Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
America Has a Real
'Boy Crisis' on Its Hands
Apr 9, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
America Has a Real 'Boy Crisis' on Its Hands
So says author Warren Farrell
- As women increasingly call for equality and an end to sexual harassment and violence , and highlight problems with rape culture and toxic masculinity , you might think that the US is in the midst of a "girl crisis." But according to author Warren Farrell, it's actually a "...
Jan 11, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Psychologists Warn About 'Traditional Masculinity'
APA report says old-school traits could be wreaking havoc on male mental, physical health
- There's an ideology out there affecting boys and men, and the American Psychological Association says it's "harmful." The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the APA's first official warning on the toxicity of "traditional masculinity," which "has been shown to limit males' psychological...
In Thailand, a Tearful
Reunion Through Glass
Jul 11, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
In Thailand, a Tearful Reunion Through Glass
'Everybody started to cry,' says father of rescued boy
- "It's like a rebirth." That's how a father is viewing his 11-year-old son's rescue as part of a soccer team pulled by divers from a flooded cave in Thailand. "Everybody started to cry," he adds of the moment Wednesday when family members were...
Thai Cave Rescuers
Pull Out 4 More Boys
Jul 9, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Thai Cave Rescuers Pull Out 4 More Boys
Divers have ended operations for the day; 4 boys and their coach remain
- Four more boys were rescued from a cave system in Thailand on Monday, leaving four more boys and their soccer coach still stranded deep in the system as rescue operations suspended for the day, reports Reuters . Ambulances were seen leaving the scene. The development comes a day after four other...
Elon Musk's Idea to Save Thai
Boys: Make a 'Bouncy Castle'
Jul 6, 2018 12:52 PM CDT
Elon Musk's Idea to Save Thai Boys: Make a 'Bouncy Castle'
SpaceX CEO says he's sending engineers over to see if his Boring Company can assist
- Initial elation at finding 12 boys and their soccer coach in a Thai cave has since turned to concern at not being able to immediately extract them, and sadness after a diver bringing supplies died during his exit . Now, per the BBC , renewed hope joins those emotions after Tesla and...
12 Missing Boys Found Alive
in Thai Cave After 9 Days
Jul 2, 2018 1:08 PM CDT
12 Missing Boys Found Alive in Thai Cave After 9 Days
Search teams also find their coach; now, the actual rescue will need to begin
- A remarkable twist to a story that was shaping up to be a tragedy: All 12 boys missing in a cave in Thailand for nine days, along with their coach, have been found, reports the BBC . Rescuers had been zeroing in on a spot in the Tham Luang Nang Non...
Iceland Poised to Ban
Circumcision of Boys
Feb 20, 2018 3:55 AM CST
Iceland Poised to Ban Circumcision of Boys
Children's rights trump religious rights, advocates say
- The world's oldest parliament will soon be debating Europe's first ban on circumcising male children for non-medical reasons—a tradition campaigners call "male genital mutilation." The bill before Iceland's parliament proposes a six-year prison sentence for anybody removing part or all of a child's...
Set In Surprisingly Early
Jan 27, 2017 10:27 AM CST
Gender Stereotypes Set In Surprisingly Early
Girls at age 6 think boys are smarter
- A new study suggests that girls start to view boys as smarter as early as age 6. And that's even though, just a year earlier, boys and girls both associate brilliance with their own gender. "It's really heartbreaking," lead author Lin Bian of the University of...
China Is Now
Boys to Man Up
Jan 15, 2017 4:56 PM CST
China Is Now Teaching Its 'Effeminate' Boys to Man Up
New textbook 'Little Men' is being introduced in middle schools
- China is apparently concerned that its boys are becoming too effeminate. The country's solution: a masculinity-promoting school textbook called
, aimed for use in grades 4 and 5. The illustrated book talks about fathers and sons, and it encourages boys to stress their masculine side, with money management...
Nov 22, 2016 12:05 PM CST
Study Links Manliness to Depression in Men
Conforming to certain masculine norms plays out negatively in many men
- Being sexist results in a double whammy on men's mental health, new research suggests. When men strongly conform to social masculine norms, they're more likely to suffer from ailments such as depression—and the more they cling to these norms, the less likely they are to seek help...
Girls Saddled With Far More
Chores Than Boys
Oct 8, 2016 3:25 PM CDT
Girls Saddled With Far More Chores Than Boys
Worldwide, they spend 40% more time on them than boys
- In every corner of the world girls do more housework than boys, and this gender gap starts young and only widens with age. So reports UNICEF in a global analysis that finds girls on average spend 40% more time on household chores than do boys, and that this amounts to...
Yearbook Photos Show
Our Smiles Have Changed
Dec 5, 2015 3:00 PM CST
Yearbook Photos Show Our Smiles Have Changed
Photographers used to tell their subjects to say 'prune' instead of 'cheese'
- "These days we take for granted that we should smile when our picture is being taken." So write University of California Berkeley researchers, who note that photographers used to tell their subjects to say "prunes" instead of "cheese." That's because it was more fashionable...
Boys Are Even
Dec 6, 2014 4:49 PM CST
Boys Are Even Worse: Study
Researchers survey 620 kids through middle, high school
- A journal called
has published research disputing the widely-held theory that boys will beat you up, whereas girls will talk behind your back. Actually, the study suggests, boys do both: In scientific terms, they are both "physically" and "relationally" more aggressive than girls. The study followed...
Best Friend Kills Boy, 12,
With Pellet Gun
Aug 20, 2014 1:31 PM CDT
Best Friend Kills Boy, 12, With Pellet Gun
Justin Ingle and best friend were playing when accident occurred
- A night of fun between two best friends at a sleepover turned deadly when one allegedly accidentally shot the other in the head with a pellet gun,
reports. Justin Ingle, 12, died Saturday at a Tulsa, Okla., hospital of head trauma, reports the Raw Story . The incident happened...
Gives Birth to
Aug 9, 2013 11:50 AM CDT
Michigan Couple Gives Birth to 12th Son
The bride's family still foots the bill for the wedding, right?
- A Michigan family welcomed their 12th child. And, shocker, it's a boy—just like the other 11. Jay and Kateri Schwandt believed the latest baby might break the gender streak, especially after Kateri, known as Teri, was nine days past her due date. That was unusual for the 38-year-old'...
Child Python Victims
Played in Snake Case: Pics
Aug 7, 2013 4:16 PM CDT
Child Python Victims Played in Snake Case: Pics
Autopsy finds boys died from asphyxiation
- The mother of two small boys strangled by a 100-pound python in their sleep earlier this week in Canada had posted photos on Facebook last year of the boys playing in and cleaning her neighbor's snake enclosure. Mandy Trecartin's Facebook page has hundreds of photos of her sons,...
Feb 27, 2013 10:08 AM CST
Boys May Shorten Their Moms' Lives
And not just because they become teenage boys
- Are sons bad for your health? A Finnish study finds that women who had several don't live as long after the last birth as do women who have daughters. The research, however, may be a bit dated: Researchers reviewed 300 years of parish data, and most of the women...
—If You're a Girl
Feb 4, 2013 7:29 AM CST
NJ School Bans Cursing —If You're a Girl
Staff wants 'ladies to act like ladies'
- New Jersey's Queen of Peace High School would like girls to stop cursing, saying it wants "ladies to act like ladies," a teacher tells the
. So the Catholic school asked the girls, but not the boys, to take a pledge not to swear, NBC10 reports. The...
Oct 20, 2012 12:12 PM CDT
Boys Hitting Puberty Earlier, Too
It's age 9 in the earliest cases, says study
- It's widely accepted at this point that girls are reaching puberty earlier than they used to, and now the same appears to be true of boys. A comprehensive new study says boys are entering puberty somewhere between six months and two years earlier than the textbooks think, reports CNN...
Boys Really Do
Sep 11, 2012 7:25 PM CDT
Boys Really Do Throw Better
And it may be because of our primitive ancestors
- Female softball players, you might want to stop reading now. Researchers say that girls are indeed inherently worse at throwing than boys, reports the
. The gap in ability starts at a young age and gets progressively bigger. Some say it's all about nurture, because boys are usually...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.