Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nearly 10% of Us
Have No Close Friends
Oct 26, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Nearly 10% of Us Have No Close Friends
New Pew survey finds having such pals in our corner is crucial to living a satisfying life
- Your partner, kids, and how much you've got in the bank are all key to living a satisfying life—but not as much as having friends you can rely on, according to a new survey. The April poll of 5,000-plus US adults released earlier this month from the...
US Preps Mass Evacuation
of Americans From Mideast
Oct 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
US Preps Mass Evacuation of Americans From Mideast
Report comes as Israel's bombardment of Gaza escalates
- Israel has significantly ramped up its airstrikes on Gaza in anticipation of a ground invasion, with the military saying it has hit more than 720 targets in the last two days, reports the
New York Times
. The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry, meanwhile, said it logged more than 700 Palestinian deaths...
Kidnapped in 2016,
US Aid Worker Is Freed
Mar 20, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Kidnapped in 2016, US Aid Worker Is Freed
Jeff Woodke was held hostage in Niger by unknown group
- An American aid worker who was kidnapped in the West African nation of Niger more than six years ago has been released from custody, the Biden administration said Monday. "I'm gratified & relieved to see the release of U.S. hostage Jeff Woodke after over 6 years in...
Texas Sisters Went Missing
in Mexico Last Month
Mar 11, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Texas Sisters Went Missing in Mexico Last Month
2 siblings, friend who vanished haven't had as much publicity as 4 Americans abducted last week
- Two sisters from Texas and a friend are missing in Mexico after they crossed the border last month to sell clothes at a flea market, US authorities said Friday. The abduction of four Americans in Mexico that was caught on video last week received an avalanche of attention and was...
in Mexico Identified
Mar 7, 2023 6:52 AM CST
Americans Kidnapped in Mexico Identified
Relatives say 4 friends from Carolinas had traveled to Mexico so one could get a medical procedure
- More details are emerging on the abduction of four Americans who crossed into Mexico from Brownsville, Texas, on Friday. CBS News , which confirms from US officials that one "innocent" Mexican citizen was killed by gunmen during the kidnapping in Matamoros, has identified the Americans as Latavia "Tay" McGee,...
What We Know
Mar 6, 2023 11:57 AM CST
What We Know About Americans Abducted in Mexico
4 people in van with North Carolina plates are missing, reportedly went there to buy medicine
- Details remain scant Monday about the fate of four Americans who were abducted in Mexico late last week. A look at what's currently known:
The FBI did not release details about who they are or where they were going. However, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador
Imprisoned in Iran,
He Has Message
Jan 16, 2023 7:49 AM CST
Imprisoned in Iran, He Has Message for Biden
American Siamak Namazi slams Biden, Trump, Obama for failing to secure his release since 2015
- Three Americans have been wrongfully detained in Iran for years, and one of them is now taking desperate measures to gain President Biden's attention. CNN reports that Siamak Namazi, an Iranian-American oil executive who was taken into custody during a visit to Tehran in late 2015, has embarked on...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
US Fighter Captured in
Ukraine Speaks—Freely or Not
Jul 12, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
US Fighter Captured in Ukraine Speaks—Freely or Not
Alexander Drueke 'doing fine' in solitary confinement, though with supposed regrets
- One of two US fighters captured in Ukraine says he's "doing fine" despite facing possible execution . Alexander Drueke, a US Army veteran from Alabama, spoke with his mother in a Friday phone call shared with the
by his family. It was their fifth call since Drueke...
2 US Fighters Feared
Captured by Russia
Jun 16, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
2 US Fighters Feared Captured by Russia
They reportedly vanished while fighting near the Ukraine-Russia border on June 9
- Two US military veterans from Alabama are thought to be the first Americans captured by Russia while fighting for Ukraine. Alexander Drueke, 39, from Tuscaloosa, formerly of the US Army, and Andy Tai Ngoc Huynh, 27, from Hartselle, formerly of the Marine Corps, volunteered to assist in the war effort...
New Data Sheds
Light on Adults
Who Say They're
Jun 9, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
New Data Sheds Light on Adults Who Say They're Transgender
More than 5% of those surveyed between ages of 18 and 29 identify as trans or nonbinary, per Pew
- According to new data from the Pew Research Center , more people than ever before say they identify as or know someone who's transgender (meaning their gender doesn't match the sex they were assigned at birth) or nonbinary, meaning someone who doesn't identify within the confines of just...
Canada Opens Its Arms to
May 5, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Canada Opens Its Arms to Abortion-Seeking Americans
'That's a service that would be provided,' families and children minister Karina Gould said Tuesday
- With Roe v. Wade apparently on the cusp of being overturned , Americans who may soon see their abortion access denied will have at least one other option, though depending on where they live, it could be a pretty distant one. On Tuesday, Karina Gould, Canada's minister of families, children,...
Most Americans Don't Want
a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Apr 27, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Most Americans Don't Want a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Majority are against bringing dinosaurs back from extinction, if that were an option, per YouGov poll
- If you've ever fantasized about a world in which T. rex once more roamed the Earth, you're in a small minority. YouGov recently surveyed 2,000 American adults on how they felt about helping save endangered species, or even bringing back extinct ones, and the majority answered that...
CDC: Majority of American
Adults Have Had COVID
Apr 27, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
CDC: Majority of American Adults Have Had COVID
Number is even higher for kids: 75% of children 11 and younger have antibodies for virus
- Nearly 60% of Americans show infection-related antibodies—meaning not antibodies produced by a vaccine—in their blood, per a survey by the CDC released Tuesday. That reflects the time period from December to February, reports the
New York Times
. But for children ages 11 and younger, that figure is even...
Final Post of American Killed
in Ukraine: No Way Out
Mar 18, 2022 10:09 AM CDT
Final Post of American Killed in Ukraine: No Way Out
Jim Hill wouldn't leave his Ukrainian partner, who is battling MS
- Jim Hill spent half of his time in the US and the other half in Ukraine, caring for his partner of more than a decade, who suffers from multiple sclerosis. It was his love for Ira that took him two hours north of Kyiv to Chernihiv, where he had found...
Couple Who Went
to Ukraine for Baby
Make Harrowing Escape
Mar 1, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Couple Who Went to Ukraine for Baby Make Harrowing Escape
Jessie and Jacob Boeckmann and their newborn are now safe, but their surrogate isn't
- Among the estimated 500,000 people to have fled Ukraine are a US couple and their newborn, who very nearly failed to escape as a family after a 39-hour ordeal, per the
Orange County Register
. Arkansas natives Jessie and Jacob Boeckmann, who now live in Costa Mesa, Calif., knew it...
Reported Secret CIA Program
Sees Pushback: 'It Is Not OK'
Feb 12, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Reported Secret CIA Program Sees Pushback: 'It Is Not OK'
Edward Snowden, civil rights advocates slam initiative that reportedly scooped up Americans' info
- Facebook isn't the only entity you might need to worry about when it comes to your personal data. According to two lawmakers on the Senate Intelligence Committee, the CIA has been secretly scooping up info en masse on Americans, and civil liberties activists aren't happy about it. News...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
US Tourists Pick Wrong Place
to Have 5:30am Beer in Rome
Nov 17, 2021 12:30 PM CST
US Tourists Pick Wrong Place to Have 5:30am Beer in Rome
The Colosseum is neither a bar, nor open at that hour
- Two American tourists, chatting over a beer in Rome. Unremarkable. That it happened at 5:30am is a little odder. That they allegedly broke into the Colosseum and threw one back there is downright strange—and, as you might imagine, illegal. The
reports the 24- and 25-year-old men were...
Europe to Welcome
Back US Tourists
Jun 16, 2021 1:03 PM CDT
Europe to Welcome Back US Tourists
Ban on nonessential travel to lift Friday, with conditions set by individual countries
- Good news for those planning a summer vacation in Europe: The European Union will add the United States to its safe travel list on Friday, lifting a ban on nonessential travelers that has been in place through much of the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports. Nonessential travel from the UK...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.