Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 2,888,729 »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Ghostly Reminder' of Katrina Set for Destruction
New Orleans mayor says it's time for abandoned Six Flags amusement park to go
- The abandoned Six Flags in New Orleans once resounded with children's laughter and the shrieks of passengers on the thrill rides. Now the only sound is the drone of the cicadas. The amusement park on the city's eastern edge is perhaps the most high-profile, lingering, and ghostly reminder...
19-Year-Old's Alleged Plan to Get to Six Flags Is a Flop
Police say they found Jonathan Gualpa asleep in a stolen cab
- He allegedly had a plan; the execution left something to be desired. Police say a 19-year-old New York City man wanted to go to Six Flags in New Jersey. To get there, Jonathan Gualpa allegedly decided to steal a taxi. Except the NYPD was able to track it via a...
Six Flags Offers Macabre Challenge, With a $300 Prize
If you can tough it out in a coffin for 30 hours, your wallet could get a cash infusion
- If you've been dying to take a 30-hour nap in a coffin and wouldn't mind getting $300 at the end of your repose, Six Flags St. Louis has just the Halloween-themed happening for you. Per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
, that's how much the theme park is offering...
Six Flags Plans One-of-a-Kind Coaster
The Wonder Woman ride in Texas will have only a single rail
- Roller coasters typically have two rails, which can sometimes make for a rickety ride. If that bothers you, a new coaster in the works at Six Flags Fiesta Texas may either delight or terrify you—or perhaps both. The San Antonio park is constructing the Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster,...
Police: 'Human Error' Behind Girl's Six Flags Fall
Police agree there was no malfunction
- After a 14-year-old fell some 25 feet from a gondola ride and onto the crowd below at Six Flags Great Escape in New York on Saturday, park officials said they hadn't uncovered any malfunction that would have precipitated her fall. Now police are saying much the same. Though the...
Teen Tumbles 25 Feet From Six Flags Ride
Incident happened Saturday night on the 'Sky Ride'
- A teenager fell from a stopped gondola ride at an upstate New York amusement park Saturday night, tumbling into a crowd of park guests and employees gathered below in an effort to catch the victim before she hit the ground. The Warren County Sheriff's Office said late Saturday the...
24 Rescued From Stuck Maryland Roller Coaster
No serious injuries when Joker's Jinx malfunctions at Six Flags
- It took five hours to rescue 24 people stranded on a roller coaster in Maryland yesterday. Prince George's County fire officials said 17 adults and seven children were stuck at the top of the Joker's Jinx roller coaster at Six Flags America in Maryland. An assistant fire chief...
Roller Coaster Stops Dead Near Peak
Passengers at Six Flags forced to walk back down
- Roller-coaster riders in New Jersey were left stranded Friday when their ride climbed more than 200 feet and stopped dead in its tracks, Pix 11 reports. Park personnel at Six Flags amusement park in Jackson reached the passengers via access stairs, released them, and walked them back down. Nobody riding...
Dozens Dangle for Hours on Six Flags Ride
Fallen tree derails Magic Mountain's Ninja
- Around two dozen riders got more terror than they bargained for yesterday when the Ninja ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain hit a fallen tree branch, derailing the first car and leaving them suspended about 40 feet from the ground. The Los Angeles County fire department says the riders were...
Fatal Six Flags Coaster Saw 14 Injuries in 5 Years
Rosa Ayala-Goana died of 'multiple traumatic injuries': coroner
- Injury, it seems, is nothing new on and around the Six Flags roller coaster where a woman died last week . Between April 2008 and April 2013, the park reported 14 injuries tied to the Texas Giant, though three occurred before or after patrons rode it, the AP reports. The gravest...
Cops Won't Run Coaster Death Investigation
Six Flags running own investigation
- Don't expect an independent probe into the death of a woman on Six Flags' Texas Giant roller coaster : The amusement park is conducting its own investigation, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Since the death is seen as accidental, police and fire authorities aren't likely to dig deep on...
Family Identifies Victim in Coaster Fatality
Rosy Esparza reportedly killed; Six Flags remains mum on cause
- Not much more is known yet about yesterday's roller coaster fatality at Six Flags Over Texas, but the family of Rosy Esparza has identified her as the victim, reports WFAA . As details trickle out about her and the accident, Six Flags itself is staying mum. "It would be...
Woman Dies on Six Flags Roller Coaster
Park confirms death, but details still scarce
- Tragedy in Texas last night: A rep for Six Flags Over Texas has confirmed that an adult woman died while riding a 14-story-high roller coaster. WFAA has a statement from the park on the incident, which happened around 6:30pm local time: "We are deeply saddened to share that...
Hand-less Man Sues After Six Flags Won't Let Him Ride
Even though Clint Bench had gone on ride before
- A Texas amusement park enthusiast who was born without hands is suing Six Flags for refusing to let him onto a ride. Clint Bench alleges that last May a Six Flags Over Texas employee wouldn't let him on the Aquaman Splashdown (a variation on the classic log flume). When...
Dozen Stuck on Roller Coaster for Hours
Newly-opened Superman ride leaves passengers hanging in California
- A dozen Six Flags visitors expected to soar like Superman yesterday; instead, they got stuck in the air for two hours. The Superman Ultimate Flight ride at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in northern California stopped working when twelve riders were 150 feet in the air, at the ride's peak,...
10 Worst-Managed Companies of 2010
Yahoo, Boeing are new entries
- TheStreet.com has its least favorite companies listed on its site. It has two new additions and many returning losers. New to its list of the most egregiously poor performers is Yahoo. Both Yang and Bartz are dissed equally. Then there's Boeing—making the F grade for the so far...
Bankrupt Companies Now Look Like Great Bargains
Improving economy pulls companies from the brink
- For big, public companies, it's a good time to be bankrupt. With earnings skyrocketing—77% of the S&P 500 has beaten expectations so far this quarter—a lot of companies that had been left for dead suddenly have life, and their shareholders have a fighting chance of keeping their...
Six Flags Files for Bankruptcy
- Theme park operator Six Flags has declared bankruptcy, Bloomberg reports. The company has not had a profitable year since 1998 and is burdened with $2.4 billion in debt. Six Flags underwent a wide-ranging reorganization starting in 2005 when Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder became chairman. The company, whose 20...
Roller Coaster Decapitates South Carolina Teen
He wasn't on the ride but got hit while walking in a restricted area
- A teenager was decapitated by a roller coaster after he hopped a pair of fences and entered a restricted area today at Six Flags Over Georgia, authorities said. Officials are uncertain why the 17-year-old from Columbia, SC, scaled two 6-foot fences and ignored signs that said the restricted area was...
World's 10 Best Thrill Rides
Rides featuring heart-stopping plunges and gravity-defying loops
- For intense thrill-seekers blessed with strong stomachs, the
offers this list of the 10 scariest rides on the planet:
Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Mass.: Speeds of more than 77 mph and a 221-foot drop into a tunnel.
X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Maya Had Good Reason to Abandon Tikal
Atlanta Mayor to Protesters: 'You Shot and Killed a Baby'
Not 'in My Town': Woman Defaces BLM Mural
Ghislaine Maxwell's Arrest Was Far From Genteel
These 2 Names Are on the Rise as VP Candidates
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.