Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Did NPR Reporter's
Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Sep 25, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
What Did NPR Reporter's Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Politico essay examines journalist Nina Totenberg's longtime relationship with Supreme Court justice
- Nina Totenberg, a longtime correspondent for NPR, has a new memoir out, and it delves into her storied 40-year relationship with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Dinners With Ruth
examines Totenberg's conflict as she watched her old friend's health decline in 2020, and on the complexities of being...
Iraq Reports Made Him Famous
Sep 8, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
His Cool-Under-Pressure Iraq Reports Made Him Famous
Bernard Shaw, CNN's first chief anchor, has died at age 82
- Bernard Shaw, CNN's chief anchor for two decades and a pioneering Black broadcaster best remembered for calmly reporting the beginning of the Gulf War in 1991 as missiles flew around him in Baghdad, has died at 82. He died of pneumonia on Wednesday at a hospital in Washington, according...
During Mass Shooting:
'Memphis Is Tired'
Sep 8, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Emotional Reporter During Mass Shooting: 'Memphis Is Tired'
Meanwhile, Ezekiel Kelly has been charged with murder in spree that left 4 dead, 3 injured
- Joyce Peterson spent much of Wednesday evening into early Thursday reporting on a shocking, daylong Memphis shooting spree that left four dead , three wounded, and one man finally in custody . But one of the Action News 5 reporter's on-air segments in particular is drawing attention, as she became emotional...
Journo Gunned Down After
Mention of Missing Students
Aug 23, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Journo Gunned Down After Mention of Missing Students
Fredid Roman found dead in Mexico, after alleging local pols' involvement in students' disappearance
- On Monday, a Mexican journalist reported online about what's acknowledged to be one of his country's "worst human-rights disasters," per NDTV —the disappearance of 43 Mexican college students in 2014. Later Monday, the reporter, Fredid "Fredy" Roman, was fatally gunned down, per the local...
Ted Cruz Interview
on Uvalde Doesn't
Go Too Well
May 27, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
Texas senator storms off after UK reporter asks him why America has so many mass shootings
- Politicians are making the rounds to express their thoughts on Tuesday's mass shooting in Texas that left 21 dead, but Ted Cruz's most recent interview didn't go exactly as planned, at least not from his perspective. After a vigil for the victims on Wednesday, the GOP senator,...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Fox News Correspondent
Who Survived Attack Is 'Alert'
Mar 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Fox News Correspondent Who Survived Attack Is 'Alert'
Benjamin Hall has been removed from Ukraine
"It's been a couple of heavy days around here," Fox News' Bill Hemmer told viewers Wednesday, before providing "a dose of good news": Correspondent Benjamin Hall, who was injured in Ukraine on Monday, has been safely removed from the country. "Ben is alert and...
World Can't Get
Enough of Visit From
Feb 24, 2022 7:33 AM CST
World Can't Get Enough of Visit From Reporter's Mom
Clip of Myles Harris' mom driving by as he's in the field in Ohio has gone viral
- It wasn't "Bring Your Mom to Work Day" in Ohio on Tuesday, but Myles Harris' mother decided to drop by anyway—and their encounter has now gone viral, "striking a chord with parents and their children alike," per the
. Harris is a local TV news...
This Reporter's News Coverage
Prompted Marriage Proposals
Feb 22, 2022 11:06 AM CST
This Reporter's News Coverage Prompted Marriage Proposals
Philip Crowther's 6-language fluency while reporting on Russia-Ukraine crisis impressed many
- You'd think a person would be tripping over their words with six different languages bouncing around in their head. Not so for journalist Philip Crowther, who showed the world Monday just how eloquent he could be while covering the Russia-Ukraine crisis in English, Luxembourgish, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German....
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
Shocker: 'I Just Got
Hit by a Car!'
Jan 20, 2022 7:00 PM CST
Reporter's On-Air Shocker: 'I Just Got Hit by a Car!'
Tori Yorgey of West Virginia's WSAZ was OK after the incident and kept reporting
- A young reporter for a West Virginia TV station had a close call Wednesday night that brought in praise for her resilience, as well as criticism for a colleague. Per the
, 25-year-old Tori Yorgey of WSAZ was about to do a live report in Charleston about a water...
Man Steals Reporter's Phone,
Has Face Seen by Millions
Oct 21, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Man Steals Reporter's Phone, Has Face Seen by Millions
Egyptian man was arrested hours later
- A Cairo-area reporter had his phone grabbed from his hands by a thief on a motorbike, but it wasn't exactly the perfect crime—the reporter had been livestreaming a broadcast at the time, and the thief's face was seen by millions. The Youm7 news site says its reporter,...
Report Goes Viral
Oct 15, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Journalist's Skateboarding Report Goes Viral
Detroit's Victor Williams gives it a personal touch
- A new skate park in Detroit is offering free lessons, and suddenly a
of people know about it. The reason? WDIV journalist Victor Williams' report from the skate park has gone viral—because he delivered it live while showing off his own skateboarding skills, reports the
Memoir Opens Up
Can of Worms
on RBG Interview
Oct 15, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
Katie Couric Memoir Opens Up Can of Worms on RBG Interview
Journalist admits she edited out controversial remark on athletes who kneel to 'protect' Ginsburg
- Katie Couric's memoir
is due out Oct. 26, though where she went within its pages has started a journalistic ethics firestorm. The controversy centers on a 2016 interview Couric had with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, in which the Supreme Court justice, who died in September 2020, made some...
Reporter Says Paper Took
Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Jul 22, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Reporter Says Paper Took Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Felicia Sonmez says editors told her coverage would be a conflict of interest
- Washington Post politics reporter Felicia Sonmez has sued the paper and several of its current and former editors, the AP reports, saying she was discriminated against as a victim of sexual assault. In a suit filed Wednesday in DC Superior Court, Sonmez said she was not allowed to report on...
Murdered Journalist Aided
in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Jul 15, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Murdered Journalist Aided in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Family announces death of Peter R. de Vries, adviser to a witness in the trial of Ridouan Taghi
- Peter R. de Vries, the renowned Dutch crime reporter shot last week in a brazen attack in Amsterdam , has died, Dutch media reported Thursday. "Peter fought to the end, but was unable to win the battle," RTL, the Dutch network that de Vries regularly worked for, cited a...
Famous Crime Reporter
Shot on Amsterdam Street
Jul 6, 2021 5:46 PM CDT
Famous Crime Reporter Shot on Amsterdam Street
Peter R. de Vries hospitalized in serious condition
- One of the best-known crime reporters in the Netherlands is now a crime victim. Peter R. de Vries, 64, was gunned down on a street in Amsterdam's city center Tuesday evening and has been hospitalized in serious condition, the BBC reports. Witnesses told Dutch media that at least five...
AP Admits It Mishandled
Firing of Young Reporter
May 27, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
AP Admits It Mishandled Firing of Young Reporter
Emily Wilder's dismissal over social media posts forces a reckoning on policy
- The Associated Press hired a young journalist out of Stanford at the beginning of this month, then fired her about two weeks later. But this was no ordinary personnel issue, and the dismissal of 22-year-old Emily Wilder is forcing a heated discussion in the industry about how news organizations handle...
at Response to
Feb 5, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Staff Miffed at Response to Reporter's Alleged Racist Remarks
Paper's leadership vows 'results' on Donald McNeil, said to have used n-word
- Last month, the
New York Times
found itself embroiled in controversy after dropping journalist Lauren Wolfe . Now a new controversy, this time involving a different reporter, has staff demanding action. It started last week when the Daily Beast reported high-profile health and science veteran Donald McNeil Jr. allegedly used racist...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.