Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
House of Representatives
Stories 1 - 20 |
'I Am Declaring
May 20, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
De Blasio: 'I Am Declaring My Candidacy'
Former NYC mayor will seek Dem nomination for Congress in NY's 10th Congressional District
- Former New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday that he'll run for Congress in a redrawn district that includes his Brooklyn home. De Blasio, whose second mayoral term ended last year, announced on MSNBC's
that he'll seek the Democratic nomination for the 10th...
Democratic Challenger Is
Outraising MTG, Big Time
Apr 18, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Democratic Challenger Is Outraising MTG, Big Time
Marcus Flowers had an impressive quarter, but he still doesn't stand a chance
- Marcus Flowers—Army vet and Democrat in northwest Georgia—has far outraised his potential opponent, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. Flowers raked in $2.4 million in donations during the first quarter, more than double that of Greene, according to the Hill, which says Greene still has more in her war...
a Big Way
Apr 2, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Sarah Palin Is Reentering Politics, in a Big Way
Ex-Alaska governor is vying for seat in US House of Representatives left open by late Don Young
- There were April Fools' jokes aplenty on Friday, but news from Sarah Palin doesn't appear to have been one of them. The former Alaska governor and vice presidential candidate announced she's running for her state's only seat in the US House of Representatives, a seat left open...
Bill to Legalize
Apr 1, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Legalize Marijuana
Backers say measure corrects a racial injustice
- The House approved legislation Friday to end all federal criminal penalties over the manufacture, distribution, or possession of marijuana. Speaker Nancy Pelosi told the House the measure rights injustices and is "one of the most important criminal justice reform bills in recent history." The legislation cleared 220-204 and...
House Jan. 6 Committee: Hold
Scavino, Navarro in Contempt
Mar 28, 2022 9:04 PM CDT
House Jan. 6 Committee: Hold Scavino, Navarro in Contempt
The vote is unanimous, now goes to full House
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol voted unanimously Monday night to hold former Trump advisers Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino in contempt of Congress for their monthslong refusal to comply with subpoenas, the AP reports. The committee made their case that Navarro, former President...
GOP Rep. Fortenberry
Guilty of Lying to FBI
Mar 25, 2022 12:45 AM CDT
GOP Rep. Fortenberry Guilty of Lying to FBI
Nebraska politician was found guilty of 3 counts that each carry up to 5-year terms
- US Rep. Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska was convicted Thursday on charges that he lied to federal authorities about an illegal $30,000 contribution to his campaign from a foreign billionaire at a 2016 Los Angeles fundraiser. A federal jury in LA deliberated about two hours before finding the nine-term Republican...
House to Slow, if Not Stop,
Daylight Saving Time Bill
Mar 21, 2022 4:21 PM CDT
House to Slow, if Not Stop, Daylight Saving Time Bill
Lawmakers say they aren't in the rush the Senate was
- Time might stand still for the legislation to make daylight saving time permanent. The bill sailed through the Senate last week, but House members are less sure about it, the Hill reports. Several lawmakers of both parties said that they'd like to see more research on the issue or...
He Was a
Almost as Long
as His State
Was a State
Mar 19, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
He Was a Congressman Almost as Long as His State Was a State
Don Young of Alaska, longest-serving member of House of Representatives, dies at 88
- Alaska gets one member in the US House of Representatives, and for most of the time that it's been a state, that member has been Don Young. On Friday, the Last Frontier bid farewell to Young, 88, the dean of the House as its longest-serving member, who died while...
House Vote to Punish
Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Mar 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
House Vote to Punish Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Legislation to suspend trade relations now goes to Senate
- The House voted overwhelmingly Thursday to suspend normal trade relations with Russia and Belarus, preparing for President Biden to enact higher tariffs on more products and further weaken the Russian economy in response to its military assault on Ukraine. The US has already taken steps to shut off the importation...
Mar 2, 2022 5:31 PM CST
House Resolution Backing Ukraine Passes 426-3
'The camera of history is rolling on all of us today'
- The House of Representatives has overwhelmingly approved a resolution “steadfastly, staunchly, proudly, and fervently" in support of Ukraine. Lawmakers said Wednesday that history was watching the way the world responds as Ukrainians fight to save their Western-style democracy from invasion by Russia, the AP reports. With intensifying urgency, many...
Nancy Pelosi Says
She Isn't Retiring
Jan 25, 2022 8:37 PM CST
Nancy Pelosi Says She Isn't Retiring
'This election is crucial,' she says
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Tuesday she will seek reelection, ending speculation that she would retire as Democrats face the threat of losing control of Congress in the 2022 midterms. "While we have made progress, much more needs to be done to improve people’s lives,” the 81-year-old...
There Are Now 28 House
Jan 19, 2022 1:28 AM CST
There Are Now 28 House Democrats Retiring
Ahead of what is expected to be a challenging election
- Two more House Democrats announced Tuesday they won't seek reelection in November, bringing the party's total retirements to 28 ahead of what is expected to be a difficult midterm election year, the AP reports. Reps. Jim Langevin of Rhode Island and Jerry McNerney of California both said in...
McCarthy to House
Jan. 6 Committee: Nope
Jan 13, 2022 12:19 AM CST
McCarthy to House Jan. 6 Committee: Nope
House minority leader won't be interviewed
Kevin McCarthy won't be giving the House committee probing the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol what it wants. The House minority leader responded quickly to a Wednesday request from the committee asking for his voluntary cooperation, saying that same day that no, he would not sit...
Dick Cheney Visits
House Floor With Daughter
Jan 6, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Dick Cheney Visits House Floor With Daughter
Former vice president says he's disappointed by GOP response to the Capitol attack
- A former House member made an appearance Thursday on the floor, causing more of a stir than such visits usually do. Former Vice President Dick Cheney accompanied his daughter, Rep. Liz Cheney, in observing a moment of silence in the House to mark the anniversary of the attack on the...
Congress Hit by
Surge in Cases
Jan 4, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Congress Hit by 'Unprecedented' Surge in Cases
Lawmakers urged to meet virtually amid wave of COVID-19 cases
- The Capitol physician is warning lawmakers of an "unprecedented" number of cases hitting members of Congress and their staffers. At the on-site testing center, the 7-day positivity rate is higher than 13%, compared to less than 1% before the rise of the omicron variant, Politico reports. Omicron accounts for...
for Jan. 6 Panel
Dec 17, 2021 1:44 PM CST
Stone Answers No Questions for Jan. 6 Panel
House committee wants to know about Trump rallies, Oath Keepers
- Longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone said he asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in an interview Friday with the House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. Stone—who was convicted in 2019 of lying to Congress and subsequently pardoned by former President Trump—told reporters as he left...
Dec 13, 2021 8:00 PM CST
Unanimous Vote Backs Contempt Charges for Mark Meadows
Texts show Trump's son was among those urging president to condemn Jan. 6 violence
- Voting unanimously, the House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol recommended Monday night that Mark Meadows face criminal contempt of Congress charges. The committee said in a new report that it has evidence that Meadows, who was chief of staff to former President Donald Trump at the time, promised...
Congress Clears Bill
to Avert Shutdown
Dec 2, 2021 10:49 PM CST
Congress Clears Bill to Avert Shutdown
Senate passes stopgap measure shortly after House
Shortly after the House passed a stopgap bill to avert a partial government shutdown, the Senate did the same, by a vote of 69-28. There had been talk of GOP members holding up the measure, but that didn't come to pass. "I am glad that in the...
24th House Member
in History to Be Censured
Nov 17, 2021 4:26 PM CST
Gosar Becomes 24th House Member in History to Be Censured
Resolution passed 223-207, with 2 Republicans joining all Democrats
: The House of Representatives voted 223-207 Wednesday to censure Republican Rep. Paul Gosar for sharing an animated video that showed him killing Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with a sword. Gosar—the 24th House member to be censured in the chamber's history, and the first since 2010—stood in...
Are Stepping Down
Oct 18, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Two Veteran House Democrats Are Stepping Down
David Price, Mike Doyle will not seek re-election in 2022 midterms
- Two long-serving House Democrats are calling it quits before next year's midterm elections. North Carolina Rep. David Price, dean of the state's House delegation, announced Monday that he won't be seeking re-election, CNN reports. Price, 81, has represented the state's 4th congressional district since 1997 and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
Even Students Didn't Like This Senior Prank: 'Not Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.