Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Miraculous': 737 Pilots
Walk Away From Crash
Feb 7, 2023 1:30 PM CST
'Miraculous': 737 Pilots Walk Away From Crash
Jet converted to fight fires went down in Australia
- It's not the result you'd expect from the scene: smoke billowing from a crashed Boeing 737 jet—and not a single serious injury. In this case, the 737 that went down in Western Australia state crashed with only two pilots aboard, reports the ABC News of Australia. The...
Boeing Agrees to Pay $200M
in SEC's 737 Investigation
Sep 22, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Boeing Agrees to Pay $200M in SEC's 737 Investigation
Allegations involve misleading statements to company's investors
- Boeing will pay the federal government $200 million to settle an investigation into statements the company and its chief executive made to investors after two fatal crashes of its 737 Max jetliners. The Securities and Exchange Commission also announced Thursday that Dennis Muilenburg, the former CEO, agreed to pay another...
Big 737 Max Order
Jul 18, 2022 5:21 PM CDT
Airline Places Big 737 Max Order
Boeing wants federal certification before rules in response to crashes kick in
- Delta is ordering 100 737 Max 10 airplanes, the largest of the line produced by Boeing, potentially giving the manufacturer momentum after a rollout of its most advanced aircraft that included two fatal crashes. Delta has an option to purchase 30 more of the aircraft as the airline looks to...
At China Eastern Crash Site,
Only Remnants of Lives Lost
Mar 22, 2022 6:38 AM CDT
At China Eastern Crash Site, Only Remnants of Lives Lost
No survivors found at remote crash site that left a pit in a mountainside
- Mud-stained wallets. Bank cards. Official identity cards. Some of the personal effects of 132 lives presumed lost were lined up by rescue workers scouring a remote mountainside Tuesday for the wreckage of a China Eastern plane that one day earlier inexplicably fell from the sky and burst into a fireball...
Crashes in China
Mar 21, 2022 5:17 AM CDT
Boeing 737 Crashes in China
132 people were aboard, but there's no word yet on casualties
- A China Eastern Boeing 737-800 with 132 people on board crashed in the southern province of Guangxi on Monday, officials said. The Civil Aviation Administration of China said the crash occurred near the city of Wuzhou in Teng county, per the AP . The flight was traveling from Kunming in the...
Prosecutors Near Charges
for Boeing's Top 737 Max Pilot
Sep 17, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Prosecutors Near Charges for Boeing's Top 737 Max Pilot
Details on tricky flight-control system were left out of pilot manual
- Federal investigators are close to charging a former pilot for Boeing with misleading the FAA about problems tied to two fatal crashes of the 737 Max. Mark Forkner, who was the company's chief technical pilot when the plane was developed, would be the first Boeing employee prosecuted over the...
Cargo Plane Makes
Emergency Landing in Ocean
Jul 2, 2021 11:24 AM CDT
Cargo Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Ocean
2 taken to hospital in Hawaii
- A cargo plane was forced to make an emergency landing in the ocean off Hawaii under cover of darkness Friday. The only two occupants of the Boeing 737 were rescued, per CNN , though ABC News' Alex Stone tweeted that one of the pilots was critically injured. The plane had taken...
United Airlines Just Made
a Huge Bet on Travel
Jun 29, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
United Airlines Just Made a Huge Bet on Travel
Company orders 270 new planes, most in its history
- Air travel is back. Just ask United Airlines. The company has placed the biggest jet order in its history, and the biggest for any US airline since 2011. The purchase of 270 new single-aisle planes from Boeing and Airbus has a two-fold purpose: to replace some aging aircraft as well...
Aboard That Scary Flight:
'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Feb 23, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Aboard That Scary Flight: 'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Investigators trying to understand why fan blades broke, and not for the first time
- It's a small miracle nobody was hurt or killed in Colorado over the weekend after an engine blew on a United jet and rained huge pieces of debris on neighborhoods near the Denver International Airport. In fact, one of the engine's fan blades came down on a soccer...
Plane Crashed 300 Feet
From 'Shocked' Fisherman
Jan 12, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Plane Crashed 300 Feet From 'Shocked' Fisherman
Flight data recorder has been found
- Searchers have found clothing, body parts, parts of the fuselage, and now, one of two black boxes aboard the Boeing 737 that crashed into the Java Sea on Saturday. The flight data recorder has been recovered, while officials continue to search for the cockpit voice recorder, reports the BBC . The...
Flight Took Off With 62 On
Board. Then, a Blank Radar
Jan 9, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Flight Took Off With 62 On Board. Then, a Blank Radar
Indonesia loses contact with Boeing 737 over Java Sea
- A Boeing 737 with 56 passengers and six crew members fell off the radar Saturday just minutes after taking off from the Indonesian capital of Jakarta. Per the
New York Times
, the nation's Transportation Ministry says Sriwijaya Air Flight 182 disappeared over the Java Sea, with the last contact...
Boeing's 'Slap on the Wrist'
for 737 Max Debacle: $2.5B
Jan 8, 2021 9:38 AM CST
Boeing's 'Slap on the Wrist' for 737 Max Debacle: $2.5B
Company will avoid criminal charges from DOJ if it adheres to terms of settlement
- Boeing will pay $2.5 billion to settle a Justice Department investigation and admit that employees misled regulators about the safety of its 737 Max aircraft, which suffered two deadly crashes shortly after entering airline service. Under the settlement announced Thursday, Boeing will pay a $243.6 million fine, $1....
Boeing Max Is
Back on US Route
Dec 29, 2020 2:36 PM CST
Boeing Max Is Back on US Route
Plane was grounded last year after two crashes
- American Airlines flew a Boeing 737 Max with paying passengers from Miami to New York on Tuesday, the plane's first commercial flight in US skies since it was grounded after two deadly crashes. American Flight 718 carried about 100 passengers, according to an airline spokeswoman, and landed Tuesday afternoon...
More Good News for
Boeing on the 737 Max
Dec 21, 2020 3:00 AM CST
More Good News for Boeing on the 737 Max
European regulator declares the aircraft safe
- A month after the US cleared the Boeing 737 Max to fly once again under certain conditions, Europe is expected to soon do the same. The head of the EU's aviation safety agency says he is "certain" the aircraft is safe to fly after the EASA completed a...
Boeing 737 Max Is
Cleared for Takeoff
Nov 18, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Boeing 737 Max Is Cleared for Takeoff
After fixes, issue with plane's nose 'can no longer happen'
- Following two fatal crashes and 20 months on the ground, the Boeing 737 Max has been cleared to fly in the US. The FAA said Wednesday that a review process was complete and the plane could take to the skies—but only after necessary changes are made, pilots receive simulator...
Report on 737 Max: 'Horrific
Culmination' of Missteps
Sep 16, 2020 7:53 AM CDT
Report on 737 Max: 'Horrific Culmination' of Missteps
'Grossly insufficient oversight' by FAA and 'lack of transparency' by Boeing cited by House committee
- As regulators get closer to OKing recertification for Boeing's beleaguered 737 Max planes, what CNBC calls a "damning" report from a Congressional committee that took a year and a half to complete was released Wednesday, pointing to a series of fails during the development of the aircraft. The...
New Boeing Plane Name
May Be Subtle PR Move
Aug 20, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
New Boeing Plane Name May Be Subtle PR Move
737 Max is called 737-8 in new announcement from Boeing, but it's not clear if that's an official rebrand
- Boeing announced an order Wednesday from Polish airline Enter Air for up to four 737-8 airplanes, with the airline's general director asserting he's "convinced it will be the best aircraft in the world for many years to come." For those curious what this new jet is...
737 Max Has an 'Absolutely
Unacceptable' New Problem
Feb 19, 2020 8:03 AM CST
737 Max Has an 'Absolutely Unacceptable' New Problem
Boeing says debris has been found in fuel tanks of several undelivered planes
- After two deadly crashes that killed 346 people, the beleaguered Boeing 737 Max has a new problem, and per a company spokesman, it's an "absolutely unacceptable" one. A routine maintenance check on multiple new planes waiting to be delivered turned up in their fuel tanks "foreign object...
737 Max Decision May Affect
Feb 14, 2020 5:20 PM CST
737 Max Decision May Affect Summer Travel
American and United to keep plane off schedules longer
- United Airlines and American Airlines said Friday they are removing the grounded Boeing 737 Max from their schedules longer than previously planned, which means thousands more flights will be canceled during the peak summer travel season. The reduction in flights could mean slightly higher fares, the AP reports. United said...
on 'Appalling' Messages
About 737 Max
Jan 10, 2020 8:35 AM CST
Boeing Red-Faced on 'Appalling' Messages About 737 Max
'This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys'
- Lawmakers are calling newly revealed messages from Boeing employees on the company's beleaguered 737 Max—involved in two horrific crashes that killed 346 people— and the Federal Aviation Administration "astonishing," "appalling," and "incredibly damning," in what the
New York Times
deems the "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Crawford on '86 Oprah Interview: 'I Was Like the Chattel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.