Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Brother in 'Smollett Attack'
Makes a Name for Himself
Apr 14, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Brother in 'Smollett Attack' Makes a Name for Himself
Abimbola 'Abel' Osundai wins an amateur boxing title
- One of two brothers who say Jussie Smollett paid them to help him stage a racist, anti-gay attack against himself has won an amateur boxing title in Chicago, the AP reports. The
reports that Abimbola "Abel" Osundairo became a Chicago Golden Gloves champion with a technical knockout...
Daughter Is Found Dead
Mar 9, 2019 6:30 PM CST
George Foreman's Daughter Is Found Dead
The famous boxer's daughter was only 42
- Freeda wanted to be a fighter too, just like dad. And for a while she was. Now George Foreman's daughter has been found dead in her Texas home at age 42, with inside sources telling TMZ they don't suspect foul play. Back in 2000-2001, Freeda fought as a...
First Major Bare-Knuckle Boxing
Event in 130 Years Gets Bloody
Jun 3, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
First Major Bare-Knuckle Boxing Event in 130 Years Gets Bloody
In a first for America, fighters legally boxed without gloves in a banner Wyoming event
- In what is being called a first since 1889, a large-scale, government sanctioned bare-knuckle boxing event took place in Wyoming on Saturday night and things got bloody. Per
, a sold out crowd of 2,000 people in Cheyenne watched as 10 bouts played out before them with fighters...
Mayweather Tried to
Bet $400K on Himself
Aug 28, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
Mayweather Tried to Bet $400K on Himself
He says they wouldn't let him place bets
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. bet his reputation and his unblemished record on Saturday's bout with Conor McGregor—and he tried to bet plenty of cash as well. Sources say he tried to bet $400,000 on himself ahead of the fight, but ended up leaving the sportsbook at the M...
a $200M Bow
Aug 27, 2017 6:04 AM CDT
Mayweather Takes a $200M Bow
But UFC's Conor McGregor performed respectably, has $100M of his own
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. put on a show in the last fight of his spectacular career. Conor McGregor didn't do so badly, either. Mayweather figured out a 50th opponent Saturday night, letting McGregor have the early rounds before stalking him late and leaving the mixed martial artist defenseless and exhausted...
Here's How Much Mayweather,
McGregor Will Earn in Fight
Aug 26, 2017 9:43 AM CDT
Here's How Much Mayweather, McGregor Will Earn in Fight
Hint: It's a lot
- Whether or not it'll be a good fight (experts tend to agree "not"), Saturday's match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is certain to be profitable—potentially historically so—for both fighters. ESPN reports Mayweather is guaranteed a minimum purse of $100 million and McGregor a...
Experts Say McGregor Won't
Be Safe Fighting Mayweather
Aug 25, 2017 6:32 AM CDT
Experts Say McGregor Won't Be Safe Fighting Mayweather
Fight doctors say it is a dangerous mismatch
- It's one of the most keenly anticipated fights in years—but doctors say it should be stopped before it's too late. Boxing champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. is set to fight mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor in Las Vegas Saturday night in a bout that the Association of...
of Title in a Stunner
Jul 2, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
Pacquiao Stripped of Title in a Stunner
WBO fight goes to the end, Australian Jeff Horn gets unanimous decision
- It went all the way and ended in a contentiously bitter loss, the opposite of the outcome Manny Pacquiao's handlers predicted for his WBO welterweight world title fight against Jeff Horn. Pacquiao's long-time trainer Freddie Roach tipped a "short and sweet" knockout win for the 11-time world...
Former UFC Fighter
Dies After Boxing Match
Jun 19, 2017 1:48 AM CDT
Former UFC Fighter Dies After Boxing Match
Tim Hague fatally injured in Edmonton bout
- The world of mixed martial arts is mourning former Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Tim Hague, who was fatally injured in a boxing match in Edmonton Friday. His sister, Jackie Neil, confirmed Sunday that the 34-year-old, who was knocked out and suffered a brain hemorrhage, had died, the CBC reports. "...
A First: Boxing Great Will
Fight Mixed Martial Arts Great
Jun 15, 2017 2:21 PM CDT
A First: Boxing Great Will Fight Mixed Martial Arts Great
Floyd Mayweather Jr. takes on Conor McGregor in August
- Lovers of sports spectacles can rejoice: The long-rumored super-fight between undefeated boxing great Floyd Mayweather Jr. and mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor has been made official. Yahoo Sports reports the two men will face each other in a boxing match on August 26 in Las Vegas. The 40-year-old Mayweather...
Boxer Dies After
Losing for 1st
Time in Career
Oct 1, 2016 9:44 AM CDT
Boxer Dies After Losing for 1st Time in Career
'Iron' Mike Towell was stretchered out of the ring on Thursday
- A 25-year-old Scottish boxer died Friday night after losing a bout for the first time in his career, the
reports. According to CNN , "Iron" Mike Towell squared off against Dale Evans Thursday in Scotland in a British welterweight title final eliminator. Evans knocked Towell down for a second...
Boxer Dies of
Dementia at 64
Sep 8, 2016 12:00 AM CDT
'Blood-and-Guts' Boxer Dies of Dementia at 64
Bobby Chacon had thrilling career, lots of personal tragedies
- Hall of Fame boxer Bobby Chacon has died under hospice care for dementia. He was 64. Inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2005, the former WBC featherweight and super featherweight champion went 59-7-1 with 47 knockouts in a 16-year pro career, the AP reports. The California native...
Boxing Association Removes
Olympic Judges and Refs
Aug 17, 2016 3:55 PM CDT
Boxing Association Removes Olympic Judges and Refs
Amid accusations of corruption
- The International Boxing Association has removed an undisclosed number of referees and judges from the Olympics after determining they had not met the organization's standards of competence, the AP reports. AIBA announced the decision Wednesday, declining to disclose the judges' names or the bouts in which they failed. The...
Jun 4, 2016 6:20 AM CDT
Muhammad Ali's Greatest Quotes
The 'Louisville Lip' knew just what to say
- Muhammad Ali, who died Friday at age 74 , wasn't known as the Louisville Lip for nothing. The man whose quick hands and feet stunned opponents inside the ring—and won him three heavyweight-boxing championships—showed just as much verbal dexterity for the microphones. Some of his best quotes, per...
Ali in 'Grave
Jun 3, 2016 6:19 PM CDT
Reports: Muhammad Ali in 'Grave Condition'
He's been hospitalized with respiratory issues for two days
- Muhammad Ali has been laid up in an Arizona hospital with respiratory issues since Thursday, and the situation is reportedly serious. According to
, an Ali spokesperson says the 74-year-old boxing legend is in "fair condition" and would be released after a brief stay at the hospital. But...
Boxer Out of
Coma a Week
Apr 4, 2016 1:44 PM CDT
Boxer Out of Coma a Week After Fight
Nick Blackwell is speaking, promoter says
- British boxer Nick Blackwell woke from an induced coma a week after collapsing following a fight and he is speaking from his hospital bed, promoters said Monday. Promoter Hennessy Sports published a picture of Blackwell looking into the camera with his left fist seemingly clenched, surrounded by his brother and...
Ronda Rousey Loses
Title Fight in Stunner
Nov 15, 2015 6:02 AM CST
Ronda Rousey Loses Title Fight in Stunner
UFC champ defeated by Holly Holm in KO
- Ronda Rousey was the UFC's unstoppable force until Holly Holm produced one of the sport's biggest upsets. Rousey chased Holm around the ring at UFC 193 on Sunday looking for the right hold and taking head shots—until Holm saw an opening 59 seconds into the second round...
There Might Be a Rematch to the Fight of the Century
Oct 9, 2015 6:00 PM CDT
There Might Be a Rematch to the Fight of the Century
Pacquiao says he's negotiating with Mayweather for one more match
- Is it possible to have two Fights of the Century? We may be about to find out, as Manny Pacquiao announced Thursday he is in talks with Floyd Mayweather about staging a rematch of last May's bout .
reports Mayweather is currently retired, but money—May's fight...
In Final Fight,
Sep 13, 2015 5:43 AM CDT
In Final Fight, Mayweather Stays Perfect
Boxing great improves to 49-0 against Andre Berto
- His career winding down to its final seconds, Floyd Mayweather Jr. took a victory lap around the ring, his fist raised in triumph. After 19 years of perfection in the ring, he deserved one final bow. Mayweather capped a remarkable career with a typical Mayweather fight last night, using his...
Mayweather Stripped of
'Fight of the Century' Belt
Jul 7, 2015 6:03 AM CDT
Mayweather Stripped of 'Fight of the Century' Belt
Boxer failed to pay fee, give up titles in other weight classes
- Floyd "Money" Mayweather has nothing to show for his " fight of the century " against Manny Pacquiao but his paltry $240 million . The World Boxing Organization has stripped the boxer, 38, of his welterweight title earned in Las Vegas in May after he failed to pay a $200,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
The Wedding May Save a Family. But the Bride Is 8
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.