Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inmates Sue Prison Over
Forced Labor in Fields
Sep 16, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Inmates Sue Prison Over Forced Labor in Fields
Punishment for not meeting quotas can include solitary confinement, filing says
- Men incarcerated at Louisiana State Penitentiary filed a class-action lawsuit Saturday, contending they have been forced to work in the prison's fields for little or no pay, even when temperatures soar past 100 degrees. They described conditions as cruel, degrading, and often dangerous, the AP reports. The men, most...
Jun 12, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles With Epstein Victims for $290M
'We all now understand that Epstein's behavior was monstrous,' says bank accused of enabling him
- JPMorgan Chase has reached a settlement in a class-action lawsuit with victims of financier Jeffrey Epstein. Sources tell the
that the banking giant has agreed to pay $290 million. Epstein was arrested in 2019 on federal charges accusing him of paying underage girls hundreds of dollars in cash...
Judge Approves $50M
'Butterfly' Keyboard Settlement
May 30, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge Approves $50M 'Butterfly' Keyboard Settlement
Customers in 7 states could get up to $395
- Almost a year later, Apple's $50 million settlement in a class-action lawsuit regarding the company's much-maligned "butterfly" keyboards has received final approval from a US federal court, Engadget reports. Judge Edward Davila says the settlement, which does not require Apple to admit wrongdoing, is “fair, adequate...
Ye's Yeezy Brand
Gets Adidas Sued
May 1, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Ye's Yeezy Brand Gets Adidas Sued
Shareholders claim sportswear company ignored risks of partnership with rapper
- Investors unhappy with how the Adidas-Ye partnership played out are suing the sportswear company. They say Adidas had known how risky its deal with the rapper formerly known as Kanye West could be—years before it ultimately cut ties with Ye—and yet didn't take precautions to limit its...
Get Your Facebook
Apr 22, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Get Your Facebook Settlement Payment
Portal is now open to file a claim, but don't spend the cash all in one place
- For anyone in the US who mindlessly liked cat photos or got into political arguments on Facebook between May 2007 and December 2022, good news: Your internet nickels are almost here, in the form of Meta's $725 million class-action Cambridge Analytica settlement. But, as Stephen Council notes at SFGate...
Celebs: We Shouldn't Be
Liable for FTX Endorsements
Apr 19, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Celebs: We Shouldn't Be Liable for FTX Endorsements
The idea is 'nonsense,' Tom Brady, Larry David, others claim in court docs
- After five months of trying, lawyers for a group of FTX investors who are suing celebrity endorsers say they've finally managed to serve the last of them: Shaquille O'Neal. "Plaintiffs in the billion $ FTX class action case just served @SHAQ outside his house," the Moskowitz...
Meta Agrees to Compensate
Every US Facebook User
Dec 23, 2022 11:57 AM CST
Meta Agrees to Compensate Every US Facebook User
But they might get only $2 over Cambridge Analytica data harvesting
- American users of Facebook could be in for a small payout as Meta has agreed to pay $725 million to settle a class action lawsuit linked to the Cambridge Analytica data harvesting scandal. It's the "largest recovery ever achieved in a data privacy class action and the most...
Judge OKs False-Advertising
Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Judge OKs False-Advertising Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Class-action plaintiffs have beef with Barilla's 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta'; product is made in NY, Iowa
- "Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta" isn't as Italian as it sounds. That's the crux of a class-action lawsuit against Barilla that a federal judge this week ruled could proceed, meaning the company will have to face the plaintiffs' allegations that it engaged in false or...
Texas Pete Hot Sauce
Is Sued Over Its Name
Oct 10, 2022 12:34 PM CDT
Texas Pete Hot Sauce Is Sued Over Its Name
Customer thinks North Carolina product is guilty of false advertising
- A new class-action lawsuit involves four different states and a very literal reading of the label on a bottle of hot sauce. The first state is California, where resident Philip White went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of Texas Pete (second state) hot sauce, reports
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't
Happy They've Lost Service
Apr 14, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't Happy They've Lost Service
After Netflix suspended streaming there due to Ukraine war, subscribers launch $730K class action
- About 1 million of Netflix's 220 million subscribers worldwide are in Russia, and right now, they're pretty miffed. After Vladimir Putin decided to invade Ukraine, the streaming service blocked access in his nation and halted production of Russian-made movies and shows, and now customers there have launched a...
Subway Tuna Lawsuit
Has Taken a New Turn
Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM CST
Subway Tuna Lawsuit Has Taken a New Turn
3rd version of complaint claims sandwich chain's tuna contains cattle, pork, chicken DNA
The first version of a lawsuit against Subway claimed its tuna wasn't really tuna. The second, which was dismissed, said the tuna wasn't the right kind of tuna. Now, in a new amendment to that proposed class-action complaint, the plaintiffs say testing has found animal proteins in...
Disneyland Faces Suit From
25K Employees Over Pay
Sep 20, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Disneyland Faces Suit From 25K Employees Over Pay
Legal argument is tied to whether the city is subsidizing the company
- More than 25,000 Disneyland employees, many of whom say they can't get by on what they're paid, have joined a class-action lawsuit seeking a living wage. According to a 2018 study, 11% of Disneyland employees said they had experienced homelessness in the past two years, 68% said...
Guy Sues Over Hawaiian
Rolls Made in California
Jan 1, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Guy Sues Over Hawaiian Rolls Made in California
King's Hawaiian did originate in Hilo, but that was decades ago, New York's Robert Galinsky argues
- Truth in advertising is important to most people, but especially to Robert Galinsky. UPI reports that the Yonkers, NY, resident has filed a class-action lawsuit against King's Hawaiian, a maker of Hawaiian sweet rolls based in Torrance, Calif.—hence leading to Galinsky's complaint. In his suit, Galinsky...
Google+ Users, You
Could Be in the Money
Aug 5, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Google+ Users, You Could Be in the Money
About $12 worth in a class action lawsuit
- Former Google+ users could be eligible for a settlement due to leaked data, but go ahead and spend it all in one place because it's about $12. Americans who used the social media platform that was active between 2011 and 2019 have begun receiving emails announcing a $7.5...
Filing Opens in
Jul 13, 2020 5:55 PM CDT
Filing Opens in iPhone Settlement
Apple to pay about $25 to each owner who endured slowdown over battery issue
- Filing has opened for iPhone owners wanting their cash settlement over battery issues. Apple will pay about $25 to each owner under the settlement of a class-action lawsuit, MacRumors reports, after the manufacturer admitted slowing down older iPhones to head off shutdowns caused by degraded batteries. Apple's payments are...
Liberty University Accused
of Profiting Off Pandemic
Apr 15, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Liberty University Accused of Profiting Off Pandemic
Student sues in effort to have fees refunded
- A new lawsuit accuses Liberty University of profiting off the coronavirus pandemic by offering reduced services while refusing to refund student fees. The class-action suit—filed Monday by "Student A," who opted for anonymity "out of fear of retaliation and harassment"—claims Liberty allowed students to...
Zoom Hid Security
Apr 8, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Zoom Hid Security Flaws: Shareholder
Class-action lawsuit also claims unauthorized disclosure of personal info
- Shares in videoconferencing app Zoom hit record highs at the end of last month as COVID-19 forced people to work and socialize from home. Then came the drop, coinciding with concerns about " zoombombing " and other security and privacy issues. Another drop in stock price came Tuesday, with shares...
Lawsuits Mount Against
Popular Hair-Care Line
in case you missed it
Apr 5, 2020 2:50 PM CDT
Lawsuits Mount Against Popular Hair-Care Line
Users of DevaCurl say it makes their hair fall out
- DevaCurl products offering to tame frizzy hair have been "the focus and center" of the natural hair movement over the past two decades, Florida hair stylist Stephanie Mero tells NPR . Indeed, the
New York Times
describes a cult-like following by curly-haired women and men, some of whom used DevaCurl'...
Lays Everyone Off
Mar 23, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Staffer Sues After Bloomberg Lays Everyone Off
Donna Wood files proposed class-action suit
- Michael Bloomberg, from candidate to defendant? Maybe. Bloomberg had reportedly planned to pay presidential campaign staffers through the November election regardless of whether he made it to the finish line. The now-former candidate changed course on Friday, with the
New York Times
reporting that in lieu of that plan and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.