Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Sued Over
Prince Harry's Visa
Jun 2, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
US Sued Over Prince Harry's Visa
Heritage Foundation raises questions of special treatment given his admitted drug use
- A conservative think tank is suing the US government, saying its granting of a visa to Prince Harry reeks of special treatment. The Heritage Foundation requested the release of the Duke of Sussex's immigration records in March, arguing the granting of the visa despite the prince's admission to...
Bolsonaro Asks to Stay Awhile
Jan 30, 2023 6:55 PM CST
Bolsonaro Asks to Stay Awhile
Former president, now in Florida, faces investigation in Brazil
- With investigations waiting for him at home, former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has asked to stay in the US for at least another six months. Bolsonaro flew to Florida in late December, after delivering a farewell address to the nation but before his successor, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, took...
Novak Djokovic Runs
Into Another Problem
Jan 11, 2022 11:21 AM CST
Novak Djokovic Runs Into Another Problem
Tennis star may have submitted false information on travel declaration before entering Australia
The Novak Djokovic saga continues. Australian officials are now investigating whether the tennis star submitted a bogus travel declaration before entering the country. Djokovic declared he hadn't traveled in the 14 days prior to arriving in Australia, but social media posts suggest he was in Spain and Serbia...
Credit Card Companies Jump
Ship After Pornhub Exposé
Dec 11, 2020 7:52 AM CST
Credit Card Companies Jump Ship After Pornhub Exposé
Mastercard won't do business with the porn site
- Startling allegations involving revenge porn and child abuse have companies reassessing their relationship with Pornhub, and at least one big credit card company is officially cutting ties. Per the BBC , Mastercard will block use of its cards on the Canada-based pornography site, saying in a statement, "Our investigation over...
Credit Card Company, Canada
Respond to Pornhub Claims
Dec 6, 2020 3:26 PM CST
Credit Card Company, Canada Respond to Pornhub Claims
The move comes after a scathing 'New York Times' column
- Looks like Mastercard isn't just letting the Pornhub allegations slide. Days after
New York Times
columnist Nicholas Kristof leveled accusations against the adult website—citing its alleged revenge pornography, child abuse, and footage of women being asphyxiated—Mastercard says it is investigating, Reuters reports. "If the claims are...
Has an Offer
in case you missed it
Jul 12, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Barbados Has an Offer for Foreigners
Island creating yearlong work visa—to lure remote workers during pandemic
- If you've been working from home during the pandemic, you may feel lucky to have a job, but maybe not as lucky to be staring at the same four walls every day without much human interaction.
Conde Nast Traveler
reports on a possible remedy, if you're willing to...
Planning an EU Trip? Starting
in 2021, You'll Need a Visa
Mar 9, 2019 8:40 AM CST
Planning an EU Trip? Starting in 2021, You'll Need a Visa
US citizens traveling to 26 countries in Schengen Area will need more than just a passport
- The luxury of hopping on a plane for a European holiday with just a passport in hand will soon be gone for US citizens. A European Union announcement on Friday notes that, starting in 2021, Americans will need to also have a visa if they want to travel to the...
Rapper Up for
Feb 3, 2019 5:01 PM CST
Rapper Up for 2 Grammys Nabbed by ICE Agents
21 Savage was arrested Sunday
- Grammy-nominated rapper 21 Savage was taken into federal immigration custody early Sunday, authorities said. The artist, whose given name is Sha Yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was arrested in a targeted operation in the Atlanta area involving local and federal law enforcement officers, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Bryan Cox said...
Report: Trump's Border Wall
Plan Has a Major Gap
Jan 17, 2019 6:08 AM CST
Report: Trump's Border Wall Plan Has a Major Gap
Most undocumented immigrants enter US legally, then overstay
- A new report from the Center for Migration Studies highlights a major flaw in President Trump's plan to curb illegal immigration with a border wall: Most undocumented immigrants arrive legally and overstay their visas. The center says that in 2016-2017, overstayers accounted for 62% of newly arrived undocumented immigrants,...
She Was Kidnapped and Killed.
Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
Dec 7, 2018 7:14 AM CST
She Was Kidnapped and Killed. Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
NC Gov. Roy Cooper hopes authorities will reconsider
- The father of a North Carolina teen who was abducted from outside her Lumberton home on Nov. 5 and whose body was found after a three-week search has been blocked from attending her Saturday funeral. Noé Aguilar—the Guatemalan father of 13-year-old Hania Aguilar—was immediately denied a temporary visa...
Leak Seems to Show Assange
Seeking Russian Visa in 2010
Sep 17, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Leak Seems to Show Assange Seeking Russian Visa in 2010
The AP has obtained tens of thousands of files related to WikiLeaks
- Julian Assange had just pulled off one of the biggest scoops in journalistic history, splaying the innards of American diplomacy across the web. But technology firms were cutting ties to his website, WikiLeaks, cable news pundits were calling for his head, and a Swedish sex-crime case was threatening to put...
US to Seek Social Media Details
From All Visa Applicants
Mar 30, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
US to Seek Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants
Plus email addresses and phone numbers
- The State Department wants to require all US visa applicants to submit their social media usernames, previous email addresses, and phone numbers, vastly expanding the Trump administration's enhanced vetting of potential immigrants and visitors, the AP reports. Previously, social media, email, and phone number histories were only sought from...
Turkey Halts Issuing Visas
for American Visitors
Oct 9, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Turkey Halts Issuing Visas for American Visitors
Alliance is going downhill fast after arrest of US Consulate staffer
- Relations between the US and its NATO ally Turkey are going downhill fast—and many travelers have been caught in the diplomatic crossfire. Both countries abruptly suspended the issuing of most visitor visas for each other Sunday in a tit-for-tat move apparently sparked by the arrest of an employee of...
Slain Girl's Father Pleads With
Trump for Visa for Funeral
Jul 21, 2017 3:16 PM CDT
Slain Girl's Father Pleads With Trump for Visa for Funeral
Kenroy Smith was deported for a drug offense 16 years ago
- The father of a slain New Jersey girl pleaded with President Trump to allow him and the girl's sister to attend the 11-year-old's funeral on Monday, the AP reports. "Please let me see my daughter for the last day before she goes under," Kenroy Smith told...
Under Tightened Visa Rules,
an Aunt Isn't a 'Close Relative'
Jun 29, 2017 4:14 AM CDT
Under Tightened Visa Rules, an Aunt Isn't a 'Close Relative'
Move affects refugees, citizens of 6 countries
- The Trump administration has set new criteria for visa applicants from six mainly Muslim nations and all refugees that require a "close" family or business tie to the United States. The move, which takes effect at 8pm Thursday, came after the Supreme Court partially restored an executive order from...
Trump Admin's Stricter Visa
Vetting Has Been Approved
Jun 3, 2017 11:58 AM CDT
Trump Admin's Stricter Visa Vetting Has Been Approved
New form asks for 5 years of social media history, 15 years of personal info
- A new questionnaire will ask US visa applicants for all social media handles used over the past five years and biographical information going back 15 years, including addresses, employment, where any travel funds came from, prior passport numbers, and more. The new questionnaire was approved for use by the Office...
'Golden Visa' Program Is
May 16, 2017 12:44 PM CDT
'Golden Visa' Program Is Booming—and Controversial
AP analysis finds that Chinese have spent at least $24 billion on them in the last decade
- When the sister of President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, promoted investment in her family's new skyscraper from a Beijing hotel ballroom stage earlier this month, she was pitching a controversial American visa program that's proven irresistible to tens of thousands of Chinese. More than 100,000...
Jailed 90 Minutes
After Visa Expired
May 2, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
Australian Man Jailed 90 Minutes After Visa Expired
Baxter Reid had been turned away at Canadian border
- The family of an Australian man says he's been jailed in the US because he got delayed at the Canadian border and missed a visa deadline by a measly 90 minutes or so. Baxter Reid was legally in the US on a five-year visa that stipulated he leave the...
Did Melania Break
in Her Modeling
Aug 4, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Did Melania Break Immigration Laws in Her Modeling Days?
Politico investigation raises questions that could cause her legal grief
New York Post
has been going to town publishing not-safe-for-work photos of Melania Trump from her early modeling days, but it's the timeline behind those images that's now raising more eyebrows. Politico backtracks through Trump's progression from Slovenian visitor to US citizen, noting dates that place...
Obama Made an
Error in Oval
Dec 7, 2015 5:03 AM CST
Obama Made an Error in Oval Office Speech
He misspoke on how San Bernardino shooting suspect entered the US
- In his Sunday night Oval Office address , President Obama may not have covered much new ground on overcoming terrorism, but he did note that he's seeking answers about how San Bernardino shooting suspect Tashfeen Malik ended up in the US. "I've ordered the departments of State and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.