Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Congress Clears Bill
to Avert Shutdown
Dec 2, 2021 10:49 PM CST
Congress Clears Bill to Avert Shutdown
Senate passes stopgap measure shortly after House
Shortly after the House passed a stopgap bill to avert a partial government shutdown, the Senate did the same, by a vote of 69-28. There had been talk of GOP members holding up the measure, but that didn't come to pass. "I am glad that in the...
Pelosi Delays Big Vote
Oct 1, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Shutdown Averted, Pelosi Delays Big Vote
Meanwhile, Manchin wants Biden's $3.5T plan cut to $1.5T
President Joe Biden on Thursday night signed legislation to keep the government funded through Dec. 3, with just hours to spare before a government shutdown, the AP reports. Also Thursday night, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi delayed a vote on the $1 trillion infrastructure bill. CNN notes Democrats may be...
'No Room for Error' as
Shutdown Deadline Nears
Sep 30, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
'No Room for Error' as Shutdown Deadline Nears
Stopgap bill would fund government agencies through early December
- The White House told federal agencies last week to prepare for a government shutdown but it now appears that a shutdown will be avoided just before the deadline of midnight Thursday. The House and Senate are expected to vote on a short-term funding patch Thursday, but CNN reports that lawmakers...
Congress Has Monumental
Tasks This Week
Sep 27, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Congress Has Monumental Tasks This Week
A potentially disastrous shutdown, plus the fate of Biden's domestic agenda is at stake
- President Biden has relatively little on on his calendar this week, for good reason. The fate of his White House agenda pretty much hangs in the balance in Congress, and he might be needed to woo lawmakers, perhaps even with a trip to Capitol Hill himself, reports CNN . Three massive—...
Prepare for Shutdown
Sep 23, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
White House: Prepare for Shutdown
Democrats don't have an answer to GOP threats to block lifting of debt ceiling
- Lacking a plan to avert the crisis—publicly, at least—White House officials are telling federal agencies to prepare for a government shutdown. Both parties have said it won't come to that, but Congress remains on that course. Government funding runs out on Sept. 30, the
Shutdown Looms as House
Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Sep 21, 2021 5:56 PM CDT
Shutdown Looms as House Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Dems cut $1B in 'Iron Dome' funding
- The House rushed headlong Tuesday into a vote on legislation to fund the government, suspend the federal debt limit, and provide disaster and refugee aid, forcing a showdown with Republicans who oppose the package despite the risk of a fiscal crisis. The federal government faces a shutdown if funding stops...
Sign the Bill,
Dec 27, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Sign the Bill, Lawmakers Tell Trump
Congress can approve more relief later, both parties say
- Lawmakers of both parties pressed President Trump on Sunday to sign the COVID-19 relief and spending bill, after unemployment benefits for millions of Americans expired overnight. "What the president is doing right now is unbelievably cruel," said Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. "So many people are hurting....
Late Deal Averts
a Government Shutdown
Dec 11, 2020 2:42 PM CST
Late Deal Averts a Government Shutdown
Congress gets more time, will continue working on COVID package
- Congress shipped a temporary government-wide funding bill to President Trump on Friday, averting a government shutdown at midnight and buying time for on-again, off-again talks on COVID-19 relief. The bill, which sets a new shutdown deadline of midnight next Friday, passed the Senate by a unanimous voice vote that came...
Bipartisan COVID Relief Deal
Appears to Be Doomed
Dec 11, 2020 4:44 AM CST
Bipartisan COVID Relief Deal Appears to Be Doomed
Mitch McConnell says GOP senators won't support aid to states
- An emerging $900 billion COVID-19 aid package from a bipartisan group of lawmakers has all but collapsed after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republican senators won't support $160 billion in state and local funds as part of a potential trade-off in the deal. McConnell's staff conveyed to...
Trump Signs Bill
to Avoid Shutdown
Oct 1, 2020 7:06 AM CDT
Trump Signs Bill to Avoid Shutdown During Election
Federal funding ran out at midnight
- Federal funding ran out when the new fiscal year started at midnight, which would normally trigger a shutdown—but agencies waited for President Trump to return from a Minnesota rally and sign a stopgap spending bill. A similar funding lapse happened "with little consequence" for a few hours in...
House Passes Bill to Avert
Another Possible Shutdown
Sep 19, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Avert Another Possible Shutdown
Senate expected to approve stopgap measure next week
- The House passed a short-term bill Thursday to prevent a federal shutdown when the budget year ends Sept. 30, and give lawmakers until the Thanksgiving break to negotiate and approve $1.4 trillion for federal agencies. The Senate is expected to approve the stopgap bill next week, the AP reports....
Trump Looking for
'Land Mines' in Border Deal
Feb 13, 2019 12:29 PM CST
Trump Looking for 'Land Mines' in Border Deal
Most predict he will sign it
- It's the billion-dollar-and-change question: Will President Trump sign a tentative bipartisan border deal that would allocate $1.38 billion for border fencing (he has maintained he needs $5.7 billion) and avoid a second government shutdown at midnight Friday?
reports the House has scheduled a vote for...
Negotiators Strike Deal on
Border to Avoid Shutdown
Feb 12, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Negotiators Strike Deal on Border to Avoid Shutdown
Measure has $1.4B for fences, not $5.7B for president's proposed wall
- Congressional negotiators announced an agreement late Monday to prevent a government shutdown and finance construction of new barriers along the US-Mexico border, the AP reports. Negotiators tentatively agreed to far less money for President Trump's border wall than the White House's $5.7 billion wish list, settling for...
About a Wall
Feb 11, 2019 10:05 AM CST
New Shutdown Impasse Isn't About a Wall
2 sides can't agree on number of immigrants that can be detained; deadline is Friday
- Don't look now, but the three-week reprieve that ended the recent government shutdown expires this week. If negotiators can't reach a deal before midnight Friday, a new shutdown begins, notes CNBC . What's worse, talks aren't going well . This time around, the big sticking point isn't...
Mood Sours on
Border Security Talks
Feb 10, 2019 4:30 PM CST
Mood Sours on Border Security Talks
The acting White House chief of staff issues a warning
- Bargainers clashed Sunday over whether to limit the number of migrants authorities can detain, tossing a new hurdle before negotiators hoping to strike a border security compromise for Congress to pass this coming week, the AP reports. The White House wouldn't rule out a renewed partial government shutdown if...
Stacey Abrams: 'We
Do Not Succeed Alone'
Feb 6, 2019 12:14 AM CST
Stacey Abrams: 'We Do Not Succeed Alone'
Democrat delivers powerful SOTU response
- Stacey Abrams stepped onto the biggest stage of her political career Tuesday and accused President Trump and his fellow Republicans of abandoning working Americans and fomenting partisan and cultural discord. The Georgia Democrat introduced herself to the nation months after narrowly losing her bid to become America's first black...
Joshua Trees' Recovery From
Shutdown May Take Centuries
Jan 30, 2019 10:09 AM CST
Joshua Trees' Recovery From Shutdown May Take Centuries
Slow-to-grow trees were chopped down, driven over
- Park rangers furloughed during the 35-day government shutdown are back to work at Joshua Tree National Park with plenty of damage to repair. With a sharply reduced crew at work during the shutdown, "a few vandals or people acting out of ignorance" took vehicles off road, knocked over gates...
House Dems to Force
Vote Against Shutdowns
Jan 30, 2019 5:39 AM CST
House Dems to Force Vote Against Shutdowns
GOP not happy about symbolic vote they call 'totally partisan' messaging
- House Democrats are planning to hold a vote against government shutdowns on Wednesday—a symbolic move that will do nothing to prevent another shutdown, but will force House Republicans to go on the record as being for or against shutdowns. A draft of the measure seen by Politico states that...
Shutdown's Permanent Toll
on Economy Is a Small One
Jan 28, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Shutdown's Permanent Toll on Economy Is a Small One
By year's end, GDP will be 0.02% smaller because of the shutdown
- The federal government shutdown will cause slight permanent harm to the economy—about $3 billion—according to a report Monday by the Congressional Budget Office. The report says the five-week shutdown has slowed growth in the near term but that most of the lost growth "will eventually be recovered,...
Trump: Ann Coulter
Has Become 'Very Hostile'
Jan 28, 2019 6:52 AM CST
Trump: Ann Coulter Has Become 'Very Hostile'
He says chances of border deal are less than 50/50
- A bipartisan group of 17 lawmakers has been tasked with forging a deal on border security before a three-week deal to fund the government comes to end—but President Trump isn't holding his breath. He tells the
Wall Street Journal
that he thinks the group's chances of reaching...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.