Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Police: 5 Newborns
Poisoned in Same Ward
Jan 31, 2020 3:05 PM CST
Police: 5 Newborns Poisoned in Same Ward
German authorities are poised to charge nurse with attempted manslaughter
- Doctors were stumped when five babies struggled to breathe at a German hospital. Then came urine tests, a police probe, and a painful find: breast milk mixed with morphine in a syringe in a nurse's locker at the University Hospital of Ulm. Now the nurse has been arrested and...
Victim Dies 4 Years After
His Sandwich Was Poisoned
Jan 9, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Victim Dies 4 Years After His Sandwich Was Poisoned
German victim's co-worker poisoned his work lunches
- A young man in Germany has died four years after he fell into a coma when a co-worker poisoned the sandwiches he brought to work for lunch, the AP reports. The state court in Bielefeld, which convicted the suspect in the case last year, confirmed the death on Thursday, German...
Police Say Woman Killed
6 Relatives Over 14 Years
Oct 9, 2019 12:57 AM CDT
Police Say Woman Killed 6 Relatives Over 14 Years
Woman in India was motivated by greed, police say
- India has been transfixed by a case involving an alleged serial killer with an incongruous name. Police say Jolly Thomas, 47, has admitted poisoning six relatives with cyanide over a 14-year period, the
reports. She was present at the deaths of all six victims, who had consumed food or...
EPA Makes Contentious
Decision on 'Cyanide Bombs'
Aug 9, 2019 7:28 AM CDT
EPA Makes Contentious Decision on 'Cyanide Bombs'
Trump administration reauthorizes M-44 traps to kill predator wildlife
- The Environmental Protection Agency has just reupped authorization of a controversial device designed to protect livestock from predators, but which critics call a "safety menace" against other animals and humans. CBS News reports the EPA has given the green light for the USDA's Wildlife Services, as well as...
Woman Connected Illnesses
to Her Husband's Coffee
Aug 2, 2019 3:49 PM CDT
Woman Connected Illnesses to Her Husband's Coffee
Brian Kozlowski of Michigan sentenced after video showed poisoning
- A woman living near Detroit noticed that the days she felt tired and ill coincided with the days her husband made her coffee. So she hid cameras in the kitchen. When she watched the video, she moved out. Brian Kozlowski, 46, pleaded guilty to poisoning his wife's coffee and...
'Unexplained Phone Call' Raises
Eyebrows in Skripal Case
May 20, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
'Unexplained Phone Call' Raises Eyebrows in Skripal Case
Authorities say 2 Russian suspects may have received a 'signal'
- The poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal just slathered another layer of mystery on. The
reports Anatoliy Chepiga and Alexander Mishkin, the two Russians suspected of attacking the father and daughter in Salisbury, England, in March 2018 with a Novichok nerve agent, may have had some off-site assistance. Investigators...
of Poisoning 24 Patients
May 17, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Doctor Accused of Poisoning 24 Patients
Anesthesiologist Frederic Pechier is accused in France
- A French doctor is accused of poisoning two dozen surgery patients—nine of whom died—in order to make himself look good. Anesthesiologist Frederic Pechier, charged in seven poisonings in 2017, is now suspected in 17 new cases in which patients at two private clinics in Besançon went into...
Cops: Woman Gave Boyfriend
Drano to Induce 'Eternal Sleep'
May 4, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Gave Boyfriend Drano to Induce 'Eternal Sleep'
Elle Weissman, 43, was arrested in Salt Lake City
- Utah police say a woman tricked her boyfriend into drinking Drano in the hope it would kill him—and then, oddly, she took him to a hospital. Elle Weissman, 43, was arrested in Salt Lake City on Tuesday on charges of attempted murder and surreptitious administration of a certain substance,...
Maryland Can't Figure Out
Who Is Killing Bald Eagles
May 3, 2019 8:34 AM CDT
Maryland Can't Figure Out Who Is Killing Bald Eagles
Wildlife officials think someone is killing them by accident
- Wildlife authorities in Maryland are trying to stop the person who is killing bald eagles—unintentionally. So far this year, seven bald eagles and a great horned owl have been killed along the Eastern Shore by poison, and others were sickened, reports CNN . Sound familiar? Something similar happened in 2016...
Engineer Allegedly Spent
Year Trying to Kill Colleague
Apr 3, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
Engineer Allegedly Spent Year Trying to Kill Colleague
Investigators allege David Xu put cadmium in her food, water
- A chemical engineer in California spent more than a year trying to kill a colleague by poisoning her food and water with "toxic amounts of cadmium," prosecutors say. David Xu, 32, is being held without bail on charges including premeditated attempted murder resulting in great bodily injury and...
Man Gets Life for Poisoning
Mar 8, 2019 12:25 AM CST
Man Gets Life for Poisoning Co-Workers' Sandwiches
German man found guilty of attempted murder
- A German man has been sentenced to life in prison for poisoning his co-workers' sandwiches with mercury and other substances over several years, leaving one in a coma and two others with serious kidney damage. A judge at the regional court in Bielefeld, about 205 miles west of Berlin, found...
Europe Strikes Back Over
Poisoning of Ex-Russian Agent
Jan 21, 2019 6:31 PM CST
Europe Strikes Back Over Poisoning of Ex-Russian Agent
The European Union slaps sanctions on four Russians
- The European Union retaliated with sanctions Monday over the poisoning of an ex-Russian double agent and his daughter in Britain, CNN reports. The sanctions target four members of the GRU, Russia's military intelligence agency: officers Ruslan Boshirov and Alexander Petrov—who were accused of carrying out the 2018 nerve-agent...
Novelist's Insane Poisoning
Tale Isn't From Her Books
Jan 16, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Novelist's Insane Poisoning Tale Isn't From Her Books
Sherrilyn Kenyon describes broken bones, shattered teeth in lawsuit against her husband
- You'd be forgiven for assuming Sherrilyn Kenyon's tale about a conspiracy and poisoning comes from one of the fantasy author's best-selling novels. It instead makes up a lawsuit brought by Kenyon against her husband, whom she accuses of conspiring with his assistant to poison her over three...
He Thought His Wine Had Gone
Bad. It Was Much More Sinister
Jan 4, 2019 1:38 AM CST
He Thought His Wine Had Gone Bad. It Was Much More Sinister
Long Island man's estranged wife, Renee Burke, charged with attempted murder
- Long Island man Matthew Burke thought a bottle of wine had gone bad Sept. 6 when he took a sip and spat it out, prosecutors say. But the next day, his 4-year-old son told a babysitter: "Mommy put something in Daddy's drink." Prosecutors say his estranged wife,...
Alleged Poisoner Had 'Good
Strategy' to Duck Charges
Dec 29, 2018 3:05 PM CST
Alleged Poisoner Had 'Good Strategy' to Duck Charges
Seems Yukai Yang nearly got out of the US
- Seems Yukai Yang had a solution to his problem: Get the heck outta Dodge. The former Lehigh University student, charged with trying to poison his roommate , has been accused of trying to flee the US while authorities investigated him, ABC 7 reports. County prosecutors in Pennsylvania say the Chinese national...
Chemistry Major Accused
of Poisoning Roommate
Dec 21, 2018 2:07 AM CST
Chemistry Major Accused of Poisoning Roommate
Lehigh student was hospitalized with thallium poisoning
- Lehigh University student Juwal Royal thought he had a "cordial" relationship with Yukai Yang, his roommate of four years. But for months, prosecutors say, Yang was trying to kill him. Yang, a chemistry major from China, faces charges including attempted murder and aggravated assault for allegedly putting the chemical...
After 15 Years, Sculptor Finds
Source of Illness: Her Own Art
in case you missed it
Dec 8, 2018 3:40 PM CST
After 15 Years, Sculptor Finds Source of Illness: Her Own Art
Gillian Genser worked with mussel shells, ended up with heavy-metal poisoning
- Gillian Genser is a Canadian sculptor who works only with natural materials, and in
magazine, she recounts her own personal medical mystery. About 20 years ago, she began suffering debilitating symptoms such as constant headaches, frequent vomiting, aching muscles, and cramped hands. Specialists couldn't figure it out....
Intel Firm: Here's News on
the 2nd Poisoning Suspect
Oct 8, 2018 5:46 PM CDT
Intel Firm: Here's News on the 2nd Poisoning Suspect
Bellingcat says Alexander Petrov is really a doctor-spy
- One of the two suspects in the poisoning of an ex-spy in England is a trained doctor who works for Russian military intelligence and traveled to Britain under an alias, investigative group Bellingcat reported Monday. Bellingcat says on its website that the man British authorities identified as Alexander Petrov is...
German Doctors: Pussy Riot
Poisoning 'Highly Plausible'
Sep 18, 2018 4:04 PM CDT
German Doctors: Pussy Riot Poisoning 'Highly Plausible'
Pyotr Verzilov is expected to recover
- German doctors treating a member of Russian protest group Pussy Riot said Tuesday that claims he was poisoned are "highly plausible," but stressed they can't say how this might have occurred or who was responsible, the AP reports. Pyotr Verzilov has been receiving intensive care since arriving...
Severely Ill Pussy Riot Member
'Poisoned for Political Reasons'
Sep 15, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Severely Ill Pussy Riot Member 'Poisoned for Political Reasons'
Pyotr Verzilov is being flown to Berlin
- A member of Russia's Pussy Riot protest group says a severely ill fellow activist was being taken to Germany on Saturday for treatment after his suspected poisoning. Maria Alekhina tells the AP that Pyotr Verzilov was being flown to Berlin, but she did not give details. Independent news site...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.