Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Presidential Medal of Freedom
Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Aug 31, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Paul Rusesabagina, depicted as hero in 'Hotel Rwanda,' is in custody in Kigali
- In the 2004 film
, Paul Rusesabagina was depicted as a hero who saved more than 1,200 lives during the 1994 Rwandan genocide at the hotel he managed in Kigali. George W. Bush even presented him with the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 for his humanitarian...
Sudan: a State Sponsor
of Terror No More?
Aug 26, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Sudan: a State Sponsor of Terror No More?
US proposal would free country from sanctions—at a price
- The Trump administration has offered to remove Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism—if the poverty-stricken country will fork over $330 million. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo discussed the proposal during a meeting with Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok in Khartoum on Tuesday, per the BBC , though...
9/11 Convict Slams bin Laden,
Asks for Giuliani as Lawyer
May 20, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
9/11 Convict Slams bin Laden, Asks for Giuliani as Lawyer
Zacarias Moussaoui says he now renounces terrorism
- The only man ever convicted in a US court for a role in the Sept. 11 attacks now says he is renouncing terrorism and al-Qaeda. Zacarias Moussaoui is serving a life sentence at a federal "Supermax" prison in Colorado; he was arrested in August 2001, lied to the FBI,...
Gunman Suddenly Changes Plea
in New Zealand Mosque Attacks
Mar 25, 2020 8:42 PM CDT
Gunman Suddenly Changes Plea in New Zealand Mosque Attacks
Defendant admits to killing 51 people in Christchurch
- The man who committed the worst atrocity in New Zealand's modern history when he slaughtered 51 worshippers at two Christchurch mosques unexpectedly pleaded guilty to all charges Thursday. The attacks targeting people praying at the mosques a year ago shocked the nation and prompted new laws banning the deadliest...
FBI: Virus Canceled His Flight,
But He Had Plan B to Get to ISIS
Mar 20, 2020 7:56 AM CDT
FBI: Virus Canceled His Flight, But He Had Plan B to Get to ISIS
Muhammad Masood of Pakistan was arrested Thursday in Minneapolis
- When the coronavirus canceled Muhammad Masood's flight from Chicago to Jordan, authorities say he made a plan B: fly from Minneapolis to Los Angeles, and then board a cargo ship to get to the Middle East. But the 28-year-old Pakistani doctor was arrested before getting on the plane at...
Child #2: 'That's
Mar 8, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Child: 'Balloons!' Child #2: 'That's a Bomb!'
Israel grapples with militant tactic of sending balloons over the border
- Merav Hania recalls the day her daughter stopped enjoying kindergarten—when balloons floated into her playground in Israel, the
reports. "Balloons!" the girl cried. But another child stopped her: "That's a bomb!" Sure enough, Emma huddled with other students inside as a police...
Terror Group Claims Deadly
Florida Naval Base Shooting
Feb 2, 2020 4:10 PM CST
Terror Group Claims Deadly Florida Naval Base Shooting
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula releases video claiming the attack
- Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility Sunday for last year's deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola by an aviation student from Saudi Arabia, the AP reports. The shooter, 2nd Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, was a member of the Saudi Air Force in training at the base....
Man Wearing Fake Bomb
Stabs 2, Is Shot Dead
Feb 2, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Man Wearing Fake Bomb Stabs 2, Is Shot Dead
Police say he was wearing a fake bomb
- A man recently released from prison after serving time for terrorism-related offenses strapped on a fake bomb and stabbed two people on a busy London street Sunday before being shot to death by police, officials said, the AP reports. Deputy Assistant Commissioner Lucy D'Orsi said police are "confident"...
Navy 'Hero' Died
Helping First Responders
Dec 7, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Navy 'Hero' Died Helping First Responders
Joshua Kaleb Watson was only 23
- Among three victims in Friday's Navy air base shooting, a name has emerged—and he's being hailed as a hero,
reports. "Joshua Kaleb Watson saved countless lives today with his own," his brother, Adam Watson, posted Friday on Facebook . "After being shot multiple...
FBI: $5M for
San Diego Man
Terror in Africa
Dec 3, 2019 7:11 AM CST
FBI: $5M for San Diego Man Now Supporting Terror in Africa
A new indictment, and a re-upped reward, for 37-year-old US citizen Jehad Serwan Mostafa
- Jehad Serwan Mostafa is worth quite a bit to the FBI—up to $5 million, in fact. That's how much the agency is offering for information leading to the arrest of the 37-year-old US citizen, who appears on its "Most Wanted Terrorist List," CNN reports. A new...
She Wrote Letters to Dylann
Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Nov 22, 2019 12:42 PM CST
She Wrote Letters to Dylann Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron had pleaded guilty to plotting 2 terror attacks
- An Ohio woman fixated on the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School, as well as one at a historically black church in Charleston, SC, in 2015, now knows her fate for plotting two terror attacks herself. The US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio says that...
US: 'Beatles' Members
Taken Into Custody in Syria
Oct 9, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
US: 'Beatles' Members Taken Into Custody in Syria
El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Amon Kotey were allegedly in the notorious group
- US officials say two captive British militants believed to be part of an Islamic State group that beheaded hostages have been taken into American custody and moved out of Syria, the AP reports. President Trump said earlier Wednesday that the US had moved some Islamic State prisoners amid fears they...
What Her Parents
Found Got Her Arrested
Oct 5, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
What Her Parents Found Got Her Arrested
Michelle Louise Kolts, 27, had a shocking stash of weaponry
- A Florida woman was arrested Friday after her parents made a terrifying find in her bedroom, Fox News reports. Michelle Louise Kolts, 27, had apparently stashed two dozen pipe bombs, other weapons, and books and DVDs on subjects including bomb-making and mass killing. (See tweeted images of her alleged weaponry...
Cops: Man Drove Through Mall
After 124 Online Searches
Sep 30, 2019 2:09 PM CDT
Cops: Man Drove Through Mall After 124 Online Searches
Javier Garcia charged with terrorism after Sept. 20 incident near Chicago
- A 22-year-old man who allegedly drove his SUV into an Illinois mall on Sept. 20 has been charged with terrorism, police announced Sunday. Javier Garcia allegedly entered the Sears store at the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, left without purchasing anything, then returned in his SUV four minutes later and crashed...
Judge: No Bail for
Airline Worker After
Sep 19, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Judge: No Bail for Airline Worker After 'Disconcerting' Find
Prosecutors say mechanic who allegedly tampered with plane may have ties to terrorists
- After American Airlines mechanic Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani was arrested earlier this month and accused of tampering with the navigation system of a plane he'd worked on in July at Miami International Airport, he admitted he'd done so. But he told investigators it was done out of a...
2 Women Plead
Guilty to Terror Plot
Aug 24, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
2 Women Plead Guilty to Terror Plot
Asia Siddiqui, 35, and Noelle Velentzas, 31, appeared in federal court
- Two New York women who went crazy for al-Qaeda—one of whom had an Osama bin Laden screensaver on her phone—pleaded guilty Friday to bomb-making charges in federal court, the
New York Post
reports. Asia Siddiqui, 35, and Noelle Velentzas, 31, could get 20 years each. After pleading not...
Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Jul 13, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Shocking Hotel Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Including 2 Americans and a prominent journalist
- Islamic extremists blew up the gate of a Somali hotel with a car bomb and took over the building for more than 14 hours, leaving 26 people dead before Somali forces who besieged the hotel overnight killed the attackers, the AP reports. The victims included a prominent Canadian-Somali journalist. Three...
Explosion Injures Tourists
Near Giza Pyramids
May 19, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Explosion Injures Tourists Near Giza Pyramids
South Africans were hurt on their way from airport
- An explosion injured at least 12 people on a tourist bus in Egypt on Sunday. The bus was taking 25 South Africans from the airport to the Giza pyramids area, Reuters reports; four Egyptians in a car were injured by broken glass. Three of the injured were treated at a...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic
Never Used in Southeast Asia
May 17, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
Giveaway for Plane
Bomb Plot: His Bag
Was Too Heavy
May 1, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Giveaway for Plane Bomb Plot: His Bag Was Too Heavy
Khaled Khayat convicted in 2017 plot in Australia after trying to smuggle bomb in meat grinder
- A man tried to blow up a plane carrying 400 people with a bomb hidden inside a meat grinder but was reportedly thwarted because his bag was too heavy to be checked in. The BBC reports Khaled Khayat, 51, was convicted by a jury Wednesday in Australia, where he was...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
Salvation Army Racism Guide Angers Some Conservatives
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.