Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Murdered
Own Sister Freed
on Parents' Pardon
Feb 16, 2022 2:17 AM CST
Man Who Murdered Own Sister Freed on Parents' Pardon
Model Qandeel Baloch fell victim to 'honor killing'
The parents of the Pakistani man who fatally strangled his own sister in a 2016 "honor killing" have pardoned the man. Muhammed Waseem confessed to the slaying and was convicted of murder, but a court ruled Monday he can be freed due to his parents' pardon,
Brooke Shields Blasts
Barbara Walters for
Dec 7, 2021 7:33 AM CST
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Actress says chat with TV journalist over CK ad, when Shields was 15, was 'practically criminal'
- In an October interview with
, Brooke Shields spoke about the famous Calvin Klein jeans ad she'd made in 1980, when she was 15, and how she hadn't at the time realized how sexual in nature it was widely interpreted as. (Her famous line: "You want to...
Emhoff Just Hit
Jan 29, 2021 11:55 AM CST
VP Stepdaughter Emhoff Just Hit Modeling Gold
Emma Emhoff, daughter of Doug Emhoff, has been signed by IMG Models after inauguration coat hit
- In the days following President Biden's inauguration earlier this month, a talent agency has hit the jackpot. First IMG Models signed Amanda Gorman , the 22-year-old National Youth Poet Laureate who read her poem "The Hill We Climb" on Jan. 20. Now, the agency has tapped another "inauguration...
Till Age 18
Oct 27, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Emily Ratajkowski Won't 'Know' Baby's Gender Till Age 18
Supermodel announces pregnancy, says she won't impose an identity on her soon-to-arrive child
- Emily Ratajkowski's "pumpkin spice" hair is making headlines , but that isn't the biggest news of the week for her. In an essay for
, the 29-year-old supermodel reveals she's pregnant, but if you're tempted to ask if she's having a boy or a girl,...
Jul 11, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Valentina Sampaio Makes History
Valentina Sampaio is the first trans model to appear in SI's exclusive swimsuit edition
- Valentina Sampaio has smashed yet another barrier. The 23-year-old beauty is now the first transgender model to appear in
's swimsuit issue,
reports. "I was filled with so many emotions of happiness when I heard the news. The feeling was surreal," she tells
'I Felt Like I
Was in Hell':
An Exposé of
Feb 1, 2020 4:00 PM CST
'I Felt Like I Was in Hell': An Exposé of Victoria's Secret
The New York Times interviews 50 company insiders about a 'toxic' culture
- Victoria's Secret has "Angels," but there was a devil too—and his name was Ed Razek. That's according to a
New York Times
article based on interviews with over 50 company insiders, who describe an established culture of harassment, bullying, and misogyny at the lingerie company....
Model Wasn't Happy
With the Clothes,
Sep 23, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Model Wasn't Happy With the Clothes, Protested While Modeling Them
'Mental health is not fashion' was written on Ayesha Tan Jones' hands
- Ayesha Tan Jones walked in Gucci's Spring/Summer 2020 show at Milan Fashion Week—but they did so while protesting the very clothing they were wearing. The models were all wearing white straitjacket-like garments and similar outfits, and as Tan Jones walked the runway, they held up their hands to...
History-Making Tyra Banks
Is Back for the Swimsuit Issue
May 8, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
History-Making Tyra Banks Is Back for the Swimsuit Issue
She was the first black woman ever to be featured on the cover alone
- More than two decades after Tyra Banks made history as the first black woman to appear solo on the cover of the
Swimsuit issue , she's back on the cover for her third appearance,
reports. The 45-year-old came out of modeling retirement to shoot the cover. Inside...
Model Dies After
Collapsing on Catwalk
Apr 29, 2019 4:02 AM CDT
Model Dies After Collapsing on Catwalk
Tales Soares was 26
- A model participating in Sao Paulo's Fashion Week has died after getting sick and falling on the catwalk. A statement from organizers said Tales Soares took ill Saturday while in a parade of fashion brand Ocksa. A medical team attended to him on the catwalk and Soares was later...
Next Up From
Feb 6, 2019 2:49 PM CST
Next Up From Tyra Banks: ModelLand, the Theme Park
It's opening in Santa Monica this year
- Some theme parks have boardwalks; one coming to California will have catwalks. The attraction, set to debut at the Santa Monica Place open-air shopping mall later this year, will be called ModelLand , and it's the brainchild of Tyra Banks, herself a former supermodel and
America's Next Top Model
Death May Not
Aug 4, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
'Zombie Boy' Death May Not Have Been a Suicide
Family thinks Rick Genest leaned too far back on a balcony while smoking a cigarette
- His death Wednesday was widely reported to be a suicide , including by Lady Gaga , whose music video "Born This Way" helped make his tattooed face famous. But the family and manager of model Rick Genest, aka "Zombie Boy," are telling everyone to pull back on the conclusion...
Model on the Defense After
May 4, 2018 7:59 AM CDT
Model on the Defense After 'Unrecognizable'
Gigi Hadid says photo shoot 'was not executed correctly' after she's accused of donning 'blackface'
- It's expected models will adopt varying looks during different photo shoots, but Gigi Hadid's cover for the May issue of
is raising more eyebrows than champagne glasses. Per the BBC , the 23-year-old was photographed by Steven Klein. She's shown on the cover (see it here...
Rookie Model Nabs
Swimsuit Issue Cover
Feb 13, 2018 8:41 AM CST
Rookie Model Nabs
Swimsuit Issue Cover
Danielle Herrington, 24, is also the 3rd black woman to grace Swimsuit Issue's cover
- Danielle Herrington is the
Swimsuit Issue cover model for 2018. The magazine revealed its swimsuit edition cover Tuesday. Herrington is the third black woman to appear on the cover of the annual issue that launched in 1964, the AP reports. Beyonce appeared on the cover in 2007, while...
Model Says Her Legs Are
Getting Her Rape Threats
Oct 7, 2017 4:02 PM CDT
Model Says Her Legs Are Getting Her Rape Threats
Arvida Byström poses for Adidas ad with unshaved legs
- A Swedish model says she's faced an onslaught of online harassment after daring to pose for an Adidas advertising campaign with unshaved legs, the BBC reports. "Literally I've been getting rape threats in my DM inbox," 26-year-old Arvida Byström writes on Instagram . The ad for...
Fashion Shoot Goes On for
Hours Despite Dead Man
Dec 23, 2016 12:54 PM CST
Fashion Shoot Goes On for Hours Despite Dead Man
Models, photographers found dead man in warehouse but kept on working
- A group of young Brits who broke into a Manchester warehouse over the summer to do a fashion shoot are now being decried not for the break-in, but for the dead body they worked around, the
Manchester Evening News
report. A Manchester coroner's court heard the...
Black Model's Campaign
Strikes a Chord
Dec 15, 2016 12:09 PM CST
Black Model's Campaign Strikes a Chord
Deddeh Howard subs herself in to ads with white models, to make a point
- Deddeh Howard was flipping through a magazine looking for ideas for her fashion blog when she noticed "there were simply no black models in there," she tells Mic . It didn't come as much of a surprise given that Howard, 27, had been rejected by modeling agencies claiming...
At Fashion Show, the
Jun 22, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
At Fashion Show, the Hottest Accessory Was Pimples
Moto Guo's spring 2017 collection is titled 'Picnic in the Society'
- Malaysian fashion designer Moto Guo appears to be making some sort of statement about pimples, but exactly what, and whether they may actually now be fashionable, remains unclear.
reports that in his Milan Men's Fashion Week debut on Monday, Guo's makeup artists created blemishes on his models'...
Apr 7, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
UK Bans Ad Over Too-Skinny Model
Ban came about after a single complaint
- If anyone has doubts that the United Kingdom's Advertising Standards Authority reads its complaint mail, this should put that to rest. Per Fashionista , a lone detractor submitted a grievance to the British ad watchdog about a Gucci ad campaign, and now it's banned in the UK—because of...
Models Now Need
a Doctor's Note
Dec 18, 2015 8:00 AM CST
In France, Models Now Need a Doctor's Note
Law aims to crack down on too-skinny models
- Models hoping to walk Paris' runways now need a doctor's note. French lawmakers passed a law on Thursday declaring models must obtain a medical certificate showing their body mass index is healthy and "compatible with the practice of the [modeling] profession" before working jobs. Those who break the...
One Stat Shows
Oct 18, 2015 6:39 AM CDT
One Stat Shows Fashion World's Race Problem
79% of models at Fashion Week were white
- The fashions that appear on the catwalks of New York, London, Milan, and Paris during the spring/summer fashion weeks come in an array of colors. The same can't exactly be said of the models that wear them. Data from 117 shows during this year's spring/summer fashion season finds...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.