Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
of Raping 19-Year-Old
Intern Gets 20 Years
Sep 1, 2022 12:48 AM CDT
Lawmaker Convicted of Raping 19-Year-Old Intern Gets 20 Years
Aaron von Ehlinger won't be eligible for parole for at least 8 years
The former Idaho lawmaker convicted of raping a 19-year-old legislative intern has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the crime, the AP reports. Aaron von Ehlinger must serve at least eight years before he will be eligible for parole, 4th District Judge Michael Reardon said during the...
This Is the Best-Run
City in America
Jun 21, 2022 4:23 PM CDT
This Is the Best-Run City in America
According to WalletHub, it's Nampa, Idaho; Washington, DC comes in last
- As the US continues along on its COVID recovery path, cities are trying to get back on their feet, with local leadership trying to balance continuing pandemic issues with the other complexities of running their municipalities. WalletHub was curious which cities across America are doing best at this task, including...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
Places to Start a Career
May 16, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst Places to Start a Career
Salt Lake City is where to head
- It's graduation season, which means young adults are now earnestly seeking their first post-college jobs. WalletHub wanted to see which locations offer the best potential for jump-starting one's career, so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining two dozen-plus metrics in...
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made
Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 6:30 AM CST
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
Now there's a waiting list for Dillon Helbig's graphic novel in Boise, Idaho
- Who needs a literary agent? Not this 8-year-old author from Boise, Idaho, who just self-published and promoted his comic book in a most unique way. Turns out Dillon Helbig snuck a copy of his DIY comic,
The Adventures of Dillon Helbig's Crismis
—by "Dillon His Self"—onto...
Swastikas Found at America's
Only Anne Frank Memorial
Dec 7, 2021 12:02 AM CST
Swastikas Found at America's Only Anne Frank Memorial
Tunnels in park near Idaho memorial defaced
A park near the United States' only Anne Frank memorial was defaced, less than a year after the memorial itself was vandalized. Anti-Semitic graffiti was discovered in tunnels near the Boise memorial Dec. 4, the last Saturday of Hanukkah, and was quickly removed, NBC News reports. Swastikas and other...
Suspect in Boise
Mall Shooting Is Dead
Oct 27, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
Suspect in Boise Mall Shooting Is Dead
Police ID him as Jacob Bergquist
- The suspect in a Boise mall shooting that killed two people and injured four others has died, the Boise Police Department said Tuesday. The Ada County Coroner identified the suspected shooter as Jacob Bergquist, a 27-year-old Boise man, the AP reports. Coroner Dotti Owens said Bergquist's cause of death...
2 Dead in Idaho
Oct 26, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
2 Dead in Idaho Mall Shooting
Boise police say a suspect is in custody
Two people are dead and four others, one of them a police officer, injured after a shooting Monday at a Boise mall. The suspect is in custody, but police say they cannot yet speak about a motive, the AP reports.
Our original story from Monday follows:
First-Time Homebuyers May
Want to Check Here First
Jul 6, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
First-Time Homebuyers May Want to Check Here First
Chesapeake, Va., holds promise, as do several other Virginia cities
- With the pandemic showing signs of waning, plans that were put on hold are starting to gain new life. If you've been mulling buying your first home, some US cities may hold more promise than others. WalletHub looked at 300 cities of varying sizes across America, examining nearly two...
This Is the Most Smoothly
Operating City in America
Jun 22, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
This Is the Most Smoothly Operating City in America
Nampa, Idaho, takes the top spot, while the District of Columbia comes in last
- Keeping a city humming along smoothly is no easy task, especially during a global pandemic. With budgets to manage, services and programs to greenlight or nix, and constituents' needs to meet, local leaders have challenges at hand even during the best of times. WalletHub looked at 150 of the nation'...
'This Might Be the
Housing Market' Ever
May 28, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
'This Might Be the Most Competitive Housing Market' Ever
From Seattle to Wichita, homes are selling for well above list prices
- The red-hot US housing market is widening the gap between what a home is objectively worth and what eager buyers are willing to pay for it. Fierce competition amid an ultra-low inventory of homes on the market is fueling bidding wars, prompting a growing share of would-be buyers to sweeten...
'Wanton Waste Case' in Idaho
Involves 34 Dead Ducks
Jan 26, 2021 7:44 AM CST
'Wanton Waste Case' in Idaho Involves 34 Dead Ducks
Department of Fish and Game is asking for public's help to find person who dumped carcasses
- While much of the nation was watching the inauguration events on TV last week, someone was dumping dozens of duck carcasses behind a market outside Boise. Now, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game is asking the public to help it track down who that someone was, seeking any information...
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
This Is the Worst
US City to Drive In
Sep 1, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
This Is the Worst US City to Drive In
Oakland is no smooth ride, but you'll be cruising right along in Lincoln, Neb.
- While more of us are telecommuting during the pandemic, WalletHub notes that many prefer to drive rather than take public transportation in the COVID-19 era, so it looked at the 100 largest cities in the country to see where driving is the best—and the worst. The site examined 31...
Aug 24, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Maskless Crowd Storms Legislature
Spectators break glass door in rush to fill Idaho House gallery for pandemic session
- Angry, maskless spectators forced themselves into the Idaho House special session on the coronavirus pandemic Monday, shattering a glass door, rushing into the gallery that had limited seating because of the virus and forcing lawmakers to ask for calm in a crowd that included a man carrying an assault-style weapon....
10 Top US Cities
May 20, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
10 Top US Cities for Staycations
Being stuck close to home during the pandemic doesn't mean you can't take a break from it all
- Even, or maybe especially, amid a pandemic, thoughts of vacation are bubbling up—and the idea of a "staycation" is looking more likely for most of us. WalletHub decided to figure out which US cities are the most appealing for those remaining close to home, looking at more than...
6.5 Quake Shakes Idaho
Mar 31, 2020 9:35 PM CDT
6.5 Quake Shakes Idaho
'It felt like a wave,' says ER worker at hospital dealing with outbreak
- A large earthquake struck north of Boise, Idaho, on Tuesday evening, with people across a large area reporting shaking. An emergency room health unit coordinator at St. Luke's Wood River Medical Center, said the hospital, about 65 miles south of the epicenter, shook, but the quake didn't interfere...
Looking for a Paycheck?
Here's Where the Jobs Are At
Jan 3, 2020 10:13 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? Here's Where the Jobs Are At
With a relatively low national unemployment rate, it's a good time to be looking for work
- New year, new you—and if that revamped version of yourself includes seeking out a change in employer, WalletHub has some suggestions on where you might want to look. The site examined more than 180 major US cities, looking at more than 30 metrics in two main categories: a city'...
The Best- and Worst-Run
Cities in America
Jul 1, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
The Best- and Worst-Run Cities in America
Nampa, Idaho, is No. 1, and Washington, DC, is last in WalletHub ranking
- The best-run city in the US isn't exactly a household name. Nampa, Idaho, gets the honor in a new ranking from WalletHub . The site ranked 150 of the nation's largest cities (including Washington, DC) on a range of factors, including financial stability, education, health, safety, infrastructure, and pollution....
Here Are the 10
Safest Cities in America
Dec 3, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Safest Cities in America
These locales boast lower crime, less risk of natural disasters, and better financial security
- Feeling secure is often a top priority when people are seeking a place to settle down—and that doesn't just mean finding locales with boring weekly police logs. WalletHub looked at more than three dozen safety metrics for 180 cities, examining what automatically comes to mind when you think...
Dozens of Goats
Munch on Pretty Lawns
Aug 3, 2018 5:10 PM CDT
Dozens of Goats Munch on Pretty Lawns
No kidding: Residents are surprised to see them
- About 100 escaped goats have munched on manicured lawns in Idaho's capital city before being rounded up and hauled away, the AP reports. Multiple news outlets captured the goats calmly eating grass and shrubs in a Boise neighborhood Friday morning before a trailer arrived amid applause from neighborhood residents....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.