Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to
Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
Jan 21, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
South Florida Fair insisted 'terminal' auction rules couldn't be changed to save swine from slaughter
- When Meg and Eric Weinberger recently attended the South Florida Fair in West Palm Beach, they had their eyes open for a pig to bring home to their animal sanctuary, Rescue Life in nearby Palm Beach Gardens. They became enamored with one pig in particular named Bella B Swine, and...
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise
Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
Dec 4, 2022 4:25 PM CST
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
Dozens of similar facilities are planned in coming years
- Pigs are big business in China, which consumes about half of the world’s pork, but pig farms require lots of space. They also produce a slurry of toxic biproducts and—above all—are vulnerable to disease outbreaks like African swine fever, which wiped out 100 million pigs between 2018...
The Supreme Court Weighs
a Meaty Topic Involving Pigs
Oct 12, 2022 9:49 AM CDT
The Supreme Court Weighs a Meaty Topic Involving Pigs
California's animal-cruelty law requires more space for breeding pigs
- When it comes to pork production, California doesn't have much to speak of. It imports more than 99% of the pork it consumes, a figure NPR reports that translates into 13% of the pork produced in the US. On Tuesday, an animal-cruelty law surrounding that pork made its way...
Feb 21, 2022 7:27 AM CST
Carl Icahn Takes On McDonald's Over Pig Treatment
Financier buys small stake, wants to make moves over its treatment of pigs used for pork
- Carl Icahn holds a small stake in McDonald's, but the financier has two things he wants now that he's a player in the company's machinations: two people of his choice named to the Mickey Dee's board, as well as an improvement in how the company treats...
This Airport's Secret Weapon
Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Nov 29, 2021 1:28 PM CST
This Airport's Secret Weapon Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Officials hope the pigs will eat enough sugar beet near Amsterdam's Schiphol hub to fend off geese
- No one wants their plane to fly into a flock of birds during takeoff, and at one of the Netherlands' busiest hubs, they've come up with a most creative approach to try to prevent such an event. A six-week project has been launched that has stuck pigs on a...
Pigs Impress Researchers
With Video Game Skills
Feb 12, 2021 10:31 AM CST
Pigs Impress Researchers With Video Game Skills
They used their snouts to control joystick
- You won't see Wilbur joining a
Call of Duty
session any time soon, but researchers have confirmed that pigs are capable of playing video games. In a study published in the journal
Frontiers of Psychology
, animal behavior specialist Candace Croney and chimpanzee cognition expert Sarah Boysen says four pigs...
This Drawing of a Pig
Might Be Historic
Jan 14, 2021 10:55 AM CST
This Drawing of a Pig Might Be Historic
Study suggests image in Indonesian cave is oldest known depiction of an animal
- An ancient artist ventured into an Indonesian cave 45,000 years ago and used primitive paint to sketch pigs on the ceiling. In a study at
, archaeologists have now declared the painting to be the oldest depiction of animals known in history, reports
. The scene depicts...
The Premier Tried to Speak.
Then Came the Pig Guts
Nov 27, 2020 7:01 AM CST
The Premier Tried to Speak. Then Came the Pig Guts
'Disgusting' Taiwan protest was in response to allowance of US pork imports with ractopamine
- It's not out of the ordinary for fights to break out in Taiwan's parliament, but Friday's brawl was more stomach-turning than usual. As Premier Su Tseng-chang tried to answer questions during a session of the Legislative Yuan, punches flew and members of the Kuomintang (KMT) opposition party...
One Pig Farmer Warns:
'There Will Be Suicides'
May 14, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
One Pig Farmer Warns: 'There Will Be Suicides'
Hundreds of thousands of pigs are being culled amid backlogs at meatpacking plants
- Chickens aren't the only animals getting gassed amid the coronavirus pandemic. As the
New York Times
reports, American pork producers are killing and disposing of hundreds of thousands of pigs "without processing them into food." Closures of meatpacking plants mean there's a backlog of pigs waiting...
Meat Shortage Affecting
One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
May 5, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Meat Shortage Affecting One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
Some Wendy's locations don't have burgers
- Despite President Trump's executive order dictating that meat processing plants stay open , the specter of meat shortages is being felt across the US—and customers of at least one fast-food chain are taking notice. Bloomberg notes that Wendy's has long advertised itself as offering hamburgers made from fresh...
Fire Breaks Out After Pig
Eats, Excretes Pedometer
Mar 9, 2020 5:24 PM CDT
Fire Breaks Out After Pig Eats, Excretes Pedometer
The copper in the battery was likely a factor in the blaze
- Just when you think you've heard it all: A fire broke out in England after a pig ... swallowed a pedometer. And then excreted it. The battery's copper proved to be an unfortunate mix with the dry hay and the feces in the North Yorkshire pig pen, reports the...
Swine Fever Outbreak
Expected to Wipe Out
a Quarter of All Pigs
Oct 31, 2019 2:27 AM CDT
Swine Fever Outbreak Expected to Wipe Out a Quarter of All Pigs
Finding a vaccine is a 'complex challenge'
- The World Organization for Animal Health says around a quarter of the global pig population is expected to die from African swine fever. Dr. Mark Schipp, the organization's vice president, told reporters in Australia that the spread of the disease in the past year to countries including China, which...
African Swine Fever
Reaches South Korea
Sep 18, 2019 12:29 AM CDT
African Swine Fever Reaches South Korea
Outbreak threatens to wreak havoc on herds
- South Korea has confirmed a second case of African swine fever near its border with North Korea, raising concerns that the outbreak could spread and wreak havoc on the country's massive pig herds. An official from South Korea's agriculture ministry said Wednesday that workers were planning to cull...
Hot Dog Buns
Used to Fight
Aug 30, 2019 8:09 AM CDT
Hot Dog Buns Used to Fight Vermont Town's Pig Problem
The farmer's fine reportedly stands at $82K
- About 250 pigs have been causing a ruckus in a Vermont town after they escaped from their enclosure weeks ago, but most of them had been returned as of Thursday thanks in part to a trail of hot dog buns and good ol' fashioned corralling. "What [the buns do]...
Farmers Jailed Over Pig Semen
Smuggled in Shampoo Bottles
Aug 14, 2019 3:58 PM CDT
Farmers Jailed Over Pig Semen Smuggled in Shampoo Bottles
Australian minister describes 'a disturbing disregard for the laws'
- Two pig farmers have been jailed in Australia over their role in illegally importing pig semen disguised as shampoo. GD Pork managing director Torben Soerensen was sentenced to three years in prison; production manager Henning Laue was sentenced to two years. Both men were accused of aiding in a scheme...
Scientists Make History
With Work on Dead Brains
Apr 17, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
Scientists Make History With Work on Dead Brains
Yale scientists breathed some life into them
- Scientists say they've managed to revive cellular activity in a group of dead brains—a development that could lead to new health treatments and even blur our notions of life and death, the
New York Times
reports. The Yale University team obtained freshly decapitated pig heads from a slaughterhouse,...
Woman Agrees to Adopt
Pig, Has It Slaughtered
Apr 9, 2019 7:19 AM CDT
Woman Agrees to Adopt Pig, Has It Slaughtered
Cops found more than 200 pounds of pork products
- A pig rescued from a slaughterhouse as a piglet ended up as pork products after all. An animal rescue activist in France looked after the animal for two years after it was saved when it was two months old. When the activist moved and no longer had space to keep...
Some Doctors Want
Brown Med School's
Use of Pigs Probed
Jan 30, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Some Doctors Want Brown Med School's Use of Pigs Probed
Prominent physicians' group has asked federal regulators to investigate
- A prominent physicians' group has asked federal regulators to investigate Brown University's medical school, arguing it is violating the law by using live pigs for training in emergency medicine. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine on Tuesday asked the US Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection...
Baboon Experiment May
Have Big Implications
Dec 6, 2018 8:14 AM CST
Baboon Experiment May Have Big Implications
Two survive 6 months with pig hearts
- A new study involving pigs and baboons could mean big news for humans downs the road. Researchers successfully implanted pig hearts into baboons, and two of the recipients lived for six months before being euthanized, reports
. Writing in
, the researchers from Germany, Sweden, and Switzerland call the...
Farmers Worried as Death
Rates Surge for Female Pigs
Oct 1, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Farmers Worried as Death Rates Surge for Female Pigs
Agriculture industry trying to get a handle on problem with sows
- Operators of farms with a large number of female pigs are seeing a worrying trend—death rates are surging among the sows. One industry group, Swine Management Services, says the death rate increased from 5.8% to 10.2% from 2013 to 2016, per
National Hog Farmer
. "This makes...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.