Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mar 22, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Thanks to Spring Breakers, Miami Beach Declares Emergency
Midnight curfew will be in effect this weekend following shootings
- For the second year in a row, Miami Beach is instituting a curfew in response to spring break violence. Five people were injured in two shootings over the weekend while four of 371 police officers tasked with patrolling the crowds were injured in "a pair of accidents involving golf...
Cops: Woman Trying to Parallel
Park Plows Into Outdoor Diners
Feb 25, 2022 12:45 PM CST
Cops: Woman Trying to Parallel Park Plows Into Outdoor Diners
One person is dead, 6 injured outside an Italian eatery in Miami Beach, Fla.
- A night out in balmy Miami Beach ended in tragedy for a group of diners when a car drove up onto the sidewalk and plowed into their seating area in the outside portion of a local Italian eatery. Police say one person is dead and six are injured after the...
Everyone Survived Chopper
Crash at Miami Beach
Feb 20, 2022 7:01 AM CST
Everyone Survived Chopper Crash at Miami Beach
Two people aboard the helicopter were injured
- A helicopter crashed Saturday into the ocean waters off Miami Beach, plummeting a few feet away from swimmers in a crowded stretch popular among tourists. Two people aboard the chopper were taken to a nearby hospital in stable condition, and no one else appeared to be injured, per the AP...
Isn't Quite That
Sep 23, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
'High-Profile Hispanic Democrat' Isn't Quite That
Miami Beach candidate Kristen Rosen Gonzalez is not Hispanic, though her ex-husband is
- Kristen Rosen Gonzalez made a bold claim to Democratic leaders in Miami Beach while seeking their endorsement. She called herself “the most high-profile Hispanic Democrat in the city of Miami Beach," reports CBS Miami . (The video in which she does so is here .) The claim caused the...
Developers Find Resistance
to Tearing Down Capone House
Sep 18, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Developers Find Resistance to Tearing Down Capone House
One opponent doesn't see how a McMansion is an improvement
- Some of the arguments about whether to tear down the old Capone place in Palm Island, Florida, sound like they could have been part of a debate about a hit a century ago in Chicago. "It's not worthy of being saved because it's lived its life,"...
Cops: Man Killed Tourist
Trying to Protect Baby Son
Aug 25, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Cops: Man Killed Tourist Trying to Protect Baby Son
Tamarius Davis told police he was 'high on mushrooms'
- A tourist from Colorado died protecting his 1-year-old son from a murderous stranger at a Miami Beach restaurant, authorities say. Police say 22-year-old Georgia resident Tamarius Davis Jr. told them he shot Dustin Wakefield, 21, because he was "high on mushrooms which made him feel empowered," the
5 Miami Beach Cops Charged
After 'Unspeakable' Actions
Aug 3, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
5 Miami Beach Cops Charged After 'Unspeakable' Actions
Footage shows officers kicking suspect and tackling, punching a bystander
- Five police officers have been charged with battery after two Black men were violently arrested at a hotel in South Beach in Miami Beach. The arrests last week were captured on surveillance video recorded by the Royal Palm Hotel , the AP reports. The footage picks up Delonta Crudup running into...
Concrete Concerns Lead to
Miami Building's Evacuation
Jul 14, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
Concrete Concerns Lead to Miami Building's Evacuation
Deterioration sparked worry three weeks after nearby condo building's collapse
- Residents of an 82-year-old, two-story apartment building in Miami Beach have been ordered to evacuate because of concrete deterioration nearly three weeks after the deadly collapse of Champlain Towers South in nearby Surfside. The city of Miami Beach ordered the evacuation of Devon Apartments on Monday and is giving residents...
Professor: Condo Building
Was Sinking Since 1990s
Jun 24, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
Professor: Condo Building Was Sinking Since 1990s
Nearly 100 people unaccounted for after collapse in Florida
- It may take days for the numbers to crystallize after part of a condo building collapsed overnight near Miami, but authorities on Thursday were focusing on a harrowing number: 99 people are unaccounted for, reports the
. Miami-Dade Commissioner Sally Heyman says that doesn't necessarily...
Florida Condo Building
Crumbles: 'It Felt Like
Jun 24, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
Florida Condo Building Crumbles: 'It Felt Like an Earthquake'
At least one dead, 8 injured after Champlain Towers South condo partially collapses
- Search and rescue efforts continue after a condo tower partially collapsed overnight in the town of Surfside, Fla., just north of Miami Beach. Sources tell CBS Miami that at least one person has died, while ABC11 reports at least eight have been hospitalized with injuries, with one person said to...
Cops: Spring Breakers Drugged,
Raped a Woman Who Then Died
Mar 23, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Cops: Spring Breakers Drugged, Raped a Woman Who Then Died
Incident comes as Miami continues to struggle with spring break chaos
- Two spring breakers are accused of drugging and raping a woman who died soon after they left her unconscious in her hotel room bed. Police say Evoire Collier, 21, and Dorian Taylor, 24, of North Carolina, met the victim at a restaurant in Miami Beach last week and one of...
Miami Beach Grounds
Spring Breakers for Weeks
Mar 22, 2021 2:10 AM CDT
Miami Beach Grounds Spring Breakers for Weeks
Curfew, causeway closures will continue through April 12
- Spring breakers were grounded by Miami Beach over the weekend, and on Sunday, that grounding was extended for more than three weeks. At an emergency meeting, the Miami Beach City Commission voted unanimously to extend the 8pm-6am curfew, business restrictions, and causeway closures on Thursdays through Sundays until April 12,...
Spring Breakers Descend
on Miami Beach, Hurt Cops
Mar 15, 2021 1:23 AM CDT
Spring Breakers Descend on Miami Beach, Hurt Cops
100 have been arrested already
- Spring breakers have descended upon Miami Beach despite the coronavirus pandemic, and two police officers in the Florida city were hurt Friday night as they worked to disperse large crowds. Both were released Saturday morning, NBC News reports. About 100 partyers were arrested over the weekend, CNN reports, one of...
Miami Beach Is
Cutting Back on
Its Iconic Palms
Mar 1, 2021 1:14 PM CST
Miami Beach Is Cutting Back on Its Iconic Palms
Increasing the proportion of shade trees will make city more 'walkable and pleasant'
- Miami Beach is planning to reduce the proportion of palm trees in the city's canopy—but authorities have reassured worried residents that it's not going to be Palmageddon. They say that instead of removing the iconic trees wholesale, they plan to plant more shade trees, and in projects...
Some Thought It Was a Terror
Attack. Others, a Movie Set
Dec 21, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Some Thought It Was a Terror Attack. Others, a Movie Set
Dozens arrested after vehicles do doughnuts in South Beach, causing fear and gridlock
- If you were in Miami Beach Saturday night, you may have been witness to quite a street spectacle. Per NBC News , a group of cars converged on an intersection in the neighborhood of South Beach, then start doing doughnuts, while people who appeared to be part of the group stood...
Miami Will Fine You
for Not Wearing a Mask
Jun 30, 2020 3:26 PM CDT
Miami Will Fine You for Not Wearing a Mask
$50 fine becomes $500 for 3rd offense
- As coronavirus infections surge in Florida, more cities are introducing mandatory mask orders—and the ones in Miami and Miami Beach have teeth. As of Tuesday, anybody who is unable to socially distance and not wearing a face covering in an indoor or outdoor public space in Miami Beach will...
'The Window Is Closing'
to Curb the Pandemic
Jun 28, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
'The Window Is Closing' to Curb the Pandemic
In Florida, where cases are surging, Miami is closing its beaches for the July 4 holiday
- Miami is shutting down its popular beaches over the Fourth of July weekend as coronavirus cases surge in Florida, CNN reports. Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez made the announcement Friday and said all county parks and beaches will be closed from Friday, July 3 to Tuesday, July 7. "As...
This Is Where
Apr 24, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
This Is Where Andrew Gillum Was Found
Former gubernatorial candidate has since entered rehab
- You can now peek inside the hotel room where Andrew Gillum was found with a man suffering an apparent drug overdose and bags of what police suspected was crystal meth. Miami Beach Police released photos and (often blurred for privacy) body camera video footage on Wednesday, showing pills and pill...
Mar 24, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Flippant Spring Breaker Sorry for Coronavirus Comments
Brady Sluder gave now-infamous interview from Miami
- The spring breaker whose flippant comments about the coronavirus pandemic went viral is now apologizing,
reports. "I wasn't aware of the severity of my actions and comments," Brady Sluder posted on Instagram . "I'd like to take this time to own up to the...
The Latest Coronavirus
Puzzle: Ski Resorts
Mar 14, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
The Latest Coronavirus Puzzle: Ski Resorts
Meanwhile, Miami Beach and Georgia make changes to prevent infection
- Ski resorts in the US are grappling with how to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus as most planned to stay open as ski season nears an end, the AP reports. Some resorts are closing enclosed gondolas or aerial trams while others are encouraging skiers to ride lifts with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.