Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You'll Never Guess Where
the Best Pizza in the US Is
Jul 17, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
You'll Never Guess Where the Best Pizza in the US Is
Cookbook authors have a surprising announcement after visiting 250 pizzerias
- Who’s going to tell New York? The city that everyone knows has the best pizza in the US, possibly the world, has been dethroned. And you’ll never guess where the best pies are. Modernist Cuisine, the labor of love of former Microsoft chief technical officer Nathan Myhrvold and...
She Called Out James Corden,
Is Now Getting Death Threats
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
She Called Out James Corden, Is Now Getting Death Threats
Petition creator Kim Saira wants an apology for segment she sees as anti-Asian
Late Late Show
host James Corden has vowed to reform his occasional "Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts" segment, but that's not enough for critics who call it racist. Some 46,000 people have signed a Change.org petition demanding a public apology, a donation to Asian...
Here Is the (Controversial)
List of Best Cities for BBQ
May 15, 2021 1:29 PM CDT
Here Is the (Controversial) List of Best Cities for BBQ
New Orleans tops the list from Chef's Pencil
- Have a hankering for brisket? Pining for pulled pork? We can't blame you, because May is National Barbecue Month, and the smell of smoky, meaty goodness may already be drifting around your neighborhood. Chef's Pencil wanted to see which states can claim their own mini barbecue crowns, and...
In America's Battle of the
Bagels, a Shocking Admission
Mar 9, 2021 9:45 AM CST
In America's Battle of the Bagels, a Shocking Admission
California bagels are the best, concedes Tejal Rao of the 'NYT'
New York Times
has just published one of its most controversial articles ever, one that identifies the country's best bagels as coming from—gasp!—California. "Sorry, New York," reads a portion of the headline for Monday's article by Tejal Rao, which describes a "...
Utah City Offers People
With Parking Tix a Creative Fix
Feb 22, 2021 12:44 PM CST
Utah City Offers People With Parking Tix a Creative Fix
Utah's Heber City will nix parking tix for violators who donate at least 5 nonperishable food items
- Over the past few weeks, police in Heber City, Utah, have doled out upward of 300 parking tickets to those who've parked in the street, despite a ban on doing so during snowstorms and immediately after. That's when local police decided to squeeze some good out of the...
Nature Is 'Unraveling'
Before Our Eyes
Sep 10, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Nature Is 'Unraveling' Before Our Eyes
It's time to overhaul our food system: WWF report
- Nature is "unraveling" at a rate not seen for millions of years. That's according to a new report from the World Wildlife Fund, which finds wildlife populations have fallen by an average of 68% since 1970. In Latin America and the Caribbean, populations have fallen by an average...
Purists Are Losing It Over US
Version of Spanish Delicacy
Aug 15, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Purists Are Losing It Over US Version of Spanish Delicacy
It's 'not the same thing at all,' says ham expert in Spain
- Like acorn-fed Iberian ham? Well, now you can try US versions of the Spanish delicacy—a development that culinary purists are none too thrilled about, the
reports. "The real problem is that we are a nation of idiots who have given away our heritage that our governments have...
Raccoon for Thanksgiving?
Not So Weird a Century Ago
Nov 28, 2019 12:26 PM CST
Raccoon for Thanksgiving? Not So Weird a Century Ago
President Calvin Coolidge wasn't a fan, though
- Long before President Trump pardoned his first turkey, another US president saved a racoon intended to become his Thanksgiving dinner. The
has the wild story of how a raccoon sent to President Calvin Coolidge in November 1926 by a Mississippi resident promising a tasty meal became his beloved...
a Breakfast Food
Nov 15, 2019 5:50 AM CST
Twinkies: Now a Breakfast Food
Start your day with 16 grams of sugar
- Why have one Twinkie when you could have a bowl full? You can, as of next month. A cereal based on the golden pastry—a collaboration of Hostess and Post Consumer Brands—is set to arrive on grocery store shelves by the end of the year, reports
Sep 24, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
Disney-Loving Vegans, Rejoice
More than 400 plant-based options coming to US parks
- Plant-based dishes are coming to all 602 eateries at Disney's US theme parks. More than 400 dishes "made without animal meat, dairy, eggs or honey"—including cauliflower tacos, fried tofu, and carrot gnocchi—will arrive early next month at Florida's Walt Disney World, and in early...
A Diner's Menu Offer Sparks
Debate: Is It Really Sexist?
Jul 7, 2019 2:21 PM CDT
A Diner's Menu Offer Sparks Debate: Is It Really Sexist?
Mama D's Diner lets people order a little extra for the 'girlfriend'
- A restaurant's special "girlfriend" offer is lighting up the Internet and sparking debate about possible sexism. It all began June 28 when Nick Chisler posted the "My Girlfriend is Not Hungry" listing from an Arkansas diner on Facebook , per CBS News . The cheeky menu option at Mama...
Police Investigating What Was
in Crepes Served to Teachers
May 21, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Police Investigating What Was in Crepes Served to Teachers
Per student-made video, bodily fluids were allegedly included
- Students in a "Global Gourmet" class at Ohio's Olentangy Hyatts Middle School held a cooking competition last week, during which they served the teachers who were judging the contest crepes. Those crepes may have contained some decidedly less-than-gourmet ingredients: urine and semen, police say. A video purportedly made...
America Has a New
May 7, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
America Has a New 'Best Restaurant'
The James Beard Foundation awards Zahav
- Mazel tov! A renowned Israeli restaurant in Philadelphia just won a top culinary prize and added to the city's growing reputation for fine food, Bloomberg reports. The 2019 James Beard Foundation Awards—known as the Oscars of the food world—named Zahav outstanding restaurant at Lyric Opera in Chicago...
Meal Kits Better for Planet
Than Grocery Shopping
Apr 23, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
Meal Kits Better for Planet Than Grocery Shopping
It comes down to food waste: researchers
- Despite arriving on your doorstep enclosed in plastic and cardboard, meal kits are generally better for the environment than a meal cooked at home with ingredients from a grocery store. In fact, store meals on average produce 33% more greenhouse gas emissions than meal kits bought from the likes of...
Carl's Jr. Reveals
Its 4/20 Offering
Apr 17, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Carl's Jr. Reveals Its 4/20 Offering
CBD-infused burger will sell in Denver for $4.20
- Cannabidiol or CBD, the nonpsychoactive component of cannabis, is turning up in everything from jelly beans to soda . Now, Carl's Jr. is jumping on the trend, becoming the first major fast-food chain to release a CBD-infused burger. Despite its name, the "Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight"—made...
Over Infection Risk
Mar 24, 2019 12:37 PM CDT
Avocados Recalled Over Infection Risk
Henry Avocado Corporation decides to play it safe
- Shopping for avocados? Watch out for sticker labels marked "Bravocado" and "California"—they've been voluntarily recalled by the Henry Avocado Corporation after government inspectors found Listeria Monocytogenes on avocados during a routine test, Fox 5 San Diego reports. The recalled fruit was packed in California and...
Tyson Recall Gives New
Meaning to Rubbery Chicken
Jan 30, 2019 7:12 AM CST
Tyson Recall Gives New Meaning to Rubbery Chicken
Chicken nuggets produced on Nov. 26 might contain rubber
- Tyson Foods is recalling 36,420 pounds of chicken nuggets after consumers reported that they contain "extraneous material, specifically rubber." The Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Tuesday that 5-pound packages of "Tyson White Meat Panko Chicken Nuggets," produced on Nov. 26, 2018, should be thrown...
Heading Back to
Work Without Pay
Jan 15, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Food Inspectors Heading Back to Work Without Pay
FDA inspections of 'high risk' items were to resume
- The FDA says it will resume inspections of some of the riskiest foods—such as cheeses, produce and infant formula—that had been briefly halted as a result of the partial government shutdown. FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said Monday that the agency is bringing back about 150 unpaid employees for...
29K Pounds of Sausage
Recalled Over Risk of Metal
Dec 11, 2018 8:21 AM CST
29K Pounds of Sausage Recalled Over Risk of Metal
5 people have found metal fragments in Jimmy Dean sausage links
- Check your freezer for 23.4-oz. packages of Jimmy Dean's "Heat 'n Serve" sausages, recalled over an apparent risk of metal fragments. The Monday announcement from the Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service refers to five customer complaints of metal pieces in the frozen...
Grilled Rat Wasn't on the Menu.
2 Employees Made It Anyway
Nov 23, 2018 7:46 AM CST
Grilled Rat Wasn't on the Menu. 2 Employees Made It Anyway
Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Hawaii considering legal action
- A Hawaiian burger chain is scrubbing one of its locations top to bottom after two employees apparently decided to cook up a rat. A short clip posted days ago on Snapchat shows two staffers joking around as a rat is seen on the grill of Teddy's Bigger Burgers' Mapunapuna...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Michael Madsen: Son's Death Is 'Mind-Blowing'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.