Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Fumes Over US'
Latest Move on Taiwan
Aug 18, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
China Fumes Over US' Latest Move on Taiwan
Country says it 'firmly opposes' formal trade talks
- The US government will hold trade talks with Taiwan in a sign of support for the island democracy that China claims as its own territory, prompting Beijing to warn Thursday it will take action if necessary to "safeguard its sovereignty." Chinese President Xi Jinping's government criticized the...
House Vote to Punish
Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Mar 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
House Vote to Punish Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Legislation to suspend trade relations now goes to Senate
- The House voted overwhelmingly Thursday to suspend normal trade relations with Russia and Belarus, preparing for President Biden to enact higher tariffs on more products and further weaken the Russian economy in response to its military assault on Ukraine. The US has already taken steps to shut off the importation...
Right Before UK's Final Split
From EU, 'the Deal Is Done'
Dec 24, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Right Before UK's Final Split From EU, 'the Deal Is Done'
Britain, European Union come to post-Brexit trade agreement, though how this will play out is unclear
- After months of talks and at almost the last minute, Britain and the European Union struck a provisional free-trade agreement Thursday that should avert New Year chaos for cross-border traders and bring a measure of certainty for businesses after years of Brexit turmoil. With just over a week until the...
Pelosi Hands Trump
a Victory on Trade
Dec 10, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Pelosi Hands Trump a Victory on Trade
New North American trade deal is imminent
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday announced agreement on a modified North American trade pact, handing President Trump a major Capitol Hill win on the same day that Democrats announced impeachment charges against him, per the AP . Crediting Democratic negotiators for winning stronger provisions on enforcing the agreement, Pelosi said...
Trump Makes New Threat
Amid Slow China Talks
Aug 1, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Trump Makes New Threat Amid Slow China Talks
The US will slap a tariff on $300B in Chinese goods, Trump says
- President Trump says the US will apply a new tariff of 10% on about $300 billion worth of products from China on Sept. 1, the AP reports. Trump tweeted Thursday amid slow-moving talks with China that negotiations will continue. But he blamed China for not following through on stopping the...
Trump Posts Surprising
Tweet on Japan Trip
May 26, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Posts Surprising Tweet on Japan Trip
Meanwhile, Shinzo Abe is wooing him with golf and cheeseburgers
- President Trump posted a tweet that likely surprised his Japanese hosts before they courted him Sunday with cheeseburgers, sumo-wrestling, and golf: "North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me," Trump tweeted Saturday, referring to short-range weapons that are...
Trump Opens Japan
Trip With a Little Jab
May 25, 2019 1:18 PM CDT
Trump Opens Japan Trip With a Little Jab
The president mentions the US-Japanese trade imbalance
- President Donald Trump opened a state visit to Japan on Saturday by needling the American ally over its trade imbalance with the United States, the AP reports. "Maybe that's why you like us so much," he joshed. Trump also promoted the US under his leadership, saying "...
2 Big Moves
May 17, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Trump Makes 2 Big Moves on Tariffs
He lifts them on Canada and Mexico and postpones action against Japan, Europe
- Bogged down in a sprawling trade dispute with US rival China, President Trump took steps Friday to ease tensions with America's allies—lifting import taxes on Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminum and delaying auto tariffs that would have hurt Japan and Europe. By removing the metals tariffs on...
Behind Trade Move Against
India: Dispute on Knee Implants
Mar 6, 2019 8:47 AM CST
Behind Trade Move Against India: Dispute on Knee Implants
India, Turkey will no longer be awarded zero-tariffs status on some goods
- Amidst America's trade battle with the world's most populated country comes a new move against the nation that occupies the No. 2 slot on that list. The US on Monday night announced that within 60 days, India will lose the preferential trade status that allowed it to export...
China Starts to Open Up
on What It Agreed to Do
Dec 5, 2018 11:48 AM CST
China Starts to Open Up on What It Agreed to Do
Confirms there is a 90-day window for trade talks
- Though US markets are closed Wednesday in honor of former President George HW Bush, after Tuesday's 800-point plunge investors will be looking for hints as to what to expect Thursday morning, and all eyes are on China. Tuesday's sell-off was sparked by uncertainty over what exactly Trump and...
Trump, Xi Lock Eyes
Over Sirloin Dinner
Dec 1, 2018 6:06 PM CST
Trump, Xi Lock Eyes Over Sirloin Dinner
US-China trade relations may hang in the balance
- Table talk at President Donald Trump's dinner meeting Saturday with Chinese leader Xi Jinping will undoubtedly have a global impact, the AP reports. What they agree on—or don't—will likely move markets up or down, determine whether the world economy gets some relief from destabilizing trade tensions...
World Leaders Agree
on Trade, Not Climate
Dec 1, 2018 12:15 PM CST
World Leaders Agree on Trade, Not Climate
The G-20 plans to reform world trading system
- Leaders of the world's top economies agreed Saturday to repair the global trading system as they closed a Group of 20 summit that saw the Trump administration at odds with many allies over the Paris accord on climate change and issues like migration, the AP reports. The joint statement...
Trump's Trade War
Hits the Lobster Business
Sep 15, 2018 1:34 PM CDT
Trump's Trade War Hits the Lobster Business
Layoffs and lagging prices damage the industry
- The American lobster industry is starting to feel the pinch of China's tariff on US seafood as exporters and dealers cope with sagging prices, new financial pressures, and difficulty sending lobsters overseas, the AP reports. China is a major buyer of lobsters, and it imposed a heavy tariff on...
Trump Trade Legislation Has
Unfortunate Acronym: FART
Jul 2, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Trump Trade Legislation Has Unfortunate Acronym: FART
Critics pounce on the FART Act, which would give president broad new powers
- President Trump is no fan of the World Trade Organization, and Axios reports that he ordered his advisers to work up a bill that would give him broad power to circumvent WTO rules and negotiate his own deals. The story by Jonathan Swan uses the words "insane" and "...
Report: Trump Has Approved
Tough New Tariffs on China
Jun 15, 2018 3:16 AM CDT
Report: Trump Has Approved Tough New Tariffs on China
Move raises fears of trade war
- President Trump has approved a plan to impose punishing tariffs on tens of billions of dollars of Chinese goods as early as Friday, a move that could put his trade policies on a collision course with his push to rid the Korean Peninsula of nuclear weapons. Trump has long vowed...
Trump to G-7:
Don't You Dare
Jun 9, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
Trump to G-7: Don't You Dare Retaliate Against Me
President tells other countries not to counter with tariffs
- Exiting a world summit with characteristic bravado, President Donald Trump delivered a stark warning Saturday to America's trading partners not to counter his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, the AP reports. Despite his sharp differences with US allies, the president insisted he has a "...
As Trade Talks Heat Up,
China Makes an Offer
Jun 6, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
As Trade Talks Heat Up, China Makes an Offer
Country offers to buy $70B in US products in first year of deal
- China is willing to buy up nearly $70 billion in US products like soybeans, corn, natural gas, crude oil, and coal in the first year of a deal if the Trump administration forgets about its threatened trade tariffs . Extending what Business Insider calls "a massive olive branch," Chinese...
May 26, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Trump Defies Congress With Decision on Chinese Firm
But will China accept the president's terms?
- Well, ZTE is back in business—sort of. Washington will drop sanctions against the Chinese telecommunications giant if it makes management changes and pays a big fine, a Congressional aide tells Reuters . President Trump tweeted more, saying that "I closed it down then let it reopen with high level...
Trump Readies a Hefty
Penalty on China
Mar 20, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
Trump Readies a Hefty Penalty on China
President prepares to unveil $60B in tariffs despite concern from US businesses
- President Trump has long believed China engages in unfair trade practices with the US, and senior aides recently presented him with a proposal for $30 billion in annual tariffs against Beijing. Not good enough, said Trump, who ordered them to double the amount to $60 billion, reports the
Trump: 'It's Been a
Really Great 12 Days'
Nov 14, 2017 12:03 AM CST
Trump: 'It's Been a Really Great 12 Days'
He says Asia trip was 'tremendously succesful'
- President Trump headed for home Tuesday following an extensive tour of Asia that he said had been "tremendously successful" and had put the world on notice that the "rules have changed" for countries that want to trade with the US. Trump also teased a "major statement" on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.