Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
a Second Trial
Oct 21, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
R. Kelly Now Facing a Second Trial
He was temporarily put on suicide watch after his conviction
- A federal judge on Wednesday ordered R&B superstar R. Kelly to stand trial in Chicago on child pornography and obstruction of justice charges next year after the scheduled sentencing for his conviction in an earlier sex trafficking trial in New York, per the AP . US District Judge Harry Leinenweber...
R. Kelly Case Reveals
a Disturbing Truth
Sep 28, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
R. Kelly Case Reveals a Disturbing Truth
When victims are Black women and girls, justice often comes late or not at all
- In the wake of R. Kelly's conviction as a sexual predator , one question is common in the assessments: What took so long? Accusations first surfaced decades ago, and somehow Robert Sylvester Kelly kept going. At the
, Jim DeRogatis (whose reporting helped break the case ) suggests the...
Attorney: R. Kelly Is the
Worst Predator I've Pursued
Sep 27, 2021 5:24 PM CDT
Attorney: R. Kelly Is the Worst Predator I've Pursued
Verdict marks the music industry's biggest conviction of MeToo era
- Some 13 years after he was acquitted on child pornography charges, a federal jury has found R. Kelly guilty on all counts , including sex trafficking and sexual exploitation of a child. The 54-year-old R&B star could now face decades in prison. "This is by far the highest-profile, post-#MeToo...
Jury Finds R. Kelly
Guilty on All Counts
Sep 27, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Jury Finds R. Kelly Guilty on All Counts
He faces 10 years to life in prison
- R. Kelly, the R&B superstar known for his anthem "I Believe I Can Fly," was convicted Monday in a sex trafficking trial after decades of avoiding criminal responsibility for numerous allegations of misconduct with young women and children. A jury of seven men and five women found...
in R. Kelly Trial
Sep 24, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Jury Deliberates in R. Kelly Trial
Accusers stayed for the 'lavish lifestyle,' defense says, while prosecutor calls him a predator
- R. Kelly's fate is now in a jury's hands, after weeks of lurid testimony in his sexual misconduct trial. A jury of seven men and five women began deliberating racketeering and sex-trafficking charges against the R&B superstar Friday, the AP reports. Prosecutors and defense attorneys finished their...
R. Kelly's Lawyer Likens His
Fight to Martin Luther King Jr's
Sep 24, 2021 3:36 AM CDT
R. Kelly's Lawyer Likens His Fight to Martin Luther King Jr's
'NYT' points out singer's legal woes are far from over
- As far as closing arguments go, it was a comparison that got attention if nothing else. After a six-week sex-trafficking trial, a lawyer for R. Kelly wrapped things up by comparing his client to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on Thursday. The BBC reports attorney Deveraux Cannick explained Kelly led...
R. Kelly Declines
to Testify at Trial
Sep 22, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
R. Kelly Declines to Testify at Trial
Closing arguments begin in sex-trafficking trial
- A prosecutor began closing arguments in the R. Kelly sex trafficking trial Wednesday by telling jurors that the government had delivered on its promises to prove that the R&B singer had for years commanded close associates to help him target, groom and exploit girls, boys, and young women for...
R. Kelly's Defense Team
Now Has a Tall Challenge
Sep 20, 2021 2:09 PM CDT
R. Kelly's Defense Team Now Has a Tall Challenge
Prosecution rests its case after calling dozens of witnesses who described abuse
- Prosecutors at the R. Kelly sex trafficking trial ended their case Monday after calling dozens of witnesses over the past month who detailed the government’s sweeping allegations against the singer in lurid detail. Several women and two men who were in the 54-year-old Kelly's orbit testified about how...
Witness: I Accidentally Saw
R. Kelly Abusing Aaliyah
Sep 14, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Witness: I Accidentally Saw R. Kelly Abusing Aaliyah
Accuser says she witnessed incident in 1993, when Aaliyah would've been just 13 or 14
- Two weeks into the criminal trial of Robert Sylvester Kelly (aka R. Kelly), a half-dozen accusers have alleged that the singer had sex with them while they were minors. One story, however, is now drawing extra attention: that of a woman known as Angela, who's so far the only...
Minister Speaks of Marrying
R. Kelly, Aaliyah in 1994
Sep 2, 2021 1:31 PM CDT
Minister Speaks of Marrying R. Kelly, Aaliyah in 1994
Nathan Edmond says he performed ceremony as a favor to a friend
- Nathan Edmond says the wedding he performed on Aug. 31, 1994, didn't seem like a big deal. "I didn’t think it was anybody special—I didn’t understand it at all," said the minister Wednesday in his first public comments on that ceremony, which involved a...
Male Accuser Testifies at
R. Kelly Sex Trafficking Trial
Aug 30, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
Male Accuser Testifies at R. Kelly Sex Trafficking Trial
'Louis' said he was 17 when he encountered the singer
- The first of two men who have accused R. Kelly of abuse has testified at his sex-trafficking trial. Several women have testified about their experiences with the R&B singer already. The man, using the pseudonym Louis, says he met the singer while working at a drive-thru in a McDonald’...
R. Kelly's Former
Aug 25, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
One of R. Kelly's Former 'Girlfriends' Testifies
Accuser says she was 'brainwashed,' not truthful during supportive 2019 interview
- One of R. Kelly's accusers testified Tuesday that when she sat down with Gayle King in 2019 and defended the R&B singer, she was not being truthful. The woman, who is testifying in the New York case anonymously despite having been named in the King interview, says Kelly...
R. Kelly Accuser: He Made
Me Do Degrading Things
Aug 24, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
R. Kelly Accuser: He Made Me Do Degrading Things
'Jane Doe' says he once forced her to rub feces on her face and videotape it
- Another accuser took the witness stand on Monday at R. Kelly’s sex-trafficking trial , testifying that the R&B superstar sexually abused her on his tour bus and in hotel rooms when she was still a high school student and an aspiring singer. The woman, identified only as "Jane...
R. Kelly Trial Focuses
on His Herpes Diagnosis
Aug 20, 2021 7:43 AM CDT
R. Kelly Trial Focuses on His Herpes Diagnosis
Prosecutors claim he knowingly infected multiple people, including accuser No. 1
- Jerhonda Pace—a witness in R. Kelly's sexual abuse trial who testified Thursday that she was told to dress up like a Girl Scout during sex with the star when she was only 16—further alleged that the singer gave her herpes without her knowledge. Prosecutors claim the singer...
R. Kelly's First Accuser
Makes Disturbing Claim
Aug 19, 2021 4:57 PM CDT
R. Kelly's First Accuser Makes Disturbing Claim
Jerhonda Pace, then 16, says Kelly wanted her to dress as a Girl Scout during sex
- The first woman to testify in R. Kelly's sexual abuse trial made a disturbing allegation against the entertainer on Thursday. Jerhonda Pace, now 28, says she began having sex with Kelly when she was 16, and not only did he knew she was so young, "he wanted me...
'This Case Is About a Predator'
Aug 18, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
'This Case Is About a Predator'
R. Kelly's sex abuse trial is finally underway
- A prosecutor described sex abuse claims against R&B star R. Kelly Wednesday, saying the long-anticipated trial now underway was "about a predator" who used his fame to entice girls, boys, and young women before dominating and controlling them physically, sexually, and psychologically. "This case is not about...
Prosecutors Begin Unusual
Strategy Against R. Kelly
Aug 9, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Prosecutors Begin Unusual Strategy Against R. Kelly
Singer is charged under RICO Act, more typically used for Mafia leaders
- Robert Sylvester Kelly goes on trial Monday in Brooklyn, accused of running a criminal enterprise. The 54-year-old is better known, of course, as R&B singer R. Kelly , and he's accused among other things of systematically recruiting underage girls for sex over the course of his long career. What'...
Jury Will Hear About R. Kelly's
Aug 5, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Jury Will Hear About R. Kelly's Illegal Marriage
Prosecutors say he married Aaliyah, 15, so she couldn't testify against him
- R. Kelly's federal sex-trafficking trial will begin with jury selection Monday—and the jury will be allowed to hear about the R&B singer's secret marriage to 15-year-old protege Aaliyah in 1994, a judge ruled at a pretrial hearing this week. US District Judge Ann Donnelly said the...
Prosecutors: R. Kelly Had
Sexual Contact With Boy
Jul 25, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Prosecutors: R. Kelly Had Sexual Contact With Boy
Prosecutors say he met the 17-year-old at McDonald's
- Federal prosecutors in R. Kelly's sex trafficking case say he had sexual contact with an underage boy in addition to girls, and the government wants jurors in his upcoming sex trafficking trial to hear those claims. Prosecutors aired a wide-ranging raft of additional allegations—but not new charges—against...
Weeks Before Trial,
R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Jun 8, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Weeks Before Trial, R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Remaining attorneys say singer actually fired them
- R. Kelly is to face trial in federal court in New York this August for allegedly abusing various women and girls over 25 years. But whether the trial will go ahead is now unclear, with a report suggesting the singer has fired his two lead attorneys. In a statement to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.