Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 States Head Into Emergency
Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Oct 26, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
2 States Head Into Emergency Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Severe weather could pound parts of New York, New Jersey for next several days
- As California starts to pull out of the combo bomb cyclone/atmospheric river that slammed parts of the state over the weekend into Monday, residents on the opposite coast are now dealing with their own severe weather. The governors of both New York and New Jersey have declared states of emergency...
Crazy Storm System in Italy
Washes Away Rainfall Records
Oct 7, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Crazy Storm System in Italy Washes Away Rainfall Records
More than 2 feet of rain fell on town in 12 hours
- Climate change is making some areas much drier and others much wetter—and Genoa province in northwest Italy was definitely in the latter category this week. A complex of slow-moving thunderstorms stalled over the area this week, dropping around 36 inches of rain on the town of Rossiglione in a...
Jul 23, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Dubai Tires of Waiting for Rainfall
Project brings downpours in UAE by hitting clouds with electrical charges
- The recent downpours in the United Arab Emirates seemed a little unreal; the country only receives about 4 inches of rain per year. It turns out they weren't quite natural: Scientists have hit clouds with electronic charges to force rainfall during a heat wave that's often pushed temperatures...
Very Thirsty Southwest Is
About to Get a Cool Drink
Jan 20, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Very Thirsty Southwest Is About to Get a Cool Drink
Record rainfall expected in some parts of drought-stricken California, Nevada, Arizona
- Residents in the Southwest have wished for rain for some time, and they're likely going to see that wish granted. CNN notes that 70% of the region has been suffering from severe drought—Las Vegas, for example, has only had two episodes of rain over the last 273 days....
After 2 Dams Fail,
Mich. Gov. Warns
of 9 Feet of Water
May 20, 2020 6:40 AM CDT
After 2 Dams Fail, Mich. Gov. Warns of 9 Feet of Water
Whitmer urges thousands in affected areas of Midland County in Michigan to evacuate
- Two dams have failed in a Michigan county, leading the state's governor to declare a state of emergency and issue dire warnings to residents to evacuate affected areas. AccuWeather reports that the Edenville and Sanford dams in Midland County breached Tuesday night after heavy rains and flash flooding, and...
Scientists: We Know Why
Kilauea Got Triggered
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
Scientists: We Know Why Kilauea Got Triggered
Theory suggests heavy rain increased pore pressure, but other scientists are doubtful
- Climate change could usher in more volcanic eruptions, according to new research focusing on the 2018 Kilauea eruptions in Hawaii. The research published Wednesday in
suggests the Kilauea eruptions were triggered by months of extreme rainfall, which included a 24-hour period that set a US record. The idea is...
Has a Bizarre
Mar 14, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Megaplanet Has a Bizarre Weather Forecast
Just be glad you're not on Wasp-76b
- At one hot, faraway world, it's always cloudy with a chance of iron rain. That's the otherworldly forecast from Swiss and other European astronomers who have detected clouds full of iron droplets at a hot Jupiterlike planet 390 light-years away, the AP reports. This mega planet is so...
Noah's Ark Replica Owners
Sue Over Rain Damage
May 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Noah's Ark Replica Owners Sue Over Rain Damage
Owners of Ark Encounter say insurers need to pay up
- Don't confuse the original Noah's Ark with the Ark Encounter—only the latter is suing its insurers over rain damage, CNN reports. The Kentucky attraction, which boasts a $120 million replica of the biblical ark, was affected when heavy rainfall in 2017 and 2018 caused a landslide on...
Weird Thing Killed
Aug 11, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Weird Thing Killed Roman Emperors
Study links rainfall to the murders of Rome's leaders
- Roman emperors not only had war, jealousy, and political infighting to worry about—there was also the rain. A new study linking climate data to Roman history finds that lower average rainfall boosted the odds of an emperor being murdered during the empire's roughly 500-year run, from 27 BCE...
Massive Storm in Hawaii
May Be a Record-Breaker
Apr 27, 2018 4:52 PM CDT
Massive Storm in Hawaii May Be a Record-Breaker
Island of Kauai gets nearly 50 inches in a 24-hour soaker
- One of the most beautiful places on earth was not exactly a paradise earlier this month. Nature pummeled the Hawaiian island of Kauai with nearly 50 inches of rain April 14 to 15, unofficially blowing out the current US record of 43 inches in Alvin, Texas, in 1979, reports the...
Fish Fall From Sky
With Rain in Mexico
Sep 28, 2017 7:31 PM CDT
Fish Fall From Sky With Rain in Mexico
It's a phenomenon that has been reported since ancient times
- Civil defense officials in northeast Mexico say a light rain was accompanied by small fish that fell from the sky, the AP reports. Tamaulipas civil defense says in a brief statement that rain Tuesday in the coastal city of Tampico included fish. Photos posted on the agency's Facebook page...
4 Fort Hood Soldiers'
Jun 4, 2016 5:19 AM CDT
4 Fort Hood Soldiers' Bodies Found
Army death count reaches 9 in Texas disaster
- The Army says the bodies of four missing Fort Hood soldiers whose truck was swept away in a rain-swollen creek during training have been found, bringing the total dead to nine, the AP reports. Maj. Gen. John Uberti says the last bodies were found Friday, a day after the 2½...
One of the Driest
Places on Earth Is
Covered in Flowers
Oct 29, 2015 6:53 PM CDT
One of the Driest Places on Earth Is Covered in Flowers
The Atacama Desert is blooming thanks to record rainfall
- One of the driest, harshest landscapes in the world has been transformed into a psychedelic canvas of reds, purples, and greens after record-setting rain. Live Science reports that Chile's Atacama Desert averages just over half an inch of rain a year, with some parts of the desert getting even...
Make It Rain
Oct 29, 2015 6:19 PM CDT
Mushrooms Make It Rain
'Nothing else works like this in nature'
- It turns out mushrooms may be better for more than topping pizzas. Who knew? According to a study published Wednesday, mushrooms may actually help produce the rain they need to live. Discovery reports researchers documented a previously unknown system in which rain makes mushrooms grow, mushrooms release spores into the...
Year's El Nino
in case you missed it
Oct 18, 2015 11:25 AM CDT
What This Year's El Nino Will Mean for Winter
It will be wetter than normal in the South, drier near the Great Lakes
- The NOAA's winter forecast has arrived, and thanks to a well-known Pacific Ocean phenomenon, parts of the country can expect to be doused in plenty of chilly precipitation. "A strong El Nino is in place and should exert a strong influence over our weather this winter," Mike...
Yet Again as 18
Dams Let Loose
Oct 6, 2015 9:23 AM CDT
SC Devastated Yet Again as 18 Dams Let Loose
Governor says it may just be start of crisis after 'storm of historic proportions'
- Eleven deaths have been reported and at least 18 South Carolina dams have breached or failed completely since Saturday, per the state's emergency management agency, leaving the region reeling in the aftermath of its torrential weekend storm , CNN reports. Of the 11 deaths, seven were from drowning and four...
What Could Happen
Even If Joaquin
Oct 2, 2015 6:54 AM CDT
What Could Happen Even If Joaquin Doesn't Hit
Storm staying out at sea so far, but it will probably still rain hard on land
- Hurricane Joaquin remains a Category 4 storm that's currently battering the Bahamas, but the East Coast may dodge one bullet this weekend if the storm keeps to its offshore path, Weather.com and CNN report. Tracking maps show Joaquin solidly out in the Atlantic and set to keep veering...
Northwest's 'Milky Rain'
Mystery Is Solved
Jun 14, 2015 1:11 PM CDT
Northwest's 'Milky Rain' Mystery Is Solved
Chalky substance came from dry lake bed in Oregon: scientists
- Some 15 cities along a 200-mile stretch of the Pacific Northwest were coated in a mysterious, chalky substance on Feb. 6 after "milky rain" fell from the sky. For months, the white substance has been considered a "good old-fashioned weather mystery," per CNN . Now, it's a...
Get Their Smell
Jan 20, 2015 8:33 AM CST
How Raindrops Get Their Smell
MIT researchers reveal the mechanism that releases the earthy smell of fresh rain
- If you think rain has a distinct scent, you're not imagining it. Petrichor, that earthy smell that accompanies light showers, could be the result of raindrops releasing aerosols, which are tiny amounts of liquid suspended in gas, reports MIT News . "Rain happens every day—it’s raining now,...
Family's Rescue a 'Good Story in Time for Christmas'
Dec 22, 2014 10:15 AM CST
Family's Rescue a 'Good Story in Time for Christmas'
Steven Van Lonkhuyzen and his 2 boys lived on rainwater, 4 days' worth of food
- After double tragedies rocked Australia last week, farmer Tom Wagner couldn't bear hearing about another. So when he heard a dad and his two young sons had disappeared on a road trip and been missing for a week, Wagner canceled his waterskiing plans, conferred with other local farmers and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.