Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death
for Endangered Resident
Apr 27, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death for Endangered Resident
Arrests have been made after authorities say villagers in Iran tortured, killed brown bear
- Authorities in Iran have made arrests after the "horrible" killing Sunday of an endangered brown bear by villagers in Ardabil province, per the BBC. State news agencies reported that villagers chased the bear, beat it, and trapped it with a tractor, fracturing the animal's leg and pelvis and...
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now
Accused of Plagiarism
Apr 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now Accused of Plagiarism
At issue: Asghar Farhadi's film 'A Hero'
- Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi took home Oscars in 2012 and 2017 in the best international feature category. His 2021 film,
managed to win the grand prize at Cannes—but also land him in court to fend off allegations of plagiarism. The director has been accused by former film...
After 6 Years
Detained in Iran,
She's Back Home
With Daughter, 7
Mar 17, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
After 6 Years Detained in Iran, She's Back Home With Daughter, 7
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are released
After years in detention in Iran, two British-Iranian nationals are back in the UK. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori were released Wednesday and arrived home early Thursday, following months of negotiations between the UK and Iran, the BBC reports. In a photo shared by Ashoori's daughter, Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 43,...
Iran Fires Missile Barrage
Near US Facility in Iraq
Mar 13, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Iran Fires Missile Barrage Near US Facility in Iraq
It's seen as an escalation of tension between Washington and Tehran
- Iran has claimed responsibility for a missile barrage that struck early Sunday near a sprawling US consulate complex in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil, saying it was retaliation for an Israeli strike in Syria that killed two members of its Revolutionary Guard. No injuries were reported in the attack,...
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
Families of Canadians Killed in
Jet Downed by Iran Get $84M
Jan 4, 2022 1:37 AM CST
Families of Canadians Killed in Jet Downed by Iran Get $84M
Iran shot down the flight in early 2020
Families of six of the Canadians killed in a January 2020 shooting down of a Ukraine International Airlines flight in Iran have been awarded $107 million Canadian (approximately $84 million), plus interest, in compensation. A Canadian court awarded the money, and it's not clear how it will actually...
Iran Says It Launched
3 'Research Devices'
Dec 30, 2021 5:11 AM CST
Iran Says It Launched 3 'Research Devices'
It's not clear whether satellites made it into orbit
- After years of failures, Iran said Thursday that it had successfully launched three research devices from its satellite-carrying Simorgh rocket. The Iranian Space Agency launch was confirmed by the country's defense ministry, though it's not clear whether the satellites actually reached orbit,
reports. The country's...
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 PM CST
Iranian Men Charged With US Election Interference
Goals of online campaign were confusion and intimidation, officials say
- Two suspected Iranian computer hackers have been charged with election interference, accused of trying to intimidate American voters ahead of last year's US presidential election by sending threatening messages and spreading disinformation, the AP reports. The effort attracted publicity in the run-up to the November 2020 election, when law...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Iran Provincial Governor
Slapped at Own Inauguration
Oct 23, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Iran Provincial Governor Slapped at Own Inauguration
Security breached by man suspected of having a personal dispute with new governor
- The new governor of a northwestern Iranian province was slapped in the face by an angry man during his inauguration Saturday, an unusual breach of security in the Islamic Republic during a ceremony attended by the country's interior minister. A motive for the attack in Iran's Eastern Azerbaijan...
He Became President, Then
Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Oct 9, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
He Became President, Then Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Abolhassan Banisadr, first Iranian president after 1979 revolution, dies at 88
- Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first president after the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution who fled Tehran after being impeached for challenging the growing power of clerics as the nation became a theocracy, died Saturday, reports the AP . He was 88. Banisadr's family said in a statement online Saturday that...
One Small Pot, 2 Groups
of Terrorism Victims
Sep 27, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
One Small Pot, 2 Groups of Terrorism Victims
Former Iranian hostages await compensation more than 4 decades later
- Two members of a select group died this month—they were among the 52 Americans taken hostage in Iran in 1979, reports Anne Gearan in the
. With their deaths, the number of surviving members from the group has shrunk to 35. "We are not getting any younger,...
Unconscious Iranian Wins
Karate Gold at Olympics
Aug 8, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Unconscious Iranian Wins Karate Gold at Olympics
Opponent was disqualified for kick to the neck
- Iran’s Sajad Ganjzadeh won the Olympic gold medal in men’s over-75 kilogram karate after final opponent Tareg Hamedi was disqualified for kicking Ganjzadeh hard in the upper body or head, per the AP . It happened in the final bout of karate's Olympic debut in Japan when...
Iran Plotted to Kidnap
Brooklyn Resident, Say Feds
Jul 14, 2021 5:48 AM CDT
Iran Plotted to Kidnap Brooklyn Resident, Say Feds
4 Iranian operatives charged with conspiring to abduct journalist Masih Alinejad
- Feds say they intervened in an international scheme to abduct an Iranian-American journalist who is now a citizen and resident of the US. Though prosecutors didn't name the target, Masih Alinejad confirmed to the
New York Times
that it was her. Known for criticizing the Iranian government, Alinejad said...
Hackers Post Phone Number
of Iran's Supreme Leader
Jul 9, 2021 3:39 PM CDT
Hackers Post Phone Number of Iran's Supreme Leader
They also disrupt rail service in the country
- Hackers were blamed for disruptions in Iran's rail service on Friday, with a state broadcaster reporting "unprecedented chaos at railway stations across the country." The national railway website, ticket offices, and cargo services were affected, per Reuters , causing trips to be delayed and canceled. Boards in stations...
Son Found Dismembered,
and Elderly Parents Confess
Jul 5, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Son Found Dismembered, and Elderly Parents Confess
Iranian filmmaker Babak Khorramdin's parents say they killed him over corruption
- When body parts found in a trash bin outside a Tehran apartment building turned out to be the remains of one of the residents, police knocked on the door of the man’s elderly parents. Those parents immediately—and remorselessly—confessed to killing their son. Akbar Khorramdin and his wife,...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens
of Iran-Tied News Sites
Jun 23, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens of Iran-Tied News Sites
Department alleges these state-linked sites are spreading disinformation
- American authorities seized a range of Iran's state-linked news website domains they accused of spreading disinformation, the US Justice Department said Tuesday, a move that appeared to be a far-reaching crackdown on Iranian media amid heightened tensions between the two countries. The Justice Department said 33 of the seized...
Iran's New Leader Defends
Role in Mass Execution
Jun 21, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Iran's New Leader Defends Role in Mass Execution
Ebrahim Raisi also says he won't meet Biden
- Iran's president-elect said Monday he wouldn't meet with President Biden or negotiate over Tehran's ballistic missile program and its support of regional militias, sticking to a hard-line position following his landslide victory in last week's election, per the AP . On meeting Biden, judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi...
Iran Nuclear Power Plant
Has Emergency Shutdown
Jun 21, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Iran Nuclear Power Plant Has Emergency Shutdown
Situation is temporary, has not been explained
- Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday. An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last "for three to four days....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.