New features on our site
Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump Finds New Way to Discourage Migrants
But swamped immigration courts manage to fast-track family cases
- Rosita Lopez said armed gang members demanded money from her and her partner at their small grocery store on the Guatemalan coast and threatened to kill them when they couldn't pay. When her partner was shot soon afterward, they sold everything and fled north, the AP reports. Just over...
Trump Loses Court Battle Over Asylum
Federal judge's ruling halts the policy across the Mexico border
- A federal judge on Wednesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing new asylum restrictions for immigrants at the US-Mexico border, marking the latest defeat for a president waging an all-out battle in the courts to stop the flow of migrants into the country, the AP reports. The ruling by US...
Mom: Daughter, 1, Died After Weeks in ICE Custody
Guatemalan girl died weeks after release
- "My Mariee died on what is Mother's Day in my country," Yazmin Juarez told a House Oversight subcommittee Wednesday, recounting how her daughter had been healthy when they made the trek north from Guatemala, but became ill during the weeks they spent in Immigration and Customs Enforcement...
As Inspectors Visited, Detained Migrants Begged for Help
Report calls border situation 'a ticking time bomb'
- In one photo, one of 88 men in a cell meant for 41 presses a piece of cardboard against the window, with the word "help." In another, a man lowers his head and clasps his hands as if in prayer. And in a third, a woman wearing a...
AOC's Tour of Migrant Facilities Got Tense
She accused guards of being disrespectful, and they say the same of her
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other members of Congress visited migrant detention facilities on the border Monday, and one tangible issue has emerged in the headlines—toilet water. AOC and at least two other lawmakers say women being held at the facilities told them guards instructed them to drink toilet water...
The Photo Rocked Us. He Just Took Responsibility
President Nayib Bukele says migrants' deaths in Rio Grande is on El Salvador
- Oscar Martinez and his 23-month-old daughter drowned in the Rio Grande while trying to reach the US. Now, a country's leader has taken the blame for the incident, a photograph of which was shared far and wide . The president of El Salvador on Sunday said the fault lies with...
Mother of Drowned Dad: 'You Can Tell He Was Trying to Protect Her'
Another migrant says family ignored warnings not to cross river
- "You can tell he was trying to protect her." So says the mother of Oscar Alberto Martinez Ramirez, the migrant who left El Salvador seeking a better life for his toddler daughter only for both of them to drown, the little girl's arm wrapped around her father'...
Image Taken at the Rio Grande Is 'Our Version of Syrian Photo'
Father, toddler drowned in Rio Grande
- They died seeking the American dream—and their photo is now being used to illustrate the dangers migrants face. A heartbreaking image of a Salvadoran father and his young daughter, who drowned trying to cross the Rio Grande on Sunday, was captured Monday by journalist Julia Le Duc and published...
Workers Plan Walkout to Protest Sales to Migrant Camps
They're not happy about Wayfair's detention center contract
- Workers at online furniture giant Wayfair say they don't want any part in what the US government is doing to migrants on America's southern border. Hundreds of workers are planning a walkout Wednesday to protest the company's sale of beds to a migrant detention center in Texas,...
Border Patrol Refuses Donations of Diapers, Soap
Texas state Rep. Terry Canales says situation is 'disgusting'
- A group of friends say they were ignored by Border Patrol agents while trying to deliver $340 worth of diapers, soap, and toys to a Texas facility where migrant children were said to be going without . Austin Savage, one of the group of six, says the lobby of the facility...
Migrant Children Removed From 'Appalling' Texas Facility
Some kids have been moved to a tent camp
- Federal authorities have confirmed that hundreds of children have been removed from a Texas facility where they had been kept in vile conditions that shocked visiting attorneys . Department of Homeland Security officials tell NBC News that around 300 children have been moved from the Border Patrol facility in Clint, some...
For Detained Migrant Kids: Lice, No Toothpaste or Soap
Attorney: 'Worst conditions I have ever witnessed in several years of doing these inspections'
- A series of reports in recent days describes miserable conditions for migrant children being held at a Border Patrol facility near El Paso, Texas. The reports are based on the accounts of attorneys who visited the facility in Clint to check on the conditions of the unaccompanied minors, ranging in...
To Cover US Deal, Mexico's President Will Sell His Plane
Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador flies commercial anyway
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador plans to fulfill a 2018 campaign promise to sell the country's presidential plane—though the estimated $150 million won't go to help poor communities as he initially stated. As the BBC reports, funds from the sale of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner will...
Did He Help or Harbor Migrants? The Jury Is Hung
Scott Warren is in the clear—for now
- An Arizona man says he helped two migrants out of the kindness of his heart. Federal prosecutors say he conspired to transport the men while shielding them from Border Patrol agents. And jurors can't decide who they believe. The case, in which 36-year-old geography teacher Scott Warren faced up...
Trump Accidentally Reveals 'Secret' Mexico Deal
Photographers were able to capture details
- President Trump again claimed to have a "secret" deal with Mexico on Tuesday—and while he declined to provide details for reporters at the White House, he helpfully displayed a piece of paper that he said was part of the agreement. A photo tweeted by
The US-Mexico Deal Wasn't Quite What It Seemed, Officials Say
Apparently most of it was struck months ago
- Turns out Friday's big immigration deal between the US and Mexico—or at least most of it—had already been struck over the past few months, officials on both sides tell the
New York Times
. The new agreement states that Mexico will deploy "its National Guard throughout Mexico"...
Trump: Mexico Tariffs Still Due to Kick In on Monday
'Not nearly enough' progress made in talks, he says
- President Trump says new tariffs on all imports from Mexico will start Monday unless a lot more progress is made in talks with Mexican officials. Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held talks with Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard at the White House Wednesday, but the...
Trump's Mexico Tariff Plan Alarms Business Leaders
Sen. Grassley slams 'misuse of authority'
- President Trump's plan to slap escalating tariffs on all imports from Mexico until the country stops the flow of migrants coming north is being criticized by business leaders—and a GOP senator who is usually a reliable Trump ally. Republican Sen. Charles Grassley, chair of the Senate Finance Committee,...
Trump Announces New Tariffs Until Mexico Stops Migrants
He warns that they could go up to 25%
- President Trump has vowed to slap new tariffs on all goods from Mexico—and to keep increasing them until the country stops migrants coming to the US. On June 10, the US "will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time...
Feds Accused of Covering Up Death of Migrant Girl, 10
Salvadoran girl died in September last year
- House lawmakers grilled acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan Wednesday about the deaths of five migrant children in US custody in recent months—but it later emerged that the real number was six. In a previously unreported case, a 10-year-old girl from El Salvador with a history of heart defects...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Clashes With Susan Collins Over Supreme Court Pick
Factory Leaks Disease That Afflicts Thousands
The Scenario in Which Kelly Could Stop Trump's Pick
Flip or Flop Star Ending Her Marriage of 2 Years
Prof Suspended After Saying 'I Hope They All Get It and Die'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.