Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 5, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Israel: Putin Apologized Over Hitler Comment
Russia's foreign minister said Hitler had 'Jewish blood'
Israel says Vladimir Putin has apologized for his foreign minister's controversial remarks about Hitler, reports the BBC . Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Putin apologized during a phone call for the comments made by Sergey Lavrov that Hitler had "Jewish blood," like Ukraine's leader. Bennett...
Eastern Push Is
Apr 19, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Russia's Lavrov: Eastern Push Is 'Very Important Moment'
Foreign minister also downplays risk of nuclear weapons
- Russia's foreign minister has confirmed what has been obvious over the last day or so: The Russian military has begun a new phase in its invasion of Ukraine, one aimed at conquering the eastern region of Donbas. "This operation in the east of Ukraine is aimed as it...
US Sanctions Putin's
2 Adult Daughters
Apr 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Sanctions Putin's 2 Adult Daughters
As well as some other big names
- The US on Wednesday announced sanctions targeting Vladimir Putin's two adult daughters and said it was toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for "war crimes" in Ukraine. Mariya Putina and Katerina Tikhonova are daughters Putin had with former Aeroflot flight attendant Lyudmila Putina, reports the
Russian Minister Slams
'Pathetic Outcries' Over
Mar 10, 2022 6:43 AM CST
Russian Minister Slams 'Pathetic Outcries' Over Hospital Attack
Mariupol officials say 3 people, including a child, were killed in strike on maternity hospital
- The Russian strike on a maternity hospital in Mariupol on Wednesday killed at least three people, including a child, the city council confirmed Thursday. Officials in the besieged Ukrainian city say at least 17 people were injured in the bombing, including women waiting to give birth, the AP reports. The...
No Progress Made in
'Difficult' Russia-Ukraine Talks
Mar 10, 2022 4:16 AM CST
No Progress Made in 'Difficult' Russia-Ukraine Talks
Foreign ministers met for high-level talks during summit in Turkey
This story has been updated with remarks from the ministers
. Talks between the foreign ministers of Russia and Ukraine took place on the sidelines of a diplomatic summit in Turkey on Thursday. An official photograph showed Russia’s Sergey Lavrov flanked by two advisers sitting across from his Ukrainian counterpart...
The Situation in Which
Russia Could Go Nuclear
Mar 2, 2022 11:32 AM CST
The Situation in Which Russia Could Go Nuclear
'Would he?' is a question being asked and debated
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned Wednesday that were World War III to begin, it would involve nuclear weapons, reports Reuters . A few days earlier, Vladimir Putin announced he was putting the nation's nuclear deterrent forces on high alert, suggesting he was transitioning the country's nukes to a...
Diplomats Walk Out During
Speech by Russia's Lavrov
Mar 1, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Diplomats Walk Out During Speech by Russia's Lavrov
At another world forum, Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky received a standing ovation
- How much of the world views the war in Ukraine was illustrated in the reaction to two speeches on Tuesday. In Brussels, diplomats with the European Union gave Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky a lengthy standing ovation, reports the Hill . In Geneva, diplomats from around 40 nations walked out on a...
Blinken: Russia Could Attack
Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Jan 19, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Blinken: Russia Could Attack Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Secretary of state spoke from Kyiv on Wednesday
- It's a week of heavy meetings for Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who on Wednesday met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ahead of a face-to-face with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Friday. In Kyiv, Blinken offered a message of support in the face of a buildup of Russian...
Russia Floats New Theory
on Navalny Poisoning
Nov 12, 2020 6:05 PM CST
Russia Floats New Theory on Navalny Poisoning
Foreign minister says attack could have happened in Germany or en route
- Russia added a twist Thursday to its pushback against suspicions that it poisoned Alexei Navalny. Maybe the opposition leader was poisoned, as Navalny and Germany contend, but not in Russia. "We have all grounds to believe that everything which had happened to him from the point of view of...
Calls With Putin,
Sep 28, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
WH Concealed Calls With Putin, Crown Prince: Report
As well as reported convo in which Trump told Russians election interference didn't concern him
- As an impeachment inquiry into President Trump gains momentum after a whistleblower complaint regarding his July phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky, more stories are breaking that suggest a concealment like the one alleged after the Trump-Zelensky call may not have been limited to that call. Sources tell CNN...
Jul 22, 2018 8:09 AM CDT
Russia: OK, Release Our Accused Spy
Moscow calls charges against Maria Butina 'fabricated,' asks Pompeo to release her
- The week of Russia whiplash continues , with Moscow now demanding the release of a Russian woman accused of being a covert spy , reports the
New York Times .
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov made the request Saturday during a phone call to counterpart Mike Pompeo in which he "stressed that the...
Russia: Britain Staged
Syrian Chemical Attack
Apr 13, 2018 1:14 PM CDT
Russia: Britain Staged Syrian Chemical Attack
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says whole thing was set up as part of 'Russophobic campaign'
- As the world watches to see what US President Trump will do in the wake of a suspected chemical attack widely believed to have been carried out by the Syrian government against its own people, there's another theory floating around courtesy of Russia. The BBC reports that, according to...
Will Expand US
Mar 16, 2018 6:08 AM CDT
Russia Responds to Sanctions, Will Expand US 'Black List'
It'll add more Americans to its sanctions list: Sergei Ryabkov
- Hours after the Trump administration announced sanctions against 19 individuals and five entities in response to Russian meddling in the 2016 election, Russia vowed to respond in kind. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov on Friday said Russia would be adding more Americans to its own sanctions list. "From the...
Japan Buying Missiles That
Can Strike North Korea Bases
Dec 8, 2017 11:35 AM CST
Japan Buying Missiles That Can Strike North Korea Bases
But defense minister says it will still mainly rely on US protection
- While North Korea keeps up its taunting missile tests , Japan is making plans of its own, with North Korea seemingly in its sights. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Japan is set to purchase extended-range missiles that could hit the North's military bases. The country's Defense Ministry says it...
Consulate Closure Is Fair?
Yeah, Right, Says Russia
Sep 1, 2017 8:11 AM CDT
Consulate Closure Is Fair? Yeah, Right, Says Russia
Russian foreign minister suggests move was meant 'to hurt' his country
- US officials may have described its order that Russia close its consulate in San Francisco and diplomatic annexes in New York and Washington by Saturday as a fair response to the slashing of the number of American diplomatic staff in Russia, but that's not how Moscow sees it. Russian...
Questions for Russia
Aug 7, 2017 9:46 AM CDT
Tillerson Had 'Clarifying' Questions for Russia
Regarding the expulsion of US diplomats, embassy staff
- Mark your calendars: The US will make up its mind by Sept. 1 on how to respond to Russia's expulsion of 755 diplomats , Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Monday. The news followed a meeting between Tillerson and Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in the Philippines, during which Tillerson says...
Sources: Info Trump Gave to
Russia Came From Israeli Spy
May 17, 2017 2:01 AM CDT
Sources: Info Trump Gave to Russia Came From Israeli Spy
And those sources say the intelligence wasn't supposed to be shared
- President Trump won't be in Israel until next week, but he may have already angered his hosts: The classified information that he shared with Russian diplomats was provided by Israel, which is unlikely to be thrilled about information gathered by its spy network being given to a country with...
McCain Compares Trump
Scandals to Watergate
May 17, 2017 12:23 AM CDT
McCain Compares Trump Scandals to Watergate
'The shoes continue to drop,' he says
- Sen. John McCain says the latest revelations out of the Trump White House are "at a point where it's of Watergate size and scale." The Arizona Republican, speaking Tuesday night at a dinner where he was receiving the International Republican Institute's Freedom Award, said, "We'...
GOP Senator on Alleged Leak:
Trump in 'Downward Spiral'
May 16, 2017 6:28 AM CDT
GOP Senator on Alleged Leak: Trump in 'Downward Spiral'
Story claiming Trump disclosed classified info to Russians leads to a dramatic night
- The news that President Trump had allegedly shared highly classified information with Russian officials led to a dramatic night in Washington, DC, Monday, with lawmakers from both parties expressing shock and White House officials issuing denials. In what the AP calls one of the most bizarre moments, National Security Adviser...
This White House Photo
Is Causing a Controversy
May 11, 2017 6:44 AM CDT
This White House Photo Is Causing a Controversy
Photographer from Russia's state news agency took it, but US media was shut out
- It's an otherwise unremarkable image of the photo-op variety, showing President Trump shaking hands with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in the Oval Office on Wednesday. But it's causing a fuss because of how it came to be. The meeting was closed to the media, but Russia's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.