Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Piece of Cheese Helped
Bring Down a Drug Dealer
May 25, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
This Piece of Cheese Helped Bring Down a Drug Dealer
Carl Stewart's photo of him holding a block of Stilton allowed UK police to lift his prints
- If evading police was the goal, Carl Stewart seemed to be doing everything right. The UK drug dealer used an encrypted phone system called EncroChat—one favored by organized crime in Europe—to carry out his surreptitious communications, and he adopted the handle "Toffeeforce" to do business, selling heroin...
Monks Are Sitting on
4K Discs of Cheese
Mar 26, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Monks Are Sitting on 4K Discs of Cheese
With demand plummeting, French monastery sells online
- The pandemic has cut sales of the cheese produced at a French monastery in half. Restaurants are closed, and customers don't stop by the Cîteaux Abbey's shop these days. So the basement is filling up with 4,000 semi-soft discs, the
reports. The Trappist monks who...
Sell This 'Dangerous' Cheese
and You Could Be Fined $60K
Mar 20, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Sell This 'Dangerous' Cheese and You Could Be Fined $60K
But in Sardinia, casu marzu is a way of life
- Spotting maggots in your food is generally a sign that it needs to be tossed, quickly. When it comes to the Sardinian cheese casu marzu, it's a sign that everything is going as planned. At CNN , Agostino Petroni takes a deep dive into what Guinness World Records has called...
There's a New Retail
'Crisis' Affecting Costco
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
There's a New Retail 'Crisis' Affecting Costco
Imports delayed over apparent lack of shipping containers
- There's a reason your local Costco may look barer than usual. Delays at ports are affecting supplies of imported goods, and imported cheeses in particular,
reports. During an earnings call last week, CFO Richard Galanti explained Costco was seeing limited supplies of cheese, seafood, olive oil, furniture,...
This Is the World's
Mar 6, 2020 12:43 PM CST
This Is the World's Best Cheese
Gruyere from Switzerland takes top prize at world's biggest cheese, butter, yogurt competition
- A Gruyere from Switzerland has been named the world's best cheese, chosen from a record number of entrants from 26 nations in the World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin. The cheese from Bern, Switzerland, made its maker, Michael Spycher of Mountain Dairy Fritzenhaus, a two-time winner. Spycher also won...
Scores a Big First
Nov 1, 2019 4:44 AM CDT
American Cheese Scores a Big First
Oregon cheese scored first-ever US win at World Cheese Awards
- Cheese snobs who think American cheese is defined by Cheez Whiz will have been surprised by this year's World Cheese Awards. For the first time in the event's 32-year history, the winning cheese came from the US,
Food & Wine
reports. The honor went to the Rogue River...
Famous Chef Says This Spice
Cost Him a Michelin Star
Sep 25, 2019 8:27 AM CDT
Famous Chef Says This Spice Cost Him a Michelin Star
France's Marc Veyrat says saffron fooled inspector into thinking pedestrian cheese was used
- Marc Veyrat is world renowned, recognized for both his wild herb-based fare and his trademark look—a "wide-brimmed black Savoyard hat and smoke-tinted glasses," per the
. What the 69-year-old French chef doesn't want to be known for, however, is losing a coveted star in the Michelin...
Aug 23, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Suit: Premium Dairy's Cows Surrounded by Dirt, Concrete
Class-action complaint against Tillamook creamery says most cows' life isn't as idyllic as advertised
- Visit the website of the Tillamook County Creamery Association, and you'll view photos of "pampered" cows roaming freely in verdant fields. A new lawsuit from the Animal Legal Defense Fund, however, takes issue with this idyllic imagery from the company that churns out Tillamook-brand butter, cheese, ice cream,...
Millennials Blamed for
Travails of American Cheese
Oct 11, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Millennials Blamed for Travails of American Cheese
Bloomberg: Sales are down as younger generation turns away from processed food
- American cheese has been a staple in US kitchens for decades, but Bloomberg reports that its fortunes appear to be heading south. The story also sees one big reason why: Millennials aren't interested in buying or eating the processed stuff, preferring instead natural cheeses that taste more distinctive even...
In an Ancient Jar, World's
Oldest Cheese Is Found
Aug 17, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
In an Ancient Jar, World's Oldest Cheese Is Found
Remnants of the stuff remain after 3,200 years
- For thousands of years beneath Egypt's desert sands, a solidified whitish substance sat in a broken jar. Scientists now say it's "probably the most ancient archaeological solid residue of cheese ever found," per the AP . Archaeologists came across the finding while cleaning the sands around a...
Cops: Pizza Worker Tampered
With Shredded Cheese
Jun 7, 2018 8:20 AM CDT
Cops: Pizza Worker Tampered With Shredded Cheese
NC manager discovered what cops suspect was rat poison before any customers were affected
- Customers at a North Carolina pizzeria may have dodged a close one last week. The
News & Observer
reports an employee at Fayetteville's Primo Pizza was arrested Wednesday and accused of mixing what cops believe was rat poison in with the shredded cheese. Per a Fayetteville Police release , a...
French Have Field Day With
Whole Foods Cheese Map
Sep 8, 2017 7:40 AM CDT
French Have Field Day With Whole Foods Cheese Map
The inaccuracies are inspiring widespread sass
- In cheese-loving France, there's plenty of regional pride for which places first made, or exclusively produce, each fromage. So when Whole Foods displayed a French cheese map with glaring inaccuracies, an online melee ensued, reports Eater . It all started when French expat Mikaël, who lives in DC, on...
Little-Known Billionaire's Job:
Making Cheese for Our Pizza
May 26, 2017 12:36 PM CDT
Little-Known Billionaire's Job: Making Cheese for Our Pizza
You've probably never heard of James Leprino, the 'Willy Wonka of cheese'
- You've likely never seen a photo of James Leprino, a 79-year-old reclusive billionaire in Colorado who runs Leprino Foods, a cheese and dairy manufacturing company. But that business is actually an empire—its website says it's the "world's largest producer of mozzarella"—and though Leprino...
Dad of 2 Dies of Botulism
Tied to Nacho Cheese
May 23, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Dad of 2 Dies of Botulism Tied to Nacho Cheese
Toxin found in cheese served at California gas station
- The same nacho cheese that left a woman paralyzed has now resulted in a man's death. Health officials in California say one of 10 people hospitalized after eating nacho cheese containing the botulinum toxin at Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove has died, per NPR . Family members...
There's a Major
May 9, 2017 6:24 PM CDT
There's a Major Misconception About Dairy
It's not linked to increase in cardiovascular disease: study
- Gouda news for cheese lovers: Despite claims that the fatty treat does damage to your cardiovascular health, a review of 29 studies has found no evidence that full-fat dairy products like cheese and milk boost one's risk of death, heart attack, or stroke. While many dairy products are high...
Has a Plan for
11M Pounds of
Aug 24, 2016 8:53 AM CDT
Uncle Sam Has a Plan for 11M Pounds of Excess Cheese
USDA to spend $20M to scoop up surplus, distribute to food banks and pantries
- "Get rid of the gouda" isn't something you'd expect from a government directive, but that's the gist of what the Department of Agriculture is doing to ease the country's cheese crisis. By "crisis," we mean there's more cheese stockpiled and languishing in...
The World's Most
Comes From Donkeys
Jul 31, 2016 11:07 AM CDT
The World's Most Expensive Cheese Comes From Donkeys
Or, try a donkey-milk liqueur
- What goes great with donkey cheese? Donkey sausage, of course. That's the repast writer Kristin Vukovic enjoyed at the Zasavica Special Nature Reserve in Serbia, where milk from the beasts of burden is used to make the world's most expensive cheese . A small cupcake-sized mound of the stuff...
Wine and Stinky
Jul 28, 2016 4:32 PM CDT
Wine and Stinky Shipwreck Cheese, Anyone?
Not really sure of best pairing for gooey 340-year-old 'dairy product' from Swedish warship
- For 340 years, the Swedish ship Kronan has languished at the bottom of the Baltic Sea, the 126-gun warship's permanent resting place after it was sunk right before a 1676 skirmish with Denmark and the Netherlands, Atlas Obscura reports. It was found in 1980, and since then it's...
20K Pounds of
Cheese From Truck
Jul 2, 2016 11:49 AM CDT
Thieves Nab 20K Pounds of Cheese From Truck
Anyone transporting crackers should be on high alert
- It's a caper of grand proportion in a state that loves its cheddar. The AP reports 20,000 pounds of cheese has vanished from southeastern Wisconsin. The cheese, produced by US Foods, was in a semitrailer parked at a business in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek when it...
America Has Way
Too Much Cheese
Apr 30, 2016 6:42 AM CDT
America Has Way Too Much Cheese
Dairy stockpile is the biggest in decades
- America has its problems but a cheese shortage definitely isn't one of them, according to the latest USDA figures. The stockpile of unsold cheese has swelled to more than 1.2 billion pounds, its highest level in records going back to at least 1984, Bloomberg reports. The cheese glut...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.