Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Massive Explosion at
Russian Gas Station Kills 35
Aug 15, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Massive Explosion at Russian Gas Station Kills 35
Authorities have begun criminal investigation in Dagestan
- A massive explosion at a gas station in Russia's southern republic of Dagestan killed 35 people and injured scores more, Russian officials said Tuesday. Russia's Health Ministry said 115 people were injured in the blast and subsequent fire, and 35 of them died, including three children, per the...
Clerk Who Locked
Door to Face Trial in
Gas Station Shooting
Jun 6, 2023 6:12 PM CDT
Clerk Who Locked Door to Face Trial in Gas Station Shooting
3 people locked in with gunman were shot
- A judge on Tuesday ordered a Detroit gas station clerk to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter, saying his decision to lock the door and then taunt an angry customer contributed to the fatal shooting of a bystander. Aiyash, 22, was working behind protective glass on May 6 when a customer'...
Gas Station Explosion
Kills at Least 9
Oct 8, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Gas Station Explosion Kills at Least 9
Cause of blast in Irish town of Creeslough, County Donegal, is under investigation
- The death toll from a gas station explosion that shattered a small village in northwest Ireland has risen on Saturday, as emergency workers combed through piles of rubble for people who are still missing. The AP puts the number of dead at nine (up from seven reported earlier), while other...
Gas Prices Hit
a Nationwide First
Jun 11, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Gas Prices Hit a Nationwide First
Average cost per gallon in the US is now $5, according to AAA
- The nationwide average price for a gallon of gasoline has topped $5 for the first time ever. Auto club AAA said the average price on Saturday was $5.00. Motorists in some parts of the country, especially California, are paying far above that. The national average price has jumped 19...
Pain at the Pump
Sees a New Jump
Jun 6, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Pain at the Pump Sees a New Jump
Gas prices have spiked 25 cents in just one week
- At least 10 states now claim an average gas price of more than $5 per gallon, and some of them can trace this dubious honor back to a surge over the past few days. According to AAA, the country's average increased to $4.87 a gallon on Monday, which...
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police
Tased Him at a Gas Pump
May 20, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Deputy involved has now been charged
The Florida deputy accused of accidentally setting a motorcycle rider on fire when he tased him at a Florida gas station in February has been charged with culpable negligence, a misdemeanor, the
reports. The biker, too, is being charged with reckless driving, fleeing law enforcement and resisting...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Guy in Hummer Fills Up 4
Gas Containers. Then, Flames
May 14, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
Guy in Hummer Fills Up 4 Gas Containers. Then, Flames
Vehicle burst into flames shortly after
- The latest in the US gasoline panic: A Hummer burst into flames at a Florida gas station moments after the driver filled up four 5-gallon gas containers Wednesday morning. Citrus County Fire Rescue crews were called to an intersection near the Homosassa gas station around 11am to find the vehicle...
Colonial Pipeline Is
Back in Business
May 12, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline Is Back in Business
Operations were restarted Wednesday
- The nation's largest fuel pipeline restarted operations Wednesday, days after it was forced to shut down by a gang of hackers. The disruption caused long lines at gas stations in the Southeast due to distribution problems and panic-buying, draining supplies at thousands of gas stations. Colonial initiated the restart...
Feds Warn Against Hoarding
Gasoline in Plastic Bags
May 12, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
Feds Warn Against Hoarding Gasoline in Plastic Bags
GasBuddy app buckles under demand
- The government says there's no need for Americans to be hoarding gasoline—especially not if they're going to be putting it in plastic bags. "Do not fill plastic bags with gasoline," the Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a tweet Wednesday. Other tweets urged consumers to...
South's Gas Shortage
Spawns a Brawl
May 12, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
South's Gas Shortage Spawns a Brawl
Motorist records brawl after woman apparently tries to cut long line in NC, which didn't go over well
- Tensions over a gas shortage boiled over into a brawl this week at a North Carolina gas station. After a cyberattack on Friday against the Colonial Pipeline, which delivers about 45% of the fuel sent to the East Coast, industry analysts warned gas prices could rise if the pipeline wasn'...
City's Move on Gas Stations
May Be a Forerunner
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2021 11:04 AM CST
City's Move on Gas Stations May Be a Forerunner
Petaluma, Calif., bans the construction of new stations
- The city of Petaluma, Calif., has just done something no other city in the US has done, reports Gizmodo —it banned the construction of new gas stations. And coverage of the decision suggests Petaluma won't be alone for long as a shift continues toward electric cars. Coverage:
Gas Is Cheap, Not
That You'd Notice
Mar 31, 2020 3:13 AM CDT
Gas Is Cheap, Not That You'd Notice
National average hovers around $2 a gallon, but for many motorists there's nowhere to go
- US gasoline prices have dropped to their lowest levels in four years, and they are almost sure to go lower as oil prices plunge. Price-tracking services put the national average Monday around $2 a gallon. Some stations were spotted charging under a dollar. But don't expect a stampede to...
Firefighters Find Illegal
Backyard Gas Station
Jan 11, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Firefighters Find Illegal Backyard Gas Station
Las Vegas firefighters uncovered the operation
- Las Vegas firefighters have discovered what officials described as an illegal, homemade gas station in a backyard, the AP reports. Las Vegas Fire and Rescue shared images online of the makeshift gas station discovered by firefighters Tuesday showing two yellow tanks in the corner of a walled yard with a...
Visa Issues Warning About
Buying Your Gas Like This
Dec 15, 2019 12:45 PM CST
Visa Issues Warning About Buying Your Gas Like This
Using cards at gas pumps can be risky, Visa says
- Ever wonder about the safety of using credit cards at gas pumps? Well, Visa has issued two recent security alerts ( here and here ) about cybercrime groups that have hacked North American fuel dispensers, installed malware, and culled out what appears to be unencrypted card data, ZDNet reports. Seems...
2 Dead After Blast
at Popular Gas Station
May 11, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
2 Dead After Blast at Popular Gas Station
4 injured after explosion at 'pillar of the little community' in Virginia
- Authorities say an explosion at a Virginia gas station has left two people dead and four people injured, the AP reports. Rockbridge County Fire and EMS Chief Nathan Ramsey said the remains of two people were found in the rubble of the South River Market several miles north of Buena...
Gas Station Boo-Boo: 'Mama
June,' Boyfriend Arrested
Mar 16, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Gas Station Boo-Boo: 'Mama June,' Boyfriend Arrested
Ala. charges against June Shannon, Geno Doak said to include drug possession, drug paraphernalia
- The third season of her WE TV show
From Not to Hot
premiered Friday, but June Shannon (aka "Mama June" from TLC's
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
) may not have been much in the mood to watch it, despite putting up a brave front on Twitter . TMZ reports...
Store Owner Puts Unique
Warning on Microwave
Oct 6, 2018 11:57 AM CDT
Store Owner Puts Unique Warning on Microwave
Parul Patel says he's 'sick and tired' of people warming their urine at his store
- A Florida gas station owner has placed a sign in his store asking customers not to warm urine in the microwave, the AP reports. Parul Patel says he's become "sick and tired" of people walking into his BP gas station and On the Fly convenience store in Jacksonville...
Driver Walks Away
After Airborne Car
Crashes Into Gas Station
Jun 25, 2018 3:06 AM CDT
Driver Walks Away After Airborne Car Crashes Into Gas Station
'She had an angel riding with her'
- Shelby Lynne May, a 24-year-old Mississippi woman, was charged with DUI after a high-speed crash—and she's incredibly lucky she wasn't being declared DOA instead. Video of the crash shows her sedan, which was traveling at more than 100mph, skidding into an embankment, becoming airborne, flipping in the...
Oregonians Can Now Pump
Own Gas, Do Not Like It
Jan 4, 2018 3:00 AM CST
Oregonians Can Now Pump Own Gas, Do Not Like It
'This is a service only qualified people should perform'
- Change can be a scary thing—but the rest of America isn't overflowing with sympathy for Oregonians freaking out about the fact that they're now allowed to pump their own gas. The state partially lifted its ban on self-service gas on Jan. 1, allowing people in rural counties...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.