Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 7, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Skating Body: No More 15-Year-Olds at Olympics
ISU will limit senior competitions to those 17 and older after 2024
- The International Skating Union won't allow another 15-year-old figure skater to compete at the Olympics following the doping controversy surrounding Russia's Kamila Valieva in Beijing. At its 58th Congress in Thailand on Tuesday, the ISU voted to limit senior competitions to skaters 16 and older for the 2023-24...
Top 10 Medal Counts
From Beijing Olympics
Feb 20, 2022 9:31 AM CST
Top 10 Medal Counts From Beijing Olympics
Norway is first, USA is fifth
- The Olympic flame has been extinguished in Beijing, per the AP . International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach officially closed the Games Sunday at the Bird's Nest stadium. It was the most locked-down Olympics ever, with participants restricted to a COVID-safe bubble where they took daily tests, wore masks, and...
to US Team Now
Feb 19, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Panel Rejects Awarding Medals to US Team Now
- Nine US figure skaters have been told they will leave Beijing without having their moment in a public medal ceremony and without the silver medals they won in the team competition. The holdup is the doping case against Kamila Valieva , a member of the Russian team that won the gold...
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice,
Coach Demanded Explanation
Feb 18, 2022 6:18 AM CST
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice, Coach Demanded Explanation
And more on the Russian skater's shocking free skate
- The first thing Kamila Valieva's coach said to her after the 15-year-old's disastrous free skate Thursday , which cost her a medal: "Why did you let it go?" Eteri Tutberidze could be heard asking Valieva during the live broadcast, as the teen stepped off the ice. "Why...
Eileen Gu Wins Gold,
Feb 17, 2022 11:14 PM CST
Eileen Gu Wins Gold, Makes History
The skier won women's halfpipe
- Even when Eileen Gu’s simply taking a celebratory stroll through the halfpipe, she’s still so stylish and makes it look so effortless. The 18-year-old American-born freestyle skier who represents China captured Olympic gold in the women’s halfpipe on a breezy and cold Friday morning to become the...
Skater in Doping Scandal
Has Disastrous Performance
Feb 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Skater in Doping Scandal Has Disastrous Performance
Russia's Kamila Valieva finishes in 4th in a stunner
- It might be the biggest surprise of the Beijing Olympics: Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping controversy , had a disastrous free skate on Thursday and finished out of medal contention in fourth place. "Stunning" is the word used by Christine Brennan of
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Feb 17, 2022 4:06 AM CST
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Canadian women's team reclaims Olympic gold in 3-2 win over Americans
- Canada’s Captain Clutch, Marie-Philip Poulin, delivered at the Olympics again. Poulin scored twice, including her third gold-medal clinching goal, and Canada reclaimed its place atop the women's hockey world by capping its run through the Beijing Games with a 3-2 win over the defending champion United States on...
Feb 16, 2022 6:56 AM CST
The Plot Thickens in Kamila Valieva Doping Saga
There were actually 3 substances found in her sample
- Not one, but three substances were found in Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's sample, according to documents the
New York Times
reviewed—plus someone who participated in the hearing that cleared the 15-year-old to compete. Valieva had actually listed the other two drugs, Hypoxen and L-carnitine, on her doping...
It's a Gold
and a Big
Feb 13, 2022 9:30 AM CST
It's a Gold Medal, and a Big Milestone
Erin Jackson is the first Black woman to win a speedskating medal at the Olympics
- Erin Jackson has become the first Black woman to win a speedskating medal at the Winter Olympics. And a gold one, at that. Jackson won the 500 meters Sunday with a time of 37.04 seconds, giving the American speedskating program its first medal of the Beijing Games and first...
After a Record-Shattering
Short Program, a Near-Perfect
Free Skate—and Gold
Feb 10, 2022 12:17 AM CST
After a Record-Shattering Short Program, a Near-Perfect Free Skate—and Gold
Nathan Chen of the US wins gold at Beijing Olympics
- Nathan Chen completed his four-year journey toward an elusive Olympic gold medal Thursday, following his record short program at the Beijing Games with a near-perfect free skate that earned him a standing ovation from supporters inside historic Capital Indoor Stadium, the AP reports. The 22-year-old star landed all five of...
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays
Skaters' Medals: Reports
Feb 9, 2022 7:45 PM CST
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays Skaters' Medals: Reports
Russian newspapers say Kamila Valieva, 15, tested positive for banned heart drug
This file has been updated with reports of a positive drug test on the Russian team.
The winners in the team figure-skating competition at the Beijing Olympics still haven't received their medals two days later because of what the International Olympic Committee said are "legal issues."...
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,'
Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Feb 9, 2022 6:51 AM CST
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,' Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Lindsey Jacobellis brings home first gold for US at Winter Games in Beijing
- It took 16 years and five Olympic appearances, but Lindsey Jacobellis finally has her gold medal. NBC News reports that the world-champion snowboarder, who first competed in the Games in 2006 in Turin, took top honors Wednesday in the women's snowboard cross, earning the US its first gold at...
Feb 9, 2022 12:14 AM CST
Nathan Chen Delivers Incredible, Record-Shattering Short Program
US figure skater scores 113.97 points
- Nathan Chen had just shattered the world record for a figure skating short program, even throwing a defiant fist in a rare display of emotion, when he was asked how he'd spend the next 48 hours before his long-awaited Olympic coronation. “I've been here a while,”...
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic
Commentary Can Continue
Feb 8, 2022 9:07 AM CST
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic Commentary Can Continue
Network says it resolved third-party error causing comedian's videos to be blocked
NBC says Leslie Jones can continue sharing her colorful Olympics commentary after a "third-party error" caused her videos to be blocked. "We have resolved the situation. She is free to do her social media posts as she has done in the past," a rep says, per...
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
On Olympic Ice,
a Huge First
Feb 7, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On Olympic Ice, a Huge First
Russia's Kamila Valieva, 15, is first woman ever to land quad at Olympics
- "HISTORY MADE!" was NBC's excited tweet after a young Olympic figure skater from Russia landed a quadruple jump in Beijing during the women's team free-skate program.
reports that Kamila Valieva, 15, pulled off both a quad salchow (watch her do it here ) and...
She's the First American
Medalist at Beijing Games
Feb 6, 2022 5:30 AM CST
She's the First American Medalist at Beijing Games
Julia Marino wins silver in snowboarding
- Snowboarder Julia Marino has won America's first medal at the Beijing Winter Olympics. Marino took the silver in slopestyle snowboarding, reports
. "There's so much emotions," the 24-year-old from Westport, Connecticut, said afterward, per ESPN . "It's pure excitement and happiness." (Watch her...
Beijing Olympics Begin,
Minus Western Diplomats
Feb 4, 2022 6:49 AM CST
Beijing Olympics Begin, Minus Western Diplomats
There's a huge contrast between now and the start of the 2008 Games
- The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics kicked off Friday with an opening ceremony in the Bird's Nest stadium, making China's capital the first city to host both summer and winter Olympics. But in the 14 years between the Games, much has changed, the AP reports. Hopes that 2008 marked...
Ties With China
Feb 4, 2022 4:13 AM CST
Putin Praises 'Unprecedented' Ties With China
He hails 'dignified relations' hours before Olympics begin
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday praised "unprecedented" close relations with China, as he met with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing hours ahead of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony. The two leaders are looking to project themselves as a counterweight to the US and its allies, as...
Feb 2, 2022 1:31 PM CST
This Olympian Will Represent His Country Alone
Arif Khan, 31, is sole athlete from India
- The US is sending 222 athletes to the 2022 Winter Olympics. India is sending just one. NPR reports 31-year-old skier Arif Khan arrived in Beijing on Tuesday and is scheduled to compete in the slalom and giant slalom events later this week. As long as he manages to stay COVID-free,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.