Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
Iceland Cops Foil
'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Sep 23, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Iceland Cops Foil 'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Police seize firearms, ammo apparently meant to be used in terror attacks, a rare phenomenon in that nation
- A raid Wednesday in and near Reykjavik turned up not only a mess of firearms and ammunition, but also the discovery of an alleged terror plot that was apparently foiled. Gunnar Horour Garoarsson, a spokesman for Iceland's national police force, announced that four native men, all believed to be...
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old
Takes Family to Germany
Sep 4, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old Takes Family to Germany
Shaul Ladany was held in Bergen-Belsen and on Israeli Olympic team attacked in 1972
- Shaul Ladany lived through a Nazi concentration camp and escaped the massacre of 11 fellow Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. Decades later, the 86-year-old is back in Germany to visit the two places where he narrowly avoided death. On Saturday, Ladany, who was born in 1936...
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves
2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Jun 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Police investigating mass shooting in Norwegian capital of Oslo as possible terror attack
- A gunman opened fire in Oslo's nightlife district early Saturday, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital's annual Pride festival. Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran,...
Paris Attack Defendant
Apologizes to Victims
Apr 15, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
Paris Attack Defendant Apologizes to Victims
Salah Abdeslam says he decided against suicide bombing; prosecutors say his device failed
- The victims of the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris, in which 130 people were killed, have received an apology and a request for forgiveness. "I wish to express my condolences and offer an apology to all the victims," Salah Abdeslam said in court in Paris, the BBC reports....
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
Police: 'By the Grace of God,'
2 Students Thwarted Plan
Dec 10, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Police: 'By the Grace of God,' 2 Students Thwarted Plan
Police say John Hagins was talking about carrying out a mass shooting on Snapchat
- Two students at a private university in Florida may have thwarted a mass shooting Thursday by saying something. That's according to police, who responded to their alert and arrested a student carrying a collapsible semi-automatic rifle, six loaded magazines, and plenty more ammunition in his backpack. John Hagins, a...
Oct 28, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
They Cheered Against India, Now Face Sedition Charges
At least 7 arrested in India for cyberterrorism after celebrating Pakistan's cricket win
- If you're in India, you'd better cheer for India. That's the message from authorities in Uttar Pradesh, where police have arrested at least seven people for allegedly celebrating Pakistan's victory over India in Sunday's T20 World Cup cricket match in Dubai. All seven face charges...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Admits He Made It All Up
Oct 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'ISIS Executioner' Admits He Made It All Up
Shehroze Chaudhry featured in key episodes of the hit 'NYT ' podcast series 'Caliphate'
The Canadian man who pulled the wool over the eyes of the
New York Times
, among others, by weaving tales of time spent as an ISIS executioner, admitted to his lies in a Canadian court on Friday. In doing so, Shehroze Chaudhry, now 26, saw the charges against him—...
Just Got Convicted
Sep 20, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Hero Just Got Convicted
Paul Rusesabagina called terrorism trial a sham orchestrated by Rwandan President Paul Kagame
- The man whose actions were acclaimed in the movie
has been convicted of terrorism. But Paul Rusesabagina and outside observers call the trial a sham orchestrated by President Paul Kagame to silence dissent. More:
On Monday, a court in Rwanda convicted Rusesabagina and fellow defendants of forming
Judge Sentences Extremist
to Read Better Literature
Sep 1, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Judge Sentences Extremist to Read Better Literature
A 21-year-old in England was sentenced to start with Pride and Prejudice
- It’s probably not the first time someone told Ben John to read a book already. John, 21, was recently sentenced to read something more enriching than white supremacist literature or a recipe for making a bomb, Vice reports. He was found guilty of possession of information useful for preparing...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
Terrorism Alert Warns
About Eased Restrictions
May 14, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Terrorism Alert Warns About Eased Restrictions
Homeland Security says new conditions could provide opportunities
- A national terrorism alert issued Friday warns that violent extremists may take advantage of the easing of pandemic restrictions to attack. The alert does not cite any specific threats, the AP reports. But it warns of potential danger from an increasingly complex and volatile mix that includes domestic terrorists inspired...
Mar 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Nation's Ex-President Arrested: 'Political Persecution Has Begun'
Jeanine Anez denies she replaced Evo Morales in Bolivian 'coup,' calling it a 'constitutional succession'
- Bolivian President Evo Morales served for nearly 14 years before he was forced to resign in 2019 amid allegations of electoral fraud after his reelection victory. Now, the lawmaker who took over for him has been arrested. Jeanine Anez, the country's former interim president, posted a link Friday on...
Proud Boys a Terrorist Entity
Feb 3, 2021 2:35 PM CST
Canada Declares Proud Boys a Terrorist Entity
Lawmakers unanimously supported the move
- Five years after Canadian citizen Gavin McInnes founded the Proud Boys, Canada has become the first country to designate the far-right group as a terrorist organization. The group was officially added to Canada's list of terrorist entities Wednesday, along with other far-right groups including the Atomwaffen SS and several...
New National Terrorism Bulletin
Warns of Lingering Violence
Jan 27, 2021 1:10 PM CST
New National Terrorism Bulletin Warns of Lingering Violence
Alert warns of potential for politically motivated violence in wake of Biden inauguration
- The Department of Homeland Security issued a national terrorism bulletin Wednesday warning of the potential for lingering violence from people motivated by anti-government sentiment after President Biden's election. The department did not cite a specific threat, but pointed to "a heightened threat environment across the United States" that...
Couple Killed in Apparently
Random 'Terrorism Incident'
Dec 18, 2020 12:15 AM CST
Couple Killed in Apparently Random 'Terrorism Incident'
Australian couple found dead in their home
- Australian detectives suspect the deaths of an elderly couple in their Brisbane home is a “terrorism incident” perpetrated by a knife-wielding man who was shot dead by police, officials said on Friday. Raghe Abdi, 22, threatened police with a knife before he was shot dead on a highway on...
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot,
Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Dec 16, 2020 1:27 PM CST
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot, Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Kenyan man researched hijacking methods
- A Kenyan man has been indicted in a case that "eerily draws parallels" to the 9/11 attacks, the Department of Justice says. Cholo Abdi Abdullah "obtained pilot training in the Philippines in preparation for seeking to hijack a commercial aircraft and crash it into a building in the...
After 27 Years,
Sudan Is Off
US Terror List
Dec 14, 2020 3:21 PM CST
After 27 Years, Sudan Is Off US Terror List
Country is now a 'peaceful nation supporting global stability'
- A new era is dawning in Sudan, which has been taken off the US list of state sponsors of terrorism after 27 years. The US embassy in the capital, Khartoum, said Monday that 45 days had elapsed since President Trump gave Congress notice of the move, making delisting official, NPR...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.