Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
China Warns Athletes Against
Speaking Out at Olympics
Jan 19, 2022 7:10 PM CST
China Warns Athletes Against Speaking Out at Olympics
'Certain punishment' awaits, official says
- The Winter Olympics in Beijing kick off in a little over two weeks—and China has issued a stern warning to athletes who might be thinking about supporting calls to free Tibet or liberate Hong Kong. Yang Shu, deputy director general of international relations for the Beijing Organizing Committee, said...
N. Korea Skipping Olympics
'Due to Hostile Forces'
Jan 7, 2022 5:57 AM CST
N. Korea Skipping Olympics 'Due to Hostile Forces'
Pyongyang also cited the pandemic
- North Korea on Friday said it would skip next month’s Beijing Olympics because of the COVID-19 pandemic and "hostile forces' moves," a largely redundant statement since the country has already been banned from the Games by the IOC. In September, the International Olympic Committee suspended North Korea...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
NHL Confirms Players
Won't Be Going to Olympics
Dec 22, 2021 5:30 PM CST
NHL Confirms Players Won't Be Going to Olympics
COVID disruptions mean going to Beijing is now unfeasible, commissioner says
: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed Wednesday that players would not be allowed to participate in the Beijing Olympics, making official what seemed inevitable in recent days when a rash of positive COVID-19 test results caused several teams to shut down, the AP reports. The league will use the previously...
of Beijing Games
Dec 6, 2021 1:47 PM CST
US Confirms Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing Games
White House cites 'ongoing genocide' in Xinjiang
- The US government will protest China's human rights abuses with a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics, meaning American athletes will go to Beijing but President Biden and other officials will stay away, White House press secretary Jen Psaki confirmed Monday. The Biden administration will not be sending...
Report: US Officials
to Turn Their Backs
on Winter Olympics
Nov 17, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Report: US Officials to Turn Their Backs on Winter Olympics
Sources say diplomatic boycott of Beijing Games has been formally recommended to Biden
- The Biden administration is likely planning a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics in February in response to human rights abuses in China, according to a report. Several sources tell
columnist Josh Rogin that a formal recommendation has been made to President Biden that the US refrain from...
Winter Games Won't
Have Foreign Fans
Sep 29, 2021 5:07 PM CDT
Winter Games Won't Have Foreign Fans
Beijing athletes will live and compete in a bubble
- The International Olympic Committee has revealed the first of its planned measures against COVID-19 at the upcoming Winter Games in Beijing, and they're at least as restrictive as the rules were for the summer competition. Again, the prohibition against foreign spectators will apply to athletes' friends and relatives,
Calgary Residents on 2026
Olympics: That's a Hard No
Nov 14, 2018 7:21 AM CST
Calgary Residents on 2026 Olympics: That's a Hard No
Vote was nonbinding, but it looks like city's bid will be nixed
- "Does Calgary really want the Winter Olympics? Does anyone?" That's the question posed by the
New York Times
on Monday, and it looks like the first question has just been answered. The AP reports that, in a nonbinding referendum held Tuesday, 56% of voters (more than 170,000...
Olympics Ratings Are
Feb 25, 2018 10:48 AM CST
Olympics Ratings Are Significantly Down
And that could be bad news for NBC
- Was NBC's $12 billion investment in the Olympics a good idea? Based on the ratings from the Pyeongchang games, it's not clear. Viewership in the coveted 18-49 demographic is down 24% compared to the winter games in Sochi four years ago, CNN reports, though NBC points out it'...
Games Are Closed
Feb 25, 2018 7:25 AM CST
Pyeongchang Games Are Closed
Olympic flag has passed to Beijing after a very political Winter Olympics
- The president of the International Olympic Committee has declared the Pyeongchang Games closed, reports the AP , marking the end of this year's Winter Olympics. Thomas Bach made the declaration during closing ceremonies held before tens of thousands on the eastern end of the Korean Peninsula. As part of the...
S. Korea: N. Korea
Willing to Talk to US
Feb 25, 2018 6:07 AM CST
S. Korea: N. Korea Willing to Talk to US
Unlikely announcement amid Winter Olympics' closing ceremonies
- The South Korean president's office says a North Korean delegate to the Olympics has said Pyongyang is willing to hold talks with the US, reports the AP . The Blue House, South Korea's presidential office, reported the news during the games' closing ceremony. The North has "ample intentions...
US Medal Haul Is
Well Below Expectations
Feb 23, 2018 7:02 AM CST
US Medal Haul Is Well Below Expectations
But US Curling 'rejects' have a shot at gold
- Bad news for Russian hopes of marching under their own flag: The BBC reports that the Russian Bobsleigh Federation says Nadezhda Sergeeva, 30, has tested positive for a banned heart drug. Sergeeva, the second Russian to test positive for a banned substance, placed 12th in the two-woman bobsleigh event on...
Skater Nearly Booted for
Slacking Off Wins Gold
Feb 23, 2018 12:45 AM CST
Skater Nearly Booted for Slacking Off Wins Gold
Alina Zagitova finished ahead of compatriot, 18
- A few years back, Alina Zagitova nearly was sent home from training for not working hard enough. Now, she heads home with Olympic gold, the first for the Russians at the Pyeongchang Olympics. A grateful nation—upset that their flag, anthem, and dozens of athletes were banned from the games...
Her Other Goal
in South Korea
Feb 22, 2018 2:08 PM CST
Vonn Completes Her Other Goal in South Korea
She scattered some of her grandpa's ashes near the downhill ski course
- Lindsey Vonn came to South Korea with the goal of taking home an Olympic medal and leaving something even more special behind. She did both. The American ski great said Thursday she recently scattered some of the ashes of her grandfather, who served during the Korean War, on a rock...
Vonn Fails to Finish
Final Olympic Race
Feb 22, 2018 7:08 AM CST
Vonn Fails to Finish Final Olympic Race
Mikaela Shiffrin won the silver in same race
- The slalom portion of the women's Alpine combined was the last race of American star Lindsay Vonn's Olympic career—but the medal went to teammate Mikaela Shiffrin. The 22-year-old won silver after Vonn went off course just 10 seconds into her slalom on Thursday, the AP reports. This...
US Wins First Hockey Gold
in 20 Years
Feb 22, 2018 6:17 AM CST
US Wins First Hockey Gold in 20 Years
USA women beat Canada in tiebreaker shootout
- The United States has beaten Canada in a shootout to win their first Olympic gold since 1998 in women's hockey. Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scored in the first extra round of the first shootout tiebreaker in Olympic women's hockey history on Thursday to give the United States the gold medal...
US Women Pull Off
Major Olympic Upset
Feb 21, 2018 6:50 AM CST
US Women Pull Off Major Olympic Upset
Lindsay Vonn takes bronze in final Olympic downhill
- The American women's cross-country ski team pulled off a major upset in Pyeongchang Wednesday, winning gold in the team sprint—the first-ever medal for the US women's team. The only other American to win a cross-country ski medal was Bill Koch, who won silver in the 30-kilometer race...
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising
Eyebrows at the Olympics
Feb 20, 2018 12:22 PM CST
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising Eyebrows at the Olympics
Elizabeth Swaney didn't do any tricks on her halfpipe run, deliberately
- On the surface, there's nothing at all ordinary or subpar about a 33-year-old Berkeley and Harvard grad who's competing with the best of the best at the Olympics. Yet Elizabeth Swaney has caused a hubbub in Pyeongchang, after turning in what Digg labels a "hilariously mediocre" ski...
Speedskater for N. Korea
Has a Really Rough Race
Feb 20, 2018 11:10 AM CST
Speedskater for N. Korea Has a Really Rough Race
Jong Kwang Bom crashes—twice
- In his defense, Jong Kwang Bom is only 17 and "clearly" had no business lining up to race as an Olympic speedskater for North Korea, per a post at
. But race he did, and things did not end well. Jong fell almost immediately after the start of...
'Greatest Ice Dancers
Ever' Take Olympic Gold
Feb 20, 2018 6:21 AM CST
'Greatest Ice Dancers Ever' Take Olympic Gold
French team that suffered malfunction was a close second
- American siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani have a bronze medal to be proud of, France's Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron broke the record for the highest free-dance score, but Olympic ice dancing gold went to Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir on Tuesday,
reports. The pair, who...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
Musk Does What He Said He Wouldn't
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.