Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
class action lawsuits
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge OKs False-Advertising
Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Judge OKs False-Advertising Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Class-action plaintiffs have beef with Barilla's 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta'; product is made in NY, Iowa
- "Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta" isn't as Italian as it sounds. That's the crux of a class-action lawsuit against Barilla that a federal judge this week ruled could proceed, meaning the company will have to face the plaintiffs' allegations that it engaged in false or...
Texas Pete Hot Sauce
Is Sued Over Its Name
Oct 10, 2022 12:34 PM CDT
Texas Pete Hot Sauce Is Sued Over Its Name
Customer thinks North Carolina product is guilty of false advertising
- A new class-action lawsuit involves four different states and a very literal reading of the label on a bottle of hot sauce. The first state is California, where resident Philip White went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of Texas Pete (second state) hot sauce, reports
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't
Happy They've Lost Service
Apr 14, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't Happy They've Lost Service
After Netflix suspended streaming there due to Ukraine war, subscribers launch $730K class action
- About 1 million of Netflix's 220 million subscribers worldwide are in Russia, and right now, they're pretty miffed. After Vladimir Putin decided to invade Ukraine, the streaming service blocked access in his nation and halted production of Russian-made movies and shows, and now customers there have launched a...
Subway Tuna Lawsuit
Has Taken a New Turn
Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM CST
Subway Tuna Lawsuit Has Taken a New Turn
3rd version of complaint claims sandwich chain's tuna contains cattle, pork, chicken DNA
The first version of a lawsuit against Subway claimed its tuna wasn't really tuna. The second, which was dismissed, said the tuna wasn't the right kind of tuna. Now, in a new amendment to that proposed class-action complaint, the plaintiffs say testing has found animal proteins in...
Disneyland Faces Suit From
25K Employees Over Pay
Sep 20, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Disneyland Faces Suit From 25K Employees Over Pay
Legal argument is tied to whether the city is subsidizing the company
- More than 25,000 Disneyland employees, many of whom say they can't get by on what they're paid, have joined a class-action lawsuit seeking a living wage. According to a 2018 study, 11% of Disneyland employees said they had experienced homelessness in the past two years, 68% said...
Guy Sues Over Hawaiian
Rolls Made in California
Jan 1, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Guy Sues Over Hawaiian Rolls Made in California
King's Hawaiian did originate in Hilo, but that was decades ago, New York's Robert Galinsky argues
- Truth in advertising is important to most people, but especially to Robert Galinsky. UPI reports that the Yonkers, NY, resident has filed a class-action lawsuit against King's Hawaiian, a maker of Hawaiian sweet rolls based in Torrance, Calif.—hence leading to Galinsky's complaint. In his suit, Galinsky...
Google+ Users, You
Could Be in the Money
Aug 5, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Google+ Users, You Could Be in the Money
About $12 worth in a class action lawsuit
- Former Google+ users could be eligible for a settlement due to leaked data, but go ahead and spend it all in one place because it's about $12. Americans who used the social media platform that was active between 2011 and 2019 have begun receiving emails announcing a $7.5...
Filing Opens in
Jul 13, 2020 5:55 PM CDT
Filing Opens in iPhone Settlement
Apple to pay about $25 to each owner who endured slowdown over battery issue
- Filing has opened for iPhone owners wanting their cash settlement over battery issues. Apple will pay about $25 to each owner under the settlement of a class-action lawsuit, MacRumors reports, after the manufacturer admitted slowing down older iPhones to head off shutdowns caused by degraded batteries. Apple's payments are...
Liberty University Accused
of Profiting Off Pandemic
Apr 15, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Liberty University Accused of Profiting Off Pandemic
Student sues in effort to have fees refunded
- A new lawsuit accuses Liberty University of profiting off the coronavirus pandemic by offering reduced services while refusing to refund student fees. The class-action suit—filed Monday by "Student A," who opted for anonymity "out of fear of retaliation and harassment"—claims Liberty allowed students to...
Zoom Hid Security
Apr 8, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Zoom Hid Security Flaws: Shareholder
Class-action lawsuit also claims unauthorized disclosure of personal info
- Shares in videoconferencing app Zoom hit record highs at the end of last month as COVID-19 forced people to work and socialize from home. Then came the drop, coinciding with concerns about " zoombombing " and other security and privacy issues. Another drop in stock price came Tuesday, with shares...
Lawsuits Mount Against
Popular Hair-Care Line
in case you missed it
Apr 5, 2020 2:50 PM CDT
Lawsuits Mount Against Popular Hair-Care Line
Users of DevaCurl say it makes their hair fall out
- DevaCurl products offering to tame frizzy hair have been "the focus and center" of the natural hair movement over the past two decades, Florida hair stylist Stephanie Mero tells NPR . Indeed, the
New York Times
describes a cult-like following by curly-haired women and men, some of whom used DevaCurl'...
Lays Everyone Off
Mar 23, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Staffer Sues After Bloomberg Lays Everyone Off
Donna Wood files proposed class-action suit
- Michael Bloomberg, from candidate to defendant? Maybe. Bloomberg had reportedly planned to pay presidential campaign staffers through the November election regardless of whether he made it to the finish line. The now-former candidate changed course on Friday, with the
New York Times
reporting that in lieu of that plan and...
Apple Settles Suit
for $25 per iPhone Owner
Mar 2, 2020 4:26 PM CST
Apple Settles Suit for $25 per iPhone Owner
Company slowed older phones to keep batteries going
- Owners of iPhones could receive $25 from Apple after the company agreed to pay up to $500 million to settle claims over intentionally slowing down older phones to preserve older batteries. Apple and lawyers representing iPhone consumers agreed to a deal stemming from Apple's 2017 admission that it was...
Baseball Is Being Sued—
by Fantasy Players
Feb 25, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Baseball Is Being Sued— by Fantasy Players
They say their bets were tainted by the Astros' cheating
- The MLB is urging a judge to dismiss a class-action lawsuit brought by five fans who say their fantasy baseball scores suffered because the Houston Astros stole signs . The plaintiffs are suing the MLB, MLB Advanced Media, the Astros, and the Boston Red Sox (also accused of stealing signs ),...
Jan 3, 2020 2:17 PM CST
Delta Workers Just Sued Lands' End
Class-action filing blames rashes, breathing issues on uniforms
- Hundreds of Delta Air Lines employees have filed a pair of class-action lawsuits against Wisconsin-based clothing manufacturer Lands' End, claiming that uniforms they are required to wear are causing serious medical problems. The first lawsuit against the Atlanta-based airline was filed in October with a second on Tuesday in federal...
Dec 3, 2019 11:25 AM CST
California Student Sues TikTok
Class-action suit says video-sharing app has 'vacuumed up' user data, sent to China
- In March or April of this year, Palo Alto college student Misty Hong says she downloaded the TikTok app, designed to create and share short videos. Now her complaints against the service have turned into a class-action lawsuit, alleging that TikTok has secretly taken user data and transferred it without...
Impossible Whopper Needs
Its Own Grill, Lawsuit Says
Nov 18, 2019 3:30 PM CST
Impossible Whopper Needs Its Own Grill, Lawsuit Says
Vegan customer says Burger King order came with meat residue
- Burger King has been hit with a class-action lawsuit arguing that the chain's Impossible Burger isn't the vegan sandwich it's advertised to be, because it's typically cooked on the same grills as meat. That means the Impossible comes with meat residue, which the menu doesn't...
Judge to Sheriff: You Can't Put
Signs in Sex Offenders' Yards
Oct 30, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Judge to Sheriff: You Can't Put Signs in Sex Offenders' Yards
Gary Long wanted to keep trick-or-treaters away from certain homes on Halloween
- A wrench has been thrown in a Georgia official's plan to keep kids away from sex offenders on Halloween. CNN reports that US District Court Judge Marc Treadwell issued a preliminary injunction for three plaintiffs who objected to Butts County Sheriff Gary Long's decision to place signs in...
Lawsuit: Fortnite Designed
to Be as Addictive as Cocaine
Oct 8, 2019 12:11 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Fortnite Designed to Be as Addictive as Cocaine
Could become class-action suit in Canada
- The maker of the wildly popular video game Fortnite is facing a new lawsuit that has nothing to do with dance moves . Addiction to the third-person shooter game "has real consequences on the lives of players, many of whom … do not eat, do not shower, and no longer...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.