Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guy Who Surfs With Pet
Python Hit With a Fine
Sep 19, 2023 12:21 PM CDT
Guy Who Surfs With Pet Python Hit With a Fine
Wildlife authorities aren't pleased with Australia's Higor Fiuza and his snake, Shiva
- Higor Fiuza is a familiar face in the beach community along Australia's Gold Coast, and he's often got Shiva in tow. Shiva isn't the name of his surfboard, or a canine companion—that's his pet
python, who accompanies Fiuza in the water as he...
Australia Goes After
'Ruthless Killers': Feral Cats
Sep 16, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Australia Goes After 'Ruthless Killers': Feral Cats
They're blamed for killing billions of animals a year
- "They are walking, stalking, ruthless killers." That's how Australia's minister for the Environment and Water characterizes cats—feral ones specifically, not pets kept indoors—and she's laid out a series of ideas to majorly tamp down their numbers. The animals are blamed for wreaking havoc...
There Was No Record
of Koalas Here. Until Now
Sep 14, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
There Was No Record of Koalas Here. Until Now
Cat-sized 'Lumakoala' could be marsupials' missing link in Australia's Northern Territory
- The modern koala is a well-known and well-loved marsupial, but researchers know surprisingly little about its evolution. Indeed, they describe an "approximately 30-million-year-gap" in the fossil record of Australian marsupials, or diprotodontians, a group including kangaroos, wallabies, and wombats. That gap may be closing, however. Researchers say they've...
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies
Need to Lose Their Jobs
Sep 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies Need to Lose Their Jobs
Multimillionaire Tim Gurner courts controversy in saying workers need to be shown their place
- One of Australia's richest men has apologized after calling for 270,000 job losses to show workers their place. Gurner Group founder and CEO Tim Gurner, a multimillionaire real-estate tycoon, was speaking at the
Australian Financial Review
's property summit on Tuesday when he said workers have become "...
He Lost Life Savings to Scam.
The Bank Stepped Up
Sep 12, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
He Lost Life Savings to Scam. The Bank Stepped Up
Australia's ANZ recognized 78-year-old Alex Shaw, who has dementia, had been taken for $300K
- An elderly man from Down Under who was scammed out of his life savings has received a reprieve, in a tale described by the Good News Network as "a story of corporate responsibility in the face of personal tragedy." ABC Australia notes that although scam victims in the...
Man Killed Trying
to Get Snake
Off His Friend
Sep 11, 2023 3:15 AM CDT
Man Killed Trying to Get Snake Off His Friend
Snake ended up biting him, and he could not be saved
- An Australian man trying to help a friend who was being attacked by a snake ended up dead when the snake bit him. Authorities say the two men were at Koumala State School in Queensland, for an event celebrating the school's 100th anniversary Saturday night, when the snake coiled...
Mystery Plant Thief
Turned Out to Be a Koala
Sep 8, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Mystery Plant Thief Turned Out to Be a Koala
Claude was nabbed after he ate so much he couldn't move
- At the nursery he owns in Australia, Humphrey Herington grows plants to restore koala habitats, but he was still surprised when the animal that had been chowing down on his seedlings turned out to be a koala, a species not known for intrepid behavior. Herington tells the BBC that when...
It Was a Daunting Antarctic
Rescue—but a Successful One
Sep 5, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
It Was a Daunting Antarctic Rescue—but a Successful One
An Australian icebreaker made it to within 89 miles of the ill man
- An Australian who fell ill at a remote Antarctic base is returning home on an icebreaker following a daunting mission to rescue him, authorities said Tuesday. The man was working at the Casey research station when he suffered from what authorities described as a developing medical condition that needed specialist...
In First, Doc Pulls
Live Worm From
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 2, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
In First, Doc Pulls Live Worm From Human Brain
Australian neurosurgeon was as grossed out as you are
- The call went out to Dr. Sanjaya Senanayake, an infectious diseases physician at Canberra Hospital in Australia, from a neurosurgeon who'd just performed brain surgery. "Oh, my god, you wouldn't believe what I just found in this lady's brain," Dr. Hari Priya Bandi said, according...
That Went Down
in Australia Has
Aug 28, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Marines Aircraft That Went Down in Australia Has Crash History
8 US troops remain in Aussie hospital after weekend accident that killed 3 of their colleagues
- Eight US Marines remained in a hospital in the Australian north coast city of Darwin on Monday after they were injured in a fiery crash of a tilt-rotor aircraft that killed three of their colleagues on an island. All 20 survivors were flown from Melville Island, 50 miles south, to...
3 US Marines Dead
in Training Crash
Aug 27, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
3 US Marines Dead in Training Crash
Several others injured when Osprey aircraft goes down in Australia
- Tragedy for the US Marines Sunday in Australia: Three members of the service were killed and at least five more were in serious condition after an Osprey aircraft crashed during a training mission, reports CNN . A total of 23 people were aboard the MV-22B aircraft when it went down on...
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in
AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Aug 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Inquiry identifies person of interest, long since dead
- Australian authorities say they've identified a person of interest in the murder of AC/DC manager Crispin Dye some three decades after the fact. Dye, 41, a musician in his own right, was celebrating the release of his first solo album under the name "Cris Kemp" in a suburb...
After Fatal Mushroom Meal,
Cook Calls It an Accident
Aug 14, 2023 11:38 AM CDT
After Fatal Mushroom Meal, Cook Calls It an Accident
Australia's Erin Patterson gives her account to police after 3 deaths
- The woman who cooked a meal with mushrooms that killed three people and nearly a fourth has given her first account to police, and she insists it was all a terrible accident. "I really want to repeat that I had absolutely no reason to hurt these people, whom I...
Australian Cops Investigate
Deadly Mushroom Lunch
Aug 8, 2023 11:37 AM CDT
Australian Cops Investigate Deadly Mushroom Lunch
Three people are dead, one more is hospitalized, and a daughter-in-law is a suspect
- Police in rural Australia are trying to figure out whether a deadly mushroom meal was accidental or sinister. Three people are dead and a fourth remains hospitalized after they ate lunch at the home of Erin Patterson in Leongatha, reports the
. Patterson herself is fine, as are her two...
That Washed Up on
Aussie Beach Identified
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 5, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Mystery Object That Washed Up on Aussie Beach Identified
Australian Space Agency says it's space junk from Indian rocket; India's space group needs to confirm
- The mystery of a giant metal object that washed up on an Australian beach may finally be solved. Phys.org reports that when the "bulky, barnacle-encrusted cylinder" turned up in mid-July on the shores of Green Head, located north of Perth in Western Australia, whispers circulated that it could...
4 Missing After Helicopter
Goes Down in Drill With US
Jul 29, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
4 Missing After Helicopter Goes Down in Drill With US
Search for Australian crew is centered off coast of Queensland
- Four air crew members were missing after an Australian army helicopter ditched into waters off the Queensland state coast during joint military exercises with the US, officials said Saturday. The MRH-90 Taipan helicopter went down near Lindeman Island, a Great Barrier Reef tourist resort, around about 11pm Friday, exercise director...
Lizzo Does an
Jul 24, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Lizzo Does an Aussie 'Shoey'
Under duress from the crowd, star takes a modified shot out of her shoe
- Lizzo took her tour Down Under, and Down Under did its best to take her down under—vis a vis a very Aussie, very strange drinking stunt. As Yahoo News reports, the rapper was performing at the Qudos Bank Arena on Sunday night when fans shanghaied her into doing a...
Psst, India, You May
Have Dropped Something
in case you missed it
Jul 22, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Psst, India, You May Have Dropped Something
Large, mysterious cylinder washes up on Australian beach, and it may be space junk
- The mystery of a large and unidentified object that baffled beachgoers in Australia may have been solved: Authorities suspect the cylindrical object is a piece of junk from a foreign rocket, reports ABC Australia . The whatever-it-is is about the size of a small car, notes the AP , and it washed...
Games Only Ever Canceled
During WWII Are Now in Doubt
Jul 18, 2023 4:53 PM CDT
Games Only Ever Canceled During WWII Are Now in Doubt
Victoria backs out as host for the 2026 games
- Since 1930, the Commonwealth Games have run every four years with two exceptions: 1942 and 1946, when they were canceled due to WWII. Now, the 2026 Games are looking shaky after the Australian state of Victoria reneged on its offer to host—raising questions about the "relevance" of an...
Pending Nazi Artifacts Law
Boosts Sales in Australia
Jun 23, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Pending Nazi Artifacts Law Boosts Sales in Australia
Anti-defamation official denounces auctions, which included signed Hitler pictures
- Anticipation of a ban in Australia on selling Nazi artifacts has created what an anti-defamation official calls a "repulsive phenomenon"—buyers rushing to snap up offensive reminders of a horrific period. "I've been a full-time dealer for 14 years and I've never seen the number...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.