Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zoo Officials Fear Worst
for Missing Wallaby Joey
May 10, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Zoo Officials Fear Worst for Missing Wallaby Joey
The missing joey is barely old enough to be outside its mother's pouch
- Officials at the Detroit Zoo are clinging to the last shreds of hope that they will find a wallaby joey, which vanished from the Australian Outback Adventure habitat sometime between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, according to MLive . The five-month-old joey, named Sprocket, was about the size of a baby...
Fox Kills 25 Flamingos
at Smithsonian Zoo
May 3, 2022 5:58 PM CDT
Fox Kills 25 Flamingos at Smithsonian Zoo
- The Smithsonian National Zoo says it is "devastated" after a fox made its way into the outdoor flamingo habitat and killed 26 birds—25 flamingos and one pintail duck. Zoo officials say workers spotted the dead birds Monday morning and saw a wild fox in the enclosure, the
For Anteater in Tennessee
Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Apr 15, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
For Anteater in Tennessee Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Rabies has never been seen in this species before; anteater may have brought it from Va. to Tenn.
- A rabies variant not usually seen in Tennessee apparently found its way there via Virginia, and a captive anteater is getting the blame. A CDC report published Friday cites the case of a particular southern tamandua, aka lesser anteater (even fancier name:
), that may have exposed more than...
Ex-Zoo CEO: I Did Nothing
Wrong, Here Is $400K Back
Mar 14, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Ex-Zoo CEO: I Did Nothing Wrong, Here Is $400K Back
Thomas Stalf agrees to return $400K to Columbus Zoo; lawyer says he's a scapegoat
- A former chief executive officer has agreed to repay hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium after audits concluded that improper spending and questionable business practices cost the institution more than $630,000, per the AP . The zoo's board of directors announced approval of a...
Report Clears Zoo
in Tiger's Attack, Death
Feb 3, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Report Clears Zoo in Tiger's Attack, Death
Florida man survived, but the animal didn't
: A zoo in Naples, Florida, is not to blame for a tiger's attack that ended with the animal shot to death, a state investigation has found. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said that River Rosenquist, 26, ignored clear signs and barriers to reach into the tiger'...
Zoo Hippos Test
Positive for COVID
Dec 6, 2021 1:21 PM CST
Zoo Hippos Test Positive for COVID
Zoo says only symptom was 'expelling snot'
- Add hippos to the list of animals that can be infected with the coronavirus. In what zookeepers believe is a world first, two hippos at a zoo in Belgium tested positive for COVID-19 after workers noticed they had runny noses, the
reports. Keepers say that apart from "...
3 Star Attractions of
Children's Zoo Fall to COVID
Nov 15, 2021 8:32 AM CST
3 Star Attractions of Children's Zoo Fall to COVID
Nebraska zoo announces deaths of trio of snow leopards
- Big cats at zoos have contracted COVID during the pandemic previously, but this time the cases were fatal. The Lincoln Children's Zoo in Nebraska says the snow leopards Ranney, Everest, and Makaly have died after testing positive last month, reports CBS News . The cats were star attractions at the...
at Bronx Zoo
Been Her 2nd
Nov 12, 2021 4:15 PM CST
Woman's Stunt at Bronx Zoo May Have Been Her 2nd
Police are seeking trespasser who climbed over barrier at lion exhibit, much like incident in 2019
- An incident at the Bronx Zoo this week was reminiscent of one that took place about two years ago in the same spot—and it looks like it may have been a stunt pulled off by the same perpetrator. NBC News reports that at around 4pm on Thursday, a blonde...
Sep 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
World's Oldest Male Gorilla Has COVID
A dozen others in addition to Ozzie have also tested positive at Zoo Atlanta
- The coronavirus has overtaken more than a dozen gorillas at Zoo Atlanta, officials say, including the oldest male gorilla in the world. The
reports that Ozzie —a 60-year-old, 350-pound silverback who's sired 12 gorillas at the zoo and is said to be a "terrific father"...
on Panda Birth:
'I Was Relieved,'
Jun 23, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Zoo Director on Panda Birth: 'I Was Relieved,' Then 'Shocked'
Japan's Ueno Zoo welcomes its first twin panda cubs
- Japan's oldest zoo was one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country before closing for five months due to the pandemic. Shortly after reopening, it's suddenly even more attractive. In a surprise, a giant panda at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo gave birth to twins early Wednesday....
Zoo Loses Chimpanzee, 63
Jun 7, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Zoo Loses Chimpanzee, 63
Cobby had been at the San Francisco Zoo since the 1960s
- Cobby, 63, who was "part of San Francisco" and the oldest male chimpanzee in an accredited US zoo, has died. The San Francisco Zoo & Gardens said in a statement that cause of death was not known, though officials cited old age. Cobby had been ill, the
Spider Monkey Exhibit,
May 25, 2021 3:44 PM CDT
Woman Invades Spider Monkey Exhibit, Gets Fired
Law firm calls El Paso Zoo stunt 'irresponsible and reckless'
- A law firm in Texas has decided it doesn't want to be associated with a woman who was seen climbing into the monkey enclosure at El Paso Zoo and trying to feed the spider monkeys. Lovett Law Firm says the woman was fired Monday after they found out she...
Animal Activists Lose Battle As
Whales Arrive to Aquarium
May 16, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Animal Activists Lose Battle As Whales Arrive to Aquarium
Five Belugas made a day-long trek from Canada to Connecticut
- Five Beluga whales have arrived at their new home in a Connecticut aquarium after a years-long legal battle to import them and two others from Canada. The first three animals were flown from Ontario to Connecticut on Friday, per the AP . They arrived in Mystic on three tractor-trailers, where they...
to Retire After
Apr 7, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
Jack Hanna to Retire After Diagnosis
Wildlife expert and conservation advocate has dementia, family says
- Jack Hanna—a wildlife expert, conservation advocate, and TV personality—is stepping out of public view. "Doctors have diagnosed our dad, Jack Hanna, with dementia, now believed to be Alzheimer's disease," his daughters posted on Twitter . His condition has deteriorated quickly in the past few months, the...
1.2M Watched Her Give Birth.
Now, a Farewell to April
Apr 3, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
1.2M Watched Her Give Birth. Now, a Farewell to April
Giraffe at upstate NY zoo is euthanized due to advancing arthritis
- April, the giraffe that became a sensation when a rural New York zoo livestreamed her 2017 pregnancy and delivery, was euthanized Friday because of advancing arthritis, the zoo said. "She is a precious member of our family, and while we knew this day would eventually come, our hearts are...
They Put Out the
Fire at the Zoo.
Then, a Tragic Find
Mar 9, 2021 8:13 AM CST
They Put Out the Fire at the Zoo. Then, a Tragic Find
2 giraffes, including one named Waffles, killed during blaze at Roer's Zoofari in Reston, Va.
- Two giraffes were found dead Monday evening after firefighters battled a blaze at a Virginia zoo, officials said. A two-story barn at Roer's Zoofari caught fire around 5:30pm Monday night, news outlets reported, via the AP . The two giraffes were found after the fire was extinguished. Fairfax County...
Polar Bear Mating
Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
Feb 9, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Polar Bear Mating Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
'This was completely unexpected'
- Workers at the Detroit Zoo say they're in shock after the death of Anana, a female polar bear killed by a male during an attempt to breed on Monday. The zoo says Anana, a 20-year-old bear who came to the zoo last year, lived with 16-year-old male Nuka for...
Jan 18, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Tragedy Follows Long-Awaited Zoo Birth
Nashville zoo says mother giraffe accidentally stepped on newborn's neck
- Nashville Zoo says keepers will be giving giraffe Nasha "an abundance of comfort and care for the next few days" after the tragic death of her newborn. After a 15-month pregnancy and a birth watched by thousands Saturday on the "Baby Giraffe Cam," the infant giraffe died...
Dec 12, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Snow Leopards Started Wheezing, Coughing. Now, Confirmation
At Lousville Zoo in Kentucky, 3 big cats test positive for COVID
- Three snow leopards in a Kentucky zoo have come down with COVID-19, making it the latest type of animal to get sick after coming into close contact with humans. Per a filmed statement from Louisville Zoo Director John Walczak and a written statement from the zoo, zoo staff noticed within...
This Time It's
Dec 11, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cher's Rescue Tour Continues. This Time It's a Gorilla
Star is begging for help to rehome Thailand's only gorilla from a department store zoo
- If you're thinking a department store zoo doesn't sound like a great place for a gorilla, Cher agrees. The singer, fresh off of her Pakistan trip to rescue the "world's loneliest elephant," is now making a plea to Thailand to free the country's last...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
US Sues Steve Wynn, Says Casino Mogul Is Agent of China
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.