Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,058,400+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iran: We Have Detained Leader of Group Based in California
Jamshid Sharmahd is accused of planning attacks
- Iran on Saturday said it detained an Iranian-American leader of a little-known California-based militant opposition group for allegedly planning a 2008 attack on a mosque that killed 14 people and wounded over 200 others, the AP reports. Iran's Intelligence Ministry also alleged Jamshid Sharmahd of the Kingdom Assembly of...
Iran Missiles Bombard Fake US Aircraft Carrier
2 regional US bases were put on alert amid the fire
- Iran's paramilitary Revolutionary Guard launched missiles Tuesday targeting a mock aircraft carrier in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a drill that included such a barrage of fire the US military temporarily put two regional bases in the Mideast on alert amid tensions between the two countries, the AP reports....
Ominous Warning from Counterintel Chief on Election
NCSC's William Evanina says Russia, China, Iran are trying to sway voters; Dems want more
- The country's top counterintelligence official issued a warning Friday regarding the US election in November, though he's getting some pushback from Democratic leaders. "Foreign nations continue to use influence measures in social and traditional media in an effort to sway US voters' preferences and perspectives, to shift...
Iran: US Fighter Jets Came Within 100 Meters of Plane
US official says single fighter jet came no closer than 1K meters
- Several passengers aboard an Iranian jet flying from Tehran to Beirut were injured Thursday when the plane was "harassed" by US fighter jets over Syria, according to Iranian and Syrian media. Syrian state media reported that two jets, part of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State, "intercepted"...
2 US Rivals Are About to Get Much Closer
Iran, China forge new trade, military partnership
- With a new trade and military pact with Iran, China doesn't just thumb its nose at US sanctions—it steamrolls over them. The
New York Times
reports that it has obtained an 18-page document outlining the new partnership between the two countries, which would "vastly expand Chinese presence...
Iran: Misaligned Missile Battery Led to Shootdown of Jetliner
Report finds several reasons why Ukraine Airlines Flight 752 tragedy could have been avoided
- Iranian investigators are blaming a misaligned missile battery and miscommunication between soldiers and their commanders for the Revolutionary Guard shooting down a Ukrainian jetliner in January, killing 176 people. The report released late Saturday by Iran's Civil Aviation Organization comes months after the Jan. 8 crash near Tehran, which...
Iran Admits the Truth About Burned Nuclear Site
Iranian officials had tried to downplay the blaze at Natanz
- Iran on Sunday confirmed that a damaged building at the underground Natanz nuclear site was a new centrifuge assembly center, the official IRNA news agency reported, per the AP . Iranian officials had previously sought to downplay the fire , which erupted early on Thursday, calling it only an "incident" that...
Fire, Explosion Shake Iranian Nuclear Site
Nation has had two other blasts in the past week
- A fire and an explosion struck a centrifuge production plant above Iran's underground Natanz nuclear enrichment facility Thursday, analysts said, one of the most tightly guarded sites in all of the Islamic Republic. The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran sought to play down the fire, calling it an "...
Iran Issues Arrest Warrant for Trump
Asks Interpol to nab him over killing of Iranian general
- When the US killed an Iranian general earlier this year, Tehran retaliated by firing missiles at American military bases. Now, Iran is taking a different approach. It issued an arrest warrant Monday for President Trump and about three dozen others who played a role in planning the strike that killed...
Clues to Huge Fireball Over Tehran Come Via a Photo
Analysts think explosion that shook Iran's capital originated at site near where missiles are made
- An explosion that rattled Iran’s capital came from an area in its eastern mountains that analysts believe hides an underground tunnel system and missile production sites, satellite photos showed Saturday. What exploded in the incident early Friday that sent a massive fireball into the sky near Tehran remains unclear,...
There's a Fake Aircraft Carrier Sitting Off Iran
It's believed the country built it in order to attack it
- As tensions remain high between Iran and the US, the Islamic Republic appears to have constructed a new mock-up of an aircraft carrier off its southern coast for potential live-fire drills. The faux foe, seen in satellite photographs obtained Tuesday by the AP , resembles the Nimitz-class carriers that the US...
Iran to Execute Man Who Spied on Soleimani
Conviction is not related to Iranian general's killing in January
- An Iranian man who provided information on Revolutionary Guards commander Qasem Soleimani to US and Israeli intelligence has been sentenced to die, according to Iran's judiciary. A spokesperson described Mahmoud Mousavi-Majd as a spy for both the CIA and Mossad at a Tuesday news conference, reports Reuters . Gholamhossein Esmaili...
After Girl Is Beheaded, Iran's President Makes a Plea
Hassan Rouhani calls for harsher penalties for honor killings
- Iran's president is calling for laws that would carry harsher penalties for honor killings after a father allegedly beheaded his 14-year-old daughter with a farming sickle. Romina Ashrafi fled her home in Talesh, some 200 miles northwest of Tehran, with her 34-year-old boyfriend after her father objected to them...
'Other Countries Should Look to Iran, Not Do What It Did'
COVID-19 cases surged after reopening
- Iran's president said on Friday it is a "source of pride" that the country has managed to reopen businesses while maintaining a "steady decline of the disease." Local authorities in at least eight of the country's 31 provinces, however, say there has been a surge...
5 Iranian Oil Tankers Head for Venezuela
A Trump official had warned Iran against the move
- Five Iranian tankers likely carrying at least $45.5 million worth of gasoline and similar products are now sailing to Venezuela amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington, the AP reports. The tankers' voyage come after Venezuela's socialist leader Nicolás Maduro turned to Iran for help in flying...
Iran: Friendly Fire From Own Ship Kills 19 on Another
Konarak support ship reportedly didn't move far enough away from target it placed in Gulf of Oman
- A logistical support vessel for the Iranian navy was struck over the weekend by "friendly fire," resulting in the deaths of 19 sailors and the injuries of at least 15 others. The incident happened Sunday evening in the Gulf of Oman, "causing the martyrdom of a number...
In 'Abrupt' Tweet, Trump Writes of Shooting Down Iranian Boats
But a tweet won't change the rules of engagement
- Both Politico and the
New York Times
frame it as an "abrupt" tweet from the president: "I have instructed the United States Navy to shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea," wrote President Trump on Wednesday morning. It...
'A Lot of Red Flags' With Iran's Latest Announcement
Revolutionary Guard says it launched country's first military satellite into orbit
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard said it put the Islamic Republic's first military satellite into orbit, dramatically unveiling what experts described as a secret space program with a surprise launch Wednesday that came amid wider tensions with the US. There was no immediate independent confirmation of the launch of the...
After a Period of Quiet, a 'Provocative' Move From Iran
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy vessels get close to US warships
- Six US military warships conducting exercises in international waters off Iran on Wednesday were interrupted by what the US calls a "harassing" group of nearly a dozen Iranian vessels. A statement from the US Navy's 5th Fleet says that 11 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy vessels came very...
Family of Ex-FBI Agent Gets Worst Possible News
Robert Levinson's family says they believe he has died in Iranian custody
- The US government has concluded that retired FBI agent Robert Levinson, who vanished more than a decade ago, has died while in the custody of Iran, his family said Wednesday. Shortly after the family's announcement, President Trump told reporters that "I won't accept that he's dead,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Knock-Down' Fight Erupts in Oval Office
Massive Fire Hits Home of Rachael Ray
Mass Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, Some 20 Injured
Trump Sparks GOP Panic by Attacking Major Donor
McDonald's CEO Scandal Just Got Worse
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.