Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Apr 11, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Chicago beats out Atlanta in something of a surprise
- Democrats have chosen Chicago to host their 2024 national convention, reports the AP , trying to keep the party's momentum going after last fall's midterm success in the critical Midwest. The decision, confirmed by a Democratic official who spoke on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity before an official...
Yang, Louis-Dreyfus Riff on
Pence's Name as DNC Wraps
Aug 20, 2020 11:02 PM CDT
Yang, Louis-Dreyfus Riff on Pence's Name as DNC Wraps
And Joe Biden is now the official Democratic nominee
- The Democratic National Convention wrapped up Thursday night with Joe Biden formally accepting the party's nomination for president, ending four nights of appearances by such political VIPs as Barack and Michelle Obama, VP nominee Kamala Harris, Hillary and Bill Clinton, and many more urging people to vote for him....
'No Former President Has
Ever Attacked' Like Obama Did
Aug 20, 2020 5:41 AM CDT
'No Former President Has Ever Attacked' Like Obama Did
Historian tweets that Obama's convention speech was unprecedented
- The barbs were flying between President Trump and his predecessor before night 3 of the Democratic National Convention even began. Excerpts of Barack Obama's DNC speech were released in advance, including his comment that he had once hoped Trump "might show some interest in taking the job seriously....
Bill Clinton 'Eviscerates' Trump
Aug 19, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Bill Clinton 'Eviscerates' Trump
Plus, Biden officially becomes the Democratic nominee for president on 2nd night of DNC
- NBC News uses the word "eviscerates" to describe Bill Clinton's treatment of President Trump during the former president's speech at night No. 2 of the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday. "If you want a president who defines the job as spending hours a day watching...
Cindy McCain Speaks at DNC,
but One Thing Is Unclear
Aug 19, 2020 2:12 AM CDT
Cindy McCain Speaks at DNC, but One Thing Is Unclear
Specifically: whether she actually endorsed Biden
- Joe Biden and John McCain had an "unlikely friendship," said Cindy McCain while speaking Tuesday night at the virtual Democratic National Convention. They met when Biden was a young senator and McCain a Senate liaison for the Navy, and their relationship progressed to the point that their families...
Now in 2 States, a
for Dems Voting
Jul 8, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Now in 2 States, a 'No-Excuse Option' for Dems Voting in Caucuses
DNC mandate in Iowa, Nevada aims to boost voter participation by allowing for phone voting
- Democrats in the early presidential contest states of Iowa and Nevada will be able to cast their votes over the telephone instead of showing up at their states' traditional neighborhood caucus meetings next February, per plans unveiled by the state parties. The tele-caucus systems, the result of a mandate from...
for First Debate
Jun 11, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
NBC Announces 5 Moderators for First Debate
Dems' debate will air on NBC stations across the country, 'a rarity'
- The first Democratic presidential debate is a little more than two weeks away, and the moderators have been announced: Rachel Maddow, Savannah Guthrie, Lester Holt, Chuck Todd, and Jose Diaz-Balart of Telemundo. The debate, which will take place in two parts on June 26 and 27 in Miami, will air...
Securing a Debate Slot Just
Got Tougher for Democrats
May 29, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Securing a Debate Slot Just Got Tougher for Democrats
The second round of primary debates has new thresholds
- The Democratic National Committee is upping the ante for its second round of presidential primary debates, doubling the polling and grassroots fundraising requirements from its initial summer debates. The parameters, announced Wednesday, are likely to help cull a crop of 24 candidates and, in the process, intensify scrutiny on Democratic...
DNC Pledge, but
Mar 6, 2019 7:31 AM CST
Sanders Signs DNC Pledge, but Another Filing Raises Eyebrows
Bernie vows to be a Democrat for 2020, but for 2024 Senate reelection it's back to independent
- Anyone miffed that a longtime independent senator is hoping to gain the Democratic Party's nomination for president can take comfort that he's vowing to stick by the party—for now, at any rate. Per NBC News , Vermont's Bernie Sanders has inked a "loyalty pledge" with the...
'Hack' of DNC
Was Actually a Test
Aug 23, 2018 8:59 AM CDT
'Hack' of DNC Was Actually a Test
Democratic National Committee says recent breach wasn't a breach after all
- This week, the Democratic National Committee raised the alarm to the FBI about an attempt to hack its system through a phishing scheme. On Thursday, however, the DNC said it has since learned that the hack wasn't a hack after all—it was a security test, reports the
DNC Notified of Attempt
to Hack Voter Database
Aug 22, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
DNC Notified of Attempt to Hack Voter Database
The 'spearphishing' attack was reportedly thwarted
- The FBI is reportedly investigating a sophisticated—but unsuccessful—attempt to hack into the Democratic National Committee's voter database. The DNC learned of the attempt on Tuesday, CNN reports. The attack, which was detected by a cloud service provider and a security research company, involved a fake login page...
US Indicts 12 Russians
in 2016 Election Hack
Jul 13, 2018 12:20 PM CDT
US Indicts 12 Russians in 2016 Election Hack
Intelligence officers allegedly got into Democratic emails
- President Trump will have a talking point when he meets with Vladimir Putin in a few days: Twelve Russian intelligence officers were indicted on charges they hacked into Democratic email accounts during the 2016 US presidential election and released stolen information in the months before Americans headed to the polls,...
DNC Suit Alleges
Apr 20, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
DNC Suit Alleges 'Unprecedented Treachery' From Trump Campaign
Complaint says Trump associates 'gleefully' welcomed Russia's help in tilting election
- It was a "brazen attack on US soil" during the 2016 election, claims the Democratic National Committee—and now it's suing the Russian government, WikiLeaks, and Donald Trump's campaign for "unprecedented treachery." The
reports the DNC filed its complaint Friday in New York...
Report: Guccifer a Russian Spy
Who Forgot to Use His VPN
Mar 23, 2018 11:43 AM CDT
Report: Guccifer a Russian Spy Who Forgot to Use His VPN
Daily Beast has the scoop on supposed 'lone' hacker who might be Russian intelligence
- It's hard to beat a Russian spy at his or her own game, but sometimes all it takes is forgetting to use one's anonymity shroud online. That's per Mashable , which offers a condensed breakdown of the Daily Beast 's deeper dive into a startling claim about...
Donna Brazile Suggests DNC
Rigged Nomination for Clinton
Nov 2, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Donna Brazile Suggests DNC Rigged Nomination for Clinton
Hillary's campaign asserted control of party finances long before she was nominee
- Donna Brazile is out with a withering account alleging that the Democratic National Committee worked in cahoots with the Hillary Clinton campaign to make sure Clinton ended up as the nominee. The account, headlined "Inside Hillary Clinton's Secret Takeover of the DNC," is excerpted from an upcoming...
Democrats Get Clobbered by
Republicans in July Fundraising
Aug 20, 2017 3:30 PM CDT
Democrats Get Clobbered by Republicans in July Fundraising
The DNC hauled in a measly $3.8M to the RNC's $10.2M
- Despite enormous grassroots momentum and a historically unpopular president, the Democratic Party is badly trailing its Republican counterpart when it comes to fundraising. On Friday the Democratic National Committee announced that it had raised just $3.8 million in July, its worst number in that month since 2007, the Hill...
Russian Lawyer: Trump Jr.
Asked Only One Question
Jul 11, 2017 9:16 AM CDT
Russian Lawyer: Trump Jr. Asked Only One Question
He wanted to know if she had info on iffy financial donations to Democrats
- The Russian lawyer who has emerged front and center in the new Trump-Russia stories tells NBC News that she has no ties to the Kremlin or any damning information about Hillary Clinton or Democrats. In describing her 20- to 30-minute meeting with Donald Trump Jr. last year, Natalia Veselnitskaya said...
PI Claims DNC Staffer's Murder
Is Connected to WikiLeaks
May 16, 2017 12:58 PM CDT
PI Claims DNC Staffer's Murder Is Connected to WikiLeaks
But Seth Rich's family says claims are 'unsubstantiated' conspiracy theories
- The family of a murdered DNC staffer is fighting back against a private investigator's claims he was in contact with WikiLeaks prior to his death and may have been murdered in connection to his work at the DNC. Seth Rich, 27, was shot and killed last July during what...
All DNC Staffers Told to
Turn in Resignation Letters
Mar 29, 2017 12:48 AM CDT
All DNC Staffers Told to Turn in Resignation Letters
Tom Perez is cleaning house
- It's housecleaning time at the Democratic National Committee: The party's governing body has asked all staff members to submit resignation letters dated April 15. Sources tell NBC News that the request was made soon after Tom Perez was elected as the new DNC chief in late February. A...
Committee Has a
Feb 25, 2017 2:54 PM CST
Democratic National Committee Has a New Chair
Tom Perez defeats Rep. Keith Ellison on Saturday
- Tom Perez was elected as the new chair of the Democratic National Committee on Saturday, replacing interim chair Donna Brazile, Politico reports. Perez, who served as Labor secretary under Barack Obama and is a former civil rights lawyer, won during the second ballot after falling a single vote shy in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.