Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You've Sung It
Plenty in Bars.
Now, This Song
Gets Its Own Film
Jul 19, 2022 9:09 AM CDT
You've Sung It Plenty in Bars. Now, This Song Gets Its Own Film
Paramount+ documentary on Don McLean's 'American Pie' is 'mandatory viewing' for fans
- Don McLean has listened for decades as people belted out his classic song "American Pie" at last call or at karaoke—and applauds you for the effort. "I've heard whole bars burst into this song when I've been across the room," McLean told the AP...
Jul 5, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trailer for Trump Documentary Emerges
Politico obtains the clip for Alex Holder's 'Unprecedented'
- The trailer for a documentary about former President Trump that caught the attention of the Jan. 6 House panel has been obtained by Politico . The approximately two-minute teaser for Alex Holder's documentary contains no bombshells. Instead, it demonstrates what Politico describes as the "filmmaker's unique access to...
of Jan. 6 Panel
Jun 21, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Little-Known Film Project Gets Attention of Jan. 6 Panel
House committee subpoenas filmmaker who had inner-circle access to Trump, shot footage of riot
- The House Jan. 6 panel gavels back into session on Tuesday afternoon, with the focus expected to be on efforts by former President Trump and his allies to pressure state officials to reject election results, reports NBC News . But Politico is reporting an intriguing new wrinkle expected to be sussed...
Hulu Users Did Not Approve
of Astroworld Special
Dec 3, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Hulu Users Did Not Approve of Astroworld Special
Service has yanked locally produced 'Astroworld: Concert From Hell' after backlash
- Hulu has yanked a news special it released this week that recapped the events of the Travis Scott concert in Houston last month that injured hundreds and left 10 people dead, including a 9-year-old boy . Per the
Los Angeles Times
, the 50-minute
Astroworld: Concert From Hell
was pulled from Hulu'...
Sensitive' Britney Audio
Sep 25, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Ex-Security Worker Alleges 'Extremely Sensitive' Britney Audio
New documentary says dad Jamie Spears had singer's phone, bedroom surveilled
- There's a new documentary out on Britney Spears, and this one makes even more damning allegations against her father, Jamie Spears. In the
New York Times'
, released Friday on FX and Hulu , "key insiders" speak about the conservatorship she's been under since 2008,...
'the Empath and
Jul 16, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
New Bourdain Film Shows 'the Empath and the Narcissist'
'Haunting,' 'brilliant,' and 'troubling' are just some of the descriptors for Morgan Neville's documentary
- It's been just over three years since celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain died by suicide at the age of 61, and a new documentary by filmmaker Morgan Neville hopes to shed some light not only on Bourdain's life, but also on the aftermath of his death.
Roadrunner: A Film
Throat Cancer, Voice Box
Can't Silence Val Kilmer
Jul 7, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Throat Cancer, Voice Box Can't Silence Val Kilmer
Actor speaks through personal footage spanning decades in new doc
- Val Kilmer's speaking ability was severely limited by an operation on his trachea, but no matter. The actor speaks volumes, through footage personally shot over four decades, in a new documentary premiering this week at the Cannes Film Festival.
utilizes home video footage "from virtually every chapter...
BIPOC Filmmakers Have a
Problem With PBS, Ken Burns
Mar 31, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
BIPOC Filmmakers Have a Problem With PBS, Ken Burns
Exclusive partnership comes at the expense of diversity, they argue
- Almost 140 filmmakers, including some who work with PBS, have signed a letter calling out the public broadcaster for a "systemic failure to fulfill [its] mandate for a diversity of voices." The letter , implying an overemphasis on white creators, notes Ken Burns, a white man, has created about...
Lawsuit: History Channel
Buried Watergate Film
Mar 23, 2021 12:48 PM CDT
Lawsuit: History Channel Buried Watergate Film
Filmmaker accuses network of quashing it to avoid offending Trump, but network disputes that
- When Charles Ferguson began planning his four-hour documentary on the Watergate scandal, which drove President Nixon from office, he envisioned a "historical detective story." But as the Trump administration progressed, he saw parallels between the events of the Nixon era and the present political moment, the
Mia Farrow: Woody Allen Will
Do Anything 'to Save Himself'
Feb 18, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Mia Farrow: Woody Allen Will Do Anything 'to Save Himself'
Comments come from new documentary focusing on child abuse allegations
- Mia Farrow says her biggest regret is meeting Woody Allen, and that she's "scared" of the Oscar-winning writer/director 30 years after their tumultuous split, in a new documentary, the result of a two-year investigation.
Allen v. Farrow
covers the better years of Allen and Farrow's relationship in...
in Hot Seat
Feb 8, 2021 7:33 AM CST
Britney Film Puts Timberlake, Diane Sawyer in Hot Seat
Not many people come out looking good in 'Framing Britney Spears,' airing on FX and Hulu
- As the saga continues to swirl around Britney Spears' conservatorship and the #FreeBritney movement that seeks to yank her out from under the control of said conservator (her dad, Jamie), a new documentary on the 39-year-old singer sheds some light on how things got to this place—and has raised...
Director's Death Leaves
Legacy Project in Limbo
Jan 16, 2021 11:46 AM CST
Director's Death Leaves Legacy Project in Limbo
Michael Apted was best known for his ongoing 'Up' documentary, which spanned decades
- So what happens in 2026? That's the big question left in the wake of the death of director Michael Apted , best known for his ongoing
documentaries . If you're unfamiliar, just know that it's "the greatest documentary television series of the last century,"...
He Killed Himself
Jan 1, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Williams' Widow: He Killed Himself Days Before Neuro Test
, a documentary about Robin Williams' final days and his struggle with a neurodegenerative disorder, has been out since September on streaming platforms and on demand. Now, his widow is speaking more on why she wanted to make the film, including about how angry she was immediately following...
It's a Photo of a
Bearded Dead Man.
Could It Be Priceless?
in case you missed it
Oct 4, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
It's a Photo of a Bearded Dead Man. Could It Be Priceless?
Some experts believe the dead man is Abraham Lincoln
- The image is haunting, depicting a gaunt-faced man with a familiar beard, staring ahead lifelessly. The right eye is bulging and appears disfigured from an unseen wound. Some experts believe the man is Abraham Lincoln, captured hours after the nation's 16th president succumbed to an assassin's bullet on...
Netflix Film Reveals Last Texts
of Chris and Shanann Watts
Sep 30, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Netflix Film Reveals Last Texts of Chris and Shanann Watts
Final messages between doomed Colo. mom, husband ranged from loving to mundane
- As Chris Watts serves life without parole in a Wisconsin maximum security prison, the story of what got him there is debuting on Netflix.
American Murder: The Family Next Door
, which begins streaming Wednesday, is, per Mashable , a "stomach-churning, emotional missing-persons story," focusing on the August 2018 disappearance...
Obama's Title in Jordan
Film Gets a Laugh
Apr 20, 2020 12:01 PM CDT
Obama's Title in Jordan Film Gets a Laugh
But director has his reasons for labeling him 'former Chicago resident'
- ESPN began airing its 10-part Michael Jordan documentary Sunday night, and one small moment from
The Last Dance
drew a bit of attention online. When Barack Obama appeared in the film, the chyron described him only as "Former Chicago Resident," notes
. Sites such as BuzzFeed and Vulture...
in Film to Protect
Jan 26, 2020 12:15 PM CST
New Technology Changes Faces in Film to Protect Identities
Process uses artificial intelligence to replace the usual shadowy images
- In documentaries, people whose identities need to be kept secret have often been reduced to shadowy, voice-distorted figures—or worse, pixelated blurs. But a documentary premiering Sunday at the Sundance Film Festival has, with the aid of advanced digital technology, gone to greater lengths to preserve the secrecy of its...
Taylor Swift Makes Big Reveal
in New Documentary
Jan 24, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Taylor Swift Makes Big Reveal in New Documentary
In 'Miss Americana,' star says she had an eating disorder
- One of the most highly anticipated films debuting at the Sundance Film Festival was
, a Netflix documentary about Taylor Swift. The film premiered Thursday night, and one big headline emerged from it: Swift's revelation that she struggled with an eating disorder, triggered by comments about her appearance,...
in case you missed it
Oct 26, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Monica Lewinsky to Make
15 Minutes of Shame
HBO Max documentary will examine the effects of bullies and the media
- Monica Lewinksy, who was nationally demonized for her affair with President Bill Clinton when she was a White House intern, has a deal to make a documentary on public shaming. She'll produce and appear in the feature-length
15 Minutes of Shame
for HBO Max, a streaming service due to...
Mom Abused Him
Aug 19, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
Patrick Swayze's Widow: 'Complicated' Mom Abused Him
Lisa Niemi reveals late husband's volatile relationship with mother in new documentary
- Patrick Swayze's mother was a "complicated woman," one the
star "absolutely loved and respected," his widow, Lisa Niemi, told
in an interview ahead of Sunday night's premiere of the
I Am Patrick Swayze
documentary on the Paramount Network. What made the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Trump Donors Respond to Push After FBI Search
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.