Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt
in Mosque Bombing
Mar 4, 2022 11:38 AM CST
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt in Mosque Bombing
'Dust and bodies everywhere' as people gathered for prayers in Peshawar, Pakistan
- A suicide bomber struck inside a Shiite Muslim mosque in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar during Friday prayers, killing at least 56 worshippers and wounding about 200 others, hospital officials said. No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. Both the Islamic State group and the Pakistani Taliban—...
Portrait of Liverpool Taxi
Bomber Begins to Emerge
Nov 16, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Portrait of Liverpool Taxi Bomber Begins to Emerge
Police believe passenger Emad Al Swealmeen built the bomb
- British police released four men who were arrested under terrorism laws while detectives investigate a homemade bomb explosion in a Liverpool taxi and work to understand the motives of the suspected bomber, who died in the blast. Police have named the bomber as 32-year-old Emad Al Swealmeen, who came to...
Dozens Killed in
Suicide Blast at
Oct 8, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Dozens Killed in Suicide Blast at Afghanistan Mosque
Taliban officials say Shiite minority was targeted
- A blast went off Friday at a mosque packed with Shiite Muslim worshippers in northern Afghanistan, killing or wounding at least 100 people, a Taliban police official said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which took place in Kunduz, the capital of Kunduz province, but militants...
Marine Pictured Cradling Baby
at Airport Among Victims
Aug 29, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Marine Pictured Cradling Baby at Airport Among Victims
Details of Nicole Gee and other American victims have emerged
- A woman who cradled a baby in her arms at the airport and posted on social media that she loved her job. A young husband with a child on the way. Another man who always wanted to be in the military. A man who planned to become a sheriff’s...
Details Emerge of Americans
Killed at Kabul Airport
Aug 28, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Details Emerge of Americans Killed at Kabul Airport
A young dad-to-be, a 20-year-old Californian, a future policeman
- A young husband with a child on the way. Another man who always wanted to be in the military. A man who planned to become a sheriff’s deputy when his deployment ended. Heartwrenching details began emerging Friday about some of the 13 US troops killed in a suicide bombing...
US Bombs Afghanistan
After Biden Vows to Retaliate
Aug 28, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
US Bombs Afghanistan After Biden Vows to Retaliate
Unmanned airstrike hit ISIS target.
- The US military struck back at the Islamic State on Saturday, bombing an IS member in Afghanistan less than 48 hours after a devastating suicide bombing claimed by the group killed as many as 169 Afghans and 13 American service members at the Kabul airport. Per the AP , US...
Newlyweds to Blame
for Palm Sunday
Church Bombing: Officials
Mar 30, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Newlyweds to Blame for Palm Sunday Church Bombing: Officials
Suicide bombers in Indonesia were married 6 months before attack in Makassar, authorities say
- A recently married couple with suspected militant links used pressure cooker bombs to blow themselves up outside a Roman Catholic cathedral during Palm Sunday Mass, Indonesian officials said Monday. The attack wounded 20 people, including four church guards, and broke windows at the church and nearby buildings in Makassar, the...
Bombers Killed a Man First so
They'd Know 'What it Was Like'
Mar 13, 2021 4:50 PM CST
Bombers Killed a Man First so They'd Know 'What it Was Like'
Accomplice told investigators brothers picked a victim out on the street in 2014
- Suicide bombers whose 2016 attacks left 31 people dead in Brussels first shot a man to death at random, investigators said, to learn what it was like to kill. Ibrahim El-Bakraoui carried out a suicide bombing at Zaventem airport, killing 11. His brother Khalid killed another 20 at a metro...
A Once-Common Scourge
Returns to Baghdad
Jan 21, 2021 8:29 AM CST
A Once-Common Scourge Returns to Baghdad
Twin suicide bombings kill more than 30 at market
- Maybe Baghdad residents would have been more wary a few years ago. Authorities say a suicide bomber drew a crowd around him at a busy marketplace Thursday morning by pretending to be ill, then detonated his explosives, reports CNN . Soon after, a second suicide bomber struck nearby. The AP puts...
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019:
He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Dec 30, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019: He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Pamela Perry reportedly warned cops about Nashville bomber Anthony Warner
- After the Christmas morning RV explosion that wreaked havoc in Nashville, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said suspected bomber Anthony Quinn Warner—who died in the blast that injured at least eight people, seriously damaged dozens of buildings, and disrupted telecommunications across the Southeast—had not been "on our...
Media Won't Call Nashville
Bomber What He Is
Dec 29, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Media Won't Call Nashville Bomber What He Is
He's a suicide bomber and a domestic terrorist, writes a Refinery29 columnist
- The Nashville narrative is pretty clear: Authorities say Anthony Quinn Warner packed his RV with explosives and blew it and himself up on Christmas while parked downtown. He was, by the most basic definition of the term, a suicide bomber. And yet you'd be hard-pressed to find the phrase...
A Deadly Blast, 'Then
I Couldn't Find Anyone'
Aug 18, 2019 6:09 AM CDT
A Deadly Blast, 'Then I Couldn't Find Anyone'
ISIS claims suicide bombing at Kabul wedding that killed at least 63
- The Islamic State group's affiliate in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for the Kabul wedding blast that killed at least 63 on Saturday night. A statement by the militant group posted on an ISIS-linked website on Sunday says that a Pakistani ISIS fighter seeking martyrdom targeted a large Shiite gathering...
Sri Lanka Bans Face
Coverings, Including Veils
Apr 29, 2019 2:17 AM CDT
Sri Lanka Bans Face Coverings, Including Veils
Law bans garments that 'hinder identification'
- Muslim women in Sri Lanka will no longer be able to veil their faces under an emergency law ordered by President Maithripala Sirisena that bans all kinds of face coverings that may conceal people's identities. The law takes effect Monday, eight days after the Easter bombings of churches and...
Sri Lankan Official:
the 'Worrying Factor'
Apr 24, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
Sri Lanka: Warnings
Weeks Before Attacks
Apr 22, 2019 4:42 AM CDT
Sri Lanka: Warnings Were Received Weeks Before Attacks
Death toll hits 290 in church, hotel bombings
- The death toll in the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings jumped to 290 Monday amid rising public anger over reports that intelligence officials had warned of possible attacks. Rajitha Senaratne, the country's health minister, said the chief of national intelligence had warned officials on April 4 about potential attacks...
Easter Attacks: At Least
207 Dead, 7 Arrested
Apr 21, 2019 7:57 AM CDT
Easter Attacks: At Least 207 Dead, 7 Arrested
Sri Lanka has imposed a curfew, shut down social media
- At least eight bombs exploded in Sri Lanka , as Christians gathered to celebrate Easter on Sunday. The attacks targeted three churches and four five-star hotels frequented by tourists, as well as one blast on a highway overpass, reports the
New York Times ,
and the death toll has now risen to...
More Than 130 Killed
in Church, Hotel Attacks
Apr 21, 2019 2:42 AM CDT
More Than 130 Killed in Church, Hotel Attacks
Hundreds hurt in Sri Lanka blasts
- At least 138 people were killed and nearly 500 hospitalized from injuries in near simultaneous blasts that rocked three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, the state-run
reports. A security official tells the AP that two of the blasts are suspected to have been...
100 Feared Dead in
Taliban Attack on
Jan 22, 2019 12:29 AM CST
100 Feared Dead in Taliban Attack on Military Base
Group says peace talks with US are ongoing
- A Taliban assault on a military base and police training center in a province just outside the Afghan capital on Monday killed at least 45 people, most of them military personnel, Afghan officials say. There are fears, however, that the death toll is even higher. Some government officials estimate the...
ISIS Hit Americans at
Favorite Lunch Spot
Jan 18, 2019 8:32 AM CST
ISIS Hit Americans at Favorite Lunch Spot
2 service members among 4 Americans killed in Manbij suicide bombing
- The restaurant rocked by the suicide bomb attack that killed four Americans in Syria on Wednesday was a favorite lunch spot for troops, who'd stop for French fries and a shawarma sandwich, often several times a week. Military leaders and Sens. Lindsey Graham and Jeanne Shaheen even dined without...
10 Die in One of Most Protected
Places in Colombia's Capital
Jan 18, 2019 12:23 AM CST
10 Die in One of Most Protected Places in Colombia's Capital
Holdout rebel group suspected in Bogota attack
- A car bomb exploded at a heavily guarded police academy in Colombia's capital on Thursday, killing 10 people and injuring dozens in an attack that recalled the bloodiest chapters of the country's drug-fueled guerrilla conflict. Videos circulating on social media show panicked officers hauling injured colleagues on stretchers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Billionaire's New Estate Sets Florida Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.