Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Who Dragged Man Out
of Car by Hair Exonerated
Jan 13, 2022 6:50 AM CST
Cops Who Dragged Man Out of Car by Hair Exonerated
Dayton police officers did not violate policy, internal probe finds
The two Dayton, Ohio, police officers who pulled a paraplegic man out of his car by his dreadlocks last year did not violate department policies in doing so, an internal probe found. Officers Wayne Hammock and Vincent Carter were exonerated in the Dayton Police Department’s Professional Standards Bureau'...
He Poured Hand
Sanitizer on Himself.
Then a Cop Tased Him
Jan 8, 2022 9:00 AM CST
He Poured Hand Sanitizer on Himself. Then a Cop Tased Him
NY AG investigating incident in Catskill, NY, after Jason Jones burst into flames; he died last month
- Graphic video made public Friday shows a man who doused himself in hand sanitizer bursting into flames when a police officer used a stun gun on him at a New York police station in October. Security footage released by the state attorney general's office shows Jason Jones, 29, rolling...
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for
Her Life Before Being Murdered
Jan 5, 2022 1:30 PM CST
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for Her Life Before Being Murdered
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic is dead, Officer Tyler Bailey is fighting for his life
- Two Illinois police officers responded to a report of dogs barking in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Bradley. It was a call that left Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic begging for her life before being killed with her own gun, say prosecutors, who are asking federal...
2 Suspects in Custody After
Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Jan 1, 2022 7:30 AM CST
2 Suspects in Custody After Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, had been responding to call about barking dogs in Ill.; partner critically hurt
- Two suspects in an Illinois motel shooting that left one Bradley police officer dead and another wounded are now in custody. WLS reports that Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, was shot and killed Wednesday night at a Kankakee County Comfort Inn, while her partner, 27-year-old Tyler Bailey, was left critically wounded....
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in
Motorized Scooter From Behind
Dec 1, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in Motorized Scooter From Behind
Police chief says Officer Ryan Remington will be fired
- The Tucson Police Department has swiftly distanced itself from an officer who shot dead a man in a motorized wheelchair. Police Chief Chris Magnus said on Tuesday he was "deeply disturbed and troubled" by what transpired on Monday night: Officer Ryan Remington responded to a report of a man...
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
NY State Trooper Indicted for
Murder of 11-Year-Old Girl
Oct 28, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
NY State Trooper Indicted for Murder of 11-Year-Old Girl
Family of Monica Goods says she was killed after high-speed chase by Christopher Baldner
- A week before she turned 12, Monica Goods was killed on the New York State Thruway last winter after her family's car flipped over and threw her from the vehicle. Now, a New York State Trooper has been charged with murder, with Monica's family claiming Christopher Baldner rammed...
Arrest Made in Killing
of Officer on First Shift
Oct 11, 2021 1:33 PM CDT
Arrest Made in Killing of Officer on First Shift
Damien Ferguson charged with murder of Georgia police officer Dylan Harrison
: An arrest has been made in the killing of a 26-year-old police officer in Georgia who was working his first shift with a new department. Damien Ferguson, 43, was arrested Sunday and charged with the murder of Dylan Harrison, Fox reports. Harrison was shot dead outside a police station...
for George Floyd's
Oct 5, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Pardon Recommended for George Floyd's 2004 Arrest
It's up to Gov. Greg Abbott now
On Monday, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously approved a posthumous pardon request from George Floyd's family. The request, which relates to Floyd's 2004 arrest at the hands of a former Houston cop who's since been indicted on counts including murder, now goes to...
Life Will Mean Life for
Sarah Everard Killer
Sep 30, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
Life Will Mean Life for Sarah Everard Killer
Wayne Couzens given whole-life tariff
: Former Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens has been given the longest sentence possible under British law for the murder of Sarah Everard. After a two-day hearing that involved harrowing details of Everard's final hours and devastating victim impact statements from her family, the 48-year-old was sentenced to a...
Chauvin Addresses Alleged
Chokehold on Black Teen
Sep 16, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Chauvin Addresses Alleged Chokehold on Black Teen
Former cop pleads not guilty to civil rights violation involving 14-year-old
- The former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd pleaded not guilty Thursday to allegedly violating the civil rights of a teenager in a separate case that involved a restraint similar to the one used on Floyd. Derek Chauvin, who is charged in federal court...
'Obvious Case of
Racial Profiling' by Cop
Aug 31, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Lawyers Describe 'Obvious Case of Racial Profiling' by Cop
Chicago police officer is on administrative leave
- A white Chicago police officer has been placed on administrative duty as the city's police oversight agency investigates his struggle with a Black woman who was walking her dog in a lakefront park. Police Superintendent David Brown on Monday directed that the officer be placed on paid desk duty...
Cop Who Responded to
Murder Scene Adopts Survivor
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Cop Who Responded to Murder Scene Adopts Survivor
Detective Mike Blair bonded with injured boy in the hospital
- A Florida boy who was stabbed and set on fire by his own father now has a new dad—one of the officers who responded to the scene. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Detective Mike Blair says that when he arrived at the scene in March 2018, he was told...
Teen Who Filmed
Floyd's Murder Has
Jul 7, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Teen Who Filmed Floyd's Murder Has Distressing News
Darnella Frazier says her uncle was killed in crash while Minneapolis cops were chasing someone else
- The teen awarded a Pulitzer Prize special citation for her recording of George Floyd's murder says her uncle has died in an interaction with police. "Minneapolis police killed my uncle ... nothing feels real," Darnella Frazier, 18, wrote Tuesday on Facebook, per NBC News , noting police "took...
FBI: Stripped of Guns, Ex-Cop
Charged in Capitol Riot Buys 34
Jul 2, 2021 12:14 PM CDT
FBI: Stripped of Guns, Ex-Cop Charged in Capitol Riot Buys 34
Thomas Robertson also found to possess partial pipe bomb: prosecutors
- A former Virginia police officer charged in the Capitol attack was ordered not to possess any weapons—which is why authorities were alarmed to find an email receipt showing he'd ordered 34 guns. Thomas Robertson, fired by the Rocky Mount Police Department shortly after his Jan. 13 arrest, was...
DC Cop After
Need a Drink'
Jun 26, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DC Cop After Meeting With McCarthy: 'I Need a Drink'
Officer Michael Fanone says he's disappointed with House minority leader's response on Jan. 6 riot
- DC Metropolitan Police officer Michael Fanone has been asking for weeks to meet with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy about the Capitol riot, and on Friday he finally got his wish. Fanone's first reaction to their conversation: "I need a drink," he told reporters, expressing continued frustration...
US Are Resigning,
Retiring Like Crazy
Jun 25, 2021 9:23 AM CDT
Cops Across US Are Resigning, Retiring Like Crazy
Asheville, NC, has lost a third of its force
- Who wants to be a cop these days? In many US cities, the answer is increasingly "hardly anybody." Officers have been resigning or retiring in droves across the country and police departments are finding it very difficult to recruit replacements, NPR reports. The Police Executive Research Forum think...
Cops: 'True Hero' Died
in Colorado Shooting
Jun 22, 2021 6:46 PM CDT
Cops: 'True Hero' Died in Colorado Shooting
Slain officer was killed in ambush, Arvada police say
- A police officer who was one of three people killed in a shooting at a suburban Denver shopping district was ambushed by a suspect who previously expressed hatred toward police, authorities said Tuesday. Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley "was targeted because he was wearing an Arvada police uniform,"...
Partner of Lord's Son
Charged With Killing Cop
Jun 1, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Partner of Lord's Son Charged With Killing Cop
Canada's Jasmine Hartin accused of accidentally shooting Belizean police officer in the head
- The daughter-in-law of a British-Belizean billionaire has been charged with shooting a police officer in the head in Belize. Jasmine Hartin—the wife of Lord Michael Ashcroft's youngest son, Andrew, himself a well-known property developer in Belize—was charged Monday with manslaughter by negligence in the death of police...
Prosecutors: NJ Cops Found
Meth Lab in Officer's Home
May 17, 2021 12:37 PM CDT
Prosecutors: NJ Cops Found Meth Lab in Officer's Home
Christopher Walls could get up to 20 years in prison
- Christopher Walls has been with the Long Branch Police Department in New Jersey for 19 years. Charges filed in connection with an alleged meth lab at his home could send him to prison for a similar amount of time. Prosecutors say that when Long Branch officers were called to the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.