Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspected Serial Killer
Is Killed in Prison
Sep 19, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
Suspected Serial Killer Is Killed in Prison
Billy Chemirmir accused of killing nearly two dozen elderly women
- A man accused of killing nearly two dozen older women and who was convicted last year in the slayings of two was killed Tuesday morning by his cellmate at a Texas prison, an official said. Billy Chemirmir, 50, was found dead in his cell, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice...
BTK Killer, Cold Case
Sep 13, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Sheriff 'Furious' About DA's Remarks on BTK Killer, Cold Case
Sheriff, DA in dispute over his possible involvement in death of Cynthia Kinney
- An Oklahoma sheriff said Dennis Rader, who dubbed himself the "BTK Killer," was a prime suspect in the disappearance of a 16-year-old cheerleader whose body was never found. But now the local district attorney is saying there's not enough evidence to label Rader a suspect in the...
Serial Killer Ex-Cop
Dies on Death Row
Sep 12, 2023 7:37 PM CDT
Serial Killer Ex-Cop Dies on Death Row
Anthony Sully was on death row for nearly 40 years
- A former California police officer turned serial killer who was on death row after being convicted of murdering six people in the 1980s has died of natural causes, authorities said. Anthony Sully, 79, died Friday at a medical facility outside the San Quentin Rehabilitation Center, where he had been housed...
At BTK Killer's Former Home,
a Find 'Worthy of Disclosure'
Aug 23, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
At BTK Killer's Former Home, a Find 'Worthy of Disclosure'
Oklahoma authorities are said to be looking into the 1976 disappearance of Cynthia Kinney
- "BTK killer" Dennis Rader has been serving 10 life sentences since 2005, but investigators haven't closed the book on him—and a new search of one of his former properties has returned "something worthy of disclosure," they say. NBC News reports deputies from Osage County, Oklahoma,...
Abducted by a Serial Killer in
'81, She Finally Tells Her Story
Aug 19, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Abducted by a Serial Killer in '81, She Finally Tells Her Story
Margy Palm opens up to 'Vanity Fair'
- "I became friends with a serial killer," says Margy Palm. But not just any serial killer—the one who may have very well intended to kill her. Palm tells her story in detail for the first time to Julie Miller for
. Now 72, the San Antonio...
Search of Heuermann's Home
Yields 'Massive Amount'
Jul 26, 2023 12:20 AM CDT
Search of Heuermann's Home Yields 'Massive Amount' of Evidence
But DA says it will take time to catalog, analyze
- The nearly two-week-long search of the home of suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann is over, authorities announced Tuesday, and a "massive amount" of evidence was recovered. Not much else was revealed, with the district attorney warning that it would "take some time" to catalog and analyze...
Cops Think Heuermann
Killed at His Home
Jul 21, 2023 5:53 AM CDT
Cops Think Heuermann Killed at His Home
Suspected LI serial killer's family was out of town when women disappeared: source
- The women believed to have been murdered by the Gilgo Beach serial killer all disappeared during times that the family of the newly arrested suspect in the Long Island slayings, Rex Heuermann, was out of town. For that reason, a source connected to the investigation tells CNN , investigators are operating...
Texas Man Arrested in
Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Jul 20, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Texas Man Arrested in Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, allegedly killed 3 women over 4 months in Dallas
- Another suspected serial killer has surfaced, this time in Texas. Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, was arrested Wednesday and will be charged with three counts of murder tied to the deaths of three women in Dallas from April through July. All three women were found stabbed to death near the Trinity...
Cops: Suspected Serial Killer
Had an 'Arsenal' at Home
Jul 18, 2023 5:47 PM CDT
Cops: Suspected Serial Killer Had an 'Arsenal' at Home
More than 200 firearms have been removed from Rex Heuermann's Long Island home
- Alleged serial killer Rex Heuermann was arrested last week at his Manhattan office instead of his home because of concerns about the huge number of weapons he kept at his Long Island residence, authorities say. Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison says the 59-year-old architect kept more than 200 guns...
Suspected Serial Killer
at Jail: 'Is It in the News?'
Jul 18, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Suspected Serial Killer at Jail: 'Is It in the News?'
Meanwhile, DA says suspect's DNA was found on victim's body
- During intake at the jail after he was arrested on suspicion of murdering at least three women in Long Island's Gilgo Beach, Rex Heuermann had just one question, a source tells CNN : "Is it in the news?" The 59-year-old was placed on suicide watch, a Suffolk County Sheriff'...
Alleged Serial Killer
Were Eerily On-Point
Jul 17, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Predictions About Alleged Serial Killer Were Eerily On-Point
Criminologists turned out to be right about what the suspect might be like
New York Times
takes a look back at its own 2011 article on the Gilgo Beach serial killer, and the results are eerie: Criminologists interviewed by the paper at the time said the suspect would be a white man in his mid-20s to mid-40s who was either married or...
Alleged NY Serial Killer
Is a 59-Year-Old Architect
Jul 14, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Alleged NY Serial Killer Is a 59-Year-Old Architect
Rex Heuermann faces murder charges related to three women so far in Long Island
- Authorities say a notorious serial killer on Long Island is a 59-year-old architect named Rex Heuermann who murdered his victims while his wife was out of town. "This is a day that is a long time in coming, and hopefully a day that will bring peace to this community...
Suspected Long Island
Serial Killer Arrested
Jul 14, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Suspected Long Island Serial Killer Arrested
Architect Rex Heuermann linked to bodies found along Ocean Parkway in 2010: reports
- The Long Island serial killer has allegedly been found. Police in New York's Suffolk County have arrested a man allegedly tied to the Gilgo Beach murders on Long Island, which have stumped law enforcement for more than a decade. Authorities have found 11 sets of remains along Ocean Parkway...
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's
Fourth Victim Identified
Jun 9, 2023 6:03 AM CDT
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's Fourth Victim Identified
Kerry Ann Cummings' family last heard from her in 1997
- For more than 25 years, family members wondered what had happened to Kerry Ann Cummings. Thanks to forensic genealogy, they now have closure, but her fate was a grim one. Investigators say Cummings, who was 25 years old and suffering from untreated mental illness when her family last heard from...
Woman Suspected of
Killing 13 With Cyanide
Apr 27, 2023 4:39 PM CDT
Woman Suspected of Killing 13 With Cyanide
Thai woman's alleged victims include friends, police officers, boyfriend
- The former wife of a senior police officer in Thailand is suspected of being a serial killer with more than a dozen victims. Authorities believe Sararat Rangsiwuthaporn started killing people she knew, including two female police officers, with cyanide in 2020, the BBC reports. Police say the 36-year-old had a...
Have Info on the 'Doodler'?
Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 26, 2023 6:09 AM CST
Have Info on the 'Doodler'? Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Police in San Francisco up the pot to $250K, release new sketch in search for '70s serial killer
- Last year, police upped the reward in their search for the "Doodler," a serial killer from the '70s who went after gay men. Now, they've increased the pot even more, this time from $200,000 to $250,000, and released a new sketch of the suspect,...
in the '70s. Now
Dec 23, 2022 12:51 PM CST
'The Serpent' Killed Backpackers in the '70s. Now He's Free
Admitted serial killer Charles Sobhraj is released from a Nepal prison
- Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for killing American and Canadian backpackers and was taken to the airport for a flight back to Paris, his attorney said. His alleged killings were dramatized in a series co-produced...
Nepal to Free Serial Killer
Who Preyed on Hippies
Dec 21, 2022 3:24 PM CST
Nepal to Free Serial Killer Who Preyed on Hippies
Charles Sobhraj was convicted of killing two backpackers in 1975
- The man known as "the Serpent"—a French serial killer who went after travelers on the "hippie trail" of Southeast Asia in the 1970s—will soon be freed from prison in Nepal. The country's Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered that Charles Sobhraj be released due to...
No Sign of Bodies
at Former Home of
Alleged Serial Killer
Dec 9, 2022 7:44 AM CST
No Sign of Bodies at Former Home of Alleged Serial Killer
Lucy Studey maintains she helped bury bodies on property where cadaver dogs registered hits
- There's no evidence of a serial killer at an Iowa property where a woman claims she helped her father bury up to 70 bodies, officials say. After an exhaustive search involving "an array of experts representing several disciplines and significant assets to excavate, collect, and examine soil samples...
Ex-Border Patrol Agent
Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Dec 8, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Ex-Border Patrol Agent Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Juan David Ortiz convicted of capital murder
- A former US Border Patrol agent was convicted of capital murder Wednesday in the slayings of four women in Texas in 2018. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, so Juan David Ortiz will receive an automatic sentence of life behind bars without the possibility of parole, the AP reports.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.