Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby
Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Sep 13, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Connecticut couple diving in Rhode Island found juvenile creature stuck in a work glove
- A Connecticut couple's scuba diving trip in Rhode Island on Monday turned into a mission to rescue a baby shark. Deb and Steve Dauphinais of Glastonbury, Connecticut, were diving on the sand flats off Jamestown, Rhode Island, when Deb Dauphinais spotted the 16-inch juvenile shark with its head stuck...
They Had Sailed the World for
2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
They Had Sailed the World for 2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
3 sailors rescued from their sinking catamaran
- It was an around-the-world trip that almost ended in death, possibly by drowning or at the hands of sharks. But "an emergency beacon absolutely saved their lives" says a manager at the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) of three men who were rescued Wednesday from their shark-battered inflatable catamaran....
the Possibility of
Jul 21, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Scientists Probe the Possibility of 'Cocaine Sharks'
Investigation to air as part of Discovery's Shark Week
- Last month alone, the US Coast Guard seized more than 14,100 pounds of cocaine in the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. That's a lot of cocaine and suggests the drug, dumped by smugglers and picked up by currents, could make its way to marine life, including sharks. You'...
Unwanted Guests Show Their
Teeth at New York's Beaches
Jul 5, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Unwanted Guests Show Their Teeth at New York's Beaches
Multiple shark bites reported off Long Island, Fire Island over the last few days
- It's beach season in New York—and apparently for the sharks hanging around in the waters off the Empire State's popular beaches, as well. As NBC News reports, several people were bitten by sharks on Monday and Tuesday, though none were fatal. The details:
A 15-year-old boy was
Tell His Wife
There's a Shark
Jul 1, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Tell His Wife There's a Shark Behind Her
Ricky Tribble didn't want Malea Tribble to panic as she paddleboarded to the safety boat he was on
- A paddleboarder raising money for charity as part of a long-distance relay had quite the close call last weekend when a shark appeared to be stalking her in the water. WPBF reports that Malea Tribble of Fort Lauderdale was about halfway through the 80-mile-plus journey from Bimini in the Bahamas...
He Was Told Not to
Put Hands in Water.
Shark Explains Why
Jun 27, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
He Was Told Not to Put Hands in Water. Shark Explains Why
Florida fisherman bloodied by suspected bull shark after ignoring friend's advice
- The fisherman only wanted to rinse his hands. But it was a move the Florida man will be cursing himself for after a shark apparently mistook his hands for a tasty fish. The unidentified man was fishing with a group in Everglades National Park on Friday morning when he leaned...
5 Shark Species See
Jun 16, 2023 12:18 PM CDT
5 Shark Species See 'Frightening' Losses
A thorough survey sees some species of reef sharks have plummeted by 60% to 73%
- In a comprehensive survey of shark and manta ray populations in nearly 400 coral reefs on Earth, scientists made an alarming discovery, reports the
: Five shark species known to call those reefs home have declined at a devastating rate of between 60% and 73% in the last 50...
Great White Begins
His Summer Vacation
Off Long Island
Jun 7, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Great White Begins His Summer Vacation Off Long Island
400-pound Jekyll was spotted over the weekend off of Quogue
- Last year saw a good number of shark sightings and even attacks off the coast of Long Island, and the summer 2023 season has already kicked off with the former. NBC New York reports that a great white was spotted Friday night and had neared the coastline by Sunday morning....
Sharks Holding Their Breath
Came as 'Complete Surprise'
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Sharks Holding Their Breath Came as 'Complete Surprise'
Behavior allows hammerheads to maintain body temperature during dives
- Hammerhead sharks dive more than half a mile below the ocean's surface to find and catch prey. And they hold their breath while they do it, according to researchers, who say the discovery—the first time the behavior has been witnessed in fish—came as " a complete surprise...
In the World
of Shark Research,
a Big Retraction
Mar 28, 2023 3:03 PM CDT
In the World of Shark Research, a Big Retraction
Scientists retract paper claiming mysterious creature was sighted in Mediterranean
- As far as retractions go, it's an unusual one: A group of scientists have yanked their May 2022 paper claiming a goblin shark had been sighted for the first time in the Mediterranean as well as their defense, published March 13, 2023, of their study. The March 20 move...
Fishermen Caught a Shark,
May Have Solved a Mystery
Feb 28, 2023 3:02 PM CST
Fishermen Caught a Shark, May Have Solved a Mystery
Remains of Diego Barría, who went missing earlier this month, possibly found inside
- The remains of a man who had disappeared in southern Argentina earlier this month appear to have been found inside a school shark that was captured by local fishermen. Diego Barría, 32, had last been seen near the coast in the southern Chubut province riding his all-terrain vehicle late...
She Cooked and
Ate a Great White.
Now, an Apology
Feb 22, 2023 2:30 AM CST
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, an Apology
Chinese food blogger was fined $18.5K after noshing on protected species, showing it online
- Chinese food blogger Tizi is apologizing after one of her viral social media videos showed her eating what turned out to be a protected great white shark. She insists the online seafood seller from whom she procured the shark, and with whom she had worked before, assured her it was...
Horrified Onlookers at Popular
Beach Witness Shark Attack
Feb 20, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Horrified Onlookers at Popular Beach Witness Shark Attack
Aussie tourist dies after encounter in waters off French territory of New Caledonia in South Pacific
- An Australian man's swim over the weekend in a tropical resort city ended in tragedy, causing the closure of most of the beaches in the area. The 59-year-old tourist was about 500 feet offshore on Sunday when he was attacked by a shark at the popular Chateau Royal beach...
Nearly 50 Years
Later, a Big
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 24, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Nearly 50 Years Later, a Big Regret From Spielberg
Director speaks about decimation of shark population after 1975's 'Jaws'
- Steven Spielberg's
is considered to be the very first summer blockbuster film , surpassing $100 million in box office earnings. There's one demographic that likely isn't a big fan, however: sharks, who bore the brunt of the public's wrath (specifically at the hands of trophy-hunting fishermen)...
In Hawaii, a 2nd
Shark Attack in 5 Days
Dec 14, 2022 9:05 AM CST
In Hawaii, a 2nd Shark Attack in 5 Days
Man is recovering after bite to the rear; search has ended for other presumed victim
- A man in Hawaii has reportedly survived a shark bite to the butt in what's believed to be the second attack in the state in a week. The 68-year-old from Waikoloa used a diving knife to fend off the 12-foot-long tiger shark as he swam in Anaehoomalu Bay, on...
She Was Swimming in the
Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Nov 8, 2022 9:45 AM CST
She Was Swimming in the Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Lyn Jutronich, 50, describes watching a shark attack her off the coast of Del Mar, Calif.
- Lyn Jutronich was resting in the water during her morning ocean swim when something rammed her hard out of the water. Jutronich, 50, said she immediately knew it was a shark. She gave her first interviews over the weekend from her hospital bed, where she's recovering after the shark...
Rescued Boaters' Lacerations
Were 'Almost Down to the Bone'
Oct 11, 2022 2:39 PM CDT
Rescued Boaters' Lacerations Were 'Almost Down to the Bone'
The Louisiana men were forced to fend off sharks
- More details are emerging in the harrowing story of three missing boaters who were rescued Sunday after spending 28 hours in the water after their boat sank—and being forced to fend off sharks. That the Louisiana men were found at all is wild: After family members reported they didn'...
Video of Shark's
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Video of Shark's Surprise Move Goes Viral
Mako jumps into boat, but all ends well
- Passengers on a charter boat keeping an eye out for sharks got a much closer look than they anticipated in Maine. However, all ended well, including for the shark. As NECN reports, a boat with Sea Ventures Charters was about 20 miles off Monhegan Island when a mako shark leaped...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
Researchers Create Model
of Huge, Ancient Shark
Aug 20, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Researchers Create Model of Huge, Ancient Shark
Megalodon could have devoured a killer whale in 5 bites, research shows
- Today's sharks have nothing on their ancient cousins. A giant shark that roamed the oceans millions of years ago could have devoured a creature the size of a killer whale in just five bites, new research suggests. For their study published this week, researchers used fossil evidence to create...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.