Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 278,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Deadly Blast, 'Then I Couldn't Find Anyone'
ISIS claims suicide bombing at Kabul wedding that killed at least 63
- The Islamic State group's affiliate in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for the Kabul wedding blast that killed at least 63 on Saturday night. A statement by the militant group posted on an ISIS-linked website on Sunday says that a Pakistani ISIS fighter seeking martyrdom targeted a large Shiite gathering...
Sri Lanka Bans Face Coverings, Including Veils
Law bans garments that 'hinder identification'
- Muslim women in Sri Lanka will no longer be able to veil their faces under an emergency law ordered by President Maithripala Sirisena that bans all kinds of face coverings that may conceal people's identities. The law takes effect Monday, eight days after the Easter bombings of churches and...
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
Sri Lanka: Warnings Were Received Weeks Before Attacks
Death toll hits 290 in church, hotel bombings
- The death toll in the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings jumped to 290 Monday amid rising public anger over reports that intelligence officials had warned of possible attacks. Rajitha Senaratne, the country's health minister, said the chief of national intelligence had warned officials on April 4 about potential attacks...
Easter Attacks: At Least 207 Dead, 7 Arrested
Sri Lanka has imposed a curfew, shut down social media
- At least eight bombs exploded in Sri Lanka , as Christians gathered to celebrate Easter on Sunday. The attacks targeted three churches and four five-star hotels frequented by tourists, as well as one blast on a highway overpass, reports the
New York Times ,
and the death toll has now risen to...
More Than 130 Killed in Church, Hotel Attacks
Hundreds hurt in Sri Lanka blasts
- At least 138 people were killed and nearly 500 hospitalized from injuries in near simultaneous blasts that rocked three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, the state-run
reports. A security official tells the AP that two of the blasts are suspected to have been...
100 Feared Dead in Taliban Attack on Military Base
Group says peace talks with US are ongoing
- A Taliban assault on a military base and police training center in a province just outside the Afghan capital on Monday killed at least 45 people, most of them military personnel, Afghan officials say. There are fears, however, that the death toll is even higher. Some government officials estimate the...
ISIS Hit Americans at Favorite Lunch Spot
2 service members among 4 Americans killed in Manbij suicide bombing
- The restaurant rocked by the suicide bomb attack that killed four Americans in Syria on Wednesday was a favorite lunch spot for troops, who'd stop for French fries and a shawarma sandwich, often several times a week. Military leaders and Sens. Lindsey Graham and Jeanne Shaheen even dined without...
10 Die in One of Most Protected Places in Colombia's Capital
Holdout rebel group suspected in Bogota attack
- A car bomb exploded at a heavily guarded police academy in Colombia's capital on Thursday, killing 10 people and injuring dozens in an attack that recalled the bloodiest chapters of the country's drug-fueled guerrilla conflict. Videos circulating on social media show panicked officers hauling injured colleagues on stretchers...
A Month After Trump Declared Victory in Syria, US Soldiers Killed
As many as 4 US service members may have been killed in suicide bomber attack
- It may have been the deadliest attack against US forces in Syria yet: A suicide bomber detonated an explosive vest amid international forces on a routine patrol in the northern town of Manbij Wednesday. It's not yet clear how many US service members were killed; per Bloomberg , the Trump...
50 Killed in Attack on Gathering of Clerics
Afghanistan death toll expected to rise
- A suicide bomber targeted a gathering of hundreds of Islamic scholars in the Afghan capital on Tuesday, killing at least 50 people as Muslims marked the birthday of the Prophet Mohammad. Another 83 people were wounded in the attack, with 20 of them in critical condition and the toll likely...
FBI: Man's Belief in 'Sortition' Led to Suicide Plot
Authorities say Paul Rosenfeld planned to blow himself up on Nov. 6
- An upstate New York man has been arrested after allegedly plotting to blow himself up on the National Mall on Election Day next month. US Attorney Geoffrey Berman calls it "a twisted plan to draw attention to his political ideology," per CBS New York . Paul Rosenfeld of Tappan...
Suicide Bomber Hits Gathering of Top Clerics
At least 7 killed in Kabul attack
- A suicide bombing targeted a gathering of Afghanistan's top clerics on Monday in Kabul, killing at least seven people and wounding nine, police say. Shortly before the attack, the clerics had issued a fatwa against suicide bombings and urged peace talks to end the Afghan war. Ghafor Aziz, police...
Church Attacks Carried Out by Family of 6 Suicide Bombers
Including 2 young daughters, ages 9 and 12
- Three suicide bombings on Indonesian churches on Sunday carried an unusual twist: They were the work of a single family that included young children, reports the
New York Times .
The AP reports that at least seven people were killed in the Surabaya explosions, as well as the six family members....
Journos Arrived at the Site of a Blast. Then Came the 2nd One
AFP says chief photographer is among victims
- A coordinated double suicide bombing hit central Kabul on Monday morning, killing 25 people, including an AFP photographer and a cameraman for a local TV station, Afghan police say. At least 45 people were wounded in the twin attacks, according to a Kabul police spokesman, who added that four policemen...
ISIS Attack on 'Apostates' Shakes Kabul
At least 57 die in voter registration center attack
- An ISIS suicide bomber attacked a voter registration center in Afghanistan's capital on Sunday, killing at least 57 people and wounding more than 100 others, officials say. Public Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majro says that among the 57 killed, 22 were women and eight were children. He says 119...
Busiest US Train Station to Start Looking for Suicide Vests
TSA testing suicide-vest detectors at Penn Station
- The Transportation Security Administration will begin testing new suicide vest-detection technology at New York City's Penn Station starting Tuesday, Sen. Chuck Schumer says. Schumer pushed for the technology to be tested in New York City after a Bangladeshi immigrant injured himself setting off a crude pipe bomb strapped to...
The Girls Are Made Beautiful, With a 'Deadly Consequence'
A look at Boko Haram's use of female suicide bombers
- The Chibok girls were infamously taken by Boko Haram in 2014. That was the same year the group used a female suicide bomber for the first time. Writing for the BBC , Vladimir Hernandez and Stephanie Hegarty look at the group's practice of using suicide bombers—noting the militants far...
Fake Ambulance Driver Kills at Least 95
Another suicide bomber strikes in Kabul
- A suicide car bomber killed at least 95 people and wounded about 160 more in an attack claimed by the Taliban on Saturday in Afghanistan's capital Kabul, authorities said. The bombing came just a week after Taliban militants killed 22 at an international hotel in the city. The attacker...
Teen Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens in Mosque
At least 50 dead in Nigeria attack
- A teenage suicide bomber detonated his explosives as worshippers gathered for morning prayers at a mosque in northeastern Nigeria on Tuesday, killing at least 50 people in one of the region's deadliest attacks in years, police say. Police spokesman Othman Abubakar tells the AP they are "still trying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here Is What's Really Behind the Toilet Paper Shortage
Lawsuits Mount Against Popular Hair-Care Line
Trump: 3M Will Have 'Big Price to Pay' Over Masks
Corona Has Stopped Brewing Beer
Jared Kushner Is Now Under a Giant Spotlight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.