Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Romney: Nearly Anybody Would
Be 'an Upgrade' Over Trump
Nov 26, 2023 3:35 PM CST
Romney: Nearly Anybody Would Be 'an Upgrade' Over Trump
Former GOP nominee says he finds Biden charming but disagrees with him
- Sen. Mitt Romney has made clear the breadth of his anti-Donald Trump sentiment, saying he'd cheerfully vote for several Democrats and nearly every Republican over the former president. Well, "maybe not Vivek," Romney said of entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy. But the others. "I'd be happy to support...
Iowa Woman Convicted
of Trying Too Hard to
Get Husband Elected
Nov 22, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Iowa Woman Convicted of Trying Too Hard to Get Husband Elected
Kim Taylor faces up to 5 years behind bars on each charge
- The wife of an Iowa county supervisor was convicted Tuesday of a ballot-stuffing scheme meant to help her husband win a congressional race. Kim Taylor, who is from Vietnam and who filled out ballots on behalf of Iowa voters of Vietnamese heritage with limited English comprehension, was found guilty of...
Boo Trump Criticism
Nov 4, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Florida Republicans Boo Trump Criticism
'You fear the truth,' Christie tells crowd
- Support for Donald Trump drowned out his Republican opponents at Florida's GOP gathering on Saturday. Asa Hutchinson was booed and jeered when he said in his speech that there's a good chance Trump will be convicted in the trials he's facing, and he called the former president'...
Second GOP Candidate
Drops From the Race
Oct 10, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Second GOP Candidate Drops From the Race
Will Hurd joins Francis Suarez on sidelines after failing to qualify for first 2 debates
- Former Texas congressman Will Hurd suspended his presidential bid on Monday and endorsed fellow GOP primary candidate Nikki Haley, officially abandoning a brief campaign built on criticizing Donald Trump at a time when his party seems even more determined to embrace the former president. "While I appreciate all the...
Preps for a
Sep 28, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Preps for a New Fight
Republican to announce run for Arizona Senate seat next month, per 'WSJ'
- While still appealing her loss in last year's Arizona gubernatorial race, Kari Lake will mount a new fight—to snag Kyrsten Sinema's Senate seat. The former TV news anchor tells the
Wall Street Journal
that she'll launch her campaign with a rally on Oct. 10, setting up...
Trump Rises in Polls
After Mugshot Release
Aug 30, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Trump Rises in Polls After Mugshot Release
Recent surveys show former president increasing his lead over rivals for GOP nomination
- A presidential candidate who skips debates and has had a mugshot released after one of several criminal indictments wouldn't normally be expected to stay in the race, let alone remain the frontrunner. But the latter is exactly what's happening for former President Trump, whose lead over rivals for...
a Hot Topic
in GOP Field
Jul 24, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Tim Scott Is Suddenly a Hot Topic in GOP Field
South Carolina senator is rising in the polls and drawing donors in the 2024 race
- The two big narratives in the GOP race are that Donald Trump has cemented himself as the formidable frontrunner and Ron DeSantis is languishing . But now a third narrative is emerging, one that has South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott on the upswing. If it's true that voters seem to...
8 Republican Candidates
Roll In for Iowa Rally
Jun 3, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
8 Republican Candidates Roll In for Iowa Rally
All, minus Trump, speak at senator's yearly event
- Amid plates of sliced pork, statement-making leather ensembles and piles of political T-shirts, eight Republican presidential hopefuls descended on Iowa on Saturday to pitch themselves to voters and—in Mike Pence's case—hop on a motorcycle. The former vice president and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis were among the White...
In Campaign Kickoff, DeSantis
Has Fighting Words for Trump
May 31, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
In Campaign Kickoff, DeSantis Has Fighting Words for Trump
In Iowa speech, Florida governor says 'I'm going to fight back' against his main GOP presidential rival
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis stepped into Iowa on Tuesday for the first time as a Republican presidential candidate and stepped up to former President Trump, vowing to "fight back" against Trump as the GOP's 2024 campaign enters a new phase. Until now, the 44-year-old Republican governor whose slogan...
Republican Who Lied About
Military Record Drops 2024 Bid
May 31, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Republican Who Lied About Military Record Drops 2024 Bid
JR Majewski exits race for Ohio's 9th Congressional District to be with ailing mom
- A Republican congressional candidate accused of misrepresenting his military record has dropped out of the race for Ohio's 9th Congressional District. Pro-Trump Republican JR Majewski cited his mother's ailing health in a statement that also revealed his father died during the last election cycle, when Majewski lost the...
Just Got More
May 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
The 2024 GOP Race Just Got More Interesting
Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina officially files the paperwork to run in 2024
- He's in. GOP Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina filed the paperwork Friday to run for president in 2024 with the Federal Election Commission, reports CNN . Scott, the only Black Republican senator, is expected to have a traditional campaign launch on Monday. The paperwork isn't the only Scott...
David Brooks: For GOP, the
Choice Isn't 'Trump or DeSantis'
Mar 17, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
David Brooks: For GOP, the Choice Isn't 'Trump or DeSantis'
It's between them and what he sees as a saner branch of the party
- Conventional wisdom at the moment says the GOP 2024 race will boil down to former President Trump vs. Ron DeSantis. Or as
New York Times
columnist David Brooks describes it, a race "between populist Tweedledum and populist Tweedledee." Brooks doesn't see much difference between them—both are...
Getting Buzz as
Feb 21, 2023 12:12 PM CST
Chris Sununu Getting Buzz as 2024 Contender
New Hampshire's GOP governor positions himself as 'normal' alternative to Trump
- New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu has been making noises about running for president in the 2024 election, though the Republican hasn't officially announced a campaign. He has, however, set up a political action committee, notes the Hill . The 48-year-old also is keeping a relatively high profile in the national...
Feb 1, 2023 5:45 PM CST
GOP Senators Differ With Trump on DeSantis
Running for president wouldn't be disloyal, it would be politics, Republicans say
- Several Republican senators say whether Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis runs for president is up to him, not Donald Trump. "I think we need some new blood," Sen. John Cornyn said when asked about a DeSantis candidacy, "and I think he'd probably qualify." The former president...
Loser Tonight Is
Nov 9, 2022 8:07 AM CST
'The Biggest Loser Tonight Is Donald Trump'
Former president's endorsements didn't go as well as he'd hoped during midterms
- Former President Trump has teased a "very big announcement" for next Tuesday, but that reveal—which many expect to be his official reveal that he's running for president in 2024—may now be tempered by the results of the midterms, which didn't produce the so-called red wave...
Nov 7, 2022 10:35 AM CST
First Big GOP Name Makes a Decision on 2024
Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton says it's a no for him on running for president the next time around
- As the waiting game continues on whether Donald Trump will run for president again, and on who else may join that GOP candidate pool, one potential contender has taken his name out of the running. Sources tell Politico and CNN that Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton has, over the past few...
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
in Senate Races
Aug 19, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
McConnell Worried About 'Candidate Quality' in Senate Races
Minority leader thinks the race for control of the chamber is too close to call
- Historically speaking, the party of the sitting US president loses ground in the midterms , ceding seats in the House or Senate, or both if it's a particularly brutal bloodbath. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding off on proclaiming any kind of premature victory in his own chamber...
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor
Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
May 14, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
Doug Mastriano has pushed lie of 2020 stolen election, said he'd make voters 'reregister' to vote
- Donald Trump on Saturday endorsed Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania's Republican primary for governor, siding with a far-right candidate who was outside the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection and has worked with determination to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. Mastriano was already leading a crowded...
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment
Over Pa. Senate Candidate
May 13, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment Over Pa. Senate Candidate
Kathy Barnette, surging in polls, makes some Republicans nervous with controversial history
- The race between Pennsylvania Republicans for Pat Toomey's seat in the US Senate had seemed to narrow down to two men: TV doctor Mehmet Oz and Army vet David McCormick. But as these two candidates have been going after each other with vitriolic TV ads, another candidate has had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.