Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
47 Cats Found in Car
During Extreme Heat
Jun 20, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
47 Cats Found in Car During Extreme Heat
Owner had been living with them in vehicle for 'some time,' Animal Humane Society says
- This is National Adopt a Cat Month, and the Animal Humane Society in Minnesota has 47 new arrivals that will need new homes. The AHS says the felines were rescued from a vehicle during extreme heat last week, WCCO reports.The society says it was contacted by the Chisago County...
Mar 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Neb. Lawmaker Apologizes for Believing 'Ugly Rumor'
State Sen. Bruce Bostelman believed claim schools were putting out litter boxes for 'furry' students
- School custodians probably wouldn't want to add "empty litter boxes" to their daily to-do list, and luckily they don't have to—because students using litter boxes in school is not an actual thing. One Nebraska lawmaker is finally acknowledging that, and offering a public apology, after spreading...
Would-Be Cat Rescuer
Needs His Own Rescue
Mar 8, 2022 8:05 AM CST
Would-Be Cat Rescuer Needs His Own Rescue
Firefighters bring down teen from high tree, and the cat was brought down later
- A teenager who scaled a tree at an Indianapolis park to rescue a cat he spotted high up in the branches ended up stuck himself and in need of a rescue, officials said. The 17-year-old boy was at Holliday Park on Indianapolis' north side Saturday afternoon when he saw the...
Has a First Cat
Jan 28, 2022 7:40 AM CST
America Now Has a First Cat
Willow joins Commander, the Bidens' German shepherd puppy, in the White House
- Commander has a new friend in the White House. Last month, President Biden and wife Dr. Jill Biden adopted the German shepherd puppy and brought him to DC. Now he's got a feline companion. The Bidens welcomed a 2-year-old gray-and-white tabby named Willow to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on Wednesday,...
In This City,
Dozens of Fires
Dec 31, 2021 1:30 PM CST
In This City, Unlikely Suspects Have Started Dozens of Fires
Cats are being blamed for 100-plus blazes in Seoul homes over the past 3 years
- It's not unusual to hear about a young child starting a house fire after playing with matches or a lighter. In South Korea, however, one city is plagued by a different type of accidental arsonist. Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters reports that for the past three years—from...
Cats May Have a
More 'Profound Mind'
Than We Thought
in case you missed it
Nov 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Cats May Have a More 'Profound Mind' Than We Thought
Research shows cats track their owners' movements around the house
- If you've ever sensed that your aloof cat, who appears to ignore you, nevertheless seems to know just where you are at all times, you may be onto something. A new study out of Japan shows that cats may actually track their owners as they move around the house,...
Woman Catches Most Deadly
Form of Plague From Her Cats
Sep 21, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Woman Catches Most Deadly Form of Plague From Her Cats
Pneumonic plague rarely occurs in humans; her case is severe
- A woman in Wyoming has come down with pneumonic plague, the most severe form of plague and the only one that can pass from person to person, which she likely caught from her cats. The state Health Department reported Wyoming's seventh human case of plague in 43 years—a...
Hundreds of Cats in UK
Die From Mystery Illness
Aug 6, 2021 3:37 AM CDT
Hundreds of Cats in UK Die From Mystery Illness
Toxic pet food could be the cause
- Authorities in Britain are looking into whether toxic cat food could be the cause of a huge surge in a rare cat iillness. The Royal Veterinary College says at least 528 cases of the blood condition feline pancytopenia have been reported to it in recent months, and around 330 of...
Binx the Cat
Found 16 Days
Jul 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Binx the Cat Found 16 Days After Surfside Condo Collapse
'A small piece of good news': Kitty has been reunited with family
- In what WSVN calls a "miracle" for one of the families affected by the tragedy in Surfside, Fla., a cat that lived in Champlain Towers South has been found alive, more than two weeks after the condo collapsed. "After 16 long and extremely difficult days, I'm happy...
Chance You'll Pass COVID
to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Jul 9, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
Chance You'll Pass COVID to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Cats appear to be more susceptible than dogs
- There's a "surprisingly high chance" people who contract COVID-19 will pass it on to their pets, according to the author of a yet-to-be-published study, with cats especially susceptible. Researchers searched for antibodies in 48 cats and 54 dogs from 77 households where a prior COVID-19 infection was confirmed...
2 Weird Animal Rescues
Involve a Parrot and a Cat
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
2 Weird Animal Rescues Involve a Parrot and a Cat
Just another day at the office for fire crews
- Two new entries in the annals of unusual animal rescues:
Firefighters in Florida were called to rescue a cat—not out of a tree, but from the undercarriage of a car owned by New York Giants cornerback Isaac Yiadom, per the AP . Rescue workers responded to Yiadom's
Cat Jumps From 5th Floor
of Burning Chicago Building
May 14, 2021 9:24 AM CDT
Cat Jumps From 5th Floor of Burning Chicago Building
It landed on grass, walked away, then tried to return
- It's not clear how many lives a Chicago cat has after an escape from a burning building Thursday, but it's definitely fewer than nine. The black cat jumped from the fifth floor, narrowly missed a wall on the way down, and landed on grass apparently unharmed, WGN reports....
1K Cats Descend on Chicago
to Take Down Its Rats
May 12, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
1K Cats Descend on Chicago to Take Down Its Rats
Hundreds of feral felines released by animal shelter to deal with city's rodent problem
- Chicago has a rodent problem—one so bad the city has been deemed the "rattiest city" in the nation for the last six years. One local animal shelter has been hard at work combating the issue, using a rather low-tech method: It releases hundreds of feral cats onto the...
New Hampshire Law Would
Fix a Cat-Dog Inequity
Apr 15, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
New Hampshire Law Would Fix a Cat-Dog Inequity
Drivers who kill felines would have to notify owners, as they must with dogs
- Nine lives notwithstanding, killing a cat in a hit-and-run soon could become illegal in New Hampshire, per the AP . Forty years ago, New Hampshire passed a law that requires drivers who injure or kill dogs to notify police or the animals’ owners, or else face a $1,000 fine. Cats...
COVID Vaccine for Pets?
This Country Says It Has It
Apr 1, 2021 11:24 AM CDT
COVID Vaccine for Pets? This Country Says It Has It
Russian agency hopes for mass production in April of Carnivak-Cov for dogs, cats, and other animals
- As COVID vaccinations roll out worldwide, scientists who've been keeping tabs on coronavirus variants have been worried that the virus will find a home in animals and mutate there, possibly then transferring back to humans. On Wednesday, a group that oversees agriculture and veterinary safety in Russia made a...
On the Hunt
for an Animal
Mar 7, 2021 12:30 PM CST
On the Hunt for an Animal Serial Killer
Atatavist magazine follows volunteers in UK, though police say culprit is a fox
- The killings began in 2015. Beloved cats began turning up around London, their bodies mutilated. As Phil Hoad writes at
magazine, the cats appeared to have been cut with a sharp knife by a human with increasingly skilled hands. The remains also seemed to have been displayed to cause...
Popular Flea Collar Linked
to Pet Deaths, Human Injuries
Mar 2, 2021 1:09 PM CST
Popular Flea Collar Linked to Pet Deaths, Human Injuries
EPA says Seresto flea and tick collars remain safe enough for sale
- Hundreds of pet deaths and thousands of injuries to pets and humans have been linked to one of the most popular flea and tick collars in the US, according to documents from the EPA. However, there has been no warning about the Seresto collar made by Bayer and sold by...
Cat Is Returned
to Owner After
Feb 26, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Cat Is Returned to Owner After 15 Years
Brandy had vanished from backyard
- A cat that went astray 15 years ago has been reunited, older and maybe wiser, with its owner. Brandy, a brown tabby, was reunited Monday with the man who adopted her as a 2-month-old kitten in 2005, the AP reports. "It's amazing," said Charles, who did not...
Cops' Suspicious Package
Was Purring, for Good Reason
Feb 19, 2021 2:21 PM CST
Cops' Suspicious Package Was Purring, for Good Reason
Bomb squad finds newborn kittens inside, and they're all OK
- A police bomb squad responding to a suspicious package call at an Ohio church made an unexpected discovery: six newborn kittens and their mother inside a duffel bag. The Butler County Sheriff’s Office says its bomb squad was called to a church in New Miami on Thursday, per the...
Zoom's 'Cat Lawyer' Speaks
Out After Viral Video
Feb 10, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Zoom's 'Cat Lawyer' Speaks Out After Viral Video
'I disappeared and a cat appeared,' says Rod Ponton
- Everyone is supposedly due their 15 minutes of fame, and Rod Ponton just got his—except not as a human, but as a cat. Thanks to a video that went viral , the Texas attorney is now known around the world for being the lawyer on Zoom who couldn't figure...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.