Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
8 Months After Vaccine
Rollout, a Milestone
Aug 7, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
8 Months After Vaccine Rollout, a Milestone
CDC says half of all Americans are now vaccinated
- Eight months after the coronavirus vaccines got their first big push in the US, a milestone number. The CDC on Friday reported that 165.9 million Americans, or 50% of the nation, have been fully vaccinated, per Reuters . More than 58% of the total population—193,764,457 people, to...
America's Biggest Threat
Isn't China or Russia
Jun 24, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
America's Biggest Threat Isn't China or Russia
It's America itself, writes Nicholas Kristof, ticking off the way we lag other nations
- President Biden likes to exclaim that "America is back," but Nicholas Kristof begs to differ in his latest
New York Times
column. He ticks off example after example of how the US is lagging other nations in crucial ways. "Greeks have higher high school graduation rates,"...
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are
Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Jun 24, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Wildlife officials are trying to figure out what's afflicting hundreds of birds across US
- At the end of May, wildlife managers in the District of Columbia and multiple mid-Atlantic states started fielding reports about hundreds of sick and dying birds, afflicted with eye and nerve issues that couldn't be explained. Now, the mystery illness has spread to the South and Midwest, and scientists...
Europe to Welcome
Back US Tourists
Jun 16, 2021 1:03 PM CDT
Europe to Welcome Back US Tourists
Ban on nonessential travel to lift Friday, with conditions set by individual countries
- Good news for those planning a summer vacation in Europe: The European Union will add the United States to its safe travel list on Friday, lifting a ban on nonessential travelers that has been in place through much of the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports. Nonessential travel from the UK...
Plan to Share
Jun 3, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
US Unveils Plan to Share Vaccines Globally
25M doses will be distributed in initial batch, mostly through the UN
- The US will donate 75% of its unused COVID-19 vaccines to the UN-backed COVAX global vaccine-sharing program, President Biden said Thursday, per the AP . The White House unveiled the allocation for sharing a first 25 million doses with the world, part of its plans to share 80 million globally by...
Karen Is Going
to Want to Speak
to the Manager
Jun 2, 2021 6:19 AM CDT
Karen Is Going to Want to Speak to the Manager About This
Baby name Karen is reportedly at its least popular since 1932, with just 325 new Karens in 2020
- You may be hearing "Karen" thrown around a lot lately, but it's becoming less common as an actual name. Fewer newborn babies were named Karen in the US in 2020 than in any year since 1932, the Huffington Post reports based on Social Security Administration data. Karen, the...
Another Cyberattack in the US:
'Why Would They Stop?'
Jun 1, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Another Cyberattack in the US: 'Why Would They Stop?'
JBS, the world's largest meat supplier, is hit in US and Australia
- First a gas pipeline was the target of a cyberattack. Now, the world's largest meat company. JBS Inc., which has more than 150 locations around the globe, announced it was the target of an "organized" attack against some of its servers, affecting IT systems in the US and...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
'Year of Carnage'
12 Mass Shootings
May 24, 2021 2:57 PM CDT
'Year of Carnage' Continues With 12 Mass Shootings Over Weekend
At least 11 died, 69 wounded from Friday night through Sunday
- At least a dozen mass shootings took place over the weekend across the country, killing at least 11 people and injuring another 69. CNN combined its own stats with those from the Gun Violence Archive , as well as police and other media reports, and found the latest slew of mass...
Health Worker Accidentally
Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
May 11, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Health Worker Accidentally Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
Italian woman is doing fine regardless
- A 23-year-old Italian woman is doing well after she accidentally received six doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on Sunday. A health worker at Noa hospital in Tuscany had filled a syringe with an entire vial of the vaccine, which is to be split into six doses. It was only...
Possible 'Havana Syndrome'
Attack Hit Near White House
Apr 29, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Possible 'Havana Syndrome' Attack Hit Near White House
Federal agencies investigating at least 2 incidents in the US
- Last year,
reported that strange, apparent attacks like those that sickened diplomats in Cuba had taken place inside the US . A month later, one such incident occurred just outside the White House. A National Security Council official was sickened near the Ellipse, the oval lawn on the White House'...
It's a 'Healthy Step
Forward' for US, Iran
Apr 2, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
It's a 'Healthy Step Forward' for US, Iran
Countries to begin indirect talks on nuclear deal compliance
- The US and Iran said Friday that they would start indirect talks with other major world powers next week to try to get both countries back into an accord limiting Iran's nuclear program. The move comes nearly three years after former President Trump pulled the US out of the...
Scientists Unravel Mystery
Ailment of Bald Eagles
Mar 26, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Scientists Unravel Mystery Ailment of Bald Eagles
New study attributes deaths to toxin triggered by bromide
- For the last 25 years, a mysterious ailment has been killing bald eagles in the US and leaving them with holes in their brains. Researchers identified vacuolar myelinopathy (VM), a deadly condition that brings on paralysis, blindness, and seizures in bald eagles and their prey, including fish, turtles, snakes, and...
COVID Variant Is Found
Mar 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'Double Mutant' COVID Variant Is Found
India analyzes samples, while Brazil sets another death record
- There's now a "double mutant" variant of the novel coronavirus spreading in India. The nation's Health Ministry said Wednesday that a double variant—two mutations in the same virus—was detected in the country, along with other variants first discovered in the UK (B.1.1.7),...
US Has Unused Vaccine,
and Europe Wants It
Mar 12, 2021 2:46 PM CST
US Has Unused Vaccine, and Europe Wants It
US, which hasn't yet approved AstraZeneca vaccine, has tens of millions of doses that other nations want now
- There's no approval yet for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the States, but in many countries there is—and those countries are miffed that in the meantime, the US is hoarding tens of millions of doses that could be getting injected into arms overseas. On Thursday, European Union sources told...
After Weeks of Foreshadowing,
a Move by Biden on Russia
Mar 2, 2021 8:55 AM CST
After Weeks of Foreshadowing, a Move by Biden on Russia
Officials, businesses there hit with sanctions over Navalny poisoning, imprisonment
- The Biden administration announced sanctions of Russian officials and businesses Tuesday related to the poisoning and jailing of opposition leader Alexei Navalny , whose detention drew tens of thousands of protesters out into the streets of Russian cities this winter. Senior administration officials announced the sanctions but didn't immediately identify...
US Leg Band Is Pigeon's
Saving Grace in Australia
Jan 15, 2021 8:02 AM CST
US Leg Band Is Pigeon's Saving Grace in Australia
Well, the fact that it was counterfeit, that is
- A pigeon in Australia can coo in peace after his marking as an American almost got him killed . The emaciated pigeon, spotted Dec. 26 in Melbourne, was wearing a leg band that identified it as a racing pigeon who'd left Oregon in October. Australian authorities therefore assumed the pigeon—...
Kim Jong Un Slams
N. Korea's 'Biggest Enemy'
Jan 9, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Kim Jong Un Slams N. Korea's 'Biggest Enemy'
Spoiler alert: That would be the United States
- President-elect Biden is on the brink of moving into the White House, but as far as Kim Jong Un is concerned, that doesn't change how he views the United States. In fact, per North Korean state media, Kim says the US remains his nation's "biggest enemy" and...
Amid 'Dire Circumstances,'
a New COVID Record
Jan 7, 2021 8:24 AM CST
Amid 'Dire Circumstances,' a New COVID Record
United States registers record number of deaths from virus, 2 days in a row
- The United States saw its deadliest day of the pandemic on Wednesday, with 3,865 new COVID deaths registered, per Johns Hopkins stats—beating the previous record of 3,775 deaths, which had been registered only the day before, ABC News reports. In an additional two-day streak, the nation saw...
Getting Vaccine to Iran
Dec 28, 2020 10:10 AM CST
US Philanthropists Getting Vaccine to Iran
Unidentified group aims to ship 150K doses of Pfizer vaccine to hard-hit country
- An unidentified group of US-based philanthropists plans to send 150,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine to Iran in the coming weeks, Iranian media reported Monday, per the AP . Details remained scarce in the report by the semiofficial Tasnim News Agency. It quoted the chief of the country's Red...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Report Details Abuse Coverup by Southern Baptist Leaders
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.