Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kellogg Strikers Are
Going Back to Work
Dec 21, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Kellogg Strikers Are Going Back to Work
Union says they got a great deal after 11-week strike
- After more than two months, the Kellogg strike is officially over—and workers got a deal Tony the Tiger might describe as grrreat, according to the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers International Union. The union says workers voted Sunday to ratify a deal announced last week and will...
Redditors Clog Kellogg's Job
Portal, in Solidarity With Strike
Dec 11, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Redditors Clog Kellogg's Job Portal, in Solidarity With Strike
Company has said it plans to replace striking workers with new applicants
Kellogg's plan to replace striking workers with new applicants just got more complicated. People on Reddit and TikTok sympathetic to the striking workers are spamming the company's job-application portal, reports the Hill . "It's time to clog their toilet of an application pipeline," reads a...
Kaiser, Unions Reach
Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Nov 14, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Kaiser, Unions Reach Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Strike was scheduled to begin Monday
: Kaiser Permanente and a group of unions have reached a tentative agreement on a four-year contract, averting a strike by employees in eight states. The deal reached Saturday includes pay raises and drops Kaiser's plan for a two-tiered wage system, the
New York Times
reports, that would pay...
UAW Members to Vote
Again on Ending Deere Strike
Nov 13, 2021 3:15 PM CST
UAW Members to Vote Again on Ending Deere Strike
10K workers have been off the job for a month
- For the third time, Deere & Co. and United Auto Workers negotiators have agreed on tentative contract that could end a monthlong strike. The new deal, announced Friday night, makes changes to the proposal UAW members rejected on Nov. 2, the
New York Times
reports, by a 55%-45% margin. That...
Last-Minute Deal Keeps
Oct 17, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Last-Minute Deal Keeps Hollywood Working
Entertainment workers were poised to strike
- An 11th-hour deal was reached Saturday, averting a strike of film and television crews that would have seen some 60,000 behind-the-scenes workers walk off their jobs and would have frozen productions in Hollywood and across the U.S. After days of marathon negotiations, representatives from the International Alliance of...
Film, TV Workers
in Favor of Strike
Oct 4, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Film, TV Workers Vote Overwhelmingly in Favor of Strike
Productions will halt if progress isn't made in IATSE's contract talks
- Film and TV production in Hollywood and beyond could soon be grinding to an indefinite halt. The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees voted overwhelmingly in favor of strike action Monday, Deadline reports. The union says the strike, the first in its 128-year history, was approved by a near unanimous...
After 20-Day Strike, Frito-Lay
Is Ending 'Suicide Shifts'
Jul 27, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
After 20-Day Strike, Frito-Lay Is Ending 'Suicide Shifts'
Workers at Kansas plant will get one guaranteed day off per week
- When the chips were down, Frito-Lay decided to meet a key demand of striking workers and guarantee them one day off a week. The company and the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers union reached an agreement over the weekend to end a 20-day strike at a Topeka, Kansas,...
The Rent Is Due.
May 1, 2020 11:56 AM CDT
The Rent Is Due. Now What?
Rent strikes being organized around the nation, but 'mom and pop' landlords struggling, too
- The new month has arrived, which means the rent is due for millions of Americans. Combine that with off-the-charts unemployment and it adds up to misery not just for tenants but for many landlords, too. While many states and the federal government have put protections into place to stop evictions...
Now Walking Out:
Grocery, Delivery Workers
Mar 31, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
Now Walking Out: Grocery, Delivery Workers
Workers at Instacart, Amazon, Whole Foods want hazard pay, protective gear, sick time
- Grocery and delivery workers are doing some of the most potentially dangerous jobs in America during the coronavirus outbreak and they are demanding better pay and protection. Amazon workers at a New York City warehouse walked off the job Monday and Instacart workers held strikes nationwide, reports the
Tens of Thousands
Protest in France
Dec 5, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Tens of Thousands Protest in France
Strike shuts down much of the country over plan to overhaul retirement system
- Paris police fired tear gas at demonstrators Thursday as the Eiffel Tower shut down, France’s high-speed trains stood still and tens of thousands marched nationwide in a strike over the government’s plan to overhaul the retirement system. At least 87 protesters were arrested in the French capital by...
OK 'Historic' Deal
Nov 16, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Chicago Teachers OK 'Historic' Deal
Among other things, teachers get a 16% raise
- Chicago teachers on Friday approved the contract deal that ended an 11-day strike and includes pay raises, $35 million to enforce limits on class sizes, and a pledge to supply each school with a nurse and a social worker, the AP reports. The Chicago Teachers Union’s 25,000 members...
GM, Workers Hit a Big Snag
—and Mexico Plays a Role
Oct 6, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
GM, Workers Hit a Big Snag —and Mexico Plays a Role
United Auto Workers want commitments for US factories
- Contract talks aimed at ending a 21-day strike by the United Auto Workers against General Motors have taken a turn for the worse, hitting a big snag over product commitments for US factories, a union official wrote in an email to members, the AP reports. The letter from UAW Vice...
GOP Is in a Bind on One Issue
Sep 21, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
GOP Is in a Bind on One Issue
That issue involves striking General Motors workers
- Democrats were quick to back working-class United Auto Workers in their strike against General Motors, delivering doughnuts and holding picket signs outside factories to show solidarity. It's a union they long have aligned with politically. There were no doughnuts from Republicans, the AP reports. Led by President Donald Trump,...
NYC to 1.1M Students: OK to
Skip School to Protest Today
Sep 20, 2019 6:31 AM CDT
NYC to 1.1M Students: OK to Skip School to Protest Today
Protesters in 150 countries are expected to demonstrate, including activist Greta Thunberg
- A global warning on global warming is taking place Friday, via protests hitting major cities worldwide. What organizers hope to make "the largest climate strike in history" will happen in 150 countries, reports NBC News , and is planned as a lead-in to Monday's UN Climate Summit in New...
49K Striking Auto Workers
Shut Down 33 Plants
Sep 16, 2019 4:51 AM CDT
49K Striking Auto Workers Shut Down 33 Plants
UAW workers strike against GM
- More than 49,000 members of the United Auto Workers walked off General Motors factory floors or set up picket lines early Monday as contract talks with the company deteriorated into a strike. Workers shut down 33 manufacturing plants in nine states across the US, as well as 22 parts...
49K Auto Workers
to Strike by Midnight
Sep 15, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
49K Auto Workers to Strike by Midnight
Negotiations break down between the United Auto Workers union and General Motors
- The United Auto Workers union announced that its roughly 49,000 members at General Motors plants in the US will go on strike Sunday night because contract negotiations with the automaker had broken down, the AP reports. The decision came after about 200 plant-level union leaders voted unanimously in favor...
British Airways Has to
'Cancel Nearly 100%' of Flights
Sep 9, 2019 1:54 AM CDT
British Airways Has to 'Cancel Nearly 100%' of Flights
Pilots are striking for 48 hours amid pay dispute
- British Airways says it has had to cancel almost all flights Monday and Tuesday as a result of a pilots' 48-hour strike over pay. In a statement Monday, the airline said it had "no way of predicting how many (pilots) would come to work or which aircraft they are...
Alyssa Milano Defends
Her Controversial Idea
May 14, 2019 9:34 AM CDT
Alyssa Milano Defends Her Controversial Idea
Actress taking flak for her 'sex strike' proposal in response to Georgia abortion law
- Georgia's new "heartbeat bill," as well as other laws around the country targeting abortion rights, has created a whole new maelstrom swirling around a very vocal TV star. Last week,
actress Alyssa Milano went online to propose women go on a "sex strike" to protest...
Expect Fewer Ubers
on the Road Today
May 8, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Expect Fewer Ubers on the Road Today
Drivers striking ahead of company's IPO debut
- Uber drivers from Australia to the UK, including in at least 10 US cities, are logging off the app Wednesday to protest the company's Friday IPO offering. With Uber's expected $90 billion valuation, drivers say investors stand to get rich, while they struggle with low pay, limited benefits,...
Couple Made Laxative
Cookies for Striking Workers
Apr 13, 2019 9:32 AM CDT
Couple Made Laxative Cookies for Striking Workers
The Ohio couple faces several charges
- Police say a couple made laxative-laced cookies for striking school employees because they were tired of the noise from the picket line near their home, the AP reports. Authorities in eastern Ohio say none of the striking workers ate the sugar cookies, but the couple was charged with contaminating the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.