Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Restaurant Takes Day Off After
Customers Make Staff Cry
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Restaurant Takes Day Off After Customers Make Staff Cry
One patron told a server, 'I hope you get hit by a car'
- It’s not news that people sometimes aren’t at their best at a restaurant. But telling a server you hope they get hit by a car is a special level of unkind. That sort of behavior—things that made the staff cry—is why a Massachusetts restaurant shut down...
to Keep Ketchup in Stock
Apr 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Restaurants Struggle to Keep Ketchup in Stock
- In the grand scheme of a pandemic, it's not so bad. Still, the
Wall Street Journal
reports on an unexpected hiccup related to COVID—a ketchup shortage. The issue is most pronounced for restaurants scrambling to find supplies, particularly of ketchup packets, which are deemed safer than shared bottles....
for Restaurants May
Not Please Servers
Dec 24, 2020 8:02 AM CST
'Year-End Victory' for Restaurants May Not Please Servers
Labor Dept. says employers can mandate tipped workers share their tips
- New changes to Labor Department rules are being called a "year-end victory" for the restaurant industry, per the National Restaurant Association—though servers who rely on tips to boost their sub-minimum-wage pay may not be giving it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Fox Business reports on a revision made final Tuesday...
Consider a Ban of Their Own
Dec 23, 2020 3:22 PM CST
NYC Restaurants Consider a Ban of Their Own
Unhappy about suspension of indoor dining, owners discuss not serving Cuomo or de Blasio
- The coronavirus restrictions on restaurants have sparked large demonstrations in New York City, and now a group of restaurant owners is considering a more targeted response. After a ban on indoor dining was reinstated, there's talk in the industry of implementing a ban on Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor...
City's Indoor Dining Ban
Dec 11, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Cuomo Reinstates City's Indoor Dining Ban
Growing hospitalization rates in New York concern governor, de Blasio
- Rising hospitalization and coronavirus positivity rates have triggered a shutdown on indoor dining at New York City restaurants, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday. The ban will take effect Monday, WNBC reports. Mayor Bill de Blasio acknowledged that the suspension of indoor dining will be painful, saying resumption last month brought...
Amid Pandemic, Rats
Getting Increasingly Desperate
May 24, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Amid Pandemic, Rats Getting Increasingly Desperate
As restaurant Dumpsters suffer, so, too, do rodents
- Nearly 100,000 Americans are dead , almost 40 million are unemployed , and now the
informs us that even the lowly rat is suffering amid the pandemic as shuttered restaurants means "trash bins are no longer overflowing with scrumptious leftovers hordes of rodents subsisted on." That's...
End of the Buffet Line?
Fans Take News Hard
May 8, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
End of the Buffet Line? Fans Take News Hard
Model doesn't seem to work during or after a pandemic
- Restaurants of all sorts face an uncertain path to reestablishing a thriving business. But the prospects for buffet restaurants appear especially bleak during the pandemic. So none of the 97 Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes restaurants will reopen, the company announced this week. The FDA had recommended closing down self-serve stations,...
Food Delivery Apps?
'Let Them Burn'
Apr 13, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
Food Delivery Apps? 'Let Them Burn'
'Food & Wine' writer says Grubhub, DoorDash are hurting restaurants with excessive commissions
- Few restaurants remain open for people to frequent during the pandemic, though many eateries continue to offer takeout and delivery options. And tapping into delivery apps like Grubhub, Uber Eats, and DoorDash is an easy way to get meals brought right to your doorstep—though Khushbu Shah would be happier...
Stock Is Up
From Last Year
Mar 14, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Only One Restaurant's Stock Is Up From Last Year
Domino's is up almost 8% in 2020
- The novel coronavirus continues to wreak havoc around the globe, and restaurants are nervously keeping an eye on things as more people hole up at home to practice social distancing . One chain in particular, though, has been doing so well that it's "making analysts nervous," per MarketWatch...
May 21, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Jamie Oliver 'Devastated' About Chain's Collapse
Chef's British restaurant chain has filed for bankruptcy protection
- Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's British restaurant chain filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday, partly due to increased competition and escalating rents in local commercial districts. The insolvency put 1,300 jobs at risk and reignited worries about local retail and food outlets in Britain, reports the AP . "I'...
Hawaii Moves to Ban
Mar 19, 2019 4:11 AM CDT
Hawaii Moves to Ban Restaurant Plastic
'Our state can once again take the lead in protecting our environment'
- Hawaii would be the first state in the US to ban most plastics at restaurants under legislation that aims to cut down on waste that pollutes the ocean. Dozens of cities across the country have banned plastic foam containers, but Hawaii's measure would make it the first to do...
IHOP Just Flipped One
Letter in Its Name
Jun 6, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
IHOP Just Flipped One Letter in Its Name
But no one knows yet what the 'b' in 'IHOb' stands for
- First it was International House of Pancakes, then just IHOP, and now … IHOb? A cryptic tweet Monday from the restaurant chain notes a coming rebrand, though it's not saying what the "b" stands for; that reveal will come on Monday. "We're serious about the quality...
Big Winners at
the 'Oscars of Food'
May 8, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Big Winners at the 'Oscars of Food'
Time to start calling in your reservations
- Though the Met Gala probably drew more eyes, Monday night also marked the "Oscars of the food world," per Eater . Some 600 culinary professionals voted to honor some of the top chefs, restaurants, and restaurateurs in the country at the James Beard Awards in Chicago. Since you'll...
Mar 6, 2018 1:23 PM CST
OpenTable Sorry for Employee's 'Disgraceful' Scheme
Worker fired after logging 300 fake reservations on rival service
- Tactics are apparently rough in the business of online dinner reservations. An employee for OpenTable, the nation's No. 1 such service, made 300 fake reservations over three months at dozens of Chicago restaurants through rival service Reserve, reports Eater Chicago . The idea was to make Reserve look bad. As...
Celeb Chef Steps Down After
Sexual Harassment Uproar
Oct 24, 2017 7:55 AM CDT
Celeb Chef Steps Down After Sexual Harassment Uproar
John Besh will put 'full focus on his family,' says restaurant group's new CEO
- After a series of allegations of rampant sexual harassment , throughout the restaurant group that bears his name, chef John Besh has left. "John has decided to step down from all aspects of operations and to provide his full focus on his family," new CEO of New Orleans-based Besh...
for Culture of
Oct 23, 2017 8:41 AM CDT
Report: Celeb Chef Blasted for Culture of Sex Harassment
25 current and ex-employees say John Besh, biz partner fostered 'kitchen bros' environment
- More than two dozen women are accusing a celebrity chef and his business partner of fostering a
-type atmosphere they say was overrun by "kitchen bros." An eight-month probe by the
found 25 current and past employees who document sexual harassment while working at John Besh'...
Sep 2, 2017 2:41 PM CDT
Is OpenTable Slowly Dying?
It revolutionized online reservations, but faces threats
- It's been almost 20 years since OpenTable launched in 1998. Now seating more than 23 million diners a month in 43,000 restaurants worldwide, it's still a force to be reckoned with, but the
New York Times
details the company's recent devaluation and other woes, and calls...
Food Critic Gets Eye-Opener
as Dishwasher for a Day
Aug 11, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
Food Critic Gets Eye-Opener as Dishwasher for a Day
Scrub, scrub, scrub—and be wary of habanero oil
- To be a dishwasher in a top restaurant, you need a "heroic" work ethic, says Tom Sietsema. That's just one thing the
food critic discovered after spending seven hours doing that very job. Taking a shift at Caracol, chef Hugo Ortega's 250-seat Mexican seafood restaurant...
World's Best Restaurant
Lives in Manhattan
Apr 6, 2017 7:00 AM CDT
World's Best Restaurant Lives in Manhattan
US restaurant tops Best 50 list for first time since 2004
- Manhattan's Eleven Madison Park is now the best restaurant in the world as well as the best restaurant in America, according to the influential World's 50 Best Restaurants List . The restaurant, which serves contemporary American cuisine in a $295 tasting menu, is the first US restaurant to top...
Burger King Owner Buys
Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Feb 21, 2017 12:32 PM CST
Burger King Owner Buys Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Restaurant Brands also owns Tim Hortons
- Doughnuts, hamburgers, and as of Tuesday … chicken. That's what's now on the menu for Restaurant Brands International, the owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons that just raided the fast-food henhouse to buy the Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen chain for nearly $1.65 billion, per the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.