Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Los Angeles Lakers
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Pans
HBO Series as 'Drearily Dull'
Apr 20, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Pans HBO Series as 'Drearily Dull'
The former Lakers star says 'Winning Time' is 'deliberately dishonest'
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar slammed the HBO series
Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
for being both "deliberately dishonest" and "drearily dull." The review appeared on the Lakers legend's personal website Tuesday, per
The series is described by HBO as "go[ing] back in time...
Dec 1, 2021 7:29 AM CST
LeBron James Tests Positive for COVID-19
Lakers superstar is said to be asymptomatic, will miss several games
- LeBron James, fresh off a suspension, is now sidelined by the NBA's health and safety protocols after testing positive for COVID-19. The Los Angeles Lakers superstar, who has said he is fully vaccinated, took a lateral flow test that returned a positive COVID-19 result on Tuesday, per TMZ Sports...
Hit With $15K
Fine for Obscene
Nov 27, 2021 5:30 AM CST
LeBron James Hit With $15K Fine for Obscene Gesture
This after he'd been suspended earlier in the week for hitting Detroit center Isaiah Stewart in the face
- On Friday, LeBron James was fined $15,000 for an obscene gesture by the NBA, which also warned the Lakers superstar about using profane language. James made the gesture after making a shot late in Los Angeles' 124-116 overtime victory in Indiana on Wednesday night, reports the AP . He'd...
LeBron James Gets
Two Fans Ejected
Nov 25, 2021 7:21 AM CST
LeBron James Gets Two Fans Ejected
He said Pacers fans went 'outside the line with obscene gestures and words'
- LeBron James returned from his first-ever suspension Wednesday night for the Los Angeles Lakers' game against the Indiana Pacers—and he had two fans ejected from their courtside seats in Indianapolis. With 2:29 left in overtime, the two Pacers fans, a man and a woman, were escorted out by...
Nov 23, 2021 12:30 AM CST
LeBron James Suspended for First Time
One-game suspension issued after strike to opponent's face
- During the Los Angeles Lakers' Sunday game against the Detroit Pistons, LeBron James' arm made contact with opponent Isaiah Stewart's face, leading to blood, a game stoppage, and both players being ejected from the game—just the second time James has ever been ejected. And now, for the first...
Los Angeles Lakers
Win It for Kobe
Oct 12, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Los Angeles Lakers Win It for Kobe
They're the champions of this challenging basketball season
- The ultimate anguish. The ultimate joy. This season, for LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers, had it all. And it ended in the only fashion that they deemed would be acceptable, with them back atop the basketball world. For the first time since Kobe Bryant's fifth and final...
at Kobe Pilot's
System for Clues
May 16, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Autopsy Looks at Kobe Pilot's System for Clues
The official report also gives cause of death for all 9 passengers
- The pilot flying Kobe Bryant and seven others to a youth basketball tournament did not have alcohol or drugs in his system, and all nine sustained immediately fatal injuries when their helicopter slammed into a hillside outside Los Angeles in January, according to autopsies released Friday. The reports by the...
Also Returning PPP
Loan: The Lakers
Apr 27, 2020 6:50 PM CDT
Also Returning PPP Loan: The Lakers
Team borrowed $4.6M from federal pandemic relief fund
- The Los Angeles Lakers have about 300 employees, which made the franchise eligible for a loan under the Paycheck Protection Program, created by the new $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief legislation. The team received a $4.6 million loan, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. But when the federal fund ran...
Bryant Was on His Way
to Coach Daughter's Team
Jan 27, 2020 6:33 AM CST
Bryant Was on His Way to Coach Daughter's Team
Crowds flock to California crash site
- The world has lost Kobe Bryant's heir apparent as well as the NBA legend himself. Gianna Bryant, 13, was among nine people killed in Sunday morning's helicopter crash in California . Gianna, a keen basketball player who hoped to someday play in the WNBA, was the second of Bryant'...
The World Reacts:
'There's No Words
to Express the Pain'
Jan 26, 2020 5:15 PM CST
The World Reacts: 'There's No Words to Express the Pain'
Shaquille O'Neal and Ava DuVernay are among those grieving Kobe Bryant's Death
- Kobe Bryant's tragic death Sunday has triggered an outpouring of grief from the "sports world and beyond," the
reports. Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, were among nine who perished when the NBA legend's private helicopter sputtered and crashed in the hills of...
Kobe Bryant, Daughter
Dead in Helicopter Crash
Jan 26, 2020 3:41 PM CST
Kobe Bryant, Daughter Dead in Helicopter Crash
Bryant was 41 years old, his daughter 13
- Legendary NBA player Kobe Bryant and one of his daughters died in a helicopter crash Sunday in the hills of Calabasas, Calif., TMZ reports. Officials say seven others perished when the helicopter went down in flames, killing all on board. Bryant's daughter, Gianna Maria Onore, was only 13; Bryant'...
Mistaken Email BCCs May Have
Led Magic Johnson to Quit
Apr 25, 2019 8:21 AM CDT
Mistaken Email BCCs May Have Led Magic Johnson to Quit
Sports reporter Ric Bucher references messages between Jeanie Buss, Rob Pelinka
- A good reminder to watch who you BCC on your emails. A sports reporter says it's possible Magic Johnson's sudden resignation as the Los Angeles Lakers' president of basketball operations was partially spurred by unflattering emails about him sent by franchise bosses—ones that he was mistakenly copied...
Reporter Accuses NBA Coach
Walton of Sexual Assault
Apr 23, 2019 3:44 AM CDT
Reporter Accuses NBA Coach Walton of Sexual Assault
Kelli Tennant is suing Luke Walton
- Former Los Angeles Lakers coach Luke Walton is being sued by a sports reporter who says he sexually assaulted her years ago. According to a lawsuit seen by TMZ , Kelli Tennant says Walton forced himself on her after inviting her back to his hotel room to discuss a book she...
Magic Johnson Makes
Apr 10, 2019 2:57 AM CDT
Magic Johnson Makes Shock Announcement
He's stepping down as Lakers president
- Magic Johnson abruptly quit as the Los Angeles Lakers' president of basketball operations Tuesday night, citing his desire to return to the simpler life he enjoyed as a wealthy businessman and beloved former player before taking charge of this franchise just over two years ago. Johnson didn't tell owner...
A Strange Thing
Is Happening to
Mar 5, 2019 8:21 AM CST
A Strange Thing Is Happening to LeBron James
His Lakers are pretty bad, going to miss the playoffs, and people are angry
- Barring a miracle, LeBron James is going to find himself in an unusual position this year when the NBA playoffs start—as a spectator, not a player. James joined the Los Angeles Lakers before the season, but hopes that he could turn around the struggling franchise have fizzled, at least...
Chaos Greets LeBron's
Home Debut as a Laker
Oct 21, 2018 7:54 AM CDT
Chaos Greets LeBron's Home Debut as a Laker
Multiplayer brawl breaks out late, 3 ejected as Lakers go on to lose
- LeBron James made his home debut with the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday night, scoring 24 points in an atmosphere he called "electric," but King James' thunder got blown away late by a multiplayer brawl, reports CBS News . With four minutes left to play in a hard-fought game...
LeBron Speaks on
Nike Kaepernick Campaign
Sep 5, 2018 3:41 AM CDT
LeBron Speaks on Nike Kaepernick Campaign
'I stand with Nike, all day, every day'
- Clutching his young daughter in his arms, LeBron James said on Tuesday that he "stands with Nike," a clear reference to the company's Colin Kaepernick ad campaign . The basketball superstar—and new Los Angeles Laker —made the remarks as he received an award Tuesday for both...
LeBron Signs $154M
Deal to Leave Cleveland
Jul 2, 2018 12:16 AM CDT
LeBron Signs $154M Deal to Leave Cleveland
The legend is now a Laker
- Cavs fans were right to be worried : LeBron James is taking his formidable talent to Los Angeles, where he has signed a four-year, $154 million deal with the Lakers. James, who played in Cleveland from 2003 to 2010 and returned in 2014 after a stint with the Miami Heat, thanked...
Apr 14, 2016 2:47 AM CDT
Kobe Bryant Ends His NBA Career in Style
He scored an amazing 60 points in final game
- Kobe Bryant went out with a Hollywood ending to his remarkable career. Bryant scored 60 points in his final game Wednesday night, wrapping up 20 years in the NBA with an unbelievable offensive showcase in the Los Angeles Lakers' 101-96 victory over the Utah Jazz, the AP reports. He scored...
Kobe Bryant's Last Game Is
Setting Ticket-Price Records
Apr 12, 2016 2:22 PM CDT
Kobe Bryant's Last Game Is Setting Ticket-Price Records
It could cost up to $28K to see the Black Mamba one last time
- After 20 years and more than 1,300 career games, NBA great Kobe Bryant will suit up one last time for the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday, 24/7 Wall St. reports. And according to
, that's making a meaningless matchup with the Utah Jazz possibly the most expensive...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Late Surge May Make This the 'Emoji of the Year'
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Iran Wants US Team Suspended After Intentional Altering of Flag
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.