Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bidens Mourn With
Families at Dover
Aug 29, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Bidens Mourn With Families at Dover
President meets with troops' families privately
- President Biden and his wife, Jill, traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Sunday to honor the 13 US troops killed in the Kabul airport bombing last week. The Bidens met privately with the troops' families, CNN reports, then watched the transfer of the troops' remains from the...
Biden Sets a Noteworthy
Date for Afghan Withdrawal
Apr 13, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
Biden Sets a Noteworthy Date for Afghan Withdrawal
Troops to be out by Sept. 11, the 20th anniversary of attacks
- The 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is this September, and President Biden has decided US troops will be out of Afghanistan by then. Biden plans to make the announcement Wednesday, the
reports. President George W. Bush launched the invasion after the 9/11 attacks, and President Trump signed...
Overseas Troops Await Shots
Apr 8, 2021 4:11 PM CDT
Overseas Troops Await Shots
Pentagon says it's replacing lost Johnson & Johnson supply with Moderna vaccine
- US military leaders said Thursday that recent problems with the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine have made it more difficult to provide shots for forces overseas, and that vaccines have been offered to service members' families or other Tier 2 beneficiaries in only 40% of the military sites outside the...
DOD for Help on
Feb 5, 2021 1:31 PM CST
FEMA Asked DOD for Help on Vaccines. The DOD Delivered
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has OK'd the deployment of 1K troops to vaccination sites
- The Pentagon will deploy troops to assist getting Americans vaccinated against COVID-19, the White House said Friday. Coronavirus senior adviser Andy Slavitt announced that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has approved a request for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, per the AP . It means about 1,000 active-duty military...
Space Force Has
Dec 19, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Space Force Has Completed a 'Momentous Responsibility'
Troops have been officially named 'guardians,' Mike Pence announced Friday
- If "troops" seemed too boring of a way to refer to the members of Space Force, never fear—there's a new label for those in service to the latest US military branch. "It is my honor, on behalf of the president of the United States, to announce...
Trump: Pull US Troops Out
of This Nation by January
Dec 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump: Pull US Troops Out of This Nation by January
Somalia joins Afghanistan and Iraq in Trump's end-of-term troop drawdowns
- Last month, US officials announced President Trump would be pulling a significant number of US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq by January. Now, another country joins the list, in a different part of the world. The Pentagon said Friday that nearly all of the 700 American troops in Somalia...
US Announces Major
Drawdown in Iraq
Sep 9, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
US Announces Major Drawdown in Iraq
Just 3K troops will remain at the end of this month
- The Trump administration is pulling nearly half of its troops out of Iraq. The US commander in the Middle East said Wednesday that troops would be reduced this month from 5,200 to 3,000—about the number that were in the country in 2015, during the early phase of...
Trump on Germany:
We're Done Being 'Suckers'
Jul 29, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Trump on Germany: We're Done Being 'Suckers'
Mark Esper announces 11.9K troops will withdraw from Germany
- The US will be pulling almost 12,000 troops from Germany, with a bit more than half of them—6,400—set to return stateside. The announcement came Wednesday from Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who said the remaining 5,600 troops withdrawing from Germany will be spread elsewhere throughout Europe,...
Trump: No One Told Me Russia
Offered Bounties on US Soldiers
Jun 28, 2020 8:38 AM CDT
Trump: No One Told Me Russia Offered Bounties on US Soldiers
President said he was never briefed on report that Russia paid Taliban to kill US troops in Afghanistan
- President Trump on Sunday denied that he had been briefed on reported US intelligence that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing American troops in Afghanistan, and he minimized the allegations against Moscow. American intelligence officials concluded months ago that Russian officials offered rewards...
Russia Hired Assassins
to Kill US Troops: Intel
Jun 27, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Russia Hired Assassins to Kill US Troops: Intel
President Trump was informed back in March
- US troops, killed by paid assassins? Maybe so, if this story holds any water. A Russian military spy unit has secretly paid Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan—something President Trump learned about months ago but chose not to act, US officials tell the
New York Times
Trump to Germany:
We're Pulling Out
Jun 6, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Trump to Germany: We're Pulling Out
The president is reducing US military presence in Germany
- President Trump is ordering the Pentagon to pull thousands of troops from Germany—a move that drew criticism and some speculation that it's just a tit-for-tat with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the
reports. The order will remove almost 9,500 troops and reduce the US troop presence there...
1807 Law Is at Center
of Trump's Newest Move
Jun 2, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
1807 Law Is at Center of Trump's Newest Move
Insurrection Act gives the president authority to bring in active-duty troops
- "If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them," President Trump declared Monday . His ability to do so amid the...
25 Rockets Hit Camp
With US Troops: Officials
Mar 14, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
25 Rockets Hit Camp With US Troops: Officials
Camp Taji in Iraq is under fire
- A barrage of rockets hit a base housing US and other coalition troops north of Baghdad on Saturday, Iraqi security officials said, just days after a similar attack killed three servicemen , including two Americans. The US-led coalition said at least 25 107mm rockets struck Camp Taji just before 11am, the...
Afghan Shooter Wore
an Army Uniform
Feb 9, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Afghan Shooter Wore an Army Uniform
2 Americans dead, 6 wounded in attack
- Two US service members—both Special Forces—are dead and six service members are wounded after an attack in Afghanistan on Saturday, CNN reports. An Afghan soldier was also killed and three wounded in the surprise gunfight. It began after someone in an Afghan uniform opened fire at the Sherzad...
Trump on Troop Concussions:
There Are Worse Things
Jan 22, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Trump on Troop Concussions: There Are Worse Things
'I've seen people with no legs and with no arms,' president says
- Additional US troops who were identified as having potential concussions tied to the Jan. 8 Iranian missile attack have been taken to Germany for treatment, defense officials said Tuesday. While the AP says no troop count was provided, the reportedly small group adds to the 11 who were removed from...
Iraq Votes to Eject
All Foreign Troops
Jan 5, 2020 8:59 AM CST
Iraq Votes to Eject All Foreign Troops
5K US troops would have to leave in vote taken 2 days after drone strike killed Iranian general
- Iraq's parliament has voted to expel the US military from the country, reports the AP . Lawmakers voted Sunday in favor of a resolution that calls for ending foreign military presence in the country. The resolution's main aim is to get the US to withdraw some 5,000 US...
Lawsuit: US Contractors
Basically Funded the Taliban
Dec 28, 2019 5:00 PM CST
Lawsuit: US Contractors Basically Funded the Taliban
The civil suit was filed on Friday
- A lawsuit filed Friday claims that US and international contractors paid the Taliban protection money to complete projects in Afghanistan—and says that money was used to kill Americans, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The plaintiffs are family members of 143 US service members and contractors who were wounded or...
Thousands More US Troops
Could Be Sent to Middle East
Dec 5, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Thousands More US Troops Could Be Sent to Middle East
Esper 'intends to make changes' to counter Iran, official says
- The Pentagon is considering sending several thousand additional troops to the Middle East to deter Iranian aggression, amid reports of escalating violence in Iran and continued meddling by Tehran in Iraq, Syria and other parts of the region. John Rood, defense undersecretary for policy, told senators Thursday that Defense Secretary...
US Sending Troops
to Saudi Arabia, UAE
Sep 21, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
US Sending Troops to Saudi Arabia, UAE
No military strike against Iran yet, though
- The Pentagon on Friday announced it will deploy additional US troops and missile defense equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, as President Trump has at least for now put off any immediate military strike on Iran in response to the attack on the Saudi oil industry. Defense...
Pentagon Sends More
Troops to the Border
Feb 3, 2019 4:04 PM CST
Pentagon Sends More Troops to the Border
Roughly 3,750 service members will be heading south
- The Pentagon says it's sending about 3,750 more US troops to the southwest border to help out Customs and Border Protection, CNN reports. The mission is slated to last 90 days and will include mobile surveillance as well as the placement of 150 miles of wire between ports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.