Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 3, 2023 6:31 AM CST
Bills Player's Charity Flooded by Fans
Donations for Damar Hamlin's Chasing M's Foundation toy drive reach over $3.2M
- The charity of Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin has received more than $3.2 million in donations following his on-field collapse Monday. Hamlin had created a GoFundMe campaign , seeking $2,500 for the Chasing M's Foundation's third annual toy drive, to benefit Kelly and Nina's Daycare Center...
Bezos' Ex Is
He Is, Too
Nov 14, 2022 11:25 AM CST
Bezos' Ex Is Already Doing This. Now He Is, Too
After much criticism, Amazon founder says he plans on giving away most of his fortune in his lifetime
- If it wasn't clear what Jeff Bezos plans to eventually do with his amassed wealth, he's just offered some clarification. He's going to give away most of his $124 billion before he dies, he tells CNN , which notes this is the first time the Amazon founder has...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
Jul 31, 2022 6:03 AM CDT
Prince Charles Charity Has Another Controversy
It took money from family of Osama bin Laden, and report says prince himself brokered deal
- Prince Charles is enduring another batch of negative headlines related to one of his charities, this time over a link to an infamous name. The UK
Times of London
revealed this weekend that the Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund accepted about $1.2 million in 2013 from the family...
in case you missed it
May 15, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
BBC's 'Bowel Babe' Blown Away by Damehood
Deborah James awarded for charity efforts days after announcing she was in hospice care
Deborah James' days are limited. But recent ones have been remarkable. The host of the BBC podcast "You, Me, and the Big C," now in hospice care with bowel cancer, was awarded damehood Thursday as her campaign to raise money for cancer research, started just four days...
From Elon Musk,
a $5.7B Gift
Feb 15, 2022 8:36 AM CST
From Elon Musk, a $5.7B Gift
SEC filing indicates Musk donated 5M Tesla shares to unidentified charity or charities in November
- Elon Musk kicked off the holiday season at the end of last year with a rather large gift: about $5.7 billion in Tesla shares, donated to an unidentified charity or charities. CNN Business reports that the comped 5,044,000 shares, presented between Nov. 19 and Nov. 29, were...
Jan 27, 2022 7:00 PM CST
Chiefs Fans Redirect Donations to Buffalo
Gifts change direction when Kansas City learns about Bills fans' tradition of giving
- Their team was 6 points better than Buffalo on Sunday, but Kansas City Chiefs fans are nonetheless taking a page out of the Bills' playbook. Buffalo's fans have a tradition of donating en masse to a charity chosen by their opponent. After the Chiefs' wild 42-36 playoff win Sunday...
India Cracks Down on
Mother Teresa's Charity
Dec 28, 2021 7:56 AM CST
India Cracks Down on Mother Teresa's Charity
Amid rising anti-Christian sentiment, India bars Missionaries of Charity from foreign funding
- On Christmas Day in India came a move that some say is the result of rising anti-Christian sentiment. On Saturday, the Hindu-majority nation refused to renew the license that allowed for funding from abroad for Missionaries of Charity, the group founded by Mother Teresa that runs nun-managed shelters and other...
St. Jude's Has Billions, and
ProPublica Isn't Sure It Should
Nov 20, 2021 10:40 AM CST
St. Jude's Has Billions, and ProPublica Isn't Sure It Should
Site argues the charity has overly huge reserves as some of its families struggle financially
- ProPublica's stated mission is to investigate "abuses of power," which might make its deep dive into St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital seem confusing at first. Why would it be digging into what it describes as the "most highly regarded health care charity in the...
Bezos' $500K Donation
Met With Groans
Nov 17, 2021 9:07 AM CST
Bezos' $500K Donation Met With Groans
Baby2Baby donation from world's second-richest man fell flat: Page Six
- Celebrities including Jeff Bezos raised $8.5 million for Baby2Baby, a nonprofit that provides diapers and other necessities to children living in poverty, at its 10th annual gala in Los Angeles on Saturday, per
. But if Bezos was expecting a pat on the back for his $500,000...
One State Is
the Stingiest of All
Nov 9, 2021 5:00 PM CST
One State Is the Stingiest of All
New Mexico ranks last in the ranking of generous states
- Some locales are more generous than others, and WalletHub has ranked the states with metrics that include not just monetary donations but the volunteer rate and number of food banks. Here are the 10 most generous states (congrats, Utah), followed by the least generous (sorry, New Mexico):
Utah, with an
Marathon Course Goof Leads
to Debate About Real Winner
Sep 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Marathon Course Goof Leads to Debate About Real Winner
Brighton Marathon organizers apologize after cone line was placed incorrectly
- A marathon runner who runs an extra half-kilometer might be proud. Then again, a runner winning at the 26.2-mile mark, where the finish line should be, might be more than a little annoyed if that extra distance gives another runner a chance to pass and win. Sunday’s Brighton...
Comic Strip Characters
Ditching Their Pants on Friday
May 5, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Comic Strip Characters Ditching Their Pants on Friday
Comic strip artists to celebrate No Pants Day in a way that helps charities
- Fans of newspaper comics will instantly notice something missing in many of the strips this Friday—pants. More than 25 cartoonists behind strips from "Blondie" to "Zippy the Pinhead" are celebrating the quirky holiday No Pants Day in a way that helps charities get clothing to those in...
Meme Is Now
Jan 23, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Bernie's Mittens Meme Is Now Raising Money for Charity
Senator's campaign is using viral pic on sweatshirt, with proceeds going toward Vt.'s Meals on Wheels
- The Bernie Sanders memes taking over the internet , showing him seated at President Biden's inauguration while wearing a pair of bulky artisan mittens, have now been appropriated by Sanders himself—for a good cause.
reports that the Vermont senator's campaign has snatched up the photo taken...
Gets Help From
Some Big Names
Dec 9, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Cyndi Lauper's Youth Benefit Gets Help From Some Big Names
Billie Eilish, Dolly Parton, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift, Cher join annual homelessness event
- Taylor Swift, Cher, Billie Eilish, LL Cool J, and Dolly Parton are adding their voices to Cyndi Lauper's annual concert to combat youth homelessness, an issue the "True Colors" singer says has only gotten worse during the pandemic. "You can say, 'Stay home, protect yourself.'...
Pringles Mascot Gets a
Body Thanks to John Oliver
Dec 9, 2020 11:43 AM CST
Pringles Mascot Gets a Body Thanks to John Oliver
And Feeding America gets $20K
- John Oliver has spent more time than anyone really should spend wondering what the body of the Pringles mascot looks like. He discussed some possibilities before
Last Week Tonight
went on hiatus, per the
, then released a web exclusive video on Sunday in which he showcased viewers' drawings...
Here Are the Most
Giving States in America
Nov 16, 2020 8:21 AM CST
Here Are the Most Giving States in America
People there come together to help others through charity, volunteerism
- Between charitable giving—last year, US donors ponied up nearly $450 billion for charity—and volunteerism, Americans keep opening up their wallets and their schedules to help those who are less fortunate. WalletHub wanted to see which states were especially benevolent, so it examined stats from all 50, looking at...
Reunites a Famous Couple
Sep 18, 2020 11:14 AM CDT
Reading Reunites a Famous Couple
Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt have a steamy scene
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston have reunited for the second time this year, and this time, it was all about love—between their characters. The pair joined fellow celebrities for a live, virtual table read of the 1982 cult classic
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
, hosted by comedian Dane Cook....
Protesters Just Got 'Substantial'
Boost From Colin Kaepernick
Jun 20, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Protesters Just Got 'Substantial' Boost From Colin Kaepernick
NFL free agent's charity to help pay legal costs for those who broke curfew in Minnesota, elsewhere
- Soon after protests over the killing of George Floyd started sweeping the nation, Colin Kaepernick set up the Know Your Rights Camp Legal Defense Initiative , via his charity , to coordinate "with top defense lawyers and civil rights lawyers nationwide to provide legal resources for those in need." Now,...
She Got a Raffle Ticket as
a Gift, Now Owns a Picasso
May 21, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
She Got a Raffle Ticket as a Gift, Now Owns a Picasso
Italian woman wins $1.1M painting in charity raffle
- An Italian woman is the new owner of a century-old painting by Pablo Picasso, worth $1.1 million—but she didn't buy it. The unidentified woman won 1921's "Nature Morte"—a small oil painting depicting a glass of absinthe and a newspaper on a table—in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.