Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia Weighs In on
Tucker Carlson's Firing
Apr 26, 2023 8:40 AM CDT
Russia Weighs In on Tucker Carlson's Firing
Lavrov calls the move 'curious,' state TV hosts blame the US government
- Tucker Carlson has a lot of sympathizers in Russia, not only those who've offered him jobs on Russian state TV, but Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov himself. While speaking on the topic of freedom of speech at the United Nations on Tuesday, Lavrov brought up Carlson's surprise ouster from...
Russia to Lead UN Security
Council. Ukraine's Not Happy
Mar 31, 2023 1:59 PM CDT
Russia to Lead UN Security Council. Ukraine's Not Happy
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says Russia shouldn't get to hold monthlong seat
- More than a year after it started, the Russian invasion of Ukraine continues, leaving a murky but significant death toll and prompting the International Criminal Court to issue an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin. It's business as usual, however, at the United Nations Security Council, where Russia...
On the G20 Sidelines,
an 'Unexpected' Huddle
Mar 2, 2023 9:50 AM CST
On the G20 Sidelines, an 'Unexpected' Huddle
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov briefly meet
- At a G20 meeting in India's New Delhi on Thursday, Russia took the opportunity to slam calls from the West to end its war in Ukraine. On the sidelines of that meeting, however, another surprise get-together was taking place: that of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Russian...
With One of Its Own
Dec 27, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Russia Answers Ukraine Ultimatum With One of Its Own
Moscow demands that Ukraine demilitarize
- Will Russia and Ukraine have peace talks? Vladimir Putin raised the possibility , but the two nations sound worlds apart at the moment based on their latest statements. On Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned that Ukraine must meet Moscow's demand for "demilitarization" and "denazification," as...
Putin to Skip
'Saves Him the
Nov 10, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Putin to Skip G20 Summit: 'Saves Him the Embarrassment'
Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky to attend events in Bali as virtual guest
- Vladimir Putin will be missing from the G20 summit next week amid a series of setbacks for Russia in its war in Ukraine—though he might appear via video. That's according to officials at the Russian Embassy in Indonesia, where leaders of the world's 20 largest economies will...
Russia: Our Goal
Is to Oust Zelensky
Jul 25, 2022 8:04 AM CDT
Russia: Our Goal Is to Oust Zelensky
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says administration of Zelensky is an 'absolutely unacceptable regime'
- Russia's top diplomat said Moscow’s overarching goal is to topple the government of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, reports the AP , making Russian war aims more explicit as its forces keep pummeling Ukraine with artillery barrages and airstrikes . The remark from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov comes amid Ukraine'...
Russia Is Ready to Push
Further Into Ukraine: Lavrov
Jul 21, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Russia Is Ready to Push Further Into Ukraine: Lavrov
He says the 'geography' of the conflict has changed
- Russia is no longer interested in occupying only Ukraine's eastern Donbas region, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an interview with Russian state media published Wednesday. After the US said it would give Ukraine more long-range weapons, Lavrov said that would force the Russian objectives to change, the...
May 5, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Israel: Putin Apologized Over Hitler Comment
Russia's foreign minister said Hitler had 'Jewish blood'
Israel says Vladimir Putin has apologized for his foreign minister's controversial remarks about Hitler, reports the BBC . Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Putin apologized during a phone call for the comments made by Sergey Lavrov that Hitler had "Jewish blood," like Ukraine's leader. Bennett...
Eastern Push Is
Apr 19, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Russia's Lavrov: Eastern Push Is 'Very Important Moment'
Foreign minister also downplays risk of nuclear weapons
- Russia's foreign minister has confirmed what has been obvious over the last day or so: The Russian military has begun a new phase in its invasion of Ukraine, one aimed at conquering the eastern region of Donbas. "This operation in the east of Ukraine is aimed as it...
US Sanctions Putin's
2 Adult Daughters
Apr 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Sanctions Putin's 2 Adult Daughters
As well as some other big names
- The US on Wednesday announced sanctions targeting Vladimir Putin's two adult daughters and said it was toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for "war crimes" in Ukraine. Mariya Putina and Katerina Tikhonova are daughters Putin had with former Aeroflot flight attendant Lyudmila Putina, reports the
Russian Minister Slams
'Pathetic Outcries' Over
Mar 10, 2022 6:43 AM CST
Russian Minister Slams 'Pathetic Outcries' Over Hospital Attack
Mariupol officials say 3 people, including a child, were killed in strike on maternity hospital
- The Russian strike on a maternity hospital in Mariupol on Wednesday killed at least three people, including a child, the city council confirmed Thursday. Officials in the besieged Ukrainian city say at least 17 people were injured in the bombing, including women waiting to give birth, the AP reports. The...
No Progress Made in
'Difficult' Russia-Ukraine Talks
Mar 10, 2022 4:16 AM CST
No Progress Made in 'Difficult' Russia-Ukraine Talks
Foreign ministers met for high-level talks during summit in Turkey
This story has been updated with remarks from the ministers
. Talks between the foreign ministers of Russia and Ukraine took place on the sidelines of a diplomatic summit in Turkey on Thursday. An official photograph showed Russia’s Sergey Lavrov flanked by two advisers sitting across from his Ukrainian counterpart...
The Situation in Which
Russia Could Go Nuclear
Mar 2, 2022 11:32 AM CST
The Situation in Which Russia Could Go Nuclear
'Would he?' is a question being asked and debated
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned Wednesday that were World War III to begin, it would involve nuclear weapons, reports Reuters . A few days earlier, Vladimir Putin announced he was putting the nation's nuclear deterrent forces on high alert, suggesting he was transitioning the country's nukes to a...
Diplomats Walk Out During
Speech by Russia's Lavrov
Mar 1, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Diplomats Walk Out During Speech by Russia's Lavrov
At another world forum, Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky received a standing ovation
- How much of the world views the war in Ukraine was illustrated in the reaction to two speeches on Tuesday. In Brussels, diplomats with the European Union gave Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky a lengthy standing ovation, reports the Hill . In Geneva, diplomats from around 40 nations walked out on a...
Blinken: Russia Could Attack
Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Jan 19, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Blinken: Russia Could Attack Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Secretary of state spoke from Kyiv on Wednesday
- It's a week of heavy meetings for Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who on Wednesday met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ahead of a face-to-face with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Friday. In Kyiv, Blinken offered a message of support in the face of a buildup of Russian...
Russia Floats New Theory
on Navalny Poisoning
Nov 12, 2020 6:05 PM CST
Russia Floats New Theory on Navalny Poisoning
Foreign minister says attack could have happened in Germany or en route
- Russia added a twist Thursday to its pushback against suspicions that it poisoned Alexei Navalny. Maybe the opposition leader was poisoned, as Navalny and Germany contend, but not in Russia. "We have all grounds to believe that everything which had happened to him from the point of view of...
Calls With Putin,
Sep 28, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
WH Concealed Calls With Putin, Crown Prince: Report
As well as reported convo in which Trump told Russians election interference didn't concern him
- As an impeachment inquiry into President Trump gains momentum after a whistleblower complaint regarding his July phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky, more stories are breaking that suggest a concealment like the one alleged after the Trump-Zelensky call may not have been limited to that call. Sources tell CNN...
Jul 22, 2018 8:09 AM CDT
Russia: OK, Release Our Accused Spy
Moscow calls charges against Maria Butina 'fabricated,' asks Pompeo to release her
- The week of Russia whiplash continues , with Moscow now demanding the release of a Russian woman accused of being a covert spy , reports the
New York Times .
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov made the request Saturday during a phone call to counterpart Mike Pompeo in which he "stressed that the...
Russia: Britain Staged
Syrian Chemical Attack
Apr 13, 2018 1:14 PM CDT
Russia: Britain Staged Syrian Chemical Attack
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says whole thing was set up as part of 'Russophobic campaign'
- As the world watches to see what US President Trump will do in the wake of a suspected chemical attack widely believed to have been carried out by the Syrian government against its own people, there's another theory floating around courtesy of Russia. The BBC reports that, according to...
Will Expand US
Mar 16, 2018 6:08 AM CDT
Russia Responds to Sanctions, Will Expand US 'Black List'
It'll add more Americans to its sanctions list: Sergei Ryabkov
- Hours after the Trump administration announced sanctions against 19 individuals and five entities in response to Russian meddling in the 2016 election, Russia vowed to respond in kind. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov on Friday said Russia would be adding more Americans to its own sanctions list. "From the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.