Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mother's Day Flowers
Had Quite the Surprise
May 11, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Catholic School's Mother's Day Flowers Had Quite the Surprise
Lingerie was stuffed inside artificial roses sold by Philly school
- Picking out the right Mother's Day gift "isn't very hard to get right," according to the
—pick up some flowers and you're good to go. Just maybe not the ones sold by St. Anselm School. The
reports that the pre-K through...
Ex-Cop Charged With
Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
May 2, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Charged With Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
DA says Edsaul Mendoza shot TJ Siderio in the back at near-point blank range
: A former Philadelphia police officer who was fired after the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old in March has been charged with murder. Prosecutors say the shot that killed Thomas "TJ" Siderio was fired from near-point blank range while the boy was unarmed and "essentially face down on...
This City's 'Historic
Deluge' of Abandoned
Cars Has No Fix in Sight
Apr 25, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
This City's 'Historic Deluge' of Abandoned Cars Has No Fix in Sight
Included in backlog of 34K vehicle complaints in Philly: speedboats, campaign van, Tastykake trucks
- The city of Philadelphia is more than happy to offer info on how residents can file a report on abandoned cars in the metro area. "Glad you asked!" reads the city's page devoted to "one of our most frequently submitted service requests." And they're...
on Mask Mandate
Apr 21, 2022 10:23 PM CDT
Philadelphia Does Abrupt About-Face on Mask Mandate
Drops it just days after it went into effect
Philadelphia is ending its indoor mask mandate, city health officials said Thursday night, abruptly reversing course just days after city residents had to start wearing masks again amid a sharp increase in infections. The Board of Health voted Thursday to rescind the mandate, according to the Philadelphia health department,...
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver
Who Later Killed Them: Report
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver Who Later Killed Them: Report
Driver suspected of DUI struck and killed 2 Pennsylvania troopers and a pedestrian, police say
- Two Pennsylvania troopers were helping a man on the side of a highway early Monday when a driver plowed into them, killing all three. In a shocking twist, Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden Sisca, 29, had initially pulled over the female driver on suspicion of driving under the...
Cops: Boy's Lighter
Ignited Christmas Tree
in Devastating Fire
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Cops: Boy's Lighter Ignited Christmas Tree in Devastating Fire
Police can now say with 'near certainty' that's the cause of blaze that killed 12
Police say with "near certainty" that it was a 5-year-old playing with a lighter near a Christmas tree that ignited the devastating Philadelphia blaze that left 12 people dead. The child, whom police describe as "traumatized," was the only person on the second story of the...
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle'
After Medical Chopper Crashes
Jan 11, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle' After Medical Chopper Crashes
4 people, including infant patient, escaped crash in suburban Philadelphia
- A medical helicopter crashed Tuesday in a residential area of suburban Philadelphia with four people on board, including an infant—and are all expected to survive, authorities say. Rescue crews rushed to the crash near a church at an intersection in Upper Darby’s Drexel Hill neighborhood at about 1pm...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
'This Is Probably One of the
Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
Jan 5, 2022 10:09 AM CST
'This Is Probably One of the Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
'Heavy fire' kills 13 in Philadelphia home
- At least 13 people are dead, seven of them children, in a Philadelphia house fire that Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy described as among the worst he has witnessed. "It was terrible," said Murphy, per CNN . "I've been around for 30, 35 years now, and this...
5 Arrests Made
in Carjacking of
Dec 23, 2021 5:49 AM CST
5 Arrests Made in Carjacking of House Democrat
Police says suspects were found in Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon's stolen vehicle
: Police say five arrests have been made in connection with the carjacking of a House Democrat in Philadelphia Wednesday. Delaware State Police said in a statement that the suspects were taken into custody around 9pm after they were found in Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon's stolen 2017 Acura MDX...
Birth of Baby Takes
Tesla Owners for Ride
Dec 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Birth of Baby Takes Tesla Owners for Ride
Mom delivered in Tesla on autopilot
- A Pennsylvania woman and her husband knew their new baby was coming soon when she went into labor in September, but they didn't know how soon. Nor did Keating and Yiran Sherry know that they wouldn't even make it to the hospital before little Maeve was born. Per...
These US Cities Have the
Most, Least Holiday Spirit
Dec 15, 2021 9:30 AM CST
These US Cities Have the Most, Least Holiday Spirit
New York City is the most festive of all, while Enterprise, Nev., is a bit of a Grinch
- With 2022 almost upon us, it's the time of year when we wind down and kick back, which often includes a fair bit of festivities. LawnStarter wanted to know which places boast the most spirit of the season, so the site looked at the 200 largest cities in the...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading
Gifts From Her Baby Shower
Nov 22, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading Gifts From Her Baby Shower
7-months-pregnant Jessica Covington ambushed during 'heinous crime' in Philly
- A mom-to-be's weekend celebration ended in tragedy after she was fatally gunned down in Philadelphia. According to the city's police department, the seven-months-pregnant woman—IDed by sources as Jessica Covington, 32, per CBS Philly —was outside her home around 8:30pm Saturday, unloading gifts out of her...
Philly First Major US City to
Ban Minor Traffic Stops
Oct 31, 2021 3:47 PM CDT
Philly First Major US City to Ban Minor Traffic Stops
Move to promote equality, make public and police feel safer
- Police in Philadelphia will no longer pull cars over for minor traffic infractions. The bill, which passed Oct. 14 and is expected to be signed into law soon by Mayor Jim Kenney, is designed to end pretextual stops and stick to stopping cars only when public safety requires it. Minor...
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent
Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Oct 28, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Family of Fanta Bility files federal lawsuit against Philadelphia police
The family of an 8-year-old girl fatally shot by police outside a high school football game in Philadelphia allege unreasonable and excessive force in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday. Gunfire erupted during an altercation between young men after the Aug. 27 game in Sharon Hill, CNN reports. Three police...
Parents: Daughter Stabbed
20 Times Didn't Kill Herself
Oct 27, 2021 12:08 PM CDT
Parents: Daughter Stabbed 20 Times Didn't Kill Herself
After filing suit 2 years ago, Ellen Greenberg's parents can take their case to trial
- Ellen Greenberg died more than a decade ago, but her parents still aren't content with the determination of how—so much so that they sued the Philadelphia medical examiner’s office. The
recaps the case thus far, starting with the 27-year-old's Jan. 26, 2011, death. The...
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape
Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Oct 22, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Cops had said passengers on SEPTA train near Philly recorded assault instead of intervening
- The story of a horrific rape last week aboard a SEPTA train on the outskirts of Philly seemed to get even worse when cops revealed that bystanders sat by and did nothing to help, instead holding up their phones to record the incident. Now, Delaware County's chief prosecutor says...
Cops: Passengers Had Phones
Up, May Have Filmed Rape
Oct 19, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Cops: Passengers Had Phones Up, May Have Filmed Rape
None of the witnesses to the attack called 911
Police say other passengers on a SEPTA train where a woman was raped last Wednesday not only witnessed the crime, they may have filmed it. Police say some passengers pointed their smartphones at the ongoing assault. Nobody called 911, and the attack only ended when a Transit Police employee...
Judge: It's Time
to Take Statue
Out of the Box
Oct 9, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Judge: It's Time to Take Statue Out of the Box
Controversial Columbus statue has been hidden behind plywood since June 2020
- The Philadelphia city government is fine with leaving Christopher Columbus right where he is, which is in a box in Marconi Plaza. A judge issued an order Friday that the box around the controversial statue be removed. Judge Paula Patrick said that a clear structure should be put around the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.