Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May Be Misleading
Dec 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Activists Say UAE Protests May Be Misleading
Demonstrators at climate talks say dissent isn't usually allowed
- Participants at the United Nations' COP28 climate talks Sunday found themselves greeted by the rarest sights in the United Arab Emirates: public protests. Activists allowed into the UAE can protest under strict guidelines in this autocratic nation inside the summit, and they're demonstrating on such issues as the Israel-Hamas...
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply
Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
Dec 1, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
KJZZ's Alisa Resnick detained while covering pro-Palestinian protest outside Tucson Raytheon office
- More than two dozen people were detained Thursday at a pro-Palestinian demonstration outside a Raytheon office in Arizona, including a local reporter who was covering the event. The
reports that KJZZ's Alisa Reznick was arrested by a deputy from the Pima County Sheriff's Department outside a...
Try to Crash NYC
Nov 30, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Pro-Palestinian Protesters Try to Crash NYC Tree Lighting
NYPD kept demonstrators away from holiday event, with a 'handful' of arrests made
- Thousands converged on New York City's Rockefeller Center on a frigid Wednesday night to get close to the annual Christmas tree lighting—among them, a throng of pro-Palestinian demonstrators in support of Gaza. WABC reports that at least 500 protesters rallied outside the News Corp. building at 47th Street...
Dozens of Protesters
Arrested at Macy's Parade
Nov 24, 2023 12:40 PM CST
Dozens of Protesters Arrested at Macy's Parade
Some pro-Palestinian demonstrators glued themselves to Sixth Avenue
- The NYPD says 34 people were arrested Thursday in connection with protests that briefly disrupted the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade at various points. Some pro-Palestinian protesters jumped barricades and glued themselves to Sixth Avenue CNN reports. The protesters, who wore jumpsuits covered in fake blood, glued themselves to the...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
Oct 17, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
This time in London for protesting Big Oil in front of an energy conference
- Greta Thunberg was detained by British police on Tuesday alongside other climate activists who gathered outside a central London hotel to disrupt a major oil and gas industry conference. As the AP reports, Thunberg was among dozens of chanting protesters who sought to block access to the luxury InterContinental hotel...
NYC Reassures Residents
Fearing Violence on Friday
Oct 12, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
NYC Reassures Residents Fearing Violence on Friday
There are no threats, governor says after protests shut Columbia University campus
- Although New York City officials said there are "no new specific threats" to the city, all police officers have been told to be in uniform on Friday in the event of protests over the Israel-Hamas war. Concern began when a former Hamas leader called for protests Friday in the...
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Greenpeace Stages Sit-In on Rishi Sunak's Roof
Activists against oil drilling draped UK PM's country home in Richmond in black fabric
- Greenpeace demonstrators draped the country estate of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in black fabric Thursday to protest his plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the North Sea. Video posted by the group showed a crew dressed in bright red jumpsuits, helmets, and safety harnesses carrying ladders and...
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable'
That I Ignored Cops
Jul 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable' That I Ignored Cops
20-year-old climate activist fined $240 for refusing to leave protest site in Sweden last month
- Last month, an unsurprising attendee showed up at a fossil fuels protest in Sweden and was detained: Greta Thunberg, who's been demonstrating in the name of climate change awareness since at least 2018. Local media reports that the 20-year-old activist was among those who stopped traffic on June 19...
Sit-In Protests Women's Assault
Jul 22, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Sit-In Protests Women's Assault
Thousands in India demand arrests and official's resignation
- Thousands of people, mostly women, held a massive sit-in in India's violence-wracked northeastern state of Manipur on Saturday to demand the immediate arrest of anyone who took part in the harrowing May assault of two women who were paraded around naked and molested by a mob in an attack...
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials,
Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Jul 22, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials, Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Judicial overhaul heads toward vote Monday in parliament
- Tens of thousands of protesters marched into Jerusalem on Saturday evening, and hundreds of thousands of Israelis took to the streets in Tel Aviv and other cities in a last-ditch show of force aimed at blocking Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's contentious judicial overhaul . Also Saturday, more than 100 of...
Tired of Protests, Reddit
Jun 30, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Tired of Protests, Reddit Threatens Moderators
Given the choice to reopen private subreddits or lose their roles, some get creative
- A Reddit community protest initially expected to last 48 hours has now stretched beyond two weeks and Reddit has had enough. It's sending out notices to moderators of subreddits that went private in protest of new charges for third-party developers, likely to shutter many, by threatening to remove them...
34 Years Later, Big Questions
on Tiananmen Unanswered
Jun 4, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
34 Years Later, Big Questions on Tiananmen Unanswered
China tightens access to site of crackdown, whose casualty total remains unknown
- China tightened access to Tiananmen Square in central Beijing on Sunday, the anniversary of the military suppression of 1989 pro-democracy protests that left a still unknown number of people dead and discussions and commemorations forbidden within the country. In Hong Kong, eight people, including activists and artists, were detained on...
After Shootings, Protesters
Demand State Media Changes
May 27, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
After Shootings, Protesters Demand State Media Changes
Demonstrations began in response to two mass shootings
- Huge crowds of anti-government protesters on Saturday encircled the Serbian state television building in downtown Belgrade to press their demand for autocratic President Aleksandar Vucic to ease his tight grip on the mainstream media and allow alternative voices. Tens of thousands of opposition supporters, some chanting slogans urging Vucic's...
Pornhub Has a
Surprise for Utah
May 2, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Pornhub Has a Surprise for Utah
All residents are blocked, in the porn site's protest of state's new age-verification law
- On Wednesday, Utah's new age-verification law goes into effect, mandating that websites hosting adult content need to confirm users' ages before letting them browse. One company in particular isn't happy about the legislation: Pornhub, which shared a message Monday with anyone who tried to log on from the...
Use an Odd Tactic
Apr 24, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
Climate Protesters Use an Odd Tactic
In Berlin, Last Generation members glue their hands to the roads to shut down traffic
- German climate activists temporarily brought traffic to a standstill in some parts of Berlin on Monday by gluing themselves to streets all over the capital. The group Last Generation has repeatedly blocked roads across Germany in the past year in an effort to pressure the government to take more drastic...
Woman Who Honked Horn
at Protest Gets Some Bad News
Apr 11, 2023 8:36 AM CDT
Woman Who Honked Horn at Protest Gets Some Bad News
California woman supporting protesters that way wasn't covered by free speech, rules appeals court
- If you're tempted to honk your car horn in support of protesters, you might want to think twice in California. That's because on Friday, a three-judge panel for the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit upheld a lower court's ruling against Susan Porter, deciding that...
Hong Kongers Hold
First Protest in Years
Mar 27, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Hong Kongers Hold First Protest in Years
Strict rules included cap on numbers, numbered tags for all marchers
- Dozens of people on Sunday joined Hong Kong's first authorized protest since the lifting of major COVID-19 restrictions under unprecedentedly strict rules, including wearing a numbered badge around their necks. The rules set out by the police, who cited security reasons, came as the financial hub was promoting its...
Amid Turmoil in Israel,
Netanyahu Backs Down
Mar 27, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Amid Turmoil in Israel, Netanyahu Backs Down
Prime minister delays controversial plan to overhaul the judiciary
This story has been updated with new developments.
After unprecedented protests and strikes that paralyzed Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu has postponed his controversial plan to overhaul the nation's judicial system, reports Reuters . “I will give a genuine opportunity for genuine dialogue,” said Netanyahu. “One way or another,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.