Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dow Jumps 500 Points,
but Is It a 'Dead Cat'?
Jun 21, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Dow Jumps 500 Points, but Is It a 'Dead Cat'?
Market is opening strong, though analysts disagree on whether the rally will be fleeting
- The stock market was making big moves again on Tuesday, but this time in a direction that should make investors happy. The Dow jumped more than 500 points in early trading on Tuesday to reclaim its 30,000 threshold. The rise of 1.6% was eclipsed by the benchmark S&...
Jun 8, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
Twitter Reverses Course on Musk Demand
Company will provide more information to help evaluate 'bot' accounts
Twitter will relent and give Elon Musk all the information he wants to help him evaluate how many bogus accounts—or bots—are on the platform, reports the
. The company will give him access to what the
describes as the full "firehose" of its daily...
This Year's Stock Market Rise
Has a Potential Hitch
Dec 21, 2021 11:16 AM CST
This Year's Stock Market Rise Has a Potential Hitch
It hinges on 5 big stocks, which makes investors worried
- If your 401(k) has done well in 2021, a Goldman Sachs analysis points to five key reasons:
Yet Another Major
Stock Dump for Elon Musk
Nov 24, 2021 8:57 AM CST
Yet Another Major Stock Dump for Elon Musk
CEO sells off an additional $1.05B worth of Tesla shares, inching closer to his 10% goal
- Elon Musk asked the internet, and it looks like he's going to acquiesce to the internet. Earlier this month, the Tesla CEO put up a Twitter poll asking if followers thought he should sell 10% of his Tesla stock, promising to "abide by the results" either way. The...
Wealth Inequality Grows, With
10% Owning 89% of Stocks
Oct 18, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Wealth Inequality Grows, With 10% Owning 89% of Stocks
Gap has increased during the pandemic, helped by the market
- Stock ownership is more concentrated than ever, Federal Reserve data show, with the wealthiest 10% of households owning 89% of US stocks. The stocks differential is reflected in the growing wealth inequity, CNBC reports, with 1% of Americans holding 32% of wealth, also a record. "The top 1% own...
New Filing by Rand Paul Raises
Securities Experts' Eyebrows
Aug 12, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
New Filing by Rand Paul Raises Securities Experts' Eyebrows
Discloses wife's COVID-related stock buy 16 months late, prompting whispers of insider trading
- Rand Paul's headline-making week isn't over yet. First the Republican senator from Kentucky was booted from YouTube for a week for spreading misinformation on face masks. Now Paul, one of the most vocal lawmakers to break with federal health officials on how to handle COVID, has made a...
It's a Banner Day
for Economy So Far
Apr 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
It's a Banner Day for Economy So Far
Retails sales surge, jobless claims reach pandemic low, and stocks reach record highs
- Thursday is starting out as a strong day for the economy:
Retail spending surged almost 10% in March thanks to factors including stimulus checks to households, warmer weather, and an increased reopening of businesses, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The spike, detailed in a new Commerce Department report, follows
Stock Value Sinks After
'Deal Made in Heaven'
Dec 2, 2020 3:40 PM CST
Stock Value Sinks After 'Deal Made in Heaven'
But stocks mostly move up after early losses Wednesday
- Stocks shook off early losses and managed to end mostly higher on Wall Street, even as weakness in technology companies weighed on major US indexes, the AP reports. The S&P 500 edged up 0.2% Wednesday after trading lower for much of the day. The Nasdaq fell slightly and...
Jim Cramer Targets 'Clueless'
Buyers as Stocks Keep Rising
Aug 5, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Jim Cramer Targets 'Clueless' Buyers as Stocks Keep Rising
On the bright side, the S&P 500 rose yet again
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Wednesday, lifting the S&P 500 to its fourth straight gain and pulling it within 2% of the all-time high it set in February, the AP reports. Companies that rely on consumer spending, banks, industrial, and technology stocks accounted for a big share of...
Markets Slump After
Weak Earnings Reports
Jul 28, 2020 3:48 PM CDT
Markets Slump After Weak Earnings Reports
McDonald's, 3M reported disappointing results
- A late slump left stocks broadly lower on Wall Street Tuesday, while cautious investors continued to push money into gold and Treasurys, leaving gold at another record high. Weak earnings from several big US companies also dampened the mood. The S&P 500 gave up 0.6% after falling steadily...
United Stock Sinks
Amid 87% Revenue Plunge
Jul 22, 2020 3:34 PM CDT
United Stock Sinks Amid 87% Revenue Plunge
But other stocks come out OK on a choppy day
- Stocks closed with solid gains on Wall Street on Wednesday but only after a choppy day of trading that pulled indexes temporarily into the red, the AP reports. The S&P 500 rose 0.6%. The bumpy day came as investors sized up a mix of company earnings and another...
Stocks Rise After Good
News Breaks on the Virus
Jul 15, 2020 3:45 PM CDT
Stocks Rise After Good News Breaks on the Virus
The S&P 500 rises 0.9% following early results on a coronavirus vaccine
- Stocks rose across the board on Wall Street Wednesday following some encouraging, though very early results in developing a coronavirus vaccine , the AP reports. Researchers said late Tuesday that one developed by the National Institutes of Health and Moderna revved up people’s immune systems in a preliminary test, as...
Caution Is in the Air
Despite Tech Gains
Jul 8, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Caution Is in the Air Despite Tech Gains
Nasdaq hits another record high
- US stock indexes drifted higher on Wednesday, as more gains for big tech companies helped make up for weakness elsewhere across Wall Street, the AP reports. Treasury yields and oil prices were also holding relatively steady. But caution still hung over markets, as gold nudged toward its highest price since...
A Day After Making
History, the Dow Dips
Jul 1, 2020 3:42 PM CDT
A Day After Making History, the Dow Dips
It's a mixed day on Wall Street despite technology gains
- Stocks are winding up with a mixed finish on Wall Street, even as gains for technology stocks pushed the Nasdaq to another record close, the AP reports. The Dow edged lower Wednesday but the S&P 500 rose 0.5%, a day after wrapping up its best quarter since 1998....
SEC Puts Damper
on Hertz Plan to
Jun 18, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
SEC Puts Damper on Hertz Plan to Sell Possibly 'Worthless' Stock
Car rental company wanted to dump $500M in common stock during bankruptcy proceedings
- After a tumultuous few months, Hertz now has another wrench thrown into its works. Unable to endure the coronavirus pandemic, the car rental company filed for bankruptcy protection last month, then noted Monday in a government filing that it planned to sell $500 million in common stock—all while warning...
Jun 17, 2020 3:22 PM CDT
S&P 500's Winning Streak Fizzles Out
The S&P 500 falls 0.4% after a shaky day of trading
- The S&P 500 gave up an early gain and ended slightly lower, ending a three-day winning streak, the AP reports. The benchmark index fell 0.4% after a wobbly day of trading. Like other markets worldwide, Wall Street took a pause following some recent gains. Treasury yields held steady...
You Might Want to Brace for
401(k) Trouble in Near Future
Jun 4, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
You Might Want to Brace for 401(k) Trouble in Near Future
Most fund managers say this current rally is too much, too fast, see turbulence ahead
- Just because stocks have scrambled nearly all the way back to their record heights doesn't necessarily mean the market is in the clear, per the AP . Stocks have a long history of making big gains within long-term down markets, only for the bottom to give out again. Such mini-,...
Jun 3, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Stock Market Says 'Protests, What Protests?'
The S&P 500 rises 1.4%
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street, extending the market's winning streak to a fourth day. The S&P 500 rose 1.4% Wednesday. Investors are hoping that the economy will continue to open up following the lockdowns put in place to stem the spread of the coronavirus, the AP...
With Banks, Retailers
May 27, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Optimism Bubbles With Banks, Retailers
S&P 500 gained 1.5% in a choppy day of trading
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Wednesday, extending the market's gains into a third day on hopes for a coming economic revival as larger swaths of the country relax stay-at-home mandates imposed due to the coronavirus pandemic and clear the way for more businesses to reopen, the AP reports....
One Stock Sector
May 20, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
One Stock Sector Plays Outsize Role Today
Wall Street has an up day as the S&P 500 rises 1.7%
- Stocks posted solid gains on Wall Street Wednesday, erasing their losses from a day earlier. Big-name investor favorites like Facebook, Apple, and Amazon helped pull the market higher, the AP reports. The S&P 500 rose 1.7%. Technology, the only sector that's holding on to a gain for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.