Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Deaths of Young
People, a Stark
Nov 2, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
In Deaths of Young People, a Stark Gender Gap
New research finds nearly 2/3 of deaths worldwide in 2019 in 10-24 age group were boys, young men
- A group of researchers examined long-term mortality trends among young people, and one finding especially sticks out. Per the study published Saturday in the
journal , males are more likely than their female counterparts to die young, and in many nations, that gender gulf is only getting bigger. The research—...
China Says Its
Boys Are Too
Plan to Fix That
Feb 6, 2021 4:16 PM CST
China Says Its Boys Are Too 'Weak,' Has Plan to Fix That
'Proposal to Prevent the Feminization of Male Youths' is getting pushback
- If you're wondering about the meaning of the "Proposal to Prevent the Feminization of Male Youths," the newest initiative from China's Education Ministry, the title pretty much explains it. The
New York Times
reports that the plan, unveiled last week with scant detail and no word...
Boko Haram Kidnaps
More Than 300 Students
Dec 15, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Boko Haram Kidnaps More Than 300 Students
This time, boys were abducted from a school in Nigeria
- Nigeria's Boko Haram jihadi rebels have claimed responsibility for the abduction of hundreds of students in one of the largest attacks in years on a boys school in northern Katsina state, per the AP . More than 330 students are missing from the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara after...
Heart-Stopping Rescue After
Boy Plunges Into 44-Foot Well
Dec 10, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Heart-Stopping Rescue After Boy Plunges Into 44-Foot Well
4-year-old was on walk with parents in Garceno, Texas, when he fell in the hole
- It took a few seconds for a 4-year-old boy to fall into a well in Texas on Tuesday, and at least six hours to get him back out again. The boy had slipped into the 44-foot water well while walking with his parents at a ranch property in Garceno around...
Update on Boy Thrown From
Tate Modern Has Mixed News
Dec 1, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Update on Boy Thrown From Tate Modern Has Mixed News
7-year-old is starting to walk with a cane, talk more, but his memory is suffering
- Some good news on the young boy who was hurled off a viewing platform last year at London's Tate Modern museum. The French tourist—who was 6 when he fell five floors after being thrown off a 10th-floor balcony by 17-year-old Jonty Bravery in August 2019—ended up in...
Boy Was Forced
Trump. Now, 'It's
All Behind Me'
Nov 23, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Boy Was Forced to Threaten Trump. Now, 'It's All Behind Me'
Matthew, now 13, was just 10 when stepfather made him appear in ISIS propaganda video
- In April 2015, an 8-year-old American boy named Matthew was dragged into Syria by his mother, Samantha Sally, and stepfather, Moussa Elhassani, with Elhassani determined to become a sniper for the Islamic State. Five years later, Matthew is 13 and back in the US, and he's now telling the...
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off
Boat During Fishing Trip
Jul 18, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off Boat During Fishing Trip
Boy in stable condition after incident in waters off Tasmania
- A 10-year-old boy is lucky to be alive after a shark yanked him from a boat off the Australian coast. Authorities say the boy was on a 20-foot vessel fishing with his dad and two other people Friday about 3 miles from the shores of Tasmania when the shark emerged...
Dad Fights Off Shark
Attacking Teen Son
Jun 20, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Dad Fights Off Shark Attacking Teen Son
16-year-old Nick Arthur, bitten off Outer Banks, NC, is going to be OK
- A family getaway to the Outer Banks of North Carolina took a scary turn this week when a teen boy was attacked by a shark. Nick Arthur, 16, and his family, from Oak Ridge, were visiting Cape Hatteras National Seashore Thursday, and Nick decided to take a dip in the...
Sia's Big Reveal:
She's a Mom of 2
May 20, 2020 12:01 PM CDT
Sia's Big Reveal: She's a Mom of 2
Australian singer says she adopted teen boys last year
- Sia is a woman of constant surprises , and she's got a new one for us. Per
, the 44-year-old Australian singer (full name Sia Furler) appeared Tuesday on SiriusXM's
The Morning Mash Up
program , and when she was asked if she'd adopted a son, the famously...
Mayor on Mexico School
Shooting: 'So, So Sad'
Jan 11, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Mayor on Mexico School Shooting: 'So, So Sad'
6th-grader dies after shooting teacher to death, injuring 6 others in private school in Mexico
- A shooting at a private school in Mexico has left two dead (including the shooter) and six injured, officials say—and the shooter is said to have been an 11-year-old 6th grader who came to school with two guns. CNN reports the attack took place at the Cervantes de Torreon...
Plan to Free Boy's
a Wine Hack
Nov 1, 2019 8:50 AM CDT
Doctor's Clever Plan to Free Boy's Stuck Tongue: a Wine Hack
Anesthesiologist recalled long-ago method to free 7-year-old's tongue from grape juice bottle
- A 7-year-old boy too eager to suck down all of his grape juice is lucky Dr. Christoph Eich drinks wine—or at least knows how to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew. NBC News reports on this odd injury out of Germany, a case documented this week in the...
Boy Charged With Arson, Murder
Has Charges Explained to Him
Oct 22, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Boy Charged With Arson, Murder Has Charges Explained to Him
At 9-year-old's court appearance, judge explained many words, concepts
- The Illinois 9-year-old charged with five counts of murder in an April mobile home fire appeared in court Monday, where the judge repeatedly had to explain concepts and words the child didn't understand. The boy is accused of setting the Goodfield fire that ultimately killed his two young half-siblings,...
Murder Charge Against
9-Year-Old Triggers Debate
Oct 11, 2019 1:36 PM CDT
Murder Charge Against 9-Year-Old Triggers Debate
Mom says boy accused of setting fatal fire 'not a monster'; critics say murder charge is too severe
- The mother of a 9-year-old accused of setting an Illinois mobile home fire in April that killed five family members is speaking out—and she wants people to know her son is "not a monster," per the AP . The 28-year-old mom, IDed by the
Disturbing Development in
Case of Boy Found on Porch
Sep 20, 2019 9:53 AM CDT
Disturbing Development in Case of Boy Found on Porch
Burned-out vehicle with human remains was rental car driven by little Noelvin's parents
- A 3-year-old boy was found on a stranger's porch in Buffalo on Monday morning, more than 1,000 miles from his home in Florida, and the three adults he'd been traveling with, including his parents, are "potentially ... still alive," say Buffalo police—but it doesn't...
A Teen Was Dozing on His
Camping Trip. Enter the Bear
Aug 10, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
A Teen Was Dozing on His Camping Trip. Enter the Bear
Sleeping 13-year-old bitten on face during attack by small bear
- A camping trip near Moab turned into a frightening experience for a young teen Friday when a bear went after him while he was sleeping and bit his face. CNN reports the attack took place at the Dewey Bridge Campground, located on the banks of the Colorado River, around dawn....
Streep on 'Toxic
Hurt Our Boys'
With That Term
Jun 1, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Streep on 'Toxic Masculinity': 'We Hurt Our Boys' With That Term
Actress made comments during 'Big Little Lies' panel this week
- Meryl Streep was one of the first big names to sign on for the Time's Up campaign , and she has spoken up about "inexcusable" behavior she has experienced personally in Hollywood. But there's one term you won't find her throwing around in talks about gender interactions:...
America Has a Real
'Boy Crisis' on Its Hands
Apr 9, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
America Has a Real 'Boy Crisis' on Its Hands
So says author Warren Farrell
- As women increasingly call for equality and an end to sexual harassment and violence , and highlight problems with rape culture and toxic masculinity , you might think that the US is in the midst of a "girl crisis." But according to author Warren Farrell, it's actually a "...
Jan 11, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Psychologists Warn About 'Traditional Masculinity'
APA report says old-school traits could be wreaking havoc on male mental, physical health
- There's an ideology out there affecting boys and men, and the American Psychological Association says it's "harmful." The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the APA's first official warning on the toxicity of "traditional masculinity," which "has been shown to limit males' psychological...
In Thailand, a Tearful
Reunion Through Glass
Jul 11, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
In Thailand, a Tearful Reunion Through Glass
'Everybody started to cry,' says father of rescued boy
- "It's like a rebirth." That's how a father is viewing his 11-year-old son's rescue as part of a soccer team pulled by divers from a flooded cave in Thailand. "Everybody started to cry," he adds of the moment Wednesday when family members were...
Thai Cave Rescuers
Pull Out 4 More Boys
Jul 9, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Thai Cave Rescuers Pull Out 4 More Boys
Divers have ended operations for the day; 4 boys and their coach remain
- Four more boys were rescued from a cave system in Thailand on Monday, leaving four more boys and their soccer coach still stranded deep in the system as rescue operations suspended for the day, reports Reuters . Ambulances were seen leaving the scene. The development comes a day after four other...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.