Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
School Board Bans
All Political Signs
Aug 12, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
School Board Bans All Political Signs
Next, members will look at rewriting anti-racism policy
- On a 4-3 vote, members of an Oregon school board decided to prohibit signs, flags, and clothing with political messages on district property. The Newberg board members didn't specify what they consider "political," but community members who spoke at the meeting brought up pride flags and Black...
Pride Flag Replaced With
Confederate Flag on Campus
Aug 11, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Pride Flag Replaced With Confederate Flag on Campus
Police investigating what Virginia Tech's Wesley religious center calls a 'hate crime'
- A gay pride flag has been stolen from a religious center at Virginia Tech for the third time in two weeks, and this time a Confederate flag was erected in its place. Police in Blacksburg, Va., are investigating the vandalism at the Wesley center, which campus minister Bret Gresham spotted...
Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Jun 26, 2021 8:54 PM CDT
Introduces Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Nina's brother and his family showed up for family day
- There’s a new family on Sesame Street. Nina, a regular character, introduces her brother Dave on family day. Dave, his husband, Frank, and their daughter, Mia, all come to a party. It’s a very natural introduction, providing only the information a kid needs. Kids “just need to...
Cops: Parade Crash Caused
by Senior Driver's Mistake
Jun 21, 2021 3:10 AM CDT
Cops: Parade Crash Caused by Senior Driver's Mistake
Man driving truck was 77, accidentally accelerated
- The driver who allegedly ran into marchers at a Pride parade in Florida Saturday, killing one and seriously injuring another, was himself a participant in the event, authorities say. The 77-year-old is a member of the Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus, as were both men who were hit, and...
City Official: Fatal Crash at
Pride Parade Looks Accidental
Jun 20, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
City Official: Fatal Crash at Pride Parade Looks Accidental
1 killed, 1 injured when pickup truck slams into crowd in Florida
- A gay pride parade near Fort Lauderdale was brought to a tragic halt just as it began on Saturday when a pickup truck fatally struck one person and injured another, reports the
. Though initial reports suggested otherwise, it looks "increasingly probable" that the incident at the Stonewall...
Rally to Small
Jun 8, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Supporters Rally to Small Bakery's Cause After Backlash
Texas shop drew anger because it made rainbow treats for Pride month
- For two days in a row, a cookie shop in East Texas had no cookies to sell. In fact, Confections in Lufkin—a bakery specializing in cookies, cupcakes, and sandwiches—had zero inventory at all, per CBS News . For the owners, sisters Dawn Cooley and Miranda Dolder, it was a...
Burger King Takes Dig
at Chick-Fil-A With Donations
Jun 7, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Burger King Takes Dig at Chick-Fil-A With Donations
Chain gives part of chicken sandwich proceeds to LGBTQ group, 'even on Sundays'
- There’s a new battle underway in the chicken sandwich war . Burger King will donate part of the price of each Ch’King sandwich to an LGBTQ civil rights organization throughout June—Pride month, reports
. And because the restaurant tweeted that they’ll make the donations to...
a Big Message
for Pride Month
Jun 5, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Andrew Cuomo's Daughter Has a Big Message for Pride Month
Michaela Kennedy-Cuomo: 'Today, I stand in my queer identity with pride'
- One of the New York governor's daughters shared a celebratory message to the LGBTQ community this week, wishing a "#HappyPrideMonth to the whole spectrum of sexualities!" There was more, however, to Michaela Kennedy-Cuomo's Thursday Instagram post , which was accompanied by a photo of her sporting a...
Greene Mocks Colleague's
Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Feb 25, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Greene Mocks Colleague's Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Congresswoman goes after House neighbor Marie Newman, whose daughter is transgender
- Rep. Marie Newman, a freshman Democratic congresswoman from Illinois, has been going to bat to get an LGBTQ rights bill known as the Equality Act passed. Newman has shared that her daughter, "the strongest, bravest person I know," identifies as transgender. So Newman wasn't pleased when Georgia...
Very Few Big Events Are
Happening. Here, a Huge March
Oct 31, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Very Few Big Events Are Happening. Here, a Huge March
LGBT rally takes place in Taipei, Taiwan, where COVID has been kept at bay
- A huge and festive crowd marched in Taiwan's capital on Saturday in an annual LGBT Pride event. Turnout was down from last year, but organizers said it still topped 100,000 on a mostly sunny day in Taipei. Many participants didn't wear protective masks, but others did, some...
Tweet May Finally Settle
Jun 14, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Tweet May Finally Settle SpongeBob's Sexuality
Nickelodeon tweets about the character for Pride month
- Nickelodeon rekindled the question of SpongeBob Squarepants' sexuality Saturday with a tweet celebrating Pride month,
reports. "Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month," the tweet reads along with images of Spongebob, Michael Cohen from
and Avatar Korra...
Man Gets 15-Plus Years
for Burning Pride Flag
Dec 20, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Man Gets 15-Plus Years for Burning Pride Flag
Adolfo Martinez said it was his 'honor' to set LGBT banner on fire in Ames, Iowa
- An Iowa man will have a lot of time to reflect on how burning an LGBTQ flag in June wasn't the right move. The AP reports that Adolfo Martinez, 30, was convicted last month, and Wednesday he was sentenced to at least 15 years behind bars for an arson...
Parades in NYC,
Other Big Cities
This 1969 Event
Jun 30, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Parades in NYC, Other Big Cities All Commemorate This 1969 Event
It's the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, which sparked modern gay-rights movement
- As Pride Month comes to a close, New York threw a massive LGBTQ Pride March, as other cities, including San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle, also hosted parades commemorating the 50th anniversary of the clash between police and gay bar patrons that sparked the modern gay-rights movement. New York's Pride...
VP on Pride
Flag at Embassies:
Jun 11, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
VP on Pride Flag at Embassies: 'One American Flag Flies'
Mike Pence says keeping pride flag off of embassy flagpoles is 'right'
- Mike Pence has no issue with the Trump administration's decision to keep pride flags off flagpoles at US embassies during Pride Month. "We're proud to be able to serve every American," but "when it comes to the American flagpole, and American embassies, and capitals around...
Jun 10, 2019 4:23 PM CDT
Chief Says Neo-Nazis Wanted Another Charlottesville
Officers prevented violence at Detroit gay pride event, Chief James Craig says
- Detroit's police chief says officers prevented violence by a neo-Nazi group that wanted to spark "Charlottesville No. 2" during a gay pride festival over the weekend, the AP reports. Chief James Craig said Monday that five people among about 15 white supremacists were legally carrying firearms while they...
What Really Happened
During Gay Pride Panic
Jun 9, 2019 4:05 PM CDT
What Really Happened During Gay Pride Panic
Police say a man threatened someone with a BB gun
- A man threatened another person with a BB gun during an LGBTQ pride parade in the nation's capital and set off a panic that sent hundreds of people, who mistakenly believed gunshots were fired, running in fear, police said Sunday, per the AP . Aftabjit Singh, 38, was arrested on...
Paraders Thought They
Heard Gunshots, Panicked
Jun 9, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Paraders Thought They Heard Gunshots, Panicked
Man is taken into custody after melee, but no shots fired at DC Capitol Pride Parade
- A panic caused by a mistaken belief that a gun had been fired during a pride parade in the nation's capital sent people running through the city's streets, reports the AP . Police said some who fled had minor injuries and seven were taken to hospitals. "As the...
US Embassies Denied
by the Trump Administration
Jun 8, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
US Embassies Denied by the Trump Administration
Longstanding policy of flying rainbow flag in June is scuttled
- US embassies wanting to fly rainbow flags have received a stark rebuke from the Trump administration, NBC News reports. Embassies in Latvia, Brazil, Israel, Germany, and other nations sought permission to fly the pride flag in June—LGBTQ Pride Month—and were denied by the State Department, diplomats say. That...
'Straight Pride' Parade Idea
Not Going Over Well
Jun 6, 2019 7:17 PM CDT
'Straight Pride' Parade Idea Not Going Over Well
Would-be organizer says he'd consider merging it with Boston's annual pride parade
- Boston's annual Pride parade happens Saturday, and if one man has his way, it will be followed up in a couple months with a Straight Pride parade. John Hugo, president of a group called Super Happy Fun America, says "We want people to be aware that there is...
Bishop Tells Catholics to
Avoid 'Pride Month' Events
Jun 3, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Bishop Tells Catholics to Avoid 'Pride Month' Events
Thomas Tobin faces backlash after tweet
- Rhode Island's Roman Catholic bishop on Sunday defended a tweet urging Catholics to not support or attend LGBTQ Pride Month events, saying it was his obligation to teach the faith "clearly and compassionately, even on very difficult and sensitive issues." Diocese of Providence Bishop Thomas Tobin sparked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.