Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Surviving Child of
Massachusetts Tragedy Dies
Jan 28, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Surviving Child of Massachusetts Tragedy Dies
Duxbury infant succumbs to injuries days after 2 older siblings died, allegedly at hands of mother
- Prosecutors have said they plan to file murder charges against a Massachusetts mother in the deaths of her two young children on Tuesday, after which she apparently tried to take her own life. Now, those charges may be upgraded further: The Plymouth County District Attorney's Office says that the...
Have Info on the 'Doodler'?
Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 26, 2023 6:09 AM CST
Have Info on the 'Doodler'? Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Police in San Francisco up the pot to $250K, release new sketch in search for '70s serial killer
- Last year, police upped the reward in their search for the "Doodler," a serial killer from the '70s who went after gay men. Now, they've increased the pot even more, this time from $200,000 to $250,000, and released a new sketch of the suspect,...
As a Teenager,
Said He Felt
Jan 13, 2023 5:15 PM CST
As a Teenager, Idaho Suspect Said He Felt 'Little Remorse'
Bryan Kohberger wrote 'I am blank' in a mental health forum
- Online posts from Bryan Kohberger's teenage years portray an isolated, troubled youth who lacked emotion, including remorse, and felt like he was watching his life play out in a video game. The man charged in the stabbing deaths of four University of Idaho students in November once posted that...
Car Led Investigators
to Idaho Slayings Suspect
Dec 30, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Car Led Investigators to Idaho Slayings Suspect
Knife used to kill four college students has not been found yet, police say
- Law enforcement officials said Friday that investigators of the slayings of four University of Idaho students began concentrating on Bryan Kohberger after connecting him to a Hyundai Elantra spotted in the area at the time of the killings. Once they learned he had left Idaho for Pennsylvania, an FBI team...
Child Homicide Stats
Dec 20, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Child Homicide Stats Are Staggering
Child murder rate rose 28% in 2020, with Black children disproportionately affected
- Homicide is now "the leading cause of death among American children, making the United States an outlier among similarly developed nations," the
New York Times
reports. Homicides of children were up 28% in the first year of the pandemic as 2,058 children aged 17 and under were...
Murdered 'Boy in the Box'
ID'd 65 Years Later
Dec 8, 2022 11:44 AM CST
Murdered 'Boy in the Box' ID'd 65 Years Later
Philadelphia cops hope for 'avalanche of tips' in cold case murder of Joseph Augustus Zarelli
- For 65 years, Philadelphia police have worked to identify a boy found dead—beaten and malnourished—inside a cardboard box left in a wooded area in the northeastern part of the city on Feb. 25, 1957. Thanking the many people who've worked on the investigation over the decades, Philadelphia...
'Catfishing' Cop Made
Odd House Purchase
Dec 7, 2022 12:25 PM CST
'Catfishing' Cop Made Odd House Purchase
Austin Lee Edwards blacked out its windows
- The Virginia law enforcement officer who allegedly abducted a teenage girl after killing her mother and grandparents in California had threatened to kill people before. A years-old police report obtained by the
Los Angeles Times
describes a Feb. 7, 2016, incident in which Austin Lee Edwards refused medical treatment for...
Police: Teenager Charged After
Showing Homicide Victim Online
Nov 28, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Police: Teenager Charged After Showing Homicide Victim Online
16-year-old suspect texted for help disposing of girl's body, court documents say
- A Pennsylvania teenager has been charged with homicide after police say he revealed in an Instagram video chat that he'd killed someone and showed the victim's legs covered in blood. A woman who said her daughter had received the video call reported it to Bensalem Township police on...
Cops: 4 People 'Executed' at
Oklahoma Marijuana Farm
Nov 22, 2022 4:56 PM CST
Cops: 4 People 'Executed' at Oklahoma Marijuana Farm
All 4 were Chinese citizens, authorities say
- Four people killed at an Oklahoma marijuana farm over the weekend were "executed," state police said Tuesday. Investigators also said the dead were Chinese citizens. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said three men and one woman were slain on the 10-acre farm west of Hennessey, about 55...
Idaho Cops: Surviving
Roommates May Be
'Key' in College Murders
Nov 18, 2022 1:39 PM CST
Idaho Cops: Surviving Roommates May Be 'Key' in College Murders
Xana Kernodle had 'bruises' from fighting back, dad says; loved ones of other victims also speak
- "It doesn't make sense." Those are the words of Jeffrey Kernodle, father of Xana Kernodle, one of the four University of Idaho students slain last weekend in their off-campus home in the small town of Moscow, which hasn't seen a murder since 2015, per CBS 5...
Court Hears Case of Woman
Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Nov 17, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Court Hears Case of Woman Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Ellen Greenberg's parents may soon take their case to trial
- After more than a decade fighting the Philadelphia medical examiner's office on their daughter's cause of death, lawyers for Ellen Greenberg's parents made their case in front of a Pennsylvania appeals court Tuesday. "We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen...
Ex-Model Takes Plea
in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Nov 11, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Ex-Model Takes Plea in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Prosecutors say victim Thomas Burchard cut off money he had been giving to Kelsey Turner
- A former model has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal beating of a 71-year-old psychiatrist, reports
. Kelsey Turner, 29, took what's known as an Alford plea in the 2019 slaying of Thomas Burchard, meaning she maintained her innocence while pleading guilty to the murder charge....
Couple Killed Pregnant Woman
to Seize Her Child: Police
Nov 5, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Couple Killed Pregnant Woman to Seize Her Child: Police
Investigators find remains of Ashley Bush, 33, and fetus in Missouri
- A Missouri couple has been charged after, authorities say, they lured a pregnant woman with a job ad in a plot to take her child. A McDonald County prosecutor said Ashley Bush, 33, who was 31 weeks pregnant, appeared to have been shot Monday, NBC News reports. Investigators said the...
5 Years Later, an Arrest
in Murder of 2 Girls
Oct 31, 2022 9:52 AM CDT
5 Years Later, an Arrest in Murder of 2 Girls
Libby German and Abigail Williams were killed while hiking in Indiana
- Police in Indiana have made an arrest in the high-profile slaying of two girls out for a hike in Indiana five years ago. Richard Allen, 50, faces two counts of murder in the deaths of Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, reports FOX59 . Before the girls were killed near...
After Tragedy During
College Parents Weekend
Oct 5, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Dad Paul Kutz, 53, was gunned down in hotel near NY's Marist College while visiting son
- A Long Island dad of three visiting one of his sons at Marist for the college's Family Weekend was killed by a stray bullet at the hotel where he was staying.
reports that 53-year-old accountant Paul Kutz of East Northport, NY, was gunned down early Sunday morning in...
Purdue Student Allegedly
Murdered by Roommate
Oct 5, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Purdue Student Allegedly Murdered by Roommate
Police say suspect called 911
- One Purdue University student is dead and another is in police custody following an apparent homicide early Wednesday in a dorm on the West Lafayette, Ind., campus, per the
University police are investigating, but few details have emerged. In a statement, Purdue President Mitch Daniels said, "This...
ND Man Admits Running Down
'Republican' Teen: Cops
Sep 23, 2022 6:14 AM CDT
ND Man Admits Running Down 'Republican' Teen: Cops
Shannon Brandt, 41, charged with vehicular homicide in death of Cayler Ellingson
- North Dakota's attorney general is calling on political leaders to stop violent rhetoric after authorities say a man admitted to using his SUV to fatally strike a teen with whom he had a "political argument." Shannon Brandt, 41, called 911 early Sunday, saying he'd hit a...
Cops: Burned Body, Cryptic
Text, No Evidence of Abduction
Sep 22, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: Burned Body, Cryptic Text, No Evidence of Abduction
Police are investigating the mysterious murder of Deborrah Collier in Georgia
- Police are trying to solve a murder mystery in Georgia, where the naked, partially burned body of a woman was found in the woods on the side of a road. What seems to be the last known communication from Deborrah Collier, 59, was in a message sent to her daughter...
Cops Find Man
Shot Dead, Then Get
Call About His Toddler
Sep 21, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Cops Find Man Shot Dead, Then Get Call About His Toddler
Police are investigating what they say was double homicide of dad, 2-year-old son in Houston
- Houston police were searching Tuesday for a man they say is responsible for a double homicide of a 2-year-old boy and his father. Executive Assistant Police Chief Larry Satterwhite says officers were called to a shooting outside a strip mall southwest of downtown around 1:45pm, where they found a...
Report: New Orleans Is Now
America's Murder Capital
Sep 19, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
Report: New Orleans Is Now America's Murder Capital
'We’re in a crisis of crime and a crisis of confidence in this city'
- Violent crime in Chicago makes a lot of headlines, but the murder rate in New Orleans was higher even before a massive surge in violent crime over the last two years. The city now has the highest homicide rate of any major American city, with around 41 homicides per 100,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.